Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #1401
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

We want to do something like that to have a magnetic surface for small stuff, photos, notes...things like that. We thought about using one of those magnetic whiteboards...that way we can also write on it... But I can't seem to decide where I will place it without blocking or screwing into the lovely finish of the TB interior... and not sure if double face tape would do the same, or more, damage if we ever wanted to remove it...

At some point we will just go like "the heck with it" and put it in the wall next to the sliding door...which seems to be the perfect place for it (another place would be the wall next to the bathroom door, but that faces the kitchen and not towards the driver/passenger seats).

We want to, talked about it as recent as the last trip we just made, we are just not quite ready to do so right away ...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #1402
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I jut ordered three of these for the Interstate...going to use the double stick Wall Mount bits to stagger them on the outside of the brushed aluminum bathroom door.

That’s what I used on the magnetic board on the bathroom door of the other rig, and it worked great.

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Enliste...47160229&psc=1

There has to be someplace for magnets, in particular, but also notes if one is so inclined.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5E7F38CC-6936-4C95-A4BF-3A83877A1336.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	316450  
Old 07-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #1403
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Great idea. I need to do that.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:37 PM   #1404
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Porta-leggs

When we first got our 2007 Interstate (rear sofa), we used the table under the couch to make up the bed. I later found there was another table top that was the cover of the "basement storage compartment and was a bit smaller. Both could be used inside the Interstate with the screw-in floor mount. But there was another pole in the 2-pole bag that was smooth on both ends that was a mystery.

About a year after later, I found a little black vinyl bag tucked next to the back of the basement storage compartment. I hadn't seen it or found before it because of its location and the darkness in the compartment.

It was a gadget called a porta-leggs and in its own little black vinyl bag lined with flannel. This gadget was a "foot' for the mystery leg and could turn the inside tables into outside tables. Porta-leggs were used in yachts and campers for several years. The Porta-leggs can still be found sometimes as New Old Stock or used. I have seen something similar in the Fiama catalog, but don't know if it is the same sizing.

The different lengths of legs can still be bought new on Amazon or from the manufacturer (ITC-RV.com). Both ends of the legs are smooth (not the screw in type inside some rigs). Legs can also be bought and cut to size - the manufacturer sells the smooth end caps for this person. One can always buy an extra leg for use outside - they take up very little room and much less than an extra table. Every inch counts in a van!

I have a 12 inch leg to make a side table, a 24 for a dinner table and a 30 inch for cooking prep.

These are also great as an extra table or when boon docking.

These are very handy! (Apologies for the sideways pictures)

FYI the porta-leggs fold down to an approximately 3 inch cylinder, but I didn't have an in focus picture

Katy

Name:	IMG_1634.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	856.8 KB
ID:	316644

Name:	IMG_1630.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	316645

Name:	IMG_1626.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	538.4 KB
ID:	316646
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:50 AM   #1405
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have those tables, bugs, and a little bag with extra legs, but haven’t deployed them yet nor even examined the black bag.

Nice to know what they are.

Maggie
Old 07-13-2018, 01:44 PM   #1406
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I could definitely live without this gizmo, but I needed to achieve my $50 threshold for free shipping on Duluth Trading, plus I'm a complete sucker for anything magnetic. And it's MAGNETIC, I tell you. In my magic magnetic Interstate world, I can store it on soooo many interesting vertical surfaces. It's a total road fashion statement as well as a safety device.

If your Interstate's water pump or turbo hose craps out on you, and you have to pull over to the side of the freeway during dusk or dark hours, slap this tiny magnetic sucker on your rear end and turn it on for safety.

Let me tell you, if I saw the likes of this piercing the darkness in front of me, it would scare the bejeezus clean out of me. It's like Area 51 fit into a very compact size, LOL.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:50 PM   #1407
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Ahhhh, the luxury of the Vitrifrigo...

I finally found an organizer for its generous freezer. I had to drive the rig to Container Store, buy about $70 worth of various storage items, test fit all of them, pick the one that worked best (which was $13), and then go back in and get the refund on the rest.

The neat thing about this is that I can pack it to the brim inside our house and then just carry it out to the van. No more jumble of disorganized crap in that freezer.

When it comes time for the real packing job, it'll be stuffed solid. No Boomerangs remaining in boxes. They need to be Foodsaver'd like everything else. And Amy's burritos jam packed in that one compartment. I have to have burritos and they are not available in eastern Canada. And many froozers. Have to have froozers. They have NO added sugar, you know. I don't care what they cost. It's the principle of the thing.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:56 PM   #1408
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
What a great idea. Ours is so small that we only use it for ice cubes...everything else we place in ARB freezer
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:08 PM   #1409
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
What a great idea. Ours is so small that we only use it for ice cubes...everything else we place in ARB freezer
That freezer sold me on the Vitrifrigo. As soon as I set eyes on it, I was like, "I'm having it. I don't care if the propane fridge works or not."
Old 07-23-2018, 02:42 PM   #1410
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
More utility from the garbage space under the sink

I think it was on this thread that I posted my improvement on the wasted space underneath the paper towel / garbage can area. I had moved the stock paper towel bar to underneath for storing the extra roll, and up above I upgraded to a ratcheting type of paper towel dispense from Bed Bath Beyond. It makes a one handed towel tear easy to do.

Well, I also made use of the wasted space around the garbage can by placing stick-on bumper stops that help secure up to three beverage bottles. I slid them into place under a round bottle, then removed the bottle and pressed them down. They also help keep odd shaped bottles stay in place.

If you are creative, you could also secure a couple of bottles standing up on the shelf where the plumbing apparatus lives.

Cheers !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Paper Towels Dual Roll.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	317873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottles in place.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	317874  

Name:	Bottle bumbersJPG.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	317875  
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:12 PM   #1411
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoungca View Post
I live south of you and am driving up to San Francisco in a few weeks. If they are still available I'd be happy to stop by. Thanks, Roger
Roger, I'm still holding on to these towel bars for you. I am leaving on a month long vacation on 9/19

Bill
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:45 PM   #1412
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Compact toothbrush

I have been carrying a rechargable toothbrush and charger in the AI. At Fry's, the other day, I stumbled across this USB powered toothbrush that is about as small as a brush can be. I can get rid of the charger and this one is about 1/3 the size of my present one.

They claim 15 2-minute uses with one charge. It even has 2 modes of cleaning (sensitive and normal) and a massage mode and turns itself off after 2 minutes.

I'll get to try it this week on our first fall rally.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180831_183400.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	321245  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:57 PM   #1413
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
Roger, I'm still holding on to these towel bars for you. I am leaving on a month long vacation on 9/19

Bill
This style of towel bar is a versatile addition to our AI. We can move them to any top cabinet door and when the door is open, they do not hit the ceiling!
We even use them as anchors for our travel clothesline.

The clothesline takes up little space and stores in a compact bag. It's made of surgical rubber which allows it to stretch. We use large safety pins but you can just attach your clothes to the line right through the rubber braiding.

Chrome Towel bars
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Travel Laundry Clothesline
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5712.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	321305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5714.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	321306  

Name:	IMG_5713.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	321307   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5715.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	321308  

Old 09-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #1414
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I've got multiple more projects planned following my 5-week trip that just concluded.

I had a gap in employment work projects and as a result of that, I ended up leaving Houston in a chaotic, unplanned manner ahead of my originally-intended date. I deserve Guinness Book consideration for the degree to which I over-packed, not having time to think the trip through in the final prep stages. I can't tell you how many times we essentially had to gut the van in order to locate One Small Thing that we needed to fish out. And that still held true given the remarkable number of organizational features that I've already added to the van.

I'm considering a flat item storage area along this otherwise-featureless outer wet bath wall. Right now I just have a gift from my father in that spot, a decorative canoe paddle which says, "I Survived S*** Creek" which he gave me after my first solo cross-country drive, LOL.

Because we are working in the bush, we've got a large number of tools (machete, hatchet, multiple knives, general tools, etc.). They tend to end up individually on the floor under the couch where they get pushed this way and that way, and then we have to dig for them. If I could come up with an un-cluttered-looking vertical storage solution, it might be mountable here. None of the items in question exceeds an inch in thickness.

Anyone do anything along those lines? Ideas?

Old 09-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #1415
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Tho a clever idea, I think by the time you have an organizer mounted there, and your tools you want to organize, you will have intruded into that narrow galley area more than you might think.

Every time you come in and out, there they will be.

And, you may begin to look less like a luxury mini motorhome and more like a traveling toolbox/contractor van, but if that’s the look you want...

Have you considered a small canvas tool bag, perhaps in black, that can hold those items in one place while blending into the interior enough to not be highly conspicuous?

Thata what I would do, FWIW.

Maggie
Old 09-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #1416
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I was envisioning something such as a single unbroken expanse of Kydex, molded to my various items and forming a thin sculpture, a wall-skimming work of art of the subtlest relief and minimalist sophistication.

I'm only half joking. There are Kydex DIY tutorials on the internet. People are making impressive tool holsters out of it using ratty old toaster ovens and home-made molds.

I have the Lagun table hung on the front side of the wet bath door. We tend not to run into it. This that I am envisioning would be thinner than that.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #1417
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It’s your Interstate, and the only people it needs to please are you and your husband.

Maggie
Old 09-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #1418
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
We are thinking of a little slide out (similar to a slide out pantry, but very thin) where the TV is in the back. We would then reattach the TV, etc. to the new wall.

I have also seen a panty attached to a bathroom door in a LazyDaze Class C. While, if doing for me, I wouldn't make it this thick nor this design aesthetic for the Interstate, it did spark some ideas on use of vertical space should we need it some day. http://www.andybaird.com/travels/gertie/pantry.htm
Andy stopped posting in 2014, but his website was one of the first I saw on full timing in a small motorhome.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:35 PM   #1419
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I'm considering a flat item storage area along this otherwise-featureless outer wet bath wall. Right now I just have a gift from my father in that spot, a decorative canoe paddle which says, "I Survived S*** Creek" which he gave me after my first solo cross-country drive, LOL.

Because we are working in the bush, we've got a large number of tools (machete, hatchet, multiple knives, general tools, etc.). They tend to end up individually on the floor under the couch where they get pushed this way and that way, and then we have to dig for them. If I could come up with an un-cluttered-looking vertical storage solution, it might be mountable here.
INTERBLOG - that interior pic is very nice, clean, unclutterred. You call it featureless but your father's gift IS the feature (I can envision how it looks from your description). It may detract a bit from the clean lines, but I imagine it is an appropriate personal touch for that space, well worth sacrificing the space & clean lines because of who gave it to you & what it commemorates.

Instead, you want to displace your father's gift and put up a machete, hatchet, knives, and presumably other metallic tools up high on an open wall inside a moving vehicle? One word - projectile. For safety's sake, consider buying a big tool case & place in the lowest part of van, preferably secured under bed, cabinet, etc. Construction/destruction tools are not what I would (IMHO) consider in decorative harmony with a luxury AI interior.

Of course, this is your own rv and your own personal space and as such, your decor/equipment should be configured to best suit your needs. Our rigs are a direct extension of our personality and taste, so as long as it makes you happy, I would say go for it
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #1420
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The best, and often not utilized, vertical space is at the rear.

I installed a 12" wide 12" deep shelf under the original upper rear cabinet. My rolled 8' x 12' patio mat and my rolled up folding table are at each side held vertical by straps.

I quit using the unnecessarily bulky original Airstream cab window covers and use easily rolled custom reflective covers instead.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote