Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2016, 04:23 PM   #761
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
*Love* this wall pocket strip - here you see it storing a pocketknife, LED book reading light, iPhone while charging, glasses, paperback novel, and the TV remote - six items with room to spare, and it's only 0.75 inches thick. On the other side of the vehicle I have a bedside caddy, but this space here was too small for anything bulky. However, the 12 V and 110 outlets are directly above the TV, so there's no way my husband is going to store his iPhone anywhere but right here. I did not want to drill into the side of the cabinet so I mounted it with the Scotch exterior double-sided tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160109_POCKET_STRIP.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	255380  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #762
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's a great idea, and it goes so nicely with the AS decor!

Maggie
Old 01-09-2016, 04:38 PM   #763
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Interblog that magnetic strip looks great. Think we'll pick up a few of those to act as our nightstands. Nice description and the photo pulls it all together for us visual folks.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:45 AM   #764
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
As a postscript, after some personal trial and error I have found the following with respect to neodymium magnets.

For these types of applications in which an object such as a TV remote is made to be magnetic, I've found that the best magnet size is 3/8 in wide by 1/16 in thick (here is a link to my favorite source - $0.41 apiece). If you get them thinner, they shatter too easily (neodymium magnets are brittle). If you get them thicker, the object sticks out too far from the surface where you want to place it and you run the risk of knocking it loose as you pass by in the narrow space of the Interstate.

It is really easy to over-do a neodymium application. This pocket strip comes with six of its own powerful neodymiums - but they have a smaller radius and a thicker depth, which makes them very difficult to manipulate (you'll nearly bruise your fingertips prying them loose). Those come-with neodymiums would be best for (e.g.) sticking objects to the outside of the strip such as a Broadway playbill or something.

Pretty much any object that I can superglue a neodymium onto, I have done, especially because I installed that magnetic org board behind the driver's seat (shown previously in this thread). I always take a file and score the back side of the magnets and the receiving object before gluing, for best adherence.

I will caution against the newer style "gel" super glues, however. They are slower-drying and it's very easy to smear them where you least expect it. I haven't found a brand that I like that is similar to what "Krazy Glue" was when it first came out decades ago.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:05 AM   #765
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I found somewhere, too, a magnetic tape with a peel and stick backing.

Not terribly strong, but works for small things.

Maggie
Old 01-10-2016, 10:09 AM   #766
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
These little guys do an excellent job of cleaning things like the inside of our kitchen cabinet doors, which are white and tend to accumulate scuff marks.

Takes them right..off..., along with what appears to be somewhat ground in dirt that regular cleaning apparently leaves behind.

It also took a lot of hidden grime off the exterior of the AC.

I have used these very effectively on marks on the painted exterior, will now keep one inside for just these purposes.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #767
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Hi Maggie,

Great Tip!

What type of exterior marks on the paint?

Thanks,
Bugs
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:10 AM   #768
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Bug bits and residue, bird strikes, road grime, etc.....anything that doesn't readily remove with elbow grease and washing.

It even took some smudges off my cutting board/work surface I keep on the counter.

Maggie
Old 01-11-2016, 07:04 AM   #769
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I found somewhere, too, a magnetic tape with a peel and stick backing.

Not terribly strong, but works for small things.

Maggie
Not terribly strong but large surface area and high coefficient of friction, which are also important. I use cut-to-size magnetic business card backers for this purpose on objects that are less suitable for neodymiums or don't need neodymiums such that I can save on the cost.

For example we have a tire gauge with a large circular dial instead of the tiny stick gauges which I find more difficult to read. That gauge needs to live on my magnetic org board so that I can put my hands on it in an instant. The surface area of the back side of the dial is large enough for a sheet magnet. The only caveat is that superglue must usually augment the existing sticky back.

Here is one such product:
ProMAG Adhesive Business Card Magnets Pack Of 25 by Office Depot & OfficeMax
Old 01-14-2016, 06:24 AM   #770
2 Rivet Member

2007 Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I don't think I have a use for this--or space--but maybe you do. It will only be available for today.

Redi Top Portable Folding Table - Sport.Woot
Old 01-14-2016, 06:59 AM   #771
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotdonne View Post
I don't think I have a use for this--or space--but maybe you do. It will only be available for today.

Redi Top Portable Folding Table - Sport.Woot
That's an interesting device to add/increase table surface. If the link you provided is only good today it will be difficult for others to know what you're referring to.

Here's a link to YouTube as well as a picture:

If the link doesn't work just search YouTube for Redi Top
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Redi Top.PNG
Views:	183
Size:	428.3 KB
ID:	255694  
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:43 AM   #772
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have been using a couple of the smallest of those shown here, for warm socks.

These are from ebags.com.

Hanging them by their carry handle on small hooks toward the top of the closet uses up otherwise empty vertical space, and makes them very easy to access.

I store other clothing items in the larger bags in the area under the benches.

They fit perfectly.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	255855  
Old 01-19-2016, 09:21 AM   #773
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Have you ever come upon a communal dump station, seen what someone had left there, and said to yourself, "You. Have. Simply. GOT. To. Be. Kidding. Me." ?

That was me yesterday morning. If I gave you an accurate description, the Mods might delete this post for the sake of decency. Let me just say that I had 250 miles to ponder what I was going to do differently so that I would be maximally prepared for the next time I came upon a scene like that. Forget about carefully doing the dump deed and washing hands thoroughly afterward. I needed to pre-stage full-on pathogen control measures.

I was not going to stash yet another item in the Interstate's limited interior cabinetry that I would routinely forget to retrieve, or spend too much time rummaging around for, every time I stepped out to unleash the hose. It needed to be kept in situ. I would have preferred to strap this little supply box closer to either the under-mounted dump hose or the Valterra valves for the tanks, but the Interstate is so small that there simply wasn't room under the chassis in either of those locations. So I chose this alternate location right under the lip of the bumper for easy access. And with that, hopefully my dump-inspired nightmares will abate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160119_DUMP_STATION_PPE.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	255962  
Old 01-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #774
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I would have preferred to strap this little supply box closer to either the under-mounted dump hose or the Valterra valves for the tanks, but the Interstate is so small that there simply wasn't room under the chassis in either of those locations. So I chose this alternate location right under the lip of the bumper for easy access.
On newer models with a macerator pump, it's possible to store nitrile gloves in the hose reel compartment. In place of a rigid dry box, a small dry bag— available in the camping and/or boating sections of Cabela's or Bass Pro, at West Marine, and other fine "sports & outdoors" retailers— could be used to store disposable gloves in that compartment.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:44 AM   #775
2 Rivet Member

2007 Interstate
re: dump stations

I haven't had that experience, but live in fear of it! I posted about my black tank leak last year and received great guidance from Interblog and others. Decided to go with an Airhead compost toilet to bypass all black tank issues. A bit ironic that am going lower tech to solve such a fundamental problem. Will convert black tanks to gray, I hope. Can't find much about this issue in these forums. The sailors have lots to say, however, and I'm hoping I agree with them!
Old 01-20-2016, 06:57 AM   #776
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotdonne View Post
re: dump stations

I haven't had that experience, but live in fear of it! I posted about my black tank leak last year and received great guidance from Interblog and others. Decided to go with an Airhead compost toilet to bypass all black tank issues. A bit ironic that am going lower tech to solve such a fundamental problem. Will convert black tanks to gray, I hope. Can't find much about this issue in these forums. The sailors have lots to say, however, and I'm hoping I agree with them!
(1) If you could post or PM pics of your new commode (views above and below the cabinetry / floor level), I would be eternally grateful (it would be good to start a new thread because I don't think we've heard from any Interstate owner who has done that conversion). I'm considering either composting or incinerating based on the feedback I read on one or two of the trailer threads. We have a mid-bath model so our black tank abuts the existing electrical converter. It's a hygiene concern but also a small-space concern because if we can delete our black tank, that frees up the obvious space for the future lithium battery array. And we are severely limited on where we could place one or more additional batteries.

(2) Unfortunately there is still the gray water management issue even with the black tank resolved. I encountered the dump station horror scene on Monday at one of the most popular of the Texas state parks. The competition for reservations in our state park system is remarkable. Even on a Sunday night in January with temperatures falling to 32 F, there was still 100% overnight occupancy, with many die-hards in tents as well as RVs and trailers. There were signs saying, "If you discharge gray water, we will find you and we will crucify you." Actually the wording was a little simpler than that, but the message was clear, and there were workampers everywhere to enforce the rules and manage such a large volume of campers. In more remote locations it is possible to discharge gray water to the ground surface without causing a problem or offending anyone. Not so in a place like that, and so centralized dump station use was obligatory.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:58 PM   #777
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I interested as well knotdonne. Do you still have the ability to shower in your motorhome with the composting toilet in place?

Thanks,
Bugs
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:02 AM   #778
2 Rivet Member

2007 Interstate
It's not done yet--the van in the limestone mine until March. Will post when done.

Airhead assures the toilet is fine in a wet bath.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:28 AM   #779
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wall mount cereal dispenser

I reall love the look of these....they also come in sets of 3 or more, in a couple of different styles.

Wall mounted, plastic, sleek and space-saving, hold 13 oz.....coffee beans, oatmeal, cereal...good for anything dry, that is oft-reached for.

I think they would be great for getting some things out of the limited cabinet space and onto a small wall area in the galley.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	112
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	256661  
Old 02-02-2016, 06:42 AM   #780
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
These are by Zevro, and also come in single mount...

I like the brushed stainless on these...on edit, actually grey plastic.

An advantage to the 3 canister model is that the mounting framework is large enough to lend itself to good mounting tape....the single canister would require drilling holes.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	134
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	256662