Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Sprinter Chassis code

I just bought an icarsoft MB II on the advice of the Airstream and Sprinter fora. I expect it will confirm my second rear wheel speed sensor failure. Trying to determine the chassis number of my 2012 Sprinter - didn't find it where it is supposed to be per MB website information. 906 or 901 or ???
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I just bought an icarsoft MB II on the advice of the Airstream and Sprinter fora. I expect it will confirm my second rear wheel speed sensor failure. Trying to determine the chassis number of my 2012 Sprinter - didn't find it where it is supposed to be per MB website information. 906 or 901 or ???
TITUS - 906 for NCV3. 901-905 are 1st gen
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Thanks. I was guessing 906 but could not find it on the MB plate. icarsoft identified my problem as a front wheel speed sensor failure. I was guessing it was the rear again, as those failures are more common. Sensor is easy to replace. Bought two aftermarket ones for the price of one Bosch OEM sensor.

Also, got a check engine light on our recent trip out west. CEL turned on at the bottom of Kings Canyon. It cleared itself before I got to the Bakersfield MB dealership - where they would have charged $280 to tell me what the code meant. Will be nice to have the code reader for next time something happens miles from anywhere.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
TITUS - You welcome. And Thank You for the iCarsoft II info. I read some posts about different ones. But procrastination has kept me from buying and have since forgotten which ones were recommended. Not going to forget again, want to have one before my next long trip, now added to my latest Amazon order
Old 08-03-2019, 05:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I debated between the icarsoft that reads 'all' types of codes but is MB-specific and the Autel that reads 'all' types of codes for 'all' types of vehicles - but is a bit more money. In the end I decided to get the MB-only one. I couldn't imagine the need for an 'emergency' code reader in my cars like I could for the AI. I wanted the 'all types of codes' and not OBD-only codes because of the massive amount of electronic stuff on the Interstate and the known problem with wheel speed sensors.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:04 AM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Thanks. I was guessing 906 but could not find it on the MB plate. icarsoft identified my problem as a front wheel speed sensor failure. I was guessing it was the rear again, as those failures are more common. Sensor is easy to replace. Bought two aftermarket ones for the price of one Bosch OEM sensor.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...re-193847.html
From post #10 your comment quoted

"MB wheel speed sensor is $140. Unless there is a reason to thing that the $112 part would last longer, I think I'd pay a bit more for the MB part."

Curious Titus, looks like you found a supplier care to share the source for your fellow Sprinter owners benefit?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
I just bought an icarsoft MB II on the advice of the Airstream and Sprinter fora.
TITUS - regarding the iCarsoft models - I went to their website and there are few MB/Sprinter specific ones. There is the MB II and the MB V2.0. Just reading the basic info, looks like they do the same stuff but I still have to look at the detailed descriptions of all the test each one does to really compare. And they're same price. Do you have info on whether there's major difference or are they just different model year versions? It seems I can't go wrong with either.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Alex: I was not aware of the V2.0 until after buying the ii. I might have been better off getting the V2.0.

GCinSC2: The local import repair shop ordered the part from a MB dealership. He charged $140, which I assumed was the MB price.

I found that my current problem is with a front wheel speed sensor. Left and Right side front sensors are the same. I could get 2 aftermarket ones through Amazon for less than one OEM (Bosch) part. So I decided to take a chance on the generic (Bapmic).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My first rear (left) sensor failed at 39,000 miles. I had both rear sensors replaced. I have 69,000 miles now, so may be about due for another rear sensor failure.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
TITUS - after you mentioned the Multi-Car versions, I started thinking that between me, wife, duaghters, and son-in-laws - I have 8 different makes that I routinely get invloved with (3 domestic, 3 Japanese, and 2 Euro). I have been lucky in my 45 years owning cars (specifically the last 23 yrs) have only needed an OBD scanner on my Chrysler minivan last year (which I did not even need because it's OBD codes gets displayed on it's overhead display). So, I may be pushing my luck and at some point I will need this.

While the iCarsoft Multi-Car CR Pro is 2x price of the MBII or MB V2.0, I am thinking it is going to be a wise investment for me since I don't have a single scanner for any car. And reading about all these Sprinter codes does make me think it is just a matter of time So biting the bullet now and still hoping I never need it. I ok with that, chuck it to Preventative Maintenance.

PS: I just need to make sure the Multi-Car CR Pro still contains ALL functions of the MBII or MB V2.0

Thanks again for your post - it was just what I needed to prod me to get this done while every car is running fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pc_07.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	340.2 KB
ID:	348485  
Old 08-04-2019, 05:58 AM   #10
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
TITUS,

Thanks for the update for your fellow Sprinter chassis owners.

I've noticed these failed sensors pop up and seem to wreak their own brand of havoc every so often.

Might be a good topic for someone to try to put a fault diagnosis and repair thread for a part that I think has one snap connection and one bolt.

Safe travels.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Yeah, I'm puzzled by the frequent failures, said to be especially common on 3500 chassis used in motorhomes. Afraid it is up to us to diagnose, as I don't think that MB has any reason to care. While there have been some reports of the tone ring failing, it is mostly often the sensor. The sensor is just a magnet sensing the tone ring passing it. Not unlike my bicycle speed pickup, which lasts forever. The tone ring replacement is a real pain, but sensor replacement is just a nuisance. MB repair procedure calls for greasing the sensor prior to installation and spraying the outside with 'sealing wax', apparently to keep debris (water? dust?) out of the bore. Debris or not, I don't understand how a mag pickup sensor can fail. I can see the debris, especially metal shavings from somewhere (brake pads?), interfering with the tone ring signal, but not how that interference can cause the sensor to fail.

Any ideas from forum members who are smarter than I?
Old 08-04-2019, 06:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Alex
I too thought about getting a multi-car version, but decided not to. My thinking was that I would be leaving the code reader in the AI. Since I would not have it with me in the car for emergency use, so why have it?

From what I read, the Autel ought to be considered if one wanted an all-car reader.

Like insurance, a code reader is something you hope that you don't have to use.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
From what I read, the Autel ought to be considered if one wanted an all-car reader.
TITUS - I just read that the MBII will not work on MY after 2013. Not sureBut how reliable that info is, because it was from the Amazon product documentation - "Sprinter--901.6, 902.6, 903.6, 904.6, 905.6, 690, 906 (Up to 2013)". But I can not find that limitation on iCarsoft website. So I email'ed iCarsoft just to be sure which ones would work best for my 2017 chassis (MBII, MB V2.0, or CR Pro)?

Thanks for Autel info. Will check them out while I wait for reply from iCarsoft.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
TITUS - I gotta say cars are like pets, they hear what their owners say and react accordingly. I should not have talked about getting a Multi-Car scanner/reader to have available for use on our other cars. After I posted that, got into wife's car, didn't even get outside our street, CEL came on. Not gonna worry about it, dropping off at dealer tomo, its only 6 mos old Thank god for warranty I have never had a car finish warranty period without getting repairs. Still looking for that elusive Zero Defect unit that breaks 1-day after all warranties expire.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Update on wheel speed sensor.

Installed the generic (Balmic) wheel speed sensor. Problem still exists, and now I also have a 'incorrect sensor' message in a different category. Clearing codes didn't help. So bought a Bosch sensor at twice the price. Still have the problem, including still having the incorrect sensor message. Plugged the failed sensor back in and it too is said to be an incorrect sensor. Hmm. Checked the speeds with the reader while sitting in the driveway. The left front and two rear read 0 mph. The right front read 40,697.23 mph. I am not sure what could make a sensor read high, and I am beginning to think that the problem is not in the sensor itself. I gave up and took Titus to a local import vehicle repair shop. Will report back.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:

Installed the generic (Balmic) wheel speed sensor. Problem still exists, and now I also have a 'incorrect sensor' message in a different category. Clearing codes didn't help. So bought a Bosch sensor at twice the price. Still have the problem, including still having the incorrect sensor message. Plugged the failed sensor back in and it too is said to be an incorrect sensor. Hmm. Checked the speeds with the reader while sitting in the driveway. The left front and two rear read 0 mph. The right front read 40,697.23 mph. I am not sure what could make a sensor read high, and I am beginning to think that the problem is not in the sensor itself. I gave up and took Titus to a local import vehicle repair shop. Will report back.
TITUS - never done a wheel speed sensor in my life. Is it just plug&play or is it possible it needs to go through some type of static & dynamic (road test) calibration?
Old 08-14-2019, 07:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
In reading the Sprinter forum I did not see anything about calibration, nor did the local mechanic mention it- he seemed very familiar with them. Given that it is just a mag pickup (like on your bike spoke /fork) I don't know what there would be to calibrate. But leave it to MB to make something as complicated as possible
Old 08-14-2019, 07:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
In reading the Sprinter forum I did not see anything about calibration, nor did the local mechanic mention it- he seemed very familiar with them. Given that it is just a mag pickup (like on your bike spoke /fork) I don't know what there would be to calibrate. But leave it to MB to make something as complicated as possible
TITUS - you are right. Though I could not find the procedures for Sprinters, I found the procedures for my S-class. No calibration on that, and the S-class is the biggest PITA to DIY. So if it's that simple for that, it's gotta be plug & play across the board.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:41 AM   #19
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
TITUS - I just read that the MBII will not work on MY after 2013. Not sureBut how reliable that info is, because it was from the Amazon product documentation - "Sprinter--901.6, 902.6, 903.6, 904.6, 905.6, 690, 906 (Up to 2013)". But I can not find that limitation on iCarsoft website. So I email'ed iCarsoft just to be sure which ones would work best for my 2017 chassis (MBII, MB V2.0, or CR Pro)?

Thanks for Autel info. Will check them out while I wait for reply from iCarsoft.
This is what I found as well... At the time that I was researching for one, I did email them as well to confirm. I ended up just buying a generic OBDII reader for now... better than nothing.

As far as I know (and this was about a year ago), for the newer Sprinters, only option that reads everything was extremely expensive.... Let me see if I can find my notes on that and share.

Early Sprinters have several options that work well...not us.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:49 AM   #20
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:

Contact surface nice and clean? Rest of harness in good condition?
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote