Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St Augustine , Florida
So I screwed up........ hot water heater issue

So when I put my Interstate in storage I thought I had the hot water heater drained but didn't and the tank split. My dealer wants 956.00 for the part and everywhere else online I see the highest price is 599.00 for the part......... am I getting screwed or am I looking at the wrong part. It's a 2016 Interstate

John Jackson
www.NotStockPhotography.com
Old 01-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotStock View Post
So when I put my Interstate in storage I thought I had the hot water heater drained but didn't and the tank split. My dealer wants 956.00 for the part and everywhere else online I see the highest price is 599.00 for the part......... am I getting screwed or am I looking at the wrong part. It's a 2016 Interstate

John Jackson
Could his quote included the labor to pull out the old heater and install the new one? If it doesn't, I'd buy it from an alternative source, assuming you are going to replace it yourself. Labor in my neck of the woods from my dealer is around $115 an hour although with the beginning of the year I wouldn't be surprised if it's up even higher.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
$511

Not sure exactly what water heater you have, but you can buy a new Atwood 6 gallon dual fuel for $511 all day long right now. It takes about two hours to swap one. Need a tube of vulkem or similar caulk to seal it to the skin. It's a very easy thing to do. If that quote doesn't include labor, then they are making a princely sum on the parts price Best of luck,
Old 01-23-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

St Augustine , Florida
Nope that's before the 2.5 hour labor quote

John Jackson
Old 01-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:

John Jackson
Since this is not warranty work you don't have to go to an Airstream dealer. They are charging you the Airstream mark-up for a $600 water heater. Try an independent RV repair shop and you will probably get a better deal. The 2.5 hours for labor sounds about right.

If you have the capability to change it yourself that will obviously save a lot.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Search Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-91447-.../dp/B0016ZBP1Q

Unless he is selling a gold plated heater he is a thief.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

St Augustine , Florida
That's a thermostat assembly not a hot water heater

John Jackson
Old 01-23-2017, 04:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Look again there is more than meets the eye.
Scrool down to the heaters

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:45 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

St Augustine , Florida
Yea I still need to get the exact model off of mine for comparison just a bunch of hot water heater options and prices do me no good......... thanks everyone for the replies I'm just about done with this dealership so I'm a little frustrated. Bought a 16 with 10k on it when I was ready to buy a new one and it had a tire vibration and dead batteries when I first drove it they said it would be all taken care of upon delivery. After I took delivery it still had the same vibration at 70mph and the batteries went dead within six hours of disconnecting from shore power........now it seems like im getting shafted on a parts price.

John Jackson
Old 01-23-2017, 05:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Can you order the part yourself and take it to the dealer and have them install it (leave it new in the box)? If they won't do that, then I'd do as someone else recommended and have an independent RV repair shop do the swap (still purchase it yourself).

Just curious, but how cold did it get? I've had mine parked outside and didn't winterize anything and it's been down to 29-30* a number of times at night, no problem. Maybe my coach never got cold enough to freeze anything since it only gets that cold for maybe 6-8hrs???
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
For what it is worth any reputable rv repair facility can do the swap. Might be a good time to look at on demand water heaters.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Yea I still need to get the exact model off of mine for comparison
. . .
Specifying the exact water heater in your Interstate might help, as some posters may not realize that your vehicle is a motor home, and not a trailer IMO. I have always wondered if the Interstates have smaller water heaters. Likin' the suggestion to consider a tankless heater if one fits in your space.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Good time to consider on demand heat
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
John,

Looking at the specs for some other interstates, both EXT and regular lounge, they all list it as being a 6 gallon tank and looking at the logo on the corner of the door in photos it's an Atwood. Quick Google search and they seem to be about $300 or less. Check YouTube and some guy posted a how to replace one 6 days ago, in a stick trailer. YMMV good luck
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Consider upgrading to a Webasto diesel air and water heater to stretch that propane a bit further.

https://www.webasto.com/gb/markets-p.../dual-top-evo/

I can't vouch for this but if I were building a van from scratch it would have mostly diesel appliances.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:57 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Burkburnett , Texas
Atwood does sell replacement tanks for the hot water heaters.
paulken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by LB_3 View Post
Consider upgrading to a Webasto diesel air and water heater to stretch that propane a bit further.

https://www.webasto.com/gb/markets-p.../dual-top-evo/

I can't vouch for this but if I were building a van from scratch it would have mostly diesel appliances.
Whoa! At $2500 all said and done, that's one heck of an upgrade. Those do seem to be really nice units though if using diesel.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:25 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
Whoa! At $2500 all said and done, that's one heck of an upgrade. Those do seem to be really nice units though if using diesel.
It depends on how serious the owner is and where the rig falls on the personal priority list. My husband and I were jointly frugal together for the better part of a decade. Then we got the Interstate and decided it was going to be Our Thing, and the investments began in earnest.

At some point, one has to look at one's situation and decide what all the frugality had been for. I'm a self-employed person who has been doing what I do for 25 years now. Any professional in my shoes will tell you that motivation can start to wane unless there's something new is interjected into the mix, to keep it fresh. Our Interstate being a habit that's gotta be fed is a motivating factor for me. I'd get the diesel combo unit in a heartbeat. I immediately begin parsing that idea in terms of which contract do I have to win and deliver next, in order to end up with the net funds to cover it, over and above what I really should be earning as a de facto base salary.

I'm still curious about the T1N Interstate owner who commissioned Vancompass to do extensive exterior modifications (lifts, shocks, plates, custom rear bumper). Given the scope of that job, (s)he had to have been north of $5,000, perhaps approaching $10,000, on a vehicle that currently has a market value of around $60,000. THAT kind of investment would give me pause. It does solve specific problems but if one is ruggedizing an Interstate for off-grid use, it's a lot of money for mods that are really the tip of the iceberg for what it would arguably need in total.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:25 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
IB, what is the motivation for wanting to use diesel instead of LP? I would be worried about using up that fuel and not be able to drive to our destination. We had Webasto on our boat and they work well but there, we had massive diesel thanks. Not so on AI.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
IB, what is the motivation for wanting to use diesel instead of LP? I would be worried about using up that fuel and not be able to drive to our destination. We had Webasto on our boat and they work well but there, we had massive diesel thanks. Not so on AI.
We have a propane fridge and a much smaller propane tank than what is on the newer AIs so our boondocking is generally propane limited. Add in the scarcity of propane vendors in some parts of Canada and it starts becoming a source of anxiety and frustration.

The auxiliary pickup in your diesel tank will be higher than the one leading to the engine so you don't have to worry about waking up stranded in the middle of nowhere. Since the unit replaces both the hot water heater and furnace it could also free up some more cabinet space for other things.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote