Old 08-18-2016, 10:34 PM   #967
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Joe View Post
The one thing I do want to look into is a small strongbox that can be bolted down. ... If anyone has a better idea, let me know. There are bigger safes, but the trick is to find something that is compact, but yet secure enough.
Pacsafe Travelsafe. Different concept than a fixed hard safe, but potentially nearly as effective in a smash and grab scenario, and one heck of a lot easier to conceal.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:36 AM   #968
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
One of the ladies on the recent Wyoming trip had two of these type buckets, collapsible silicone, which she set on a small table by her outside Interstate shower and used for dishes.

I need one as a small utility bucket , and found this little baby on eBay for about $6.

And, they come in pretty colors.

This one ships from China, so I think I will go with a different shipper, but they are all pretty much the same, and some are offered in more than one size.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	270045  

Old 08-30-2016, 05:23 PM   #969
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Nice one. I've got a Camco collapsible bucket and it holds water well but it doesn't stand up by itself unless it is almost full. Very difficult to purge my dump hose with it (if there's no water hose in proximity to the dump station), because it really would take three hands - one to hold the stinky slinky and the other two to hold the bucket in an un-collapsed shape.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:00 PM   #970
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
T1N Interstate owners...

Have you ever wondered why on earth you have 3 different styles of lighting fixtures in the space of about 3 feet? Recessed mini-cans, swiveling spotlights, and plastic compact fluorescents all thrown together?

I don't know the answer either, but after 17 nights of staring up at the original fluorescents on our recent Canada trip, I said enough is enough. Those things never did match the rest of the Interstate design aesthetic, and now ours are turning yellow with age to boot. So I designed this low-profile suspended shelf to take their place. Once I get both shelves installed (one on each side), it'll capture this wasted space and provide an additional 4.5 square feet of surface area. There's always the challenge of where to "set stuff down" in the Interstate. This partly addresses that, at least for small items.

I haven't finished the blog post yet but here's a pic of one of the shelves (holding 2 books, 1 travel diary, my favorite Smartwool sweater, a pencil bundle, and an iPad). It's the same perforated aluminum sheet that I used for my computer table. It is intentionally shallow so that it will not impinge upon headroom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shelf-before-after.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	270907  
Old 09-05-2016, 04:33 PM   #971
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
San Diego , California
I love your idea for our T1N! I would repurpose the 12v power to charge my phone at night rather than have a 10 ft cable run from the power outlet over the counter. Thank you!
Old 09-05-2016, 04:54 PM   #972
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbray333 View Post
I love your idea for our T1N! I would repurpose the 12v power to charge my phone at night rather than have a 10 ft cable run from the power outlet over the counter. Thank you!
For the moment, we took our original fixture wiring, trimmed it, TRIPLE-shrink-wrapped it for safety (it's still live), and inserted it back into the same conduit for future reference.

We may, in fact, use that line for some other modification... I'm not sure what, but I'm sure it will come to me eventually.

But for now, it's safely stowed.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:47 PM   #973
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Here's the blog post with hardware sourcing and instructions:

UNDER CABINET SHELVING FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Old 09-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #974
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St Augustine , Florida
Great Thread
Old 10-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #975
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Out of curiosity, I coughed up eleven bucks to see what all the hype was about regarding Luci lights. The one I bought was the EMRG, which can be set to flash an emergency (SOS) signal if desired, instead of a solid white light. They are inflatable, so they pack almost flat.

Verdict: Worth the eleven bucks. The biggest advantage is that it weighs basically nothing, and thus with the addition of a small Gear Tie, can be hung absolutely everywhere, which is not true of other compact lanterns. By the same token, no harm done if they get knocked on the floor. The solar charging seems to work quite well despite the unlikely configuration (the handle blocks part of the solar cells, which must reduce their efficiency to some degree).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-IMG_7514.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	274339  
Old 10-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #976
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Back around page 67 of this thread, several people talked about carpet / mat runners for the center aisle of the Interstate. Here below is a repost of my pic so you don't have to dig.

If you haven't gotten one of these yet and you travel with a dog, I strongly advise that you do so. The reason is that, when your dog becomes unexpectedly car sick, the long mat will help absorb the liquid fraction of the vomit, thus preventing those acid stomach fluids from penetrating the seam between the floor vinyl and the bottom of your cabinetry and potentially wicking up into your cabinetry where you cannot reach to clean.

But, you say, "My dog NEVER gets car sick so I don't have to worry about that scenario." Well, neither did mine for the first 6.5 years of her life. For reasons known only to her, she made her big barfing debut on Tuesday. I'd had her to a very popular San Antonio restaurant 48 hours previous, a patio dining area where countless dogs frequent, as the place is proactively "dog friendly". It is possible that she picked up a canine virus there.

Anyway I was driving solo and she puked so many times that it was impossible for me to keep up with it. I got the worst of it up with paper towels, but the mat helped absorb some of it and kept it from spreading even further. I thought the mat would be ruined, but it washed up really well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	carpet_runner.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	274341  
Old 11-15-2016, 07:00 PM   #977
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
I saw in your picture of the red ottoman, that both of your 2nd row captain's chairs are removed. Did you do that yourself?
Can you re-attach them fairy easily?
Thanks!
Old 11-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #978
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
For the moment, we took our original fixture wiring, trimmed it, TRIPLE-shrink-wrapped it for safety (it's still live), and inserted it back into the same conduit for future reference.

We may, in fact, use that line for some other modification... I'm not sure what, but I'm sure it will come to me eventually.
Answer to "it will come to me eventually": Cell booster such as weBoost. There's a good chance that's what I'll wire up to one of the now-open 12V lines. I'm not done with research yet but I'm currently leaning in that direction as one component of an improved connectivity solution. weBoost requires antenna proximity, and the open lines are right over the rear couch / table area, so it could work out well.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #979
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Pet water dish

From reading this thread I see that several of us AI owners have pets that share our small living & traveling space! We've found a spill proof water dish that is compact and one that our boxer can access anytime he's thirsty. Prior to getting this, he only got water when we pulled off of the road for rest / potty breaks.
We bought it on Amazon, here's the link; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	water bowl.png
Views:	56
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	275568  
Old 11-18-2016, 06:49 AM   #980
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That looks handy.

I keep a thrice-folded handtowel under Lily's water bowl, to catch slops whilst driving.

Maggie