Old 12-03-2015, 04:47 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
Snow chains

I tried to find the thread that discusses snow chains but I can not for the life of me locate it...

Heading up to the mountains next month and I want to get some chains or cables..

The manual calls for U type chains, but if I recall someone wrote that there might be a clearance issue with chains...

I was going to get a set of dually chains and a set of single cable.. If the the snow is not too bad I can just use the single cables if it's bad then I can use the dually chains on the rear and the cables on the front...

Old 12-03-2015, 06:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I found a few threads. Try these:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ns-128941.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ow-116029.html
Peter

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 12-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
I found them at Pep Boys but never bought any. I think they are called Z something or other. I had the manager check and theyi were available for Sprinter. I believe dually.

Big help, I know.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjgman View Post
I tried to find the thread that discusses snow chains but I can not for the life of me locate it...

Heading up to the mountains next month and I want to get some chains or cables..

The manual calls for U type chains, but if I recall someone wrote that there might be a clearance issue with chains...

I was going to get a set of dually chains and a set of single cable.. If the the snow is not too bad I can just use the single cables if it's bad then I can use the dually chains on the rear and the cables on the front...
Which mountains?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:48 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Just used cables 2 weeks ago on my Michelins into YOSEMITE, not a problem with my OLD INTERSTATE. One of the advantages of having only 4 tires. Sprinter tracked and handled beautifully while others were going off the road even when using cables. Driving in the snow on public roads is NOT a speed contest. AEW
Old 12-03-2015, 11:40 PM   #6
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We live in snow country in the mountains, and seriously-- if you are thinking about driving with chains because the snow is that deep, it is time to get off the road. Mountain roads, unless it is an interstate highway and sometimes even then, tend to be narrow and full of curves. When you hit ice on the road you can't try to stop suddenly or you will go into a skid.

Hopefully your vehicle has some beefy snow tires, not "all weather tires" which are only all-weather for people who don't live in snow country.

Putting chains on once the snow is such that you think you need them is no fun, either.

Unifreck mentioned other people going off the road. Even if you're a terrific driver, the people who are not can smack into you instead of skidding off the highway. I sure don't take any pleasure when other people have accidents and I don't. There but for fortune.....
Old 12-04-2015, 06:26 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
We are just going up to Blowing Rock in NC.. I doubt we will have much snow.. I would rather have them and not need them than to need them and not have them..
Old 12-04-2015, 07:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
We live in snow country in the mountains, and seriously-- if you are thinking about driving with chains because the snow is that deep, it is time to get off the road. ...
That was discussed on at least one of the other cited threads. If the snow is that deep, heavy accumulations of packed snow and hardened slush-ice under the Interstate could easily do physical damage to the non-Sprinter components that were NOT built to withstand that kind of weight and pummelling, including but not limited to the generator, the plumbing lines, the wastewater tank(s), the propane system, and the re-routed main engine exhaust line (which is positioned much lower on the Interstate than it is on the original Sprinter). Says a former Nova Scotian who spent much of the first half of her life kicking and chopping ice accumulations out of various automobile wheel wells.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:02 AM   #9
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjgman View Post
We are just going up to Blowing Rock in NC.. I doubt we will have much snow.. I would rather have them and not need them than to need them and not have them..
Oh, fer sure. It's just that if you need them, it's time to get off the road.