Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
INTERBLOG - 100% agree. Tucking spare parts into void spaces does utilize space very efficiently but the disorganization and pain you mention it inflicts happens later ...

So rather than find every void to fill, the containers provide controlled areas that you can improve the "smaller targeted micro-infrastructure". ....
I agree - that approach works superbly if you have an EXT.

For those of us who do not have an EXT, we have drastically less space - we can't really store even one of those containers that you show. We have no choice but to get forced into tucking.

The trick is to re-work it so that it makes sense. That's what I'm still working on.

This is exactly why I literally searched the entire country for the optimal tool bag in this context, for instance. And we got the tool bag nailed earlier this year. Now I need to deal with the other 90% of it.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #62
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
The side pockets where the drop down bed cushions fillers are, is another wasted space. My plan there is to remove those and fixed them to the backrest of the sofa/bench with hinges and couple of magnets. Ideal would be to make one long cushion fixed in the same way but I have not even tried to find matching material to cover it...

But the idea is that you fold them in position when lowering the bed. This way, the side pockets can be turned into storage areas. I just need to validate if the bench backrest is able to support bolting or riveting the required hinge...

I did think of a removable cushion, but would prefer something that is always attached to the back rest and not floating around loose...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:40 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I see no issue with having the parts in different locations- as long as you know what is where.
What we used to do for our flight cases for tools- had a list of exactly what was in what case/bag. This gave a dual purpose of a checklist when packing and an easy way to find things without unpacking 10 bags.

So a simple laminated list of all parts/tools and location would solve any perceived disorganization. Keep a sharpie nearby when anything is used- then it is easy to check before the next trip to restock anything (alcohol will wipe it right off the lamination).

Yes- it is very easy to overload these, especially the T1N that is darn close to max weight before doing anything. The 3500 T1N does have more capacity, but I don’t know if Airstream every used those.

Of course, everyone has different ‘things’ that drive them nuts and what one person is perfectly fine with- another can’t stand.
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:37 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
The side pockets where the drop down bed cushions fillers are, is another wasted space. My plan there is to remove those and fixed them to the backrest of the sofa/bench with hinges and couple of magnets.
WACHUKO - I thought about removing those too but that was before I decided to put my mid-shelf exactly at that height (for convenience and retain continuity on the bed if we decide to employ the original flip down extensions by just setting it on top of the mid-shelf). So if you just thinking of utilizing that wasted pocket:

I do not remember who to give credit to but I am almost sure it was MARK (TRONADORA) who posted the HUSKY 11" (not 12") Small Parts Organizer from Home Depot. Stack 2 of them in each side pocket, it fits like a glove almost like it was made for it. So total of 4 for all my small parts, screws, etc. Frees up our limited drawer storage. It has very good latches to prevent spilling contents when storing vertical and configurable dividers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	351914  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Having to dig/search a bit for the spare part beats the heck out of waiting for it to be delivered to you. But to save the trouble of searching I made a list of where I stored what and keep that list in Titus. Now if I can just remember where I put that list.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:46 PM   #66
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Figured I would add it to the thread as well... Found me a inexpensive diag tool with plenty of features...

During the service done at the dealer, for fixing the Air Ride System (a blown inline fuse), they had to disconnect the batteries and check several things... well, this triggered an SRS error that I only found out about when I went to pick up the AI... and they could not reset it. I was asked to take it to the Mercedes dealer for getting that done... I hate to have to go to the dealer for things I can fix...

I have been looking for a diagnostic scanner that can do most of the tasks for this model year of the Sprinter... something that would not break the bank $$... I already had an inexpensive (21.99) Autel MS309 Universal OBD2 scanner... good if you have nothing else, but limited.

Ran into this thread in the Sprinter forum: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=77100

and went ahead and ordered the Autel AP200 Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner Car Code Reader with All System Diagnoses and Service Functions Professional Automotive Scan Tool for iPhone (or Android)... for 69.95 (sometimes during special you can get them for close to 50.00) I figured that I would give it a try...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once you receive the scanner and register with Autel, you get to download one free vehicle diagnostic setup... so be sure to select the correct one! In my case, for my 2017 Sprinter Chassis (2018 AI), it was Benz_Sprinter 906.155

In the photo sequence you can see the unit, very small, that you plug into your OBDII port. By this point you have downloaded the software to your phone, connected via Bluetooth and have configured your account (see the link to the Sprinter forum for more details)...

I ran the diagnostics... cleared all errors...

Then ran the diagnostic scan again. All good and clear... One happy camper.

Wanted to share in case someone was looking for a similar setup. For the price and functionality available, can't be beat.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote