Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2014, 11:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Basking Ridge , New Jersey
Snow concerns questions

Well my first week of ownership is fast approaching and I may get to celebrate with a snow storm. My AI is parked in my driveway and plugged in to a 20 amp circuit. It's been properly winterized, but we do (and have) intend to use it on fair weather days as large group transport.

That said, we don't have a cover for it and I'm wondering if I should tarp it for the impending winter storm, or just let it ride it out? Some day I hope to build shed roof carport for it but not this winter.

Any words of advice are welcome.

Thanks,

Scarlet bison

Silver 2014.5 Interstate EXT
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The Interstate has a quality finish as good as any, if not better, than any other vehicle. A cover would probably do more damage than it would prevent while being a real PITA to put on. Mine sits out every day just as do our other two vehicles. The AI actually seems to stay cleaner than the others.

There was a discussion about this subject a while back. You might try searching for it to see others pros and cons.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Tarps are not reccomended because wind or other movement makes the tarp leave scuff marks on the shell of the vehicle...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Skip the tarp or cover as others have mentioned. It will do more damage than good. I leave mine out in my driveway year round. We are forecast to get our first snow on Wednesday here near Baltimore/DC area. As 73shark pointed out the finish on these Sprinter vans is good - especially if you have a silver or black Interstate.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Basking Ridge , New Jersey
I've got the silver. Any issues keeping it plugged in?

Silver 2014.5 Interstate EXT
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletbison View Post
Mine is parked in the driveway w/ everything turned off that can be turned off. The solar panel keeps all of the batteries topped off, even on cloudy days. But there's nothing wrong w/ leaving it on shore power.

Of course if you want to leave something(s) turned on, then I'd recommend plugging in the shore power.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2015 Interstate Coach
Bandon , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletbison View Post
We keep ours on shore power all of the time while stored. I would suggest a small table top heater set on low and a small dehumidifier. We've never had a musty smell or dampness issues. Did this with our Bambi for eight years and it smelled as fresh as new when we traded it in on the AI.
Rapa Nui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
One more veto of a cover of any kind.

They do scuff the surface in wind, and anything that melts and then freezes on the roof will freeze the cover in place.

Yes, that is the voice of experience speaking.

We want to keep them pristine, better just to bite your lip and let it be exposed to what it will be exposed to.

Snow and ice won't hurt it a bit.

Maggie
Old 11-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Gatos , California
I'm going to second, or third (I lost track), the advice to Not put a tarp or cover on it. We had a convertable parked in our driveway with a tarp on it. The paint in ruined. Car is in storage awaiting it's fate.
LizabethLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I agree fully with what others have said. Many years ago I had a racing hydroplane that had a beautiful epoxy paint finish. I completely ruined the finish by covering the boat outdoors on a trailer one winter with a tarp. It completely took the gloss off the finish. Might have been some chemical reaction, but I suspect it was the tarp moving in the wind and abrading the paint.

I have heard folk say the same about moving a motorcycle on an open trailer - i.e. never to put a tarp over the bike.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The jetski dealer told me the same thing when l started to put the cover on for the drive home. Not a good idea.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #12
BikerBill

Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
I guess one way of answering this question: Would you tarp your car sitting outside? Sure there are a few more items attached than your car, but would you tarp your car I think answers it.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

this might be a horse, or deer of a different color, but

My mechanic strongly advised me not put the cover and tarp over my John Deere tractor. He said it was the cause of my rust issues, in that the moisture didn't evaporate. Also, he felt that I was encouraging rodents to nest there, because I was making a nice home for them.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
... the finish on these Sprinter vans is good - especially if you have a silver or black Interstate.
- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
My husband and I decided to be good little doo-bees and get the actual brand name polymer coating product that Airstream recommended, which is called Rejex (at least that is what was promoted in our paperwork).

That stuff is amazing, particularly in the way it sheds dirt. We now use it on all of our vehicles. The only downside: many small puddles of wet dirt inside my garage if I happen to drive my minivan in there after a light rain or mist (the dirt slides off that would normally remain stuck to the van).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:29 PM   #15

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
My husband and I decided to be good little doo-bees and get the actual brand name polymer coating product that Airstream recommended, which is called Rejex (at least that is what was promoted in our paperwork).

That stuff is amazing, particularly in the way it sheds dirt. We now use it on all of our vehicles. The only downside: many small puddles of wet dirt inside my garage if I happen to drive my minivan in there after a light rain or mist (the dirt slides off that would normally remain stuck to the van).
Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered Rejex online and will let you know if I DON'T have the same results you did.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote