Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Moncks Corner , South Carolina
I’ve watched all the “How To Interstate Videos” several times, read the manual over more than once, downloaded and keep for reference, the Airstream Interstate 3500 book by Rich Luhr, and I’m still learning something new all the time. Hope to be out the Newbie stage by spring. Safe warm all.
Delores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delores View Post
Update. This morning checked coach and things appeared fine. Didn’t want to turn on water pump just Incase tanks were frozen. FYI, I left coach plugged in all night and turned on generator to use heater. Didn’t hear generator running when I checked but found out The water heater switch was in the on position by accident. I guess too much for water heater and coach heater at same time. A learning curve indeed. Coach was still warm inside so that was good. Turned off generator switch, heater, and left tank heater switch on. Will plug in small space heater tonight and give it until weekend to check water system out. This girl will not get caught without the pink stuff again. Too much worries!! Thanks all for your comments and help. Learning takes time to fully understand it all, but you guys are always there to fill in.

If you did not empty the water heater you want to leave it on so the water in the heat does not freeze.
If you empty it and had the electric water heater on you need a new one the heating element it burned out.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #23
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
When this is over, also check the status of any outside shower fixture you may have. Folks often forget this, but it’s usually the first to freeze.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:03 PM   #24
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
When this is over, also check the status of any outside shower fixture you may have. Folks often forget this, but it’s usually the first to freeze.
My outside shower had been frozen and cracked at the dealer's lot, before I bought the rig. It leaked during our first trip with the new rig and was replaced by the dealer at no cost.

This year, I blew the water out of the outside shower with 40# of air pressure applied to the city water inlet. I also drained the water heater and taped a warning over the switches to prevent accidentally turning it on. All low-point drains were opened under air pressure and then shut

Even with those precautions, I removed the bottom drawer to allow heat from the ceramic heaters to more easily get to the water pump and outside shower.

After three nights of low 20s, it was 54 this morning and in the 60s now with bright sunlight. Tomorrow, I bring the AI home for a couple of days to install my new MPPT solar controller and refit the sewage piping with a Valterra drain cap as has been done by some others on this forum. All parts are on hand.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #25

I hope the OP has done something similar. If not, it's probably the first place to check for damage.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Another night of freezing temperatures. This makes night 4. Looks like It will be a low of 21 on Sunday, then start to warm up on Monday. If any of the tanks or water heater has frozen during this time, how would I know? I don’t plan to turn on any water source to check until sun melts all the snow and temperatures get back in the 60’s. Probably another 3 Days.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:51 AM   #27

You could have your dealer test your water system to see whether everything is OK - and then winterize your RV in case any other freezes happen before your next camping trip.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:57 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

There are no Airstream dealers near me, and since I purchased from a private party in Florida, other RV dealers have not been too anxious to serve in the past. But thanks for suggestions
Old 01-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Keswick , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Camerons
Call if you want some help

Hi Delores. I have the same model and year. Just came north from Florida and winterized in the parking lot of Walmart. It's not too hard to do. Nor is it time consuming. It does require a helper to see when antifreeze is coming thru pipes. And about 6 bottles of antifreeze. Happy to walk you thru it. 4164020345. Cameron
Old 01-07-2018, 07:25 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Thanks may need to take you up on offer. Need to wait until we thaw out in a few days.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:27 PM   #31

Any competent RV service center should be able to winterize your RV. Honestly, a water system is a water system. You don't need an Airstream expert to get that right.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:32 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Any competent RV service center should be able to winterize your RV. Honestly, a water system is a water system. You don't need an Airstream expert to get that right.

True. I suppose they were trying to imply that they had to service the customers who purchased from them first, and because of backlogs couldn’t take on mine. This was for a generator check, but then I figured out the issue on my own. They actually did me a favor without knowing it.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:20 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Must give an update since I started the conversation. All is well, nothing froze and I am preparing to drain the tanks tomorrow and winterize tomorrow. Again many thanks to all who gave an input. All I was seeing was $$$$ if anything was damaged.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:30 AM   #34
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Delores,

Glad to hear alls well.

Winterizing if you're able should be a DIY task. Manual should have details but learning how saves you $$ and avoidable repairs and worry.

Maybe getting to know some folks in the Low Country unit might give you some assistance.

If that don't work, drive up my way for a Saturday afternoon and we'll do the training. We'll even get Linda to learn and help.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

How far away are you, just Incase. From Moncks Corner
Old 01-12-2018, 04:56 AM   #36
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Pm sent.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Pm sent.

Much Thanks, got it taken care of.