Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Question Spare parts to take on the road

Looking for the common things that could fail during a trip and might be difficult to find when/where it happens. Just to keep it in the AI for peace of mind. Listing is just for the newer AIs... depending on your AI year, part numbers might be different:

LP Solenoid valve: I believe this is the valve now available... it looks just a tad different from the one in my AI, but seems to be the newer version of it:

Next AutoGas

EDIT: Looking at this part installed in my AI I realized that there is no replacing this on the road without losing all the propane in the process... humm...

What LP pressure regulator is used? Could not find reference or links in the forum to the actual part, I have the part number Airstream gives it, but that does not help me find one out there, only helps if I order it from the dealer.
Can't even find a photo of what it looks like... This is something I would like to have a spare handy.

For the engine:

Oil Filter - Mercedes-Benz (642-180-00-09)

Fuel Filter - Mercedes-Benz (642-090-63-52)
3.0l. Sprinter van. Without heating element - if someone can confirm part number... they have the heated units with element outside, inside, and no element...

Air Filter - Mercedes-Benz (0000903751)

The belts are different depending on high-output A/C or not... not sure what we have:

Serpentine Belt - Mercedes-Benz (003-993-00-96)
Fan Belt - Mercedes-Benz (001-993-39-96)
AC Belt - Mercedes-Benz (001-993-38-96)

What else should I have (besides a phone, AAA, and a credit card)?

I currently have:
Printed copy of parts manual and owner manual
Heavy-duty tire repair kit with extra plugs
Spares for every type of fuse in the AI
Red, Black, White, Yellow cable (gauge 14, 16)
Tape (electric, duct, clear gorilla)
Tube of silicone sealant
Hose clamps from the size needed for the black tank hoses to small ones for fuel lines
Tie-wraps
A tool kit with wrench set, pliers, screwdrivers, etc.
Compact shovel
Machete
Axe
Gloves
LED flashlights
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Filter.jpeg
Views:	738
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	315204   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2928.jpg
Views:	820
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	315207  

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:52 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Looks like a great list. You might want to get some copper or aluminum oil plug gaskets. They are crushable and should be replaced with the oil change. A spare light bulb for critical lights outside, including low beam bulbs. A collapsing orange cone comes in handy for parking or leaving a trace at campsites when you leave for a few hours. Much depends on the location and remoteness of destination. I'm sure others will chime in for additional items!
Jbray333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
- Oil to go along with oil filter.
- Right size wrench for oil filter cap (have not checked which one we need).
- DEF Someone mentioned on another thread. I went down to 1/4 on last trip. So I now carry, don't want to accidentally get into countdown without it close by.

These not really items that breakdown, but may help during breakdowns:
- Wife always brings Igloo portable countertop ice maker.
- Still bring my jumper cables.
- Collapsible warning triangle that mounts up on windows.
- I carry 2 auto mechanic jumpsuits
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	913n5QfOCsL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	315266   Click image for larger version

Name:	41F8k18xRmL.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	315275  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:07 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
👍😂

If it’s stuck…WD40
If it’s loose…zip-ties
If it’s broken…Duct Tape

We had a workable spare part inventory after the first Season. A lot of the stuff that may be needed for our Classic is available at CW or WallyWorld.
Obviously the Interstate is a different animal.

Sweet Streams

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-27-2018, 07:53 AM   #5

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbray333 View Post
Looks like a great list. You might want to get some copper or aluminum oil plug gaskets. They are crushable and should be replaced with the oil change. A spare light bulb for critical lights outside, including low beam bulbs. A collapsing orange cone comes in handy for parking or leaving a trace at campsites when you leave for a few hours. Much depends on the location and remoteness of destination. I'm sure others will chime in for additional items!
Good idea... I will get a few of those crushable seals for the oil plug.
Good point on the light bulbs... at least a spare for brake and one for low beam.
Did not think about cones... After seeing your post I looked up in Amazon. Good idea. Will get a set of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
- Oil to go along with oil filter.
- Right size wrench for oil filter cap (have not checked which one we need).
- DEF Someone mentioned on another thread. I went down to 1/4 on last trip. So I now carry, don't want to accidentally get into countdown without it close by.

These not really items that breakdown, but may help during breakdowns:
- Wife always brings Igloo portable countertop ice maker.
- Still bring my jumper cables.
- Collapsible warning triangle that mounts up on windows.
- I carry 2 auto mechanic jumpsuits
Where do you find the space for the ice maker... that is similar to the one that comes in the Grand Tour TB Interstate and the TB trailers... I don't see where I would place it... heck, if I had space for that it would be occupied by an espresso machine...hehe

Not carrying 14 quarts of oil I do have a nice looking pouch. I had a spare one from another car that I am using in the AI. This is just for topping off if needed. The filter is in case I need to have an oil change on a trip, easier to find oil than to find an oil filter. These are parts that I want to carry in case of emergency... hard to find parts that are common or have a tendency to go out in the worst possible moment.

Yeah, I need to check on the size of the wrench for the oil filter cap...

I do check and top off as needed the DEF. Truck stops have pumps for this, so very easy to do while filling the diesel tank. I don't like to carry monkey pee inside the AI, very strong smell if you have any spills inside.

Jumper cables...I had forgotten those. I have them in every car... will get a set for the AI...with a generator and so many batteries, several ways to charge the batteries... I might never need them, but best to just have them. They do not take that much space.

Not sure if there is a set of triangles already in the AI... have not checked. If there is no kit in there now, I will add these: One of the compact kits available that also come with a high-visibility vest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
If it’s stuck…WD40
If it’s loose…zip-ties
If it’s broken…Duct Tape

We had a workable spare part inventory after the first Season. A lot of the stuff that may be needed for our Classic is available at CW or WallyWorld.
Obviously the Interstate is a different animal.

Sweet Streams

Bob
����
WD-40!! How in the world could I forget that one!! Can't tell you how many spray bottles of that and CRC Marine 6-56 Multi-Purpose Lubricant we have in the garage... I even have the small ones in each car. Forgot to put one in the AI. Thank you for the reminder. zip-ties and duct tape already in the tool kit.
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
I would not get carried away with parts. It is not like you are stranded in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. With the AI, parts and service are usually a phone call away.

An error scanner is a good idea so if an error pops up, you have an idea if it is serious, and you can clear it if needed.
Fuel filter is good to have. It can get clogged up.
I am not sure I would carry oil or air filters. I would service the engine before I would leave.
I do not think I would carry engine belts. Serpentine belts have a long life. If not sure about its condition, change it before you leave.
A particularly problem prone part would be good to have as long as you can replace it yourself on the road. If not, it is debatable. Service people can get parts pretty fast.
The Airstream and Sprinter manuals should be with you, preferably on paper, as the tablet/computer battery may be dead.

I plan to keep it simple as storage is at a premium.
Boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:37 AM   #7

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
I have a much older AI (2006) and was taking quite a long trip so I brought quite a bit of stuff. I didn’t use any of it, but I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

C3 factory diagnostics interface/computer
MBII (I leave it in there all the time, easy to find out what the engine light means if it comes on)
Fuel filter
Drive belt
Belt tensionor/pulleys (should have done water pump before I left)
Crank sensor
Pressure sensor
MAP sensor
(None of those was all that much $$ and figured if I’m one some side road someplace it could mean driving normally or in limp mode)
A1 Fusebox (on the early Sprinters those can have issues and mine had some corrosion I cleaned. But a new one wasn’t that much and pretty easy to swap)
EGR (I had a failed one early on, I replaced it but it can also cause limp mode)
1quart oil
Gallon distilled water (could be used for drinking or coolant)
Tools

I have the service manual on my iPad, plus kept the AI manual in the rig. I really should have made sure I have copies of all of the AI manuals on my iPad and left the bulky book at Home. Although I still prefer paper manuals.

All this stuff didn’t really take up much room and I wouldn’t expect to need most of that for a newer rig. I probably wouldn’t bring the C3 along on shorter (staying on the west coast for instance) but if I DID have an issue, it could be a huge difference if diagnosing/repairing the issue. Especially in the middle of nowhere. I would speculate most owners wouldn’t have a clue on how to use it.

The only issue I had was the water pump and I wanted to replace it before I left. Every once in awhile it would loose some coolant (like once every 5k miles, but random). I never could find where it went and doing a pressure test when at home it would never leak a drop. I probably could have kept going without replacing the pump on the road, but I didn’t want to chance it. I don’t have many miles on the AI but it IS old. I wouldn’t Expect such issues on a new one like yours.

I would would suggest to NOT get too carried away with spares. Certainly a fuel filter is a good idea. Not expensive, small and if you get some bad fuel it could make a big difference having it handy.
A good OBDII MB specific scanner is small and potentially really handy. If the darn light comes on you can see if it is something not to worry about- or a big deal. But if you don’t know what any of the stuff means...
I don’t think the ‘full’ setup like the C3 (or C4 in your case) would be of much use to most people. But with a MB scanner (around $350 I think) can give you the actual error codes and something to talk to a mechanic about. Or figure out yourself it so inclined.
That darn ‘check engine light’ could mean anything from a very minor issue (like fuel cap not on tight for a gasoline engine) to a huge major issue. I like knowing which. On a trip last fall, the light came on 50 miles outside of Las Vegas. I pulled over and checked it (about 5 minutes) and found it was the throttle pedal ‘out of expected range’. I had passed someone, pushing it to the floor and perhaps it had not been to the floor in a long time. I noted it, cleared it and it never came back. Good peace of mind for me.

Just a few thoughts and view from an old AI rather than a new one.

Mark
Mark,

Thank you. I have been looking for an MB scanner tool for some time now. None available for the newer Sprinters. Only generic units that would not provide detailed information like a Cary for BMW does or what iCarSoft MB II does for the older Sprinter units. Mike (Boxster1971) mentioned using UltraGuage... I need to read more on that. And Carly for Mercedes is just generic code reading for now...

I was not aware of the Mercedes SDconnect C4 - US$420 for that MB specific unit is not cheap but not bad either when you see other MB specific options going for over US$1-2K. I sent them a few questions to confirm that it works for 2017 Sprinters. If that is the case I will get it.

On the spare parts... not looking to go crazy... just critical stuff that could cause us to cancel or shorten a trip but could be easily fixed on the road if I had the part handy... like a broken belt for example.

Thanks again!
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
I got this scanner https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It shows and clears most error codes. It also resets Oil Service. It has a Sprinter vehicle selection.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
When I did my list of spares I carried, I forgot about bulbs.
I have a high beam, low beam, turn signal, stop, taillamp bulbs.

I also have a roll of those paper shop towels, box of nitrile gloves (good for dumping tanks also), LED troublelight.

One thing to always check if you have an issue, if an MB shop, make sure they do Sprinters, most don’t.
Also- check your credit limit on your credit card before going in! They are very expensive!

That said, I did get a 2 year warranty on the work good at any MB dealer. And in my case (water pump replacement) while I could certainly do it, I didn’t want to do it on the road, 3500 miles from home.

Yeah, most any place has bulbs, but if I notice a bulb burned out in the morning before I leave (always do a ‘walk around’ last thing before driving off every day) having a spare means not having to search around for someplace- and can do it right there. Maybe when not hot yet...

Others may not even be able to change a headlamp bulb, so it seems less advantageous to have a spare along.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
WACHUKO
I can mostly confirm the part number. My model year was the one in which they switched fuel filter part numbers, and there was supposedly no way to tell which one I needed (no serial number break). So I had mine changed at a MB dealer - where they had both in stock. The invoice identified it as PN 642 090 63 52, so that was what I ordered to have as an emergency spare. The one I got was Mann Filter 820/14, with a MB sticker of D0619D04 642 090 60 52 placed on the box. I called and was told that the only difference between digits 63 and 60 was the model year. The new '60' appeared to be identical to the old one - which I had kept.

My new '60' looks the same as the '63' one in your picture, including the same
KBA 91423 number.

They say to replace the turbo inlet O ring (huge rubber donut) each time you change the fuel filter. I think this is because the old one becomes brittle from the heat. My old one was still in good shape (not cracked, nice and pliable), so I kept it for use as a future replacement if necessary.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #11

Orlando , Florida
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom23 View Post
I got this scanner https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It shows and clears most error codes. It also resets Oil Service. It has a Sprinter vehicle selection.

What do you get out of it specific for the Sprinter?

Reason that I ask is because I have the cheapest version from that company... works well when on the road and to help out friends (and I do not have to worry if it gets lost when a friend is using it).. it was less than 20.00 in Amazon. I can clear codes in the new Camaro and a 2002 Mitsubishi Montero.. at least those are the only two that I have used it on so far.

I was looking at a scanner that could force a clean cycle for DEF, monitor temps of some of the sensors, etc. Do you know if that one has functions that control Diesel exhaust systems?

I friend also gave me a SPX OTC Genisys reader when he closed his Midas shop (photo attached)... but the software in it is old... I would have to buy the update and that alone is over 700.00... never update the unit since I already have a Durametric system for the Porsches and the Carly for the BMWs. At the time, made no sense to spend the money if I was not going to use it... I got it a new battery and confirmed that it works, but it is just sitting there in the garage in the case it came with.

So looking for something specific for the Sprinter with the additional details on the error messages and capabilities to read and control some Mercedes Sprinter specific functions...

Geez, can't believe I derailed/hi-jacked my own thread
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Genisys OTC.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	315317  
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-27-2018, 01:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Might also look for the ability to identify wheel speed sensor failures and ability to cycle ABS during brake fluid changes. I understand that some only deal with the powertrain.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #13

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Might also look for the ability to identify wheel speed sensor failures and ability to cycle ABS during brake fluid changes. I understand that some only deal with the powertrain.
Yes. That ^^^ too...
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-27-2018, 01:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Curious on why you want to force a cleaning cycle for the DEF? There are (probably) two cleaning cycles - one that cleans the particulate filter (burns that accumulated particulates) and one that cleans (de-sulfates)the SCR system. I assume that you mean the SCR desulfation when you say the DEF clean cycle. Why would you want to manually run it? You are better off if the particulate trap cleaning occurs naturally (trap gets hot during extended high-load operation) - as a manual cleaning cycle can dilute the engine oil.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:04 PM   #15

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Curious on why you want to force a cleaning cycle for the DEF? There are (probably) two cleaning cycles - one that cleans the particulate filter (burns that accumulated particulates) and one that cleans (de-sulfates)the SCR system. I assume that you mean the SCR desulfation when you say the DEF clean cycle. Why would you want to manually run it? You are better off if the particulate trap cleaning occurs naturally (trap gets hot during extended high-load operation) - as a manual cleaning cycle can dilute the engine oil.
I have no point of reference with DEF systems in the Mercedes... so this might not be an issue at all... but with short drives the possibility of running into problems is higher than when you are using it for long trips and all this happens as it should.

I have a 2012 BMW diesel as my daily driver (had it since new), 23 miles one-way trip to the office, some long trips, but mostly just back and forth to work... I sometimes take a very long route back home (meaning, heading to Cocoa Beach on 528) just to make sure that the cycle is triggered... ) this was before having the Carly software... now I can get the X5 to temp and run the cycle in after 20 some miles instead of a 100... this is just to keep the system in optimal condition.

Again, maybe not an issue with the Sprinter... I am just going by what I have had to do with the BMW... knock on wood, I have not had major issues with it in the 80K miles that I put on it (only two NOx sensors replaced and covered by warranty).
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-27-2018, 04:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Where do you find the space for the ice maker... .. I don't see where I would place it... heck, if I had space for that it would be occupied by an espresso machine...hehe

Not carrying 14 quarts of oil I do have a nice looking pouch. I had a spare one from another car that I am using in the AI. This is just for topping off if needed. possible moment.
WACHUKO - dont have a ARB cooler or cappuccino machine. So I have room for ice maker. Yeah, I dont carry 14qt oil, just 2qt of my fav Mobil1 to top off.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:02 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Huntington Beach , CA
I am not sure what the Autel MaxiDiag Elite MD802 covers on the Sprinter. I know I can select Sprinter as my vehicle and it can read it correctly. Frankly, it is an overkill. Any serious problem that may come up will be a dealer item. If not, I will reset the error and continue.

Regarding what items you need to take with you, you MUST try to change a tire (rear is harder) on your own... This way you will find out if you have all the tools you need.

On my last trip, my inner dually tire deflated, when I was in the middle of nowhere at 5:30pm, because the mechanic installed the valve wrong... Thankfully, I found out about it from the tire pressure monitor before it was too late.

I begged a nearby tire shop to stay open, while I slowly made my way there, to help me put the spare on. They helped me but I was not happy that I did not know how to change tire on my own.

Yesterday, I replaced the fixed tire with my spare and it was a very interesting lesson. I needed the following tools:

- A socket set with 19mm long socket (to remove the lugs) and 21mm socket (to remove the lug covers)
- A small screwdriver bent to "L" shape to pry out the lug covers after you loosened them with the 21mm.
- A breaker bar (or preferably torque wrench) with long enough extension to reach the lugs on the rear.
- A torque wrench that goes at least to 150 ft lbs. Manual states to torque the lugs 140 ft lbs. If no torque wrench, you can tighten by feel and re-check at first tire shop you find.
- A block of wood to put under the bottle jack so that it does not sink and is stable.
- Clothes that will get very dirty...

On a different note, if you want to inflate your tires to 80psi, as the stock tire manufacturer recommends, you need to change the ARB pressure switch to part # 180901 (135-150 psi). The pressure switch that comes stock with the ARB CKMA12 is rated 70-100 psi. If the tire is close to 80 psi, it does not turn on the compressor. I have not tried with lower tire pressures. You learn a lot by using something before you really have to use it.

You might want to check if the stock ARB pressure switch lets you top off your tires...
Old 06-27-2018, 05:38 PM   #18

Orlando , Florida
Boom23,

That is invaluable information. Thank you!!!!! I am definitely not prepared to change a tire on the road... I was under the impression that the AI had everything for that tire change (minus the torque wrench). Reality check... thank you!

On the ARB, not aware of that either... I have the tires at 61 psi... first time I read of someone putting 80 psi in them... I would have never hit that limit or if I did, would have been clueless as to why the air compressor was not going higher... thanks again!
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-27-2018, 05:40 PM   #19

Orlando , Florida
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
WACHUKO - dont have a ARB cooler or cappuccino machine. So I have room for ice maker. Yeah, I dont carry 14qt oil, just 2qt of my fav Mobil1 to top off.
Oh carp, right ... I have that cooler taking up most of the space in the back... how quickly I forget... scotoma!!
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #20

1974 25' Tradewind
Minnneapolis , Minnesota
We camp down the Baja, Mexico and brought along an extra SurFlo water pump membrane replacement kit. Maybe around $20. Dry camping without water isn't fun.
VincentChief is offline   Reply With Quote