Old 08-28-2016, 02:31 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Great RV Park

There's GREAT location right in downtown STL. Well maintained and quiet! Stay there EVERYTIME I visit family. Really, you're even near the BB stadium! St. Louis RV Park. Google them,

Old 08-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Great Location!!

https://www.stlouisrvpark.com

Park your baby here!!!! Then take cab to Arch and other downtown spots. Don't miss visit to the brewery and see the Clydsdayle horses!!

Old 08-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
3 years ago on our way home from picking up our Airstream in the Chicago area, we stopped at the arch and parked in the RV overflow parking. 30 minutes later we came back to find out the Airstream and my Suburban had broken into! I'll never go back to st. Louis.....

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alluminati View Post
St Louis is a safe place for people who donít look or act like a target. If you leave your valuables unattended on display, you are inviting thieves.

If you mind your own business, behave modestly, and pay attention to your surroundings, you will have no trouble at all.

The main difference between crime in St Louis and crime in St Charles (where the other recommended RV park is), is that St Charles is in denial.
Most people who have been robbed in the vicinity of the Arch know for a fact that this is not true. Paved and designated overflow parking for oversized Vehicles is clearly marked at the arch, the St.Louis police refuse to patrol this area. Many vehicles and RVs are broken into & robbed in this area.
The only thing I did to "invite" thieves to break into my property was to be naÔve enough to trust the outlying oversized parking area.
I would advise anybody in a motorhome or RV, 2 Park well outside of the st. Louis-area unhook and drive into the arch and park as close as possible. Call me "jaded", but in all my life I've always trusted people and been a good judge of my surroundings. After my interview with St. Louis police, I believe I was a fool for even stopping in St Louis!
Old 08-28-2016, 03:52 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Lamato,

Welcome to Missouri. Iím sure youíll have a good time while youíre here. Branson can be a lot of fun if you can stomach the traffic. We are planning a long weekend in Branson soon. The campground at Table Rock Lake State Park is one of our favorites. Itís a lot closer to nature than some of the private parks like the KOA (cheaper too). We used to pitch our tents right on the shore of the lake in campground 2. Havenít been down there in a while, and are looking forward to our upcoming visit.

One hour west of Table Rock Lake is Roaring River State Park. Itís a beautiful small park with some memorable hiking trails. They have decent campgrounds there too, but not as nice as Table Rock Lake. The river originates in the park from a giant spring at the bottom of a cliff. It is the site of a historic fish hatchery. You can tour the hatchery, and see some of the gigantic rainbow trout that live in the pool at the base of the spring. You can also get a day license to fish for trout in the river.

Sorry youíre getting all the bad vibes from those who visited for two days or lived here 35 years ago. (yeah, it was a stinky town back when they lived here, but címon, that was a generation ago!) I regularly ride my bicycle around downtown, and my scooter all over, including through East St Louis, which has a worse reputation than downtown has. As I said, wife and I live 2.5 miles from the Arch. I park my TV on a busy street by our apartment. My neighborhood is ultra scary if youíre allergic to people who donít look just like you. If thatís the case, then you probably wonít like it here, and youíll go on a forum like this and declare it dangerous after your not-brief-enough visit.

Next time you are thinking of visiting St Louis, let me know. There is TONS of stuff to do and see here. I could give you a tourism schedule that will keep you running for two weeks straight. Seriously. Ex. There is a Route 66 display at the History Museum right now which is well worth the visit. They even have a Bambi-size early 50s Airstream in the museum on display. You should see the world-class Art Museum, the world-famous St Louis Zoo, the Missouri Botanical Gardens with the historic Climatron, of course the Arch, and the Old Courthouse where the Dred Scott case was heard, the Science Center, Muny, Ted Drewes, and all things Route 66, Chain of Rocks Bridge, Scott Joplin House, Anheuser Busch brewery tour, Grantís Farm, Forest Park, Victorian Tower Grove Park, Central West End, The Loop, and Blueberry Hill where Chuck Berry still performs, Cherokee Antique Row, etc,... The list could go on and on but this is just off the top of my head. If I knew your personal interests, we could give a specialized itinerary if itís music, fine dining, architecture, theater, history,...

Please come visit us when you have the time. I know youíll enjoy it here.
(Is there no respect for an 8-ton CGVWR truck? *sniff* )
Alluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 06:24 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
aluminati,
whst do you know about 'streaming near collinsville to see the Indian mounds?
Old 08-28-2016, 08:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Thumbs up for the St. Louis RV park. Stayed there about two years ago - the Barnum and Bailey circus was in town - guess where they parked their trailers? We saw performers walking around in tights - memorable!
Yeah, it's just a big parking lot, but it's safe and convenient.
Have dinner at the Schlafly brewery pub while you're in town.
Illuminati is right.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:02 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Cahokia Mounds near Collinsville Illinois is a State Park with a great museum. Nearby is Horseshoe Lake Sate Park with a campground, but it's a bit isolated and creepy feeling. My wife grew up near there - maybe it's just her High School recollections.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:05 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman View Post
whst do you know about 'streaming near collinsville to see the Indian mounds?
Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site is well worth the trip if you are interested in ancient American civilization. The museum is interesting enough to breeze through, but if you have time, there are layers upon layers of information to hold your interest. Allow 2 hours for a causal swing-through to browse the museum and survey the landscape, or up to 6 hours to study all the museum has to offer plus time for climbing and walking.

You can learn from their website before you arrive.
http://cahokiamounds.org/

50 miles east of Cahokia Mounds is Carlyle Lake which is popular for sailboats.

20 miles northwest of Cahokia Mounds is historic Route 66 crossing of the Mississippi at the old Chain Of Rocks Bridge. The bridge is closed to motorized traffic, but is linked to the major bike trails in the region. Youíll see a bike or two, but mostly people enjoy walking across the river simply for the view. You can see the St. Louis skyline in miniature 15 miles to the south. Be sure to approach from the Illinois side of the bridge. I believe there is sufficient room to U-turn in the parking lot. Parking on the Missouri side of the bridge is closed.

A short hop north is the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. There are various parks with viewing platforms and towers on both Missouri and Illinois sides of the rivers.

Continue north to the charming river town of Alton Illinois. Then follow Highway 100 along the banks of the river. The drive is the destination. Take a deep breath, step on the clutch, and shift your transmission into RELAX. The hardwood forest on the bluffs to your right are spectacular when dressed in autumn glory. Or return in January with your binoculars to watch bald eagles fishing.

It will be time for a break when you get to Grafton IL. There are huge lots with bountiful parking on Water St. which runs parallel to the main road on the river side. Pull your big rig in, get out, and stretch your legs. Take a riverboat cruise. Go to the flea market. Get a gourmet ice cream cone.

After youíve had your fill of Grafton, youíre almost home. Just around the corner is Pere Marquette State Park. There may be more beautiful campgrounds in the world, but none is more serene. Claim a campsite with a river view. Tomorrow you can tour the old lodge and play lifesize chess in the lobby. Tomorrow you can ride your bicycle under the bluffs all the way back to Alton. Tomorrow you can go horseback riding. Tomorrow you can ride 2.5 miles of ziplines. Thereís a ton of stuff you can do tomorrow, but right now itís time to put up your feet and watch the majestic river glide by.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:48 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We stayed in a state park off of I-44 in the vicinity of Six Flags.
It was a nice park (until a large family of homeless people in tents moved in on the site next to me and I pushed on to Illinois Beach State Park in Zion, IL) with equestrian trails.
I rented a horse.
I can't remember the name of the park or the exact location, but it was west of St. Louis and north of I-44 I think...
That was in 1997 and in 2008.
Each time we drove to the arch (Jefferson National Expansion Memorial?) parking lot in the pickup.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I think itís important to be as precise and objective as possible when people ask questions such as the OPís. Not simply make blanket statements one way OR the other way on any issue.

Regarding safety, up-to-the-minute stats are hard to find, and of course the issue of crime is highly politicized and propagandized, making the analysis even more challenging. Nevertheless, some specific indicators are attainable from published data. St. Louis did have the highest per capita murder rate in the entire country in 2013 (per The Detroit News, citing FBI data). The Brennan Center for Justice again named St. Louis the murder capital of America in 2014, citing federal government crime statistics. Thatís not 35 years ago Ė thatís 2 years ago. Non-violent crimes are more difficult to track in part because they are distributed among several different crime categories and they are also heavily under-reported especially in higher-crime areas where they are accepted as routine events, which is why the murder rate is often used as a proxy indicator for general safety.

This is not to say that thereís nothing good in St. Louis Ė of course there is. Itís also not saying that someone ďwillĒ be a victim of a crime if they visit there Ė most visitors wonít have any bad experiences. But the City of St. Louis is clearly not an average urban area in this context, and I think people should remain aware of that and make their personal decisions according to their individual risk tolerances.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Going to be headed to St Louis next week and will be taking in some sights also. Thanks for the tips. We may park across the river. Depends if we have trailer or just tow vehicle. Was admiring the oversized parking against the river just east of arch but saw the construction.

We agree on being cautious but that goes for ALL big cities and all parking lots. No change in cupholders, nothing of value left visible, hats and jackets covered with dark blanket on back seat. Purse in trunk (put there prior to arriving in parking lot) or on you cross shoulder.

So Arch, River, Brewery, Historical Sites what else....

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
St. Louis did have the highest per capita murder rate in the entire country in 2013 (per The Detroit News, citing FBI data). The Brennan Center for Justice again named St. Louis the murder capital of America in 2014, citing federal government crime statistics. Thatís not 35 years ago Ė thatís 2 years ago.
Oh pul-leeze! You say you are a former St Louis resident??? Either youíre pretending to know nothing about St Louis history, or you have a nasty grudge.

Anyone who knows anything about the City of St Louis knows that the municipal boundaries of the city are very tight. The actual city has less than 15% of the regionís population. If you compare crime stats of 15% of the urban core of any major city in the US, we look sorta normal. Every year when ďTHEMOSTDANGEROUSCITYINTHEWORLD!!!!Ē stats come out, we all just roll our eyes. Itís meaningless.

Why are you so angry?
Old 08-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Okay enough sparring😏😑.

Can we return to the great information about St Louis as well be there next week. Thanks.

Really looking forward to it.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote