Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
I had the ECU update done last week

What does actually consist of?

And was this speedometer issue updated with the last week?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Teamaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
This is not accurate. The feature you describe (called "Selective Availability") is technically possible, but was discontinued in May of 2000 at the direction of President Clinton. The next generation of GPS will not even have this feature.

GPS.gov: Selective Availability
Position accuracy is irrelevant in determining speed which is calculated from the Doppler shift in the GPS carrier wave.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:20 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Just so you are aware, GPS is government controlled satellite navigation supported for military use. Therefore the signal, hence accuracy can vary significantly from day to day, hour to hour, etc. I don't know that I would expect my GPS to be more accurate than my vehicle on any given day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
This is not accurate. The feature you describe (called "Selective Availability") is technically possible, but was discontinued in May of 2000 at the direction of President Clinton. The next generation of GPS will not even have this feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
Position accuracy is irrelevant in determining speed which is calculated from the Doppler shift in the GPS carrier wave.
Mostly but not entirely true. A GPS computes its position several times a second. When you first fire up the GPS while your vehicle is at a standstill in Park, the GPS is calculating the same position over and over, and can get a very accurate fix. When you start moving, your previous position versus your new position is used in the speed computation - but so is the doppler shift from the movement of the various satellites it's tracking. And every time you come to a stoplight or a stop sign, the GPS again has a chance to calculate the same position over and over and get a more accurate fix.

The speed indicator on your automotive GPS will be accurate to about half a mile per hour, more accurate if you're on flat terrain so there's no real elevation change factored in.

For the sake of safety— and for moving-violation avoidance— you should always assume that if you see multiple speed indications— analog dial, digital readout in the message center, and/or GPS— whichever one shows the highest speed is right. The highest indicated speed may not actually be right, but assume it is and drive accordingly.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:36 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Finally got my AI in to correct the speedometer error introduced by the ECU update last Fall. Now it's a waiting game, while I raid the big bowl of peppermint patties my dealer keeps in the waiting area. Seem to have won the mouse-war I discovered when I go t the van out of storage. Getting ready for a run to the east coast and then up into Michigan.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
All's well that ends well

They "re-coded" my Sprinter's ECU update. Success.....my speed is now accurate and my gas mileage is back to reading normal consumption rates. Now ready to hit the road again.....