Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2018, 03:55 AM   #1541
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That’s a great idea, IB!

Maggie
Old 12-30-2018, 05:43 AM   #1542
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Thanks for this one. On our 25 twin we have flip down doors like that under each bed.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:16 AM   #1543
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
And now for something totally different, but still on a Small Space Living theme...

One of my buddies emailed me and asked me if this product is real. Sub-text: How can it possibly be real?

It reminded me of birthing mothers putting cabbage leaves on their breasts immediately after labor and delivery, to modulate their milk coming in. Sure as heck, those cabbage leaves wilt from the heat.

In Texas, of course, we have the practice of warming up an aluminum-foil-wrapped burrito on a truck engine block (with the engine running). You are not a real Texan until you have done that at least once.

But, within the context of the Interstate, I think I'll pass on this product shown below. As small as our space is, I think we can always find better options.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #1544
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I do, indeed, feel like a room without a roof. I've got that "Happy" song playing in my head right now. And I continue to be amazed that MAJOR space gains like this are still attainable after four years (!) of Interstate DIY.

TL;DR on the blog post linked below:

1. Use fishing line strung between wooden dowels to "saw" the OEM mirror off the inside surface of the T1N Interstate's closet door.

2. Clean up adhesive and re-mount mirror on front of the closet door using 3M tape (and by the way, I now see that I prefer it on the front - who knew?!)

3. Cut down the remainder of the IKEA Stuk shoe pockets (the piece left over from the shoe mounting described a few posts above) to fit the rear closet door. Punch holes in the Stuk with a nail, seal / melt the nylon holes using a soldering iron, screw into position using stainless steel hardware.

4. Stuff with an astonishing amount of items that don't weigh much and don't exceed the depth afforded by the closet's recessed shelving.

Major decluttering event here. "Room without a roof" type win.

OPTIMIZING THE CLOSET DOOR OF AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE

Old 12-30-2018, 05:50 PM   #1545
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
If that was space saving, imagine how much space this would save if we could Zero-G the interior of the AI during sleep mode
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7077318-3x4-700x933.png
Views:	84
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	330675  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:18 PM   #1546
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
IB-
I have used shoe holders inside my closet doors on this rig and our last. I do think you improved on my methodology; I attached with a staple gun. And I will totally be using them on the flip down doors at floor level like you did-what a great idea.

I would say that don't overlook the usefulness of just 1 pocket. I have one on the back of the upper door above our pantry pullout out just for the tablecloth clips.

Also for others at home, if the pocket is too deep, you can "shorten" it by stapling a new bottom seam directly on the top of the pocket to the door. We did this where the closet shelf butts up against one of them. You can see that in this photo.

This one is from Big Lots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	330680  

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:56 AM   #1547
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
PiggyBank, that's a nice job. I didn't know that Airstream made closets that narrow.

This type of add could be accomplished in various ways. I first thought about maybe doing a large Velcro attachment system, in case I was carrying something in the closet that was too bulky to use the pockets - in other words, make the pockets removable (or semi-removable - I thought about making them such that they could be emptied and rolled up to the top like a window blind). But then I realized that empty pockets could just flatten against the door in that scenario, with no need for removal.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:45 AM   #1548
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I bought these stainless wine glasses about 4 years ago and then proceeded to NOT carry them in the Interstate because I couldn't find a good storage place for them. They seemed to be in the way all the time, and we hardly ever drink alcohol, so they got ejected from the van.

However, it would be nice to have a glass of wine now and again, and that's best accomplished using wine glasses. These have a closed-cell foam base insert described as "non-skid" by West Marine (the product's primary target market was boaters). I used a razor blade to cut indentations in those foam bases and inserted neo dots - the thicker ones, 3/16ths of an inch. The foam base itself is about 3/16ths thick, so they sit flush with it.

The caveat is that it is always a challenge to get neo dots to remain affixed to anything. This holds true whether it's DIY work or good-quality products such as from Container Store. I am frequently re-adhering neo dots to multiple items. The problem is the high localized forces applied when pulling the items from their magnetic attachment points. The magnets are so strong that they prefer to remain married to the metal, not glued to objects.

In this application, I sanded these neo dots on the circumference as well as on their back sides (to increase adhesion surface area) and used little "pools" of superglue, applied in layers, to attach them into the indentations. Therefore the superglue is holding on the circumferences and not just on the back sides. Hopefully that will hold better.

They certainly aren't shaking loose for as long as the magnet glue holds. The 3/16ths magnets are very strong. And the stove's heat shield is the perfect place for them. No combustion hazard with stainless steel.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:11 AM   #1549
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
BTW, let me preempt the obvious question about the wine glasses:

What if a magnet lets go and the wine glass falls and smashes the glass cover of your stove?

Excellent question. I'm in the process of trying to convince one of the internet's custom cutting board manufacturers to offer non-skid food prep cutting mats **CUT TO SPECIFIED SIZE**.

Right now, thicker polyethylene cutting boards CAN be ordered in custom sizes, but the non-skid thin mats are sold in standard sizes only (see image below for example).

Jury still out on that effort. I've told the manufacturers that there are thousands of these stoves and sinks sold, and that owners would jump at the chance to realize a way to protect those glass covers, which cost about two hundred bucks apiece to replace when they break. I've also explained that they MUST be non-skid products because they are for use in MHs and trailers on the road.

If that effort doesn't bear fruit, I will finally get around to DIYing a solution. I've long wanted protective covers for our SMEV stove and the sink, but I would prefer them to double as low-profile flexible cutting boards, the bend-able kind such that I can fit them in the sink to wash them. Wine glasses aside, I've already had other items fall on those covers and it's a miracle that neither has shattered yet.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #1550
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Scrubba wash bag...

Personally I use a Home Depot bucket as a "washing machine", but this product is not a bad alternative. Obviously I don't take my bucket on the road - it's a "leave at" option, whereas this is a "take with" product. I can see where there would be applications for this, yes, especially while boondocking. Not a bad small space idea.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:00 PM   #1551
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
The FitRV did a positive review on it a couple of years ago. James reviewed how the Scrubba did on his bicycle racing clothing. Entertaining (as all their videos are).
Scrubba has updated the valve per their website as well since this video.

https://www.thefitrv.com/?s=scrubba

Bugs
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:16 AM   #1552
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
This is a product that I WILL be getting when they come out with a better color. Why they had to produce v. 1.0 in the exact color of sewage sludge is a mystery to me - pretty much any other choice would have been superior (it looks a bit gray in the photo below, but it's actually more yuck brown). It's called the "microwave multi-mat". I saw it in BBB yesterday. I can think of about six different uses for it in the Interstate - very efficient. The color matters because I might like to leave it on top of the round Dometic sink to protect the glass, so it would be visible much of the time. This one has a honeycomb pattern that would be useful in providing a measure of impact protection. There's another version on the market, but it's flat.

Generally speaking, any functional item made of high-temp silicone is a plus, but the range of products on the market right now is fairly small.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:55 AM   #1553
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
QUESTION - Image below by Tronadora from another thread.

Has anyone discovered high-quality LEAK-PROOF smaller spray bottles, less than full consumer size? Small-space friendly?

I have to carry an acetone-based spray solution for cleaning our 3M CR-70 tinted windows, plus regular Windex for cleaning the exterior (acetone is for interior use). I'd prefer to leave the acetone at home, but condensation on the inside of the cab windows tends to make a mess of them.

I will be cursed before I carry two full-sized spray bottles like this when I really need maybe 2 to 4 ounces of each product per trip.

Plus these containers are designed for household use (standing upright) so they leak if tipped or sloshing. I would prefer to dole out smaller quantities of the cleaners into more secure containers. Acetone works wonders to clean the tint surfaces, but it is flammable.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:44 PM   #1554
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
QUESTION - Image below by Tronadora from another thread.

Has anyone discovered high-quality LEAK-PROOF smaller spray bottles, less than full consumer size? Small-space friendly?
INTERBLOG - IMHO there is no such thing as a leakproof spray bottle UNLESS you go through the trouble of removing the spray head when not in use and put the screw-on cap. By virtue of having the straw and nozzle, liquid will wick-out even when upright as you experience the altitude differentials. Not bad when you are coastal like you, but it's a constant occurance where I am where I can be going through 5,000 ft. altitude change within my local 40 mile driving range. Having said that, I have found the COSTCO eyeglass cleaner (2oz) or MEDI-AIRE biological odor eliminator (1oz) bottles to be the best for such small spray bottles. The COSTCO has a separate cap to use in lieu of spray head. I have a few in the AI for all sorts of liquids.

But with regards to Windex and cleaners like Simple Green, etc. these small bottles are not enough for me. I go through Windex & Simple Green & citrus degreaser like water, especially after a bike race, so I always carry full size container of those liquids.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190105_120638 1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	331129  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:27 PM   #1555
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
IB & Alex - Brilliant solution... I was just thinking about this yesterday. I love the "spritzer" controlled and limited spray performance from those little bottles.. they're great !!
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #1556
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
INTERBLOG - IMHO there is no such thing as a leakproof spray bottle ....
Call me a sucker for punishment, but I ordered this product to try it out. Do you believe what is written on Amazon? I probably believe that stuff just a bit more than I believe the mainstream news media, but that's not saying much. Only 11 reviews on the product, but all 11 are "verified purchasers" giving 5 stars. When does that happen?

Old 01-07-2019, 08:05 AM   #1557
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Yet another small-space issue resolution.

I use kebab skewers A LOT while camping, especially in remote areas where only the most basic types of groceries are sold. Sometimes generic cuts of meat and whole raw vegetables are the only fresh foods available (other than apples and oranges).

Bamboo skewers are out of the question - they splinter, and then you might swallow the splinters, which cannot be good for your health. IMO, bamboo is overrated. The only reason it's used in some products is that it is perceived as 'green'. It's good for floors, but I'm not sure what else.

I had been carrying a couple of stainless skewers, but they present a storage hazard - they have the capacity to be lethal weapons. Good ones are too long to fit in our Interstate's galley drawers. I bought some short ones, but they are too thin to grip the food well. Surface area is too small.

I'm delighted with this $18 product, the BearMoo extra-long skewers, which come with their own storage bag. I split the lot of them in half, retaining 5 in our stick-and-brick house for BBQ use here, and 5 for the van.

I plan to attach their canvas holding bag under the galley counter as shown in this photo below - this area represents yet another inconvenient space impingement by a gas line, this one being for the stove, but I can rest the edge of the case on the hardware clamp as shown, and then attach the other end to the side of the cabinet using hook and loop or a clamp or a couple of screws through the side seams. Other long, skinny items can be inserted into this same pouch, as there is extra room in it. The pouch has a hook-and-loop closure on the end that faces outward.

Kebabs using the old short skewers, camp fire pic taken last summer. I enclosed them in the grilling basket on that day because they kept losing pieces from the too-thin skewers.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #1558
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am loving this stainless steel, 6 cup teakettle I bought last year.

Perfectly proportional for the Interstate, blends in nicely, and weighs next to nothing.

I wrap it in a dish towel to carry in the lower galley cabinet, where it rides very nicely atop and amongst the other kitchen things in there.

I wanted a proper teakettle out here, for tea or an instant mocha, etc...there is just something about a proper kettle, along with a lovely mug of choice, for hot beverages.

It’s just so civilized.

My mother would have a proper teapot, as well, never a bag with the string dangling down the side , also would use pretty cups & saucers, and serve on an equally pretty tray...whether doing tea for two, or tea for six.

But, this is an Interstate, not my mothers dining room.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	29D668BC-0D4C-42B3-9680-39BF326B6F81.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	331363  
Old 01-08-2019, 09:25 AM   #1559
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

Ditto on a small teakettle being so useful. Sad to say that Revereware got bought out I guess, and discontinued their 6-cup model.

What? !!!

After decades of using one . . . small . . . compact . . . great balance and just the right whistle IMO.

Grrrr . . . guess we will have to resurrect the old one with SOS and lots of elbow grease!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #1560
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is not Revere Ware, which I would love, but a sturdy stainless with a classic shape I like.

It doesn’t whistle, either.

Maggie