Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2014, 06:48 AM   #341
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I bought two books about a year ago, that I am still perusing and pondering how to best utilize their recipes:

Meals in a Jar, by Julie Languille

The Prepper's Cookbook, by Tess Pennington

I will never be a survivalist or "prepper"......at least, not by design ..but like the idea of having some things put together and sealed up, to cook later with something fresh.

I had tried a few things, before this last winter trip, and gave some things to the grown kids to try.....like cookie mixes.

Plan to try more, now need to downsize recipes a bit, and can be less concerned about meat.

They are interesting, lots of great ideas.

Maggie
Old 11-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #342
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
We use our AI science oven (microwave) to make oatmeal in the mornings. Plus the occasional microwave popcorn or heating up of cold coffee. Have never used it in convection mode. We cook our meals on the stove top.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #343
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
My wife makes me steel cut oatmeal most days.
She soaks the oats overnight and then "cooks" them for 20 to 30 minutes in the morning. After this I am sure I could never eat microwaved oatmeal again!!!
Alton Brown (Good Eats) did a show on cooking oatmeal where he first toasted the oats in butter first (how do you negate the health benefits of oatmeal?). Amazingly good…
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #344
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I read this article about microwave popcorn being one of the top ten cancer-causing foods, which swore me off the pre-bagged stuff.

I have started putting 1/4 cup of kernels in a brown paper lunch bag, and doing that. Toss with just a bit of butter and salt, and it is yummy. Less fat and calories than doing it stove-top, which I would never do in the Interstate, anyway.

Soaking steel cut oats and then cooking helps some with the digestive issues these can cause. My son cooks them in the crockpot overnight.

Maggie
Old 11-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #345
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
I do believe there is something carcinogenic about microwave popcorn, which is why I NEVER eat microwave popcorn at home. And on our 4 month trip, we made it 2-3 times. I'm OK with those odds.

I make regular oatmeal, but I do make it in the science oven, even at home.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:10 AM   #346
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There is just something so handy and tasty about the pre-bagged stuff.

Unpopped kernels in a paper lunch sack is only slightly less convenient, I have found. When popped, I pour it into a bowl and toss it with a slicone spoon that has a dab of real butter on it. The heat of the popcorn melts the butter and adheres it to the popcorn.......a bit of popcorn salt, and voila!

Maggie
Old 11-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #347
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
For those of you who insist on instant oatmeal I found this from Alton Brown...
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #348
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have to say......that looks disgusting.

Thanks for sharing.

Maggie
Old 11-08-2014, 01:52 PM   #349
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Park City , UT
great travels sized meds, condiments, etc

I just received my resupply shipment today for the Airstream. We get most of our stuff from Minimus.biz - for all your travel size needs. Great single packs/travel sizes of meds, condiments, etc. Most of it is very reasonably priced. I spend a lot time on planes, so I found this site post 9-11 for travel needs. With limited space in the Interstate, I find lots of great items for there too. Here's a shot of some of the stuff that came today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3256.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	378.7 KB
ID:	226009  
kaylorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #350
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm, those would be handy.

Especially like the tiny condiments. Packaging is such a luxury.

I put things like yellow mustard, which I seldom use, into tiny salad dressing bottles, those made for packing in a lunch.

Will have to check that website out.

Maggie
Old 11-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #351
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I like that you can buy just what you want.....don't have to buy a hundred of something.

They have travel sized toiletries you can't find just anywhere....like contact lens solution.

Great site, kaylorsan! Thanks for sharing.

Maggie
Old 11-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #352
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I picked up my collapsible storage ottoman at WalMart this morning, and love it.

15" square, black, leather look, sturdy, sturdy, sturdy. Weighs 5-6 lbs, I would estimate. The lid is recessed nicely, and lays steadily when inverted, so could be used as a tray/table of sorts. I am very pleased with it.

It will fit perfectly in the rear of the Interstate, will neatly contain my yarns, and is a very good value, as the Irish would say.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	226072  
Old 11-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #353
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I am that old, too.....probably quite a bit older than both of you.

My kids claimed our household was that last in at least the US to have a microwave....it was in the mid-80's, I think.

I have double ovens, and love them. No oven in the Interstate, tho, which challenged my cooking when we were on extended trips.

Voila!!.....Dutch Ovens!

Maggie
THAT is old ... depending upon how you define THAT ... and we are not even Dutch!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #354
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am increasingly in love with my FoodSaver vacuum sealer, purchased a year or so ago.

In my still-new, solo life, it is put to use at least several times each week, now that I feel a bit more like cooking, to portion out and freeze whatever I have cooked, lest I be required to consume the dish ad nauseum from my frig. I also use them to freeze single portions of meat or poultry, and lately raspberries @ $.50 apiece in the store.

My favorite sized bag is the pint, as it nicely holds a single serving. I keep quart bags for soups/chili, and cut-to-size rolls for whatever.

Down to my last few pint bags, I went looking online this morning for a good price and found the best prices....by far....at FoodSaver.com.

They currently have great prices on bags, free shipping @ $25 or more, and $20 off 4 boxes of bags or rolls!

FoodSaver Holiday Savings: Get Over $450 In Total Savings

Maggie
Old 11-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #355
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Boerne , Texas
Outfitting our AS for use. We will be renovating slowly, but are using it in the meantime. Anyone have any pointers on space savers or things that I shouldn't waste my money on?

Gwendolyn
campindaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #356
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ummmm, read this thread and we won't all have to repeat it.

Lots of good tips from lots of folks.

And, congratulations.

Maggie
Old 11-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #357
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by campindaisy View Post
Outfitting our AS for use. We will be renovating slowly, but are using it in the meantime. Anyone have any pointers on space savers or things that I shouldn't waste my money on?

Gwendolyn

Welcome to Airstream Lifestyle Campin Daisy!

We are all newbies at some point and now the real fun begins "outfitting" your very own new small space home on wheels. The wealth of information here shared by helpful generous forum members is endless. The single best advice for me was....only take what you need and and love; be sure each item has more than single use for being "worthy" cabinet/drawer/closet and leave the rest home. Basically put simple things, or things we make simple, can make Airstreamin Lifestyle more enjoyable.

Final tip: Look in your own home (go shopping in your closets, cabinets, storage) for items you may already have... I really wanted to add a vase for dinette table or outside picnic table but could not justify the space...last trip I have picked the last flowers in my garden before our late fall camping trip and with a quick look in my kitchen cabinet found the perfect Airstream flower container and quickly removed the shaker top of an empty stainless steel shaker container.
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #358
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Boerne , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
Final tip: Look in your own home (go shopping in your closets, cabinets, storage) for items you may already have... I really wanted to add a vase for dinette table or outside picnic table but could not justify the space...last trip I have picked the last flowers in my garden before our late fall camping trip and with a quick look in my kitchen cabinet found the perfect Airstream flower container and quickly removed the shaker top of an empty stainless steel shaker container.
Great points! I have a love of pretty picnic ware so that is definitely going in there! Not microwave safe, but it won't break either. And I have been toying with the idea of taking stealing my stainless utensil crock from my home kitchen for use as well. I just have to explain why all the kitchen utensils are sitting all over the counter to my husband. I'm pretty sure when I'm done our "Penny" will be outfitted better than my house.

Gwendolyn
campindaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #359
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Remember that anything you have set out must be secured for travel, or you will find items all over your floor when you stop for the night.

I set such things in my sink.

Maggie
Old 11-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #360
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The microwave is good for storage also.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote