Old 06-19-2016, 03:57 PM   #953
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think that when you're in that kind of heat, ya just gotta do whatever works.

Speaking of windshield bras....I have that traditional, off white colored canvas type one...tho it's not canvas, but some kind of polyester fabric.

I put it in my front loading washing machine again last week, probably for the second or third time in its 8 years or so of life, and it cleans up pretty darn well.

Put it in with some towels and other light colored things, in warm water.

If you get good rain, then good sunshine, these don't really need to be washed.

But, two weeks at the beach last winter took its toll, and the cover looked pretty grungy.

Not so any longer.

Just letting you know....they can be washed.

Maggie

Old 06-19-2016, 06:56 PM   #954
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
For reference, it's 108 here, and we just got visited by a mother raccoon and three pups looking for avocados.

Guess guacamole is on their menu. My dogs went berserk, but could not reach them, thank god.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:41 PM   #955
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
For reference, it's 108 here, and we just got visited by a mother raccoon and three pups looking for avocados.

Guess guacamole is on their menu. My dogs went berserk, but could not reach them, thank god.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
Apparently when they named it Corona, they meant corona of the sun itself.

We "only" made it to 97 degrees this weekend, but of course we have the humidity that makes it feel like 108.

Phoenix is laughing at both of us. An inbound flight from Houston had to turn back today on final approach to Sky Harbor because it's not legal to land or take off planes once the temp hits 120. So sayeth the news.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:59 AM   #956
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Of potential interest to the ladies here.

What's the old adage - good, cheap, fast - pick two? In this case, you might get all three. Kohl's has these "wicking" work-out T-shirts on sale for about ten bucks apiece this week. They meet all of my Interstate traveling clothes criteria:

(1) Conservative style with good body coverage (as a fifty-something woman, I don't want to look like a teeny-bopper or hippie chick)
(2) Many colors so I don't feel like I'm wearing the same thing every day
(3) They seem to hold up well in the laundry
(4) Quick drying so I can wash by hand and hang dry while on the road
(5) Thin, slippery fabric such that I can pull a Smartwool sweater over them without fighting friction
(6) Light-weight fabric such that I can roll them up and fit THREE of them into a single tube of the small-space clothing storage system I designed for our Interstate.

We go through A LOT of shirts in our climate. I ran errands this morning and by 9 a.m., it was already 88 degrees and I was already changing into my second shirt of the day because the first one was soaked. There are some superb wicking brands out there (Under Armour is one of my favorites) but they are priced so high that I don't feel like I can be buying five at a time, which is what I did with these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160716_TEK-GEAR-SHIRTS.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	266956  
Old 07-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #957
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Kohls has decent clothing at good prices, also great sales and coupon discounts.

Those roll up and store so nicely in your cubbies, too.

Maggie
Old 07-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #958
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
For those of you who may need to store linear elements in a small space, the Big Orange Retail Giant (BORG) sells this 6 inch PVC riser for about nine bucks. I affixed it to our closet wall using the 3M outdoor adhesive tape. Conveniently, the PVC is also the exact same shade of white as the closet, so it almost looks like a built-in. We use our closet in various ways so I have added very little in terms of permanent fixtures, but the main thing right now is that I don't impinge on the closet's long axis because that's where my mobile office needs to fit, when I need to take it, and this PVC tube stays out of that main area footprint.

The PVC is shown here holding two pairs of trekking poles plus the two legs for my new computer table - six linear pieces that would otherwise have a tendency to rattle around. Might also be good for holding fishing poles, flag poles, rolled-up items, or anything else that is linear and difficult to store in an Interstate.

Depending on what you store and how tall it is, you may want to chop the PVC down slightly from two feet so that you can clear the upper shelf of the closet as you are adding and removing your items. I may do that eventually, but we may raise this closet floor to accommodate our pending lithium battery system, and I don't want to cut the PVC until I see the final closet configuration.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-IMG_5457.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	266982  
Old 07-21-2016, 11:22 AM   #959
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
FYI, I stumbled upon this set of food storage containers in Sam's Club this morning and took a $24 gamble on them. We don't use plastic in our stick house (only glass), and everything I've tried to date in the Interstate has been a pain (no glass in the Interstate!). These are thin, light, and they nest extensively when empty, including the lids. They have tab clasps which make opening and closing easier. I had bought some Bisphenol-A-free containers from REI but they are really stiff and almost impossible to open, especially with frozen food in them. I almost have to stand on them to snap the lids in place. Plus they are not see-thru. So I'm going to try these.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-IMG_5651.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	267419  
Old 08-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #960
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Yesterday I put this cargo net http://goo.gl/KCEFuH up on the fabric over the driver's and passenger's seats. It is holding our 4 pillows while traveling. When camping, it can hold much, much more. Inspired by Interblog's use of the screws for Velcro, I put D rings http://goo.gl/jtqohZ on the screws and the cargo net hooks in those and the sun visors. This has given me back half of the over-sofa cabinet.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:31 PM   #961
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
Knotdonne,
Please post a photo or two of how your nets appear after installation.
Marty
Old 08-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #962
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
I'm having trouble uploading. Says files too big. Could I email you? Here is link to shared folder on Google photos:

Old 08-02-2016, 07:23 AM   #963
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
It worked! https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/qJ...Q=w870-h652-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/fq...0=w489-h652-no

The pole next to it is spring tension rod with mosquito netting on it. I realize it is not attractive, but the space is very welcome as we have ongoing issues with figuring out the right bedding and where to put it.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:47 AM   #964
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would have trouble with the pillows over my head like that, tho it is a clever use of space.

Unifreck on here does something similar, and has lots of stashing solutions all over their Interstate.

I put two bed pillows in this removable pillow cover, which I found in a set of two on clearance at BB&BY.

Provides a comfy back rest for reading, and has them out of the way during the day.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	268159  
Old 08-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #965
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
I would have trouble with the pillows over my head like that, tho it is a clever use of space.

Yes, when first put it up, it hung too low. This net came with lots of hooks, though, and I just moved them to a different grid to tighten it up. It passed the "Ed" test, both when he's driving or riding. He can't stand anything in his peripheral vision.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #966
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Key Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
I love those Formotion clocks. Those are definitely something I would consider getting.
The one thing I do want to look into is a small strongbox that can be bolted down. ... If anyone has a better idea, let me know. There are bigger safes, but the trick is to find something that is compact, but yet secure enough.

We installed this, bolted to the rear drivers side floor just inside the cargo door -- holds two MacBooks and more.... [URL="https://www.stack-on.com/categories/security-safes--2/products/323"] Can be bought on Amazon.

Bolted to the floor - checked w/Airstream first to confirm hex screws would not penetrate anything below wood floor or cab floor.

We love it.