Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #21
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentChief View Post
We camp down the Baja, Mexico and brought along an extra SurFlo water pump membrane replacement kit. Maybe around $20. Dry camping without water isn't fun.
Will confirm the exact model I have and order a kit. Reminds me that I should check the filter since several folks have found plastic debris left from the build...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bellingham , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom23 View Post
I am not sure what the Autel MaxiDiag Elite MD802 covers on the Sprinter. I know I can select Sprinter as my vehicle and it can read it correctly. Frankly, it is an overkill. Any serious problem that may come up will be a dealer item. If not, I will reset the error and continue.

Regarding what items you need to take with you, you MUST try to change a tire (rear is harder) on your own... This way you will find out if you have all the tools you need.

On my last trip, my inner dually tire deflated, when I was in the middle of nowhere at 5:30pm, because the mechanic installed the valve wrong... Thankfully, I found out about it from the tire pressure monitor before it was too late.

I begged a nearby tire shop to stay open, while I slowly made my way there, to help me put the spare on. They helped me but I was not happy that I did not know how to change tire on my own.

Yesterday, I replaced the fixed tire with my spare and it was a very interesting lesson. I needed the following tools:

- A socket set with 19mm long socket (to remove the lugs) and 21mm socket (to remove the lug covers)
- A small screwdriver bent to "L" shape to pry out the lug covers after you loosened them with the 21mm.
- A breaker bar (or preferably torque wrench) with long enough extension to reach the lugs on the rear.
- A torque wrench that goes at least to 150 ft lbs. Manual states to torque the lugs 140 ft lbs. If no torque wrench, you can tighten by feel and re-check at first tire shop you find.
- A block of wood to put under the bottle jack so that it does not sink and is stable.
- Clothes that will get very dirty...

I had a flat inner left rear as I prepared to leave the KOA in Salt Lake City last fall. I don’t have TPM, but I always tap check the rears with a hard object before I take off each morning. It doesn’t tell you if the pressure is correct, but it does tell you if you have a flat.

I found all of the tools I needed to change the tire in the Sprinter tool kit minus a torque wrench. The only difficult part was positioning the jack due to the close proximity of the jacking point to the propane tank on my 2013AI

And +1 on dirty clothes. A set of coveralls would help.

I carry a bag of tools that I collect from my tool chest. Ratchets, metric and SAE sockets and combination wrenches, plus a couple sizes of Knipex Pliers wrenches. They fulfill the function of a Crescent wrench, but I have never had one slip, or round off a nut. The harder you pull, the more tightly they grip the nut. The Knipex pliers also remove the lug nut covers nicely without a scratch. I also carry a Fluke DMM.

I also carry a selection of wire ties, some duct tape and some self amalgamating silicone tape.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Today in the "didn't see that coming" category:

This NCV3 was in the shop the other day for the obvious problem. At first I paid it no heed. Almost always when Sprinters are broken into, the thieves come in through the driver's door by breaking the glass (except in the recent Interstate theft in San Antonio, where apparently they punched in the door lock). So, nothing new to see there.

But then I noticed that BOTH windows were missing. Driver's side AND passenger's side. Which from a theft perspective, makes no sense.

So I asked, and came to find out that the core failure was that the key fob somehow lost its addressing. Both windows just happen to have been rolled down at the time, and so there was no easy way to get them back up. They were sheeted over for protection as a result.

It is probably a rare failure, but if you are going to be carrying tape in your kit, it might be wise to include a bit of this green stuff, which is a painter's tape that won't leave a residue (available at automotive supply shops). Duck tape would make a roaring mess in this application. And maybe some clear sheeting, which has multiple potential uses.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:43 AM   #24

Orlando , Florida
I hope that I do not have to go through something like that!!

I do have those thermal sheets that you recommended from Amazon... inexpensive enough to use for this purpose in case of an emergency (issue is, that it is not clear...humm, maybe I do get some clear). I also have a blue tarp... let me order some of this inexpensive clear sheeting. Compact enough to trow in the back.

Sticking with duct tape... takes a lot of space already in the tool bag, not going to add another roll of tape that big (I have teflon, 3M electrical, self-fusing, and Duct tape in the tool bag). Will suffer the aftermath of cleaning and tackle that with some GooGone or WD40 if it comes to that
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-23-2018, 02:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
A cheap shower curtain liner would be clear and cuttable. Maybe not as strong as visqueen but FWIW, that's what I Prime-ordered (because it's too hot to go to Walmart).
Old 10-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Aside: I'm **sick** of struggling to find threads due to the difficult search mechanism (and I know people use Google directly - but I find it to be hit or miss).

Therefore I'm going to start inserting unique tagging keywords into useful historical threads such as this one, to make them easier to search. This one's tag is "spareparts" all one word. In better threads, if we use obvious search words but omit the space between them, maybe that will prove to be a useful protocol.

Anyway, for T1N Interstate owners:

There's a highly useful thread here on Sprinter Forum regarding the sliding door handle breakage issue.

I ordered a spare inside handle using the eBay link provided in that thread because the price was reasonable and the listing said that there were only 5 available. Dollars to donuts, I'll need that part sooner or later.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:38 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Edit: Such a protocol does take the list of search returns down from about two thousand to just a few that can be easily parsed. The other two in this list presumably contain typos that accidentally duplicated the same space-less term.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
I believe it was on this thread when WACHUKO & I discussed bringing jumper cables in AI. He reminded me that with the BOOST ability, probably is not critical to have jumper cables. My thinking was not so much to jump a dead AI but to jump another dead vehicle from AI. Well, sure enough that happened to me while at the SoCal RV show. One of my cousins who live near Pomona came by to see the show. After we spent 8hrs. at the show, we returned to his dead battery (forgot to turn lights off). I could not back out AI coz his car blocked me. Luckily, I had jumper cables and long enough to connect to house batts near rear bumper.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:12 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
I believe it was on this thread when WACHUKO & I discussed bringing jumper cables in AI. He reminded me that with the BOOST ability, probably is not critical to have jumper cables. My thinking was not so much to jump a dead AI but to jump another dead vehicle from AI. Well, sure enough that happened to me while at the SoCal RV show. One of my cousins who live near Pomona came by to see the show. After we spent 8hrs. at the show, we returned to his dead battery (forgot to turn lights off). I could not back out AI coz his car blocked me. Luckily, I had jumper cables and long enough to connect to house batts near rear bumper.

Silly boy! Don't you know if you bring parts with you, it's supposed to ensure you'll never need them? Get with the program!
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:37 AM   #30
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Apologies, technically not the spare parts but I use these things for roping out crowded tenting/camp areas. Especially the Caution Radiation Area one. I doubt anyone takes it seriously, but both these are better eye catchers than the normal Caution yellow tape
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181105_171855.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	327167   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181105_171842.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	327168  

Old 11-06-2018, 04:52 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Salem , New Hampshire
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Apologies, technically not the spare parts but I use these things for roping out crowded tenting/camp areas. Especially the Caution Radiation Area one. I doubt anyone takes it seriously, but both these are better eye catchers than the normal Caution yellow tape
Reminds me of the biohazard decals I had around my workshop in the basement before we downsized. I thought I'd better remove them before we showed the house to prospective buyers.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #32

Orlando , Florida
Updating this thread as I found out the propane pressure regulator used:

JR Products 07-30385 Low Pressure 2 Stage Regulator

Having one failed last weekend, I will carry a spare one in the AI as initially planned...
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-29-2019, 05:48 PM   #33
Undereducated AS Newbie

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Charlotte , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
If it’s stuck…WD40
If it’s loose…zip-ties
If it’s broken…Duct Tape
Bob us
No offense, but Kano Kroil or PB Blaster are the 2 highest rated penetrating oils available on the market. They also are the best lubricating oils. PB Blaster shouldn't be used on plastics.
WD-40 is a great contact cleaner, gum from hair, etc.

Just learned that black zip ties are UV resistant whereas other colors are not.
Duct Tape is everybody's friend, I carry a black, grey & clear roll.
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:45 AM   #34

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
No offense, but Kano Kroil or PB Blaster are the 2 highest rated penetrating oils available on the market. They also are the best lubricating oils. PB Blaster shouldn't be used on plastics.
WD-40 is a great contact cleaner, gum from hair, etc.

GM (AC Delco) Fluid 88862628 Rust Penetrant and Inhibitor or ZEP version will outperform anything out there. Friend used to have a couple of Midas shop and that is what they used. I still have WD40, PB Blaster at home, but it is that AC Delco stuff that I use on really rusted stuff...

But to the spirit of the thread, it is to have something in the AI, as any penetrating oil will be better than not using it...

On the zip ties, good to know. Was unaware of that! Thank you!
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-03-2019, 01:44 PM   #35
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
WIMPY - I agree on both uv resistant black zip ties & duct tape. However, the uv resistance goes to pot in high desert sun. 1 full season, tops here in Las Vegas. I know, used every type of uv protected zip ties to guide my star jasmine vines on their trellises. Finally gave up and use stainless steel ones. Gotta be careful with them though, coz they have sharp edges and will dig into painted surfaces. I actually use the black ones coz they blend in vegetation better than the shiny ones. Never had one break or rust yet. PITA to cut though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1639331.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	345297  
Old 07-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #36
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
A macerator pump for the sewer system is tops on my list of things to have on hand. I'm sure glad we had an extra with us when ours failed last fall. I was able to change it in a parking lot after purchasing a few simple tools at the local Harbor Freight. There are some slight variations in the pumps used by Airstream so be sure to buy the correct model.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 07:41 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Back when I did Telecom- on towers we would often use ZipTies- and cover those with Scotch 33 tape. That would give more life, since it would take awhile for the tape to deteriorate, then the tie would last awhile.
(Holding transmission lines onto towers)

The bigger towers would generally use rubber holders- but most of ours were smaller- up to 100’ tall at the most.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:21 AM   #38
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
So I asked, and came to find out that the core failure was that the key fob somehow lost its addressing. Both windows just happen to have been rolled down at the time, and so there was no easy way to get them back up. They were sheeted over for protection as a result.

It is probably a rare failure, but if you are going to be carrying tape in your kit, it might be wise to include a bit of this green stuff, which is a painter's tape that won't leave a residue (available at automotive supply shops). Duck tape would make a roaring mess in this application. And maybe some clear sheeting, which has multiple potential uses.
A spare key seems like an obvious addition in this case as well.

Has anyone mentioned spare windshield wiper blades yet? I carry a pair of wiper blades in every vehicle (3 in my Honda because of the rear wiper), ever since I had a wiper blade self-destruct while en route to visit my parents in Oklahoma a couple of decades ago, and there were no stores open at the time to buy a replacement. You never realize how important good wiper blades are until you can't use them.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:00 PM   #39

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
A spare key seems like an obvious addition in this case as well.

Has anyone mentioned spare windshield wiper blades yet? I carry a pair of wiper blades in every vehicle (3 in my Honda because of the rear wiper), ever since I had a wiper blade self-destruct while en route to visit my parents in Oklahoma a couple of decades ago, and there were no stores open at the time to buy a replacement. You never realize how important good wiper blades are until you can't use them.
Protagonist, would have never occurred to me to carry a spare one... I change them in my vehicles every two years, or before, if they show lots of wear. The sun here degrades them quickly...

Which reminds me that I need to get a new set for the AI.

Thank you!
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-04-2019, 12:06 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I simply keep the just-replaced wiper blades way in the back (front) of the front overhead compartment, for use if the 'new' ones fail.

Spare mechanical (door unlock only) key hidden somewhere underneath is not a bad idea. We keep the spare electronic key in the glove box. Come to think of it, having a spare mechanical key to carry with me when there is a chance of getting drenched (rafting trip, etc.) is not a bad idea either.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote