Old 07-20-2015, 02:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
Squeaky Microwave DRAWER

I"m going to try a new thread on rattling / squeaking microwaves. This is a drawer-type, so all the threads and posts I could find through searching this forum ... had lots of suggestions about wrapping the turntable in towels, stuffing paper goods and linens in there, etc. BUT THESE SOLUTIONS DON'T WORK FOR THE NEW DRAWER-TYPE IN OUR 2015 AI.

While there are lots of rattles in back when we're on the road, the microwave drawer in particular seems to stand out. When we're stationary and I play with it a bit, opening and closing it, the side walls and bottom shelf rattle a lot, metal on metal.

So I"m wondering if:
  1. others with the drawer-type microwave have a similar experience
  2. any of you have figured out how to reduce the noise?
THX

Old 07-20-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I could be wrong but I thought someone posted recently how they fixed their slide out microwave squeaking and rattling.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I could be wrong but I thought someone posted recently how they fixed their slide out microwave squeaking and rattling.
I could be wrong too, but I remember a recent thread on the drawer coming open going round a corner; turned out the drawer lock wasn't very obvious.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
I could be wrong too, but I remember a recent thread on the drawer coming open going round a corner; turned out the drawer lock wasn't very obvious.
I think the OP was referring to the slide out microwave.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
I think the OP was referring to the slide out microwave.
Yes, that's what I was referring to also:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ck-137112.html
Isn't that the same thing? Slide-out=drawer?
Old 07-20-2015, 10:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Yes, that's what I was referring to also:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ck-137112.html
Isn't that the same thing? Slide-out=drawer?
Could be but the one I was thinking of seemed to be about squeaking/rattling and he fixed it using silicone.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Could be but the one I was thinking of seemed to be about squeaking/rattling and he fixed it using silicone.

I think you mean this one, but it's the old style microwave:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/microwave-squeaking-rattling-solution-134667.html

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-21-2015, 12:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
That's the one. Guess my CRS is acting up again.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:44 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Here's where I am with this issue now:
* a lot of the "rattling" seems to be the side and bottom sheet metal panels. When you open the drawer, and play around with it (e.g. moving it, tapping it) you can definitely hear a lot of metal rattling.
* so I found an inflatable kids swimming pool inner tube ($1.99) which, when inflated, fits almost perfectly inside the drawer, so that the edges of the round tube presses against 2 sides, front, and back metal parts. Obviously, it lays on the bottom of the drawer as well.
* this seems (subjectively) to reduce the rattling significantly, maybe 50%?

Anyway, thought I would offer this up for anyone else looking to reduce the noise.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
In addition to the inflatable kids' inner tube, I found an added element that seems to have taken most of the remaining rattling out of the equation. Some foam packing strips came in a recent package and it got me to thinking. I lay 2 lengths of these foam strips under the drawer running from front to back, one on each side. The strips are about 5/8" thick, 2" wide, and 12" long. So the tube holds the drawer sides pretty stationary by expanding to fill the inside space, and the strips cushion the drawer from bouncing up and down while driving. Sounds kind of Rube Goldberg but they're only in there while driving. When camped and using the microwave, it takes very little space to store in a cabinet or drawer or whatever, especially if you deflate the tube.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:50 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Montrose , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks71 View Post
In addition to the inflatable kids' inner tube, I found an added element that seems to have taken most of the remaining rattling out of the equation. Some foam packing strips came in a recent package and it got me to thinking. I lay 2 lengths of these foam strips under the drawer running from front to back, one on each side. The strips are about 5/8" thick, 2" wide, and 12" long. So the tube holds the drawer sides pretty stationary by expanding to fill the inside space, and the strips cushion the drawer from bouncing up and down while driving. Sounds kind of Rube Goldberg but they're only in there while driving. When camped and using the microwave, it takes very little space to store in a cabinet or drawer or whatever, especially if you deflate the tube.

Thanks for these ideas. We are experiencing the same rattles in our 2016.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
I addressed a number a rattles and squeaks in our '16 including the Microwave with felt tape. I used JVCC FELT-06 Polyester Felt Tape, 1mm Thickhttp://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QDRRNE/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

and applied to the backside of the microwave door to create a cushion while also allowing is to close securely. Worked great. I also lined the back edges of the drawers and overhead doors for a quieter close. I cut a then strip for the bathroom door and it removed a miner rattle there as well.