Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #1421
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We with older, 22’ Interstates don't have all that space back there, tho.

Still, I don’t feel mounting them on the wall is the answer, and yes, they would be possibly deadly projectiles in an accident.

Maggie
Old 09-06-2018, 04:05 PM   #1422
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
We are thinking of a little slide out (similar to a slide out pantry, but very thin) where the TV is in the back. We would then reattach the TV, etc. to the new wall.....
Bugs wins today's prize for originality. That's a brilliant idea. I don't know that I'd want to do it personally, but it's brilliant.

I'm still noodling on this. There may come a minor hobby out of it. The other night I suddenly realized that I had six different knives within arm's length in the Interstate. Six. I have them staged everywhere. There's both black bear and coywolf in the immediate vicinity of my summer property. I'm licensed to carry a handgun but of course I can't bring any of mine into Canada. Furthermore I confess to retaining a strong Canadian ethic where knives are concerned. Growing up, crime in my area was all about knives. So was defense. Occasionally a long gun was involved, but knives figured so prominently in the grand scheme of things.

Six knives within arm's length in the Interstate. Suddenly it occurred to me that I might like to learn to throw. I mean, really throw. I can practice that in my own back yard. Not true of the Ruger or the Smith & Wessons - I can't shoot the place up. I am going to look into the knife thing.

I suspect that a bear crossed close to us, early during our visit to my property. One morning, suddenly I had a bad feeling and I looked up. In the distance, I saw a tree with a mis-shapen top. For a moment, that tree top looked like the black flag of ISIS. I said to myself, "ISIS is here! They're coming! They've raised their flag!" I reached instinctively for the knife that should have been strapped to my left leg. And then I shook my head, figuring I had a major neurotic moment of random origin.

I put it out of my mind until a few minutes later when my husband strode over to face me and demanded to know why our dog was hiding in the van shaking like a leaf and wimpering.

I said, "I don't know, but I just saw the black flag of ISIS in that tree over there. Something dangerous just passed by. I didn't see it consciously but my subconscious told me that ISIS was coming to kill us. The dog obviously smelled it directly and it scared the crap clean out of her."

It wasn't ISIS - it was Ursus. Maybe I should learn knife throwing. And build a proper display and access case in the Interstate rather than having knives scattered everywhere.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:50 AM   #1423
2 Rivet Member

2007 Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I considered attaching this to that wall and decided against. Would've involved screws and would crowd the aisle. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WWHK4P2...lig_dp_it&th=1
Old 09-07-2018, 06:14 AM   #1424
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmm...

Would that fit over the closet or bathroom door, resting inside rather than on the exterior?

I have been very pleased with the one I have mounted with suction hooks on the bathroom wall behind the toilet.

We were judicious about the use of screws and permanent mounts, but did use some...particularly some stainless steel drop-down hooks, like you can still find on trains.

Great mounted on that wall space behind the driver’s seat, for jackets. Just use short screws.

I still have a couple, and one of these days going to put them up.

Maggie
Old 09-07-2018, 08:26 AM   #1425
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Instead of screws, how about "Command Hooks"? They come in all shapes and sizes PLUS easily removed with little or no marks.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:48 PM   #1426
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Did a little search for hanging tool bags.

Found this:https://www.atlas46.com/products.htm...-XL/p/47853420

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:46 AM   #1427
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Did a little search for hanging tool bags.

Found this:https://www.atlas46.com/products.htm...-XL/p/47853420
Irrespective of what I do with all my knives, we do need a new tool bag that works in a small space. Right now we have a standard bucket bag type thing, and it sucks. It's difficult to cram under the couch and then it's difficult to find anything in it.

There's Sprinter tools, including this T1N product:

https://www.millionmilesprinter.com/...he-road-tookit

But then there's the host of general use tools that one needs around an off-grid campsite that are not within that particular set.

And then there's hardware. Rule of life: never mix tools and hardware. Hardware is becoming a larger issue with the need to carry spare parts of various kinds.

Still thinking on this.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:26 AM   #1428
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Question about removing things like soap dispenser, seat belts in back, etc....what are you plugging holes with?
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #1429
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Question about removing things like soap dispenser, seat belts in back, etc....what are you plugging holes with?
One of the first things I did was to remove the silly soap dispenser.

In the hardware section of Lowe's or Home Depot, look in the drawers and you will find a variety of hole plugs in different colors. You may need to enlarge the screw holes slightly with a drill bit to take the plugs.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:47 AM   #1430
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Thanks. I'll check that out!
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:17 AM   #1431
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I made a cardboard box that was the exact dimensions of the freezer. My wife loads the box inside the house and then carries it out and transfers the items to the freezer. WShe uses removable trays on all shelves in the fridge, but don't think it would work well in the freezer. After several days we get a build up of frost that make it difficult to remove individual items and I think would make it impossible to remove them all in a box.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:18 AM   #1432
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I made a cardboard box that was the exact dimensions of the freezer. My wife loads the box inside the house and then carries it out and transfers the items to the freezer. WShe uses removable trays on all shelves in the fridge, but don't think it would work well in the freezer. After several days we get a build up of frost that make it difficult to remove individual items and I think would make it impossible to remove them all in a box.
So was that inspired by my post a few pages back, or is it a case of great minds thinking alike?

I didn't want to go with wood or cardboard because I was worried about (a) it falling apart due to humidity and (b) air movement being blocked by solid sides. So I found a mesh basket to fit the space.

I now need to find or make a vertically-integrated ice cube tray to fit that little remaining slot at right. I had real trouble making ice on our last trip, and Texans can't survive without it. I cut down a silicone ice cube tray and mashed it in there, but it really didn't work well. It was inelegant and inefficient as it did not take advantage of every cubic inch of space like it needs to.

Old 09-09-2018, 02:27 PM   #1433
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

I now need to find or make a vertically-integrated ice cube tray to fit that little remaining slot at right. I had real trouble making ice on our last trip, and Texans can't survive without it. I cut down a silicone ice cube tray and mashed it in there, but it really didn't work well. It was inelegant and inefficient as it did not take advantage of every cubic inch of space like it needs to.

You’ll have to wait, apparently, but pretty cool!

https://uncrate.com/cube-tube/
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #1434
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
TXNTRVLR - Like your article says, "unless you have portable ice maker" . . . well, that's what we carry.

INTERBLOG - Ice trays, in Las Vegas? Today, we were out at Lake Mead's Boulder Beach near Hoover Dam and it's only 105 No way even 10 ice cube trays would work. We always carry an IGLOO 103 in summer, makes 26 lbs., any melted ice gets automatically returned to be frozen again, 3 cube sizes, uses less than 2A, and perfect match to AI stainless steel decor, 1st set of ice in 8 mins. so does not take away from fridge limited space. In LV heat, where one can dehydrate in 20mins, this device is better than having a spare tire, if I can only carry one or the other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Igloo-ICE103-Counter-Top-Ice-Maker-1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	322048  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:09 AM   #1435
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Interblog,
The freezer box was my wife's idea. She is in charge of packing the fridge and gets an amazing amount of stuff in it. She wanted to maximize freezer usage and had a variety of containers to choose from as she prepared stuff in advance. We test-packed a variety of containers in the cardboard freezer to see what worked best, then carried it all out to Titus. We do not use the cardboard box in the freezer because of the frost build-up I mentioned previously. The bottom shelf of the fridge is noticeably warmer and the top shelf nearly freezing when packed to the gills, so plan location accordingly. No veggys on the top shelf unless you like them crunchy - due to ice.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:14 AM   #1436
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Alex
From what I can tell that is 2A at 120V. So the Igloo is only practical when plugged into AC as powering it through the inverter would deplete batteries too quickly. 200 W of solar operating at max during mid-day would not even keep up. Correct?
Old 09-12-2018, 07:09 AM   #1437
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
This question revisited again:

Does anyone have a 12 volt water boiler (kettle) that they like? Cigarette lighter plug, preferably.

I bought a generic one at a truck stop several years ago. Worked perhaps twice before it broke.

On Amazon, there is the product called "Uniox Car Cigarette Lighter DC12V Electric Kettle Boil Water Heating Cup Vacuum Insulated Automatic Working (Red)". Lotta one-star ratings for the same issue - cheap crap that broke quickly. Except that one is listed at a price where I'd expect it to work for more than two times.

I have a traveler's immersion coil that I bought in Manhattan in 2014 after finding that NY's megabucks hotels don't come with the standard $15 mini-coffee pot that one finds in every $70 flea bag motel establishment. I'd rather not use it in the Interstate because it's AC and I'd have to invert. Plus, I'm hoping for a mostly-sealed container that would not splash boiling water while the van is in motion if it happens to hit road craters while the heating is taking place (which rules out a pot of water on the gas stove or even in the microwave).
Old 09-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #1438
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Bugs wins today's prize for originality. That's a brilliant idea. I don't know that I'd want to do it personally, but it's brilliant.

I'm still noodling on this. There may come a minor hobby out of it. The other night I suddenly realized that I had six different knives within arm's length in the Interstate. Six. I have them staged everywhere. There's both black bear and coywolf in the immediate vicinity of my summer property. I'm licensed to carry a handgun but of course I can't bring any of mine into Canada. Furthermore I confess to retaining a strong Canadian ethic where knives are concerned. Growing up, crime in my area was all about knives. So was defense. Occasionally a long gun was involved, but knives figured so prominently in the grand scheme of things.

Six knives within arm's length in the Interstate. Suddenly it occurred to me that I might like to learn to throw. I mean, really throw. I can practice that in my own back yard. Not true of the Ruger or the Smith & Wessons - I can't shoot the place up. I am going to look into the knife thing.

I suspect that a bear crossed close to us, early during our visit to my property. One morning, suddenly I had a bad feeling and I looked up. In the distance, I saw a tree with a mis-shapen top. For a moment, that tree top looked like the black flag of ISIS. I said to myself, "ISIS is here! They're coming! They've raised their flag!" I reached instinctively for the knife that should have been strapped to my left leg. And then I shook my head, figuring I had a major neurotic moment of random origin.

I put it out of my mind until a few minutes later when my husband strode over to face me and demanded to know why our dog was hiding in the van shaking like a leaf and wimpering.

I said, "I don't know, but I just saw the black flag of ISIS in that tree over there. Something dangerous just passed by. I didn't see it consciously but my subconscious told me that ISIS was coming to kill us. The dog obviously smelled it directly and it scared the crap clean out of her."

It wasn't ISIS - it was Ursus. Maybe I should learn knife throwing. And build a proper display and access case in the Interstate rather than having knives scattered everywhere.
There it is. again... bringing a knife to a gunfight. Not for me... waay too close for my comfort. (Maybe I should mention that I just returned from the ER with stitches in my right middle finger where the new pocketknife snapped-shut over it.... cut clear to the bone.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #1439
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
There it is. again... bringing a knife to a gunfight. ...
But in Canada, it's not a gunfight. It's a knife fight.

I got some throwing knives in two sizes, and last weekend chopped up some 4x4 scrap to make a practice target (which I've already destroyed part of). It's not very often that I get six consecutive sticks. It is definitely a skill that needs to be developed with a lot of practice. But I'd rather have SOME skill than none at all.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:37 PM   #1440
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
It is definitely a skill that needs to be developed with a lot of practice. But I'd rather have SOME skill
INTERBLOG - Nice! I can't even stick darts consistently, let alone a knife. On my younger days, when I was training, I got pretty good at throwing stars, even better/accurate with slingshots. But as you say, without constant practice, the skill is lost fast. I wouldn't even want to have it around with my grandson around. My AI would be his huge target
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote