Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2019, 07:28 AM   #1661
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Small Space Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

Amazon description (about $7 each): FurArt Genuine Leather Coin Purse,Change Purse With Zipper,Soft Leather Coin Pouch Mini Size

I think this is the correct link:

https://amzn.to/2lusOVR
Old 07-19-2019, 07:15 AM   #1662
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I've got a separate thread for cab table ideas, but this pic of my DIY arm rest caddy also captures the coinage solution if you peer through the bottom of the steering wheel.

Every teeny tiny bit of small space organization adds up.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:41 AM   #1663
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Small space clothing:

Believe it or not, this style of women's low-cost, low-bulk polycotton shorts has almost disappeared from the marketplace.

Every last pair of lower-cost women's shorts in Academy right now has a thick and bunchy elastic waistband. Every one of them - I checked.

That style is not good for the traveling I do because:

(1) It's uncomfortable for sleeping in. I always wear clothing to bed (not PJs) while highway-boondocking because you never know who will knock on the van at midnight (sometimes law enforcement).

(2) A thick elastic waist does not air-dry well during off-grid camping. It tends to remain soggy.

(3) In the deep south, we avoid elastic because it attracts chiggers.

(4) IMO those elasticated shorts also look terrible, like we are scrunching modified trash bags around our waists or something.

Anyway, at this point, it's an apocalyptic style of experience walking into one of the few remaining Sears brick-and-mortars. But they do have those shorts on the rack for eight bucks a pair.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:10 AM   #1664
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
PINE PLAINS , New York
Big Dog, Small Space

1966 Caravel - Compact, yet comfy! Even for a Big Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream - Abe in the Flo[w].jpg
Views:	42
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	347051  
lakemaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #1665
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Clothes Hamper

One problem we have encountered since leaving trailers for AIs, is the lack of somewhere to put dirty clothing. In the trailer, we used a see-thru mesh hamper in the closet that we could carry into the house after a trip. In the AI, that became an eyesore no matter where we tried to hang it. No one needs to see my dirty underwear, socks, and wadded up T-shirts!

I installed a permanent, opaque hamper in the AI that conceals our dirty clothing. I suspended it with footman's loops from the shelf I added beneath the rear upper cabinet. The hamper zips open at the bottom for emptying. On the road, we will empty it into a canvas tote to carry to the laundry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hamper.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	347164  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #1666
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Sometimes I need to go to considerable effort to DIY van upgrades.

Sometimes they simply fall off a retail shelf. Rarely, but case in point here: A Craftsman magnetic cup holder. They were intended for use with those large rolling upright Cadillac tool chests, to stick on the sides of them. But there is just enough steel exposed at our van's rear door latch that it fits nicely here.

A cup holder, in the rear of our Interstate - first time in 5 years.

Of course, it can also be taken outside and stuck on the side of the van when needed. A very good find, especially given that it fits every cup that I use on the road, and a few that I do not. The magnet is very strong - it will hold a 30-ounce Yeti.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:59 AM   #1667
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
John - Nice clothes hamper solution.

We've used a collapsible bag that stands up and conceals its contents, at least on the sides. It used to get placed in the passenger foot well when parked and shuffled to the back each time we hit the road. Ugh.

There was this unused space above our soft sided dog crate that begged to be filled, so I fashioned a simple shelf that stands up on the floor and surrounds the dog crate. It is held in place with the same bracket that once secured our table top that we never use. The shelf serves double duty as an anti-escape apparatus... little Winston is quite the Houdini if we leave him alone. Now we have a permanent place for the laundry hamper... AND it now conceals the top view of our unmentionables.

First photo is Before. Note the Blue crate changed to Red... because Winston destroyed the Blue one to regain his freedom while we were away.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	347229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelf in place.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	347230  

Name:	Installation detail.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	347231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Packed up and ready.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	347232  

Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:26 AM   #1668
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I quickly concluded that this simple magnetic cup holder needed to be higher-visibility so that we would not bash into it (if on the inside), or forget it (if stuck to the outside of the van).

I ended up with a bit of a crackly texture because paint does not want to set in Houston in July. It will dry, but not set very well. No matter - it's just a cup holder. A much brighter one now.

Orange is literally the new black.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:32 AM   #1669
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I have a folding cup holder like came with the Eurovan on the back door (screwed in). Works really well. I’ll try to find a link.

Edit:

This is the same thing, I’m not sure if I got it here or someplace else.
(I think someplace else since the ones I have not are black)

http://www.eurocampers.com/OEM-Repla...der_p_364.html
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #1670
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I've got one of those up front in my "mobile office", but I did not want to pierce the metal door with anything, especially with a steel surface being immediately available.

Furthermore, I like the idea of being able to move this outside. It will do double duty.

It's one of two magnetic designs I'm trying out right now. The other should be deposited on my stoop by Amazon later today.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:04 PM   #1671
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
My wife bought these silicone lobster-mitt like hand grippers. Leave it to grandson to stick his toys & tv remotes & our cellphones inside the pouches. The light bulb turned on. Ended up cutting off the short pouch, leaving a few inches to drape over behind the window ledge. Removed enough of the sides so it does not jam the powershades in the extend/retract motions. The silicone & AI mouse fur work great at sticking to each other, yet does not mar the mouse fur. Great for holding our cellphones close to the seats, sofa, & bed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190815_194825.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	349532   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190815_194845.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	395.3 KB
ID:	349533  

Name:	20190815_194923.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	349534  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:25 PM   #1672
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
That is freakishly clever out of the box thinking. Can we please get more data on the store/ source and part number data?
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:51 PM   #1673
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
That is freakishly clever out of the box thinking. Can we please get more data on the store/ source and part number data?
RMKRUM - my wife bought it from our local HOME GOODS (TJMAXX) for $3.99 each. It's made by DEXAS. I see different designs too at Amazon & BedBathBeyond but more expensive for the same exact ones, go figure. . Just be sure to use keywords DEXAS silicone oven mitt (mini, micro, or pinch). They come in many colors, different sizes, and shapes. Just be sure it's the right size & shape for your device
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190815_213818-1.jpg
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	349540   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190815_213834-1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	349541  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:04 AM   #1674
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Many thanks. Details make a great idea spread!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:54 AM   #1675
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
That is a great idea. Since my cat likes to lay in those window wells, I'll see if they hold up with him!
Thanks
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #1676
Contributing Member

Someone posted that bottles could be stored in the GT, under the wastebasket. I had built a wine rack in the 2014.5 Lounge, but I hadn't found a good place for my wife's wine bottles in the 2018 GT. That post started me thinking.

I had two bottle holders that I had bought for the refrigerator, to keep wine bottles from rolling around. Those bottle holders didn't work very well. I decided to move them to the wasted space under the wastebasket.

I cut off little projections on the bottle holders that were intended for stacking them. There were two plastic corner braces on the back wall of the cabinet. I moved the braces nearer the center of the space. Those two changes allowed the holders to mount tight against the back wall. I used some VHB tape and some screws to permanently mount the bottle holders. The photo shows a holder with an empty wine bottle I used for testing the location.

I still need to put some felt pads on the rear of the bottle holder and on the drawer front in case the bottles shift on turns.

Thanks to whoever gave me this idea. With the drawer pulled out, it is easy to move bottles in and out.

I also keep the Sprinter manual and info in that area. I put a label by the wastebasket because I would surely forget where it is otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190816_094010.jpg
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	349576   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190816_102150.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	243.5 KB
ID:	349577  

WBCCI #9632
Old 08-17-2019, 08:35 AM   #1677
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
John - That was me with the bottle storage. I like what you did to improve upon the idea.

I've not been happy with just using the adhesive rubber bumpers to prevent bottle roll because I keep buying different products with varying bottle diameters that can then knock about while driving.

So thanks for the extra idea; I'll look around for something similar.
~Mark
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #1678
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
John - That was me with the bottle storage. I like what you did to improve upon the idea.

I've not been happy with just using the adhesive rubber bumpers to prevent bottle roll because I keep buying different products with varying bottle diameters that can then knock about while driving.

So thanks for the extra idea; I'll look around for something similar.
~Mark
Thanks. I stopped by this morning and put self-adhesive felt bumpers on the rear end of the tray and on the backside of the drawer front to ensure that the bottles are well protected. I had to move the holder for my spare roll of paper towels up an inch to allow the bumper on that side to lay flat against the wood. The neck of the bottle just barely cleared it before, but there was not enough space for the felt pad to center.

There is just enough width so that the wastecan can slide in easily. I can hear it rub against the edges of the plastic bottle holders, but there is no resistance.

With the drawer pulled fully out, it is easy to slip a bottle in or out sight-unseen once you know where the bottle trays are.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-18-2019, 08:37 AM   #1679
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post

I know... kids aren’t limited by experience maybe?

I found the mitt on Amazon.... a bit more expensive but then again I don’t have to go hunting!

https://amzn.to/2KG80Fa
Old 08-18-2019, 08:40 AM   #1680
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You can often find those little silicone mitts in stores near where Dutch Ovens are sold.

I have a red pair, but not the little spot by the window to hang them. :

Maggie