Old 02-03-2016, 10:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Soap container on GT shower wall

Where it is located opposite the door it narrows the effective width of the shower. Anyone know if it is easy to take off of outside wall and put on rear wall where sink is?

Old 02-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsprinter View Post
Where it is located opposite the door it narrows the effective width of the shower. Anyone know if it is easy to take off of outside wall and put on rear wall where sink is?
VERY difficult. It was revealed on another thread (can't remember which one) that the dispenser is through-bolted to the fiberglass enclosure before the unit is mounted in the van, so at the very least you'd have to remove the outside window in order to access the back of the shower enclosure.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
VERY difficult. It was revealed on another thread (can't remember which one) that the dispenser is through-bolted to the fiberglass enclosure before the unit is mounted in the van, so at the very least you'd have to remove the outside window in order to access the back of the shower enclosure.
This is likely not correct, unless they made a change in how they install them in GT's. In my 2011, which has the identical soap dispenser as the new units, it is simply screwed in with self tapping screws. Not only did I remove mine, I also watched them install it (I should have told them not to) when Airstream replaced the shower stall in my 2011. This was done in 2014 at Jackson. I doubt they made any changes in how it is installed in later units as the shower stall is identical to non-GT models just reversed (in fact, the stall they used was pulled off the production line). I haven't seen a GT shower stall in person, but they appear to be similar in design.

There are four screws you can access when you flip it open in each corner. Simply unscrew them to remove the soap dispenser.

After removal, it's a simple matter of using a bit of white caulk to plug the holes. If you wanted, you could have them filled and repaired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	soap.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	256743  
Old 02-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
This is likely not correct, unless they made a change in how they install them in GT's.
I stand corrected. And lucky for the OP that I am wrong! So where did I read that? Maybe it was on the T1N models?

Okay, that fills my quota of mistakes for the day…
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Well, everyone's entitle to one mistake, now and then. Overall, I think your score is far above average. :-)

Having either witnessed them re-installing the first half of the Interstate's interior when they replaced the shower stall, or disassembled almost every other component myself before or after, including the overhead lockers, either in repairing, or upgrading something or other, I have a pretty good understanding of how they put them together. Usually, if there's an easy and quick way to install something, that's how they did it.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I stand corrected. And lucky for the OP that I am wrong! So where did I read that? Maybe it was on the T1N models?

Okay, that fills my quota of mistakes for the day…
To my knowledge, T1N's don't have dispensers. Not OEM, anyway. I've tried using suction-cup dispensers but none will stay on, and I don't want to drill that enclosure. This is on my list titled "workarounds not yet discovered".
Old 02-03-2016, 03:09 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
, Ohio
Where the current soap dispenser is located there is a metal reinforcement. This helps hold in place and does not allow for flexing causing damage to the fiberglass. If you relocate the dispenser the supporting from the backside is not there built into the shower. This may cause damage to the shower.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:40 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
In an Interstate? I don't recall any metal reinforcement on the back of the shell or behind the unit when they installed my shower. I couldn't swear by it as it's been some time ago. But I agree-I'd just leave the thing out. It's more trouble than it's worth.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:13 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
I stand corrected. There IS a metal plate behind there, if Jpairstream say so. He knows better than me. :-)
Old 02-03-2016, 05:29 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Depere , Wisconsin
I removed mine...no problems since and it looks exactly like the unit shown above by gmillerok1
Old 02-03-2016, 07:44 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sherrills Ford , North Carolina
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who saw how this dispenser was simply in the way. I have a 2015, and it was just four simple screws, and then four small white plastic screw covers from Lowe's to cover the holes. I didn't want to fill the holes, because the next owner might want to put the dispenser back. While I was at it, I took off the drop-down shelf over the passenger side rear seat. I didn't really need it, and it was always complicated to raise the seat when lowering that side to form the bed.
Now, if anyone has a solution to the interference between the slide-out shelves in the pantry cabinet, and the table when set up, I'd be eternally grateful. It seems that when the table is set up, the pantry door is about 1/4" short of opening far enough to allow the slide-out trays to do what they are supposed to do..... slide out. Can't reach my beer.....
Old 02-05-2016, 08:15 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
One of the first things I did was remove my soap dispenser, put it in a plastic bag for storage in the event of resale in the future and plugged the holes with white caulk. Barely noticeable and added several inches of width to the shower. I then purchased a removable toiletries holder and stuck it on the wall above the toilet - which puts it out of the way yet holds the products I want. This was last July - it has never fallen off.

WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote