Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2017, 06:44 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bcamper View Post
Attachment 299021Another photo of my new tire valves.

Did they have to rebalance after the install?
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Did they have to rebalance after the install?

They did not have to rebalance.
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bcamper View Post
They did not have to rebalance.
OK thanks. Good to know.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:01 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Our 2010 two wheel drive and our 2016 4X4 passenger Sprinter both had and has pressure sensors
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradobus View Post
Our 2010 two wheel drive and our 2016 4X4 passenger Sprinter both had and has pressure sensors
I'm guessing you are talking about the 2500 chassis in both cases? All newer Interstates are built on the 3500 chassis with duallies in the rear and sadly you can't order those with TPMs.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:53 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
One would think that with all the options that Mercedes offers (and Airstream selects) there would be a TPMS system for the 3500 chassis. Though knowing how complicated MB makes things, maybe we don't want them involved. Low tire pressure due to a bad sensor would probably put us in some limp-home mode.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:14 AM   #47
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
One would think that with all the options that Mercedes offers (and Airstream selects) there would be a TPMS system for the 3500 chassis. Though knowing how complicated MB makes things, maybe we don't want them involved. Low tire pressure due to a bad sensor would probably put us in some limp-home mode.
What's crazy (and frustrating) is I had the wacky idea of buying one of the in-wheel TPM sensors from MB, plugging it in, and seeing if the "smarts" in the van were already there and it would pick up the signal and just work. When I was doing my research, I found that MB DID offer TPM sensors for 3500 series Sprinters at one point, but then stopped. The reason I didn't try my experiment was because the sensors come in two flavors, each operating at a different frequency. So, unless I wanted to waste double the money, I wouldn't know if the sensor wasn't working because the TPM is disabled in the computer, or if it's the wrong frequency. The reason I wanted to try this was because I've been in the tech industry a long time, and I know that it's more expensive, and more complicated, for manufacturers to offer a zillion different configurations of a product, so often times they make one version of something and just disable certain bits of it (don't populate a chip location in a circuit board, set a register to ignore certain areas of memory, etc).

Long version of a short story, I totally agree with you and certainly they could offer this. Why they don't is a mystery that maybe someone on here has some insight into, because having a factory TPM system would be a huge safety benefit on these vehicles.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:05 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
As has been posted before on this and the Sprinter-Source forum MB does not offer a TPMS on 3500 dually Sprinters because they are not required by US DOT. Perhaps if enough people contact MB and ask for TPMS as an option they might offer it.

That happened after I bought my 2001 Prius that did not offer cruise control. Lots of owners complained and Toyota offered it as an add-on kit since the software was already inside the Prius computer.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:32 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
As has been posted before on this and the Sprinter-Source forum MB does not offer a TPMS on 3500 dually Sprinters because they are not required by US DOT. Perhaps if enough people contact MB and ask for TPMS as an option they might offer it.
But they used to offer it (you can order replacement sensors direct from MB for certain MY Sprinter 3500's), so what's changed???
Old 11-17-2017, 03:13 PM   #50
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Couple comments.

I don't see many mentions of ensuring the inflation is sufficient to support the actual load. I have numerous posts on this topic with specific suggestions and even a few examples. I would consider your Sprinter to be just small Motorhomes so the inflation would be set with the same method and margin.

Yes Alignment is a good idea

Finally, if your unit didn't come with TPMS then a good investment would be an aftermarket system I have run / tested both internal and external sensors. I see no significant advantages or disadvantages to either.

Just be sure to calculate the total life costs of whatever you choose. Batteries or sensor replacement, cost to dismount tire so internal can be installed and possibly hose extenders on rear duals. Remember that some systems can be easily moved from one vehicle to another while others could cost $60 to $100 to move.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
For me one significant hassle of external TPMS is where to put the display. As it is, all I can tolerate is my cell phone dangling in front of me.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
I just had an alignment done and front wheel balance at North Trail RV Dealer in Ft MYERS, fl. They had a full service chases shop. Cost was 189.00 for alignment. I started to get a shimmering in steering wheel at 65mph. Problem is gone.
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
For me one significant hassle of external TPMS is where to put the display. As it is, all I can tolerate is my cell phone dangling in front of me.
I put my TPMS module into the slot above the ash tray. Unless it's beeping at me for pressure violations, I only need to look at it first thing in the day, then when I stop for fuel, food, or end of day.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:53 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
I put my TPMS module into the slot above the ash tray. Unless it's beeping at me for pressure violations, I only need to look at it first thing in the day, then when I stop for fuel, food, or end of day.
Thanks. That is a good option. Are they battery operated or do you need to hardwire them?
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:40 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Thanks. That is a good option. Are they battery operated or do you need to hardwire them?
The TST branded TPMS has an internal rechargeable battery. I get several days between charges by turning off the unit when parked. The TST TPMS has worked well. Just last week it notified me that my inner rear tire was very low.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Yes, the TPMS display is small like an old pager and it has an internal rechargeable battery. I plug it into the a USB adapter I have in my cigarette lighter which of course is one inch away from that little cubby area...

By the way, recently I posted about how my radio fuse kept blowing. That fuse circuit also powers the cigarette lighter and the 12v power source that we can't see down below the cup holder. As I was inspecting things there I noticed a penny wedged into the bottom of the open cigarette lighter hole (left open cause I removed the power adapter for my TPMS). Problem now solved. Lesson learned: don't use the cup holder for loose change if you are going to leave that hole open...
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote