Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Star Prepaid Maintenence

Has anyone purchased or considered a MBZ prepaid maintenence plan for their Sprinter. Best price I have received so far is $2639 for a 6/60k plan which for me would be 6 years. It gets you 3 "A" services and 3 "B" services including the one at year 4 that includes changing belts and transmission fluid and filter.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
Has anyone purchased or considered a MBZ prepaid maintenence plan for their Sprinter. Best price I have received so far is $2639 for a 6/60k plan which for me would be 6 years. It gets you 3 "A" services and 3 "B" services including the one at year 4 that includes changing belts and transmission fluid and filter.
Didn't even know they offered something like that. I never even took my Interstate to an MB/Sprinter dealer until it was nearly a year old already, and they never mentioned it then.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
they do offer one however you have to purchase it prior to one year or first 10k service. On the 14' I believe you can purchase up to 1 year or 15K and the plan is a little cheaper as you are only paying for 4 services.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Different

Hmmm. This is different from the usual warranty-extension ripoffs. Sounds intriguing. How much did your last trip to the dealer for service cost?

Slight hijack: I get about 3 calls a month offering to extend the warranty on my 2008 Silverado. Yeah, the one that was totalled last June. So much for data mining.

Paula
Old 01-22-2014, 04:21 AM   #5
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Haven't been to a dealer for service yet as my rig only has 2,500ish miles. One service manager I spoke with estimated $4,580 for the fist 6 services so the potential savings would be $1,941. Smoking deal if his numbers are correct.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Does everyone feel that they have to go to a Mercedes dealer to get service, especially oil changes? Once my cars are out of warranty I have no issues with utilizing any competent garage for service.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
I'm speaking regarding MB automobiles not motor homes, this is the information I was given early on: oil changes can be done anywhere (keep your records in your service book). The scheduled a and b services should be done by your MB dealer. Failing to do so could compromise warranty.

After the warranty period, any capable location can do the routine maintenance, most for a much better price than MB.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
Does everyone feel that they have to go to a Mercedes dealer to get service, especially oil changes? Once my cars are out of warranty I have no issues with utilizing any competent garage for service.
I'd go back to Mercedes Benz for engine repair, but for any other service, I'd go wherever is most convenient.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #9
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
My previous rv which was on a Sprinter V6 chassis was damaged by a Ford/RV dealer when doing an oil/filter and fuel filter change. That dealer somehow managed to damage a turbo hose at the top of the engine while accessing the fuel filter. He had the vehicle transported to a Dodge/Sprinter dealer who fixed the problem at the Ford dealer's expense. I have never before purchased a maintenence contract on any vehicle however due to the complexity of the sprinter and the expensive recommended service items I decided to go with the Mercedes Prepaid plan. Wound up getting it for $2,399 for 6 years/60k miles.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Wow -- that is a very good deal!
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
I would not hesitate using an independent garage - if it is good. Even under warranty.

We have owned an number of Mercedes sedans. Never took one to the dealer for service, just warranty issues. We used a local service shop that was the best. Factory parts and high quality fluids is all he uses. Services were 1/2 - 2/3 the price the dealer charged. Repairs were always done right.

On the other hand, our Ford trucks have been serviced only by the dealer who is consistent, fast and reasonably priced.

I would look carefully at such a service plan or anything with terms and conditions. There is a good chance the dealer may have to find ways to "improve his profit" years down the road when labor, parts and fluid prices go up due to our vodoo economy.

Your option to take your business elsewhere is a major incentive for the service center to keep you satisfied. With a plan like this you have to take it or leave.

If you put that money in the bank and find a top notch truck shop for service, you have the option of the dealer or other shops, even while on the road.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
I would not hesitate using an independent garage - if it is good. Even under warranty.
Some states, including Louisiana, prohibit third-party warranty service. In those states, warranty service must be performed by a dealer. But once the warranty expires, or if the repair is something not covered under warranty…
Old 01-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Some states, including Louisiana, prohibit third-party warranty service. In those states, warranty service must be performed by a dealer. But once the warranty expires, or if the repair is something not covered under warranty…
Maybe I did not write that well.

Regular service work as prescribed by the factory, was done on our MB's at an independent garage. Warranty work was done by the MB dealer.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:39 PM   #14
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
I hear what you're saying Wayward but this plan doesn't lock me into a particular dealer. It is a MBZ plan good at all MBZ dealers who are reimbursed by MBZ for the services.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
FWIW, this vehicle is the easiest to change the oil & filter on since my son's CJ-7 as long as your drain pan will hold three gallons.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #16
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
How much did your last trip to the dealer for service cost?
I just had my 10,000 mile "A" service done (basically an oil change) and it was $290 at the Van Nuys, California MB dealership.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #17
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
My previous rv which was on a Sprinter V6 chassis was damaged by a Ford/RV dealer when doing an oil/filter and fuel filter change. That dealer somehow managed to damage a turbo hose at the top of the engine while accessing the fuel filter. He had the vehicle transported to a Dodge/Sprinter dealer who fixed the problem at the Ford dealer's expense. I have never before purchased a maintenence contract on any vehicle however due to the complexity of the sprinter and the expensive recommended service items I decided to go with the Mercedes Prepaid plan. Wound up getting it for $2,399 for 6 years/60k miles.
The plan I bought doesn't include the DEF which MB charges an arm and a leg for (plan is available with or without DEF) however my service manager told me to bring my own fluid when I came in for service and he would have it added for me. I just picked up my 14 AI after the one year service and they not only added the DEF but they also washed my coach which was filthy from a recent trip. Anyone condsidering one of these plans, keep in mind the dealer needs to tie the plan to the sale from MBZ to Airstream, not from Airstream Dealer to you. My plan was written for 6 services or 63,000 miles. Seems like a very good buy.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
That's a great deal. Based on my dealer's prices, those services would run about $5,500 and that doesn't include any rotate/balance or alignment.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:26 AM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
they also washed my coach which was filthy from a recent trip.
My MB/Sprinter dealer in Baton Rouge does that for every vehicle they service, whether you've got a prepaid maintenance plan or not. Now if I could just convince them to scrub the toilet in the wet bath for me as well…
Old 07-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #20
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
My MB/Sprinter dealer in Baton Rouge does that for every vehicle they service, whether you've got a prepaid maintenance plan or not. Now if I could just convince them to scrub the toilet in the wet bath for me as well…