Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #461
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I stand corrected, and apologize for disseminating misinformation.

When we are wrong, here, someone will always know and set the record straight.

Ours pulls up if empty, and I have seen those.

The swing aside ones look like a nice solution to the extra storage issue.

Maggie
Old 12-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #462
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
bonginator,

I don't know your situation or how you camp or what your needs are so please take this with a grain of salt.

We downsized this summer from a 345 MH to an Interstate. We did not tow with either.

As I was taking out all of the stuff from the 345, I couldn't believe how much stuff I had squirreled away. It is true that I don't have as much versatility in cooking (yet - working on that and finding new interesting changes) as I did in the 345, but it has been worth it to us. We camped more in the 8 weeks we had the Interstate (before putting it away for the winter) than we have in the last 3 years in the 345 because it is so easy to just go. We put all the things in a pile that we really needed for a trip and see where we were and if we thought it would fit. We heavily edited and found smaller solutions for things. I am about 95% happy with where we are stuff wise and will make adjustments as we go forward to settle out the rest. Oh and we still have some empty space! We just completed a 10 day 1500 mile trip and are extremely happy we downsized to smaller. We have a 2007 mid-bath rear dinette (couch and two side seats).

Hope this helps,

Kate
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #463
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwils25 View Post
... solution was to mount three hooks on the back of the rear overhead cabinet (see photo). ...
Very nice, and speaking of hooks, I got a set of four cabinet hooks delivered today, and they have proven to be perfect for our vehicle!!!

Target's price is much, much lower than most other retailers, and free shipping:
Lynk Over Cabinet Door Organizer - Hooks - Satin... : Target

Here are some pics in case you'd like to see these in our Interstate:

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: CABINET HOOKS FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:55 AM   #464
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Those are great, IB!

I have two on lower cabinets in the galley area....one for the dishtowel and one for a trash bag.

I had one for paper towels, but hated the horizontal bulk it created in the narrow galley walkway so went to a magnetic one on the heat plate over the burners....hangs plenty high to be clear of the heat, and is a good excuse to clip coupons to buy the more expensive, pretty paper towels.

I look for and stash the small (3 gal) black trash bags that Brawny makes, as they are sturdier, have a drawstring, and are so much less conspicuous than a grocery bag.

Maggie
Old 12-10-2014, 06:42 AM   #465
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Here is another option for a swing away cargo carrier:

http://www.stowaway2.com/store/pg/20...Away2-com.aspx

We've been considering getting a rear cargo carrier but really don't want to add on the extra length. Also, we like to haul our bikes on most trips and this carrier would preclude that. We have just learned to live with the space that we have and on recent trips we have not felt that we need more cargo space.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #466
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm with you guys, kwils & bugs!

A cargo carrier is a good thing to have at times, but not necessary for routine travel and enjoyment, IMO.

It is mostly a matter of what you use most, and have to have, that pares down what you carry with you....vs. carrying with you everything you might ever want.

"The more you know, the less you need".

Maggie
Old 12-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #467
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
I am in agreement with Maggie. The more one travels the more it becomes apparent what one needs to bring. The answer is usually less. Also keep in mind these hitch carriers add another 5 feet to the length of your vehicle. If you own an ext we are now talking 29 feet in length. Our travels have made it clear 24 feet is max. Even my bike rack adds to much length to the vehicle. The purpose of the vehicle is to go anywhere do anything. If storage becomes a major concern I begin to wonder if a 30 to 32 class A with basement storage would be a better choice.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
nesoutlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #468
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep.

We have found the hitch hauler vital when traveling with the grands or when camping rather than traveling. Of course, a family traveling in an Interstate would need the extra storage, too.

We bought folding bicycles last year, to still have the bikes but eliminate the carrier. Love them.

They are a bit of a pia to move from the rear if you are driving every day, but very much worth it to us in the long run.

Now by myself , I have found that leaving one bike ready to ride in the rear is much preferable to folding it and putting it in the bag.....easier to get in and out for me, and to set near the side door if I am just stopped for the night. And, seem to be about half the size of a standard bicycle.

I did a fair amount of overnight boondocking my first long-ish trip this fall, and this worked very, very well.

There is a fairly recent thread just on folding bicycles, pros and cons of different types.

Maggie
Old 12-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #469
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks for the information on storage and downsizing from a TT. It is very helpful.

When we go, we usually camp for several weeks and we have cyclists/fly fisherman aboard which require extra gear (and gear that gets dirty). It's very helpful to hear how people have addressed this requirement.

I agree with the comment about accumulating lots of extras in a TT. I found that the last time we winterized our unit and cleaned it out!

The size of the IS is very appealing for getting into smaller sites and also ease of loading/unloading.

Thanks for all of the great info. If others have ideas for solving this need for carrying this gear while living smaller, I'd love to hear them.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #470
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
Thanks for all of the great info. If others have ideas for solving this need for carrying this gear while living smaller, I'd love to hear them.
I think the trick to carrying all your bike and fishing gear, without adding an external carrier, is to just leave most of your OTHER stuff at home.

On our recent 4 month trip, almost the entire 1/2 wardrobe was filled with cycling gear and clothes. And a few other cycling things, we packed into a duffel that went under the bed.

On the other hand, we hardly brought any other clothing along. If you look at our photos, we're wearing the same things, day after day, week after week...didn't care!

Anyway...cycling & fishing are your priorities, so just leave other stuff at home!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #471
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Privacy Curtain for the 2007 Interstate

When we purchased our 2007 Interstate this fall, the privacy curtains were missing. They were ordered but so far we have only received the front one - the side one is still being made. I happened to have yoga "towel" - one of those long body sized microfiber versions. The size is quite compatible with the opening and sticks to the door velcro easily. The bonus is that I can use it as the second towel to dry my hair after a shower - yea - a multi-use privacy curtain! After I use it to dry my hair, I just snap it back up on the velcro so it can dry - and the microfiber dries quickly! When stored, it takes up very little space.

Once the factory curtain is delivered, we will decide if we want to carry the original design with us all the time or continue to use the yoga towel for that purpose.

Kate
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:22 AM   #472
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's a great idea, Kate!

I, personally, dislike the way the inside-attached privacy curtain looks, from the inside and the outside, preferring the outer windshield cover when that is feasible.

Maggie
Old 12-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #473
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
I was looking for additional storage in the rear compartment of our AI EXT.

I installed the second cabinet today. There is still storage on each side of the cabinets for tall items and areas behind both cabinets for small things. The center is still open for storage as is the recessed storage area. It is even more tempting now to install an overhead cabinet between the two vertical cabinets!! I am still waiting for the cabinet knobs that match the ones on the overhead cabinets.

jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:24 AM   #474
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Very nice!

I am certain I don't have that kind of room in the rear of mine.

I would suggest coating those exposed surfaces with something, to protect from nicks and scratches, and carry a permanent black marker, or stain touch-up stick, for those which will inevitably come.

When these scratch, they show near-white.

Maggie
Old 12-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #475
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Follow up on installing extra cabinets

The center shelf in each of the cabinets is fixed and a structural part of the cabinet. Each cabinet came with four additional shelves and shelf pins. The bottom of these shelves have four holes pre-drilled. The shelf pins are to be inserted both into the side of the cabinet and into the bottom of the shelf. The shelf pins did not fit very well and I was concerned that the shelf might fall due to the stresses from the motorhome being driven down the road.

At Lowe's I found 5mm shelf pins that fit the existing side holes. I drilled a hole in the shelf pin and then attached the shelf to the pins with screws. Now the shelf is solid as a rock.

jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:58 PM   #476
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you find yourself in need of spare cash, could probably pick some up doing custom work for others less handy.

Maggie
Old 12-17-2014, 07:53 AM   #477
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Coroplast privacy screen for the Interstate, for those times when it is desirable to have a bit of sleeping separation between non-spousal travel companions. Sourcing, sizing, construction, and safety tips in the post.

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: COROPLAST PRIVACY SCREEN FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_0338.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	228789  
Old 12-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #478
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Small Space Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Coroplast privacy screen for the Interstate, for those times when it is desirable to have a bit of sleeping separation between non-spousal travel companions. Sourcing, sizing, construction, and safety tips in the post.

Nice idea! From the pictures of your rear "jackknife" twin beds is see why you like that arrangement - much more usefull than the folding lounges now in the AI.
Thanks,

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #479
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Wouldn't work for me w/o seat belts.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:05 AM   #480
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Kitchen sink mat repurposed as a utensil holder for the Interstate. The knotted sewing elastic loops can be repositioned at will to accommodate whatever is needed, and the utensils don't make any noise as they bump up against the soft plastic. Sourcing and installation instructions given in the post.

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: KITCHEN UTENSIL RACK FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_0419.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	228826