Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Small Space Living

I couldn't find a thread specific to this, thought it would be good to have a place where we can post finds especially suitable for our chosen life of small space travel.

Two of these tiny, battery operated clocks arrived today, replacing two "Spot-Ons" we have had for a couple of years but which I can no longer find, also which do not have replacement batteries. Batteries on these are to last 4 years.

They are solidly built and sturdy, and the face removes with fingertips to set time and replace battery. We have one by the sliding door, the other under the sound system in the rear.

Although it is nice to lose track of time and what day it is, sometimes ya just gotta know.

Maggie

http://www.formotionproducts.com/SL-10000-web[1].jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SL-10000-web[1].jpg
Views:	1605
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	176770  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I love those Formotion clocks. Those are definitely something I would consider getting.

Since I'm mainly an IT/computer guy, one of the things I have looked at is finding how to save space when it comes to electronics, where I can use as few chargers and adapters as possible. Apple products are expensive, but the one good thing is that I can have one charger for the laptop, one cable for older iOS devices, and one cable for newer devices. I also can get small laptop hard drives for backups. The printer is what is going to take the space, so one could use a portable printer like a Brother PocketJet. I'd also recommend a print to PDF program, so one could copy files to a USB flash drive (make sure it has a read/write switch so it can be made read-only, so you don't end up with any malware coming back) and use that drive at a campground or copy shop for printing.

The one thing I do want to look into is a small strongbox that can be bolted down. This isn't something that is as secure as a full blown safe, but is stout enough to deter the tweakers with a crowbar or hand tools. I like the Fort Knox Original Pistol Safe (one doesn't have to have a firearm to need a place to secure things. I use a safe to secure external hard drives, and vehicle paperwork), because it is well made, made in the US, and has a Simplex lock for quick access. If anyone has a better idea, let me know. There are bigger safes, but the trick is to find something that is compact, but yet secure enough.

On an extreme case, if at most it is just 1-2 people, I've wondered about using the space the third seat takes up for some type of storage, if that is possible.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There are a lot of items made for boats, which are good for space economy anywhere.

Had never thought to look at something for motorcycles, until searching for replacement clocks. Both of our Spot-Ons died within a month or so of each other.

One of my splurge purchases for the Interstate was a set of nesting, silicone bowls. Very lightweight, squishable and can be used for mixing, serving, storing leftovers and reheating.

Maggie
Old 01-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Stuff for tent camping can also be useful. If it's small enough to go in a backpack, it's small enough to go in an overhead locker in an Interstate.

Some of my gear was obtained for tent camping back before I got foot surgery, and before backpacking became my personal version of the Bataan Death March.

One item in particular is still available, the Coleman All-N-1 dining set:
Coleman All-N-1 Dining Set: Camping : Walmart.com.
The plates and shalllow bowls snap together to hold leftovers, with one serving as a lid for the other. The storage container itself works as a mixing bowl, too, and has a cover that snaps on. Best of all, with everything snapped into the storage container, it doesn't rattle!

Come to think of it, the whole set may be small enough to fit in the galley sink with the cover down. If so, the galley sink could hold my dishes in transit, and free up some more locker space for non-perishable groceries. I'll have to check on that when I get home.

Another thing that I use in my Interstate, one that might surprise some people, a 12vDC refirgerator that plugs into a cigarette lighter outlet and holds twelve 12oz. cans or six 20oz. bottles of my favorite carbonated diet beverage. As a solo traveler, I can't reach the Nova Kool refrigerator while I'm driving, so a small refrigerator in between the front seats is handy for storing sodas on a long drive. Then, at my destination, I move it outside, plug it into the external 12v outlet at curbside rear, and keep drinks cold next to my lawn chair under the awning.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I use an 8" x 11", 3" deep ring binder from the office supply store as a recipe organizer for when we are on the road. There just isn't room to store even a few cookbooks full of hundreds of recipes.

This size binder takes the CR Gibson vinyl pocket page refills for two, 4" x 6" recipe cards, holds many more pages than the standard recipe card book does and, as durable vinyl, holds up very well and wipes clean.

I make my own dividers, with fewer categories than commercially sold ones, but where I can always find favorites for whatever the need may be.

Easy to add to, with extra cards kept in the binder pockets.

Maggie
Old 01-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I like the recipe binder idea, I think I might start doing that at home, then I could just grab it and take with me when traveling.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I like the recipe binder idea, I think I might start doing that at home, then I could just grab it and take with me when traveling.
Post-it makes little stick on pockets in several sizes.

I have one of these stuck to the inside cover of my binder, to hold clipped recipes I want to try and smaller recipe cards I can grab if I need to make a copy for someone.

Love Post-its!

Maggie
Old 01-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Maggie,
Cookbooks -- I have about 350 recipes on several iPad apps. No paper, no notebooks, no cookbooks. You can access them without Internet access, otherwise I won't want them. I hope this helps.
And Protagonist,
I like your idea for a mini refrig for keeping drinks cool while out and about. FYI - I've been trying to lay off the stuff and have found one healthy and tasty alternative.
Purchase some Lakewood pomegranate juice from Amazon, and carbonated Pellegrino Sparkling Natural Mineral Water. Put just a little juice in the glasses (1/3) and fill with 2/3 sparkling water. Yum! Then-- I mix it up and forget the pomegranate and substitute some super-duper O.J. Juice or Apple Juice. I want to keep the calories down so I limit the amount of juice, I want good taste from the S.Pellegrino water, and the carbonation lets me think I not missing anything but getting a little healthy juice in the process. I make a large order to Amazon and they pay for the shipping! All this and it is delivered to my front door. For me it works. Like that one TV commercial said, "Try it, you'll like it".
Peggy
Mockinbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Mmmmm, iPad apps. . Also a good, and space-saving idea.

I have done some searching of recipes online, but am an old timer who likes some of the old ways---and some of my old recipes. Just sayin'. Some of us like and need paper, also have collections of great cookbooks.

We bought a 12 volt cooler a couple of years ago, and this would be especially handy for a solo traveler. They greatly extend refrigerator space for rallies/ gatherings at campgrounds, and/or when traveling with the grandbabies. Ours also heats, can keep items hot as well as cold.

However, be sure to pull this from the cigarette lighter when you arrive at your site, and plug into electricity, as they will drain your battery to the point that your vehicle will not start. Ask me how I know this.

Maggie
Old 01-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Maggie, I agree with you "GIVE ME PAPER" and I'm happy - my mind thinks in paper terms not ether 0's or 1's floating in the air somewhere to make an app. My most used ipad app is the Notebook Paper App. It looks like Yellow lined legal notebook paper. I have almost 900 items on my--” iPad-almost-paper-Notrbook-app”. But - that is where I put my recipes - and FYI you can get cookbook apps just for your personal recipes, not someone else's recipes. Problem is you have to type them all in - but once they are there - they are there. Hope you have a nice evening.
Mockinbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockinbrd View Post
Maggie, I agree with you "GIVE ME PAPER" and I'm happy - my mind thinks in paper terms not ether 0's or 1's floating in the air somewhere to make an app. My most used ipad app is the Notebook Paper App. It looks like Yellow lined legal notebook paper. I have almost 900 items on my--” iPad-almost-paper-Notrbook-app”. But - that is where I put my recipes - and FYI you can get cookbook apps just for your personal recipes, not someone else's recipes. Problem is you have to type them all in - but once they are there - they are there. Hope you have a nice evening.
I have seen that app, and even used it a couple of times. But, not for recipes.

I have Epicurious on my yahoo homepage, and did download their app so I could access my online "recipe box", though.

Maggie
Old 01-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Mmmmm, iPad apps. . Also a good, and space-saving idea.

I have done some searching of recipes online, but am an old timer who likes some of the old ways---and some of my old recipes. Just sayin'. Some of us like and need paper, also have collections of great cookbooks.

We bought a 12 volt cooler a couple of years ago, and this would be especially handy for a solo traveler. They greatly extend refrigerator space for rallies/ gatherings at campgrounds, and/or when traveling with the grandbabies. Ours also heats, can keep items hot as well as cold.

However, be sure to pull this from the cigarette lighter when you arrive at your site, and plug into electricity, as they will drain your battery to the point that your vehicle will not start. Ask me how I know this.

Maggie
That's why I move it from the dashboard lighter socket to the outdoor socket on the rear quarter panel— which draws off the house battery— once I reach the campsite and hook up my 30amp service.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That's why I move it from the dashboard lighter socket to the outdoor socket on the rear quarter panel— which draws off the house battery— once I reach the campsite and hook up my 30amp service.
Yes, that's what we do---now.

Maggie
Old 01-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have several of these in the upper galley cabinet, mounted in that unused space on the side and back walls. "Mix Packet Pockets" at the Container Store.

Toothbrushes and toothpaste are in one (we have no bathroom sink); seasoning packets for chili, tacos, etc, are in another; chicken and beef concentrate packets are in another, etc. Very space-saving, in that no shelf space is used.

With the heat those upper cabinets get in hot weather, we found the peel&stick tape these came with ineffective. Doug got short screws, drilled right through the plastic and narrowly into the wall. No more problems.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
your own recipes on your iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockinbrd View Post
But - that is where I put my recipes - and FYI you can get cookbook apps just for your personal recipes, not someone else's recipes. Problem is you have to type them all in - but once they are there - they are there. Hope you have a nice evening.
Oh but wait! There's another way!
Why not take a picture of your favorite recipes?
Take the picture WITH the iPad.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59 View Post
Oh but wait! There's another way!
Why not take a picture of your favorite recipes?
Take the picture WITH the iPad.
OMG.

Maggie
Old 01-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
LOL - the recipe thing is cracking me up. My wife has a bunch of recipes on her iPad.

We have a colander that collapses like this one. Tip - wait until it's dry to collapse it.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
mlts22 mentioned a safe. I have one of these for my 2008. Works great! But shhhhsh, don't tell anyone
Safe Stor
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post

Two of these tiny, battery operated clocks arrived today, replacing two "Spot-Ons" we have had for a couple of years but which I can no longer find, also which do not have replacement batteries. Batteries on these are to last 4 years.

Maggie

http://www.formotionproducts.com/SL-10000-web[1].jpg
I've found this to be a good place to find batteries. Free shipping.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'd like to know what folks are doing with these tiny closets.

We use wire hangers (take up less room than plastic) and those multi-pants hangers, also one of these hangs in the front which Doug & I share for socks and other small, personal items.

Works very well and uses vertical space rather than the limited cabinets. Lots of vertical space along the sides still goes to waste.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41Y5H0120PL._SY679_.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	176811