Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2018, 08:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Marco Island , Florida
Sprinter 3500 Dually Interior Valve Stem Replacement

Does anyone have a recommendation for replacing the valve stem for the interior set of rear tires. I have tremendous difficulty checking and filling those tires. I contacted a Goodyear truck tire facility who indicated they have not been able to find the appropriate valve stem to fit the wheels on the Sprinter in this configuration.
wildwilly. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Hephzibah , Georgia
Wildwilly.... Contact Borg Equipment & Supply Company in Tugunga, California 91403 at 800-300-2674

Ask for the Sprinter Dually Kit (metal stems) ...BUT be sure to mention that you have an Airstream Interstate with Outer ALCOA Aluminum Wheels and Inner Mercedes Steel Wheels.

NOTE: Installation is a little tricky...so find someone you have confidence in their craftsmanship to avoid accidental damage to your wheels. Be sure you install the damping blocks properly (they stabilize the inner wheel metal stems in the ALCOA wheel cutouts)..

Properly installation of the kit with my TPMS has given me immeasurable peace of mind for over 8000 miles in my 2018 AS GT!!!
MISGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
As mentioned, BORG Industries DL1SPAL Chrome Duallyvalve Kit. You can order direct from them, local truck tire shops, even Amazon. Approx. $120.

Part # DL1SPAL. Double check their website for prior Sprinter years. Kit# depends on what size & shape of wheel handholes used on different Sprinter models.

Above kit is for:
Vehicle Year(s): 2006-Present
Vehicle Wheel Size(s): 16"
Vehicle Wheel Types(s) Inner/Outer Dual Wheels: Steel/Aluminum Alcoa, Wheel PN#250802
Vehicle Outer Dual Wheel Hand-Hole Shape: Rectangle w/ Rounded Edges
Vehicle Outer Dual Wheel Wheel Hand-Hole Size: 3.5" x 1.

WARNING - not all tire shops have done this. Even the experienced truck & rv shop I went to (who even carries these kits in their shop) overtightened the grommets on both inner steel wheels which caused a slow leak (which by the way the TPMS captured). So they had to redo them. MAKE SURE the shop follows the torque specs clearly stated in instruction (I believe 40-in-lbs.)

MISGM is spot on. I am very happy to get this done, in spite of the tire shop hiccups, so I can have TPMS. I feel much more safer going down the road in such a heavy truck when I can see how my tires are doing
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #4
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
...WARNING - not all tire shops have done this. Even the experienced truck & rv shop I went to (who even carries these kits in their shop) overtightened the grommets on both inner steel wheels which caused a slow leak (which by the way the TPMS captured). So they had to redo them. MAKE SURE the shop follows the torque specs clearly stated in instruction (I believe 40-in-lbs.)
This must be what is happening to one of the inner tires in my AI... need to remove the wheel and check first for any nails...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
This must be what is happening to one of the inner tires in my AI... need to remove the wheel and check first for any nails...
Good chance it's just smashed grommets. I know yours is a very slow leak. Mine was 10psi per hr. And the 2nd one went from completely ok for 5days before it started to lose 10psi per hr. The tire shops, even the best ones, are just not following the instruction specs and torquing them down too much , 40-in-lbs is not much. The outers (red, single flanged grommets) are spec'ed for 100-in-lbs. The inners (black, double flanged grommets) are spec'ed for 40-in-lbs. Hence, if any is gonna leak, it's the inners coz it not supposed to be torqued that much. Also, what the shops might do is they just slide the valve with the double flanged grommet into the wheel - WRONG ! They are supposed to remove the grommet from valve, slide the grommet into the wheel (one flange on outside & other flange on inside of wheel) then slide valve into grommet hole. If they don't do this, they crush or damaged grommet flanges. Why do we have to tell these professionals how to do their jobs properly?
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
As mentioned, BORG Industries DL1SPAL Chrome Duallyvalve Kit. You can order direct from them, local truck tire shops, even Amazon. Approx. $120.

Part # DL1SPAL. Double check their website for prior Sprinter years. Kit# depends on what size & shape of wheel handholes used on different Sprinter models.

Above kit is for:
Vehicle Year(s): 2006-Present
Vehicle Wheel Size(s): 16"
Vehicle Wheel Types(s) Inner/Outer Dual Wheels: Steel/Aluminum Alcoa, Wheel PN#250802
Vehicle Outer Dual Wheel Hand-Hole Shape: Rectangle w/ Rounded Edges
Vehicle Outer Dual Wheel Wheel Hand-Hole Size: 3.5" x 1.

WARNING - not all tire shops have done this. Even the experienced truck & rv shop I went to (who even carries these kits in their shop) overtightened the grommets on both inner steel wheels which caused a slow leak (which by the way the TPMS captured). So they had to redo them. MAKE SURE the shop follows the torque specs clearly stated in instruction (I believe 40-in-lbs.)

MISGM is spot on. I am very happy to get this done, in spite of the tire shop hiccups, so I can have TPMS. I feel much more safer going down the road in such a heavy truck when I can see how my tires are doing
IDK if offering stuff for sale is Ok on this forum. I have a used modified set for sale. Long story. PM if interested. $65 delivered.
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote