Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #1341
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I leave eggs in their cartons, which I cut back as I use the eggs, and that has worked pretty well.
I do that occasionally, but the problem, as always, is the intense humidity in the deep south. The pulp cartons tend to get soggy and disintegrate. I've had the danged things collapse on the counter in front of me.

Those of us who grew up with yard birds know that, left to their own healthy devices, chickens lay quite a variety of eggs. The monoculture of eggs in the consumer market derives entirely from industrial agricultural practices - factory farms with 125,000 laying hens and machine sorting and such. If I buy from sources that I believe are a bit more humane, I know that I'm going to get big eggs, small eggs, brown eggs, white eggs, round eggs, oblong eggs,...
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #1342
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Maybe beg a few styrofoam containers from someone who buys eggs in them.

Maggie
Old 03-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #1343
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Maybe beg a few styrofoam containers from someone who buys eggs in them.

Maggie
RECYCLE a few styrofoam containers....

Always a good idea!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #1344
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes...begging from someone else would be recycling.

Maggie
Old 03-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #1345
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This idea for vertical storage/organization was in my Mother Earth Newsletter this morning...what a great idea for those pesky boxes of wax paper, plastic wrap, foil, etc.

I store mine under the pull out drawers in my galley, but one of these magazine store-ers would be perfect for them maintenance on the inside of a lower cabinet or door.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2018, 10:20 AM   #1346
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Seattle , Washington
This is bigger than what you're looking for, but it's the only one I've found that does actually hold x-large eggs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
FarFetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #1347
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
I had been looking for some space efficient way to store toilet paper in bathroom (obviously not a wet bath) and had been looking for a holder to go behind the toilet on the floor. I happened to have purchased more than one paper towel holders and rather than hassle with returning it am using it as a toilet roll holder. Perfect for the space.
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #1348
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That’s a great idea.

I store toilet paper and paper towels in the odd little cabinet under the frig in the galley area...their soft, squish factor make them very adaptable for this area.

Maggie
Old 03-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #1349
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I’ll second the couglins yellow egg container. I don’t use mutant large eggs but these seem to work well for extra large organic we buy. They have three plastic tabs in the bottom that compress with larger eggs. Have you tried these? Link below.

Also have a friend that takes silicone baking Cups, for cupcakes and lines the paper cartons with them for more robustness. Works for him, but I don’t like the extra work or pieces. The yellow is m choice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000E...NcL&ref=plSrch
Old 03-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #1350
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
I’ll second the couglins yellow egg container. I don’t use mutant large eggs but these seem to work well for extra large organic we buy. They have three plastic tabs in the bottom that compress with larger eggs. Have you tried these? Link below.

I have that one, only in green.

Maybe they produced different size lots at different times or something. Here's a review from the REI site:

"Not only is the Egg Holder too small for USA supermarket eggs, it is too small even for the eggs we bought in little towns in Mexico, Central America, the Galapagos, and French Polynesia. We even tried alternating pointy end up, pointy end down, but they just wouldn't fit."
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:36 PM   #1351
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I have that one, only in green.

Maybe they produced different size lots at different times or something. Here's a review from the REI site:

"Not only is the Egg Holder too small for USA supermarket eggs, it is too small even for the eggs we bought in little towns in Mexico, Central America, the Galapagos, and French Polynesia. We even tried alternating pointy end up, pointy end down, but they just wouldn't fit."
Strange... the last eggs we bought (those on the photos I posted) were big... no issues when I placed them in the carrier...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #1352
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Texas

Everything is bigger in Texas... just saying.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #1353
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The containers may have been produced at plants in different countries....manufacturing differences could account for the varying sizes.

Kind of like when you order the same item of clothing in two different colors, one fits and the other doesn’t, the labels tell you they were manufactured in different countries.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2018, 05:43 AM   #1354
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I came across these this morning...

I couldn’t see driving with these filled and hanging on the wall, but while parked they would be a great space saver.

Or, used in the closet or anywhere else for great use of vertical storage.

https://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Han...X7VVW5HJ8DVGTJ

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #1355
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I love those Maggie.

I too would probably take them down for travel. I think I will put them on my Amazon list. That reminded me that I need to look for those great big tea diffusers.

A blogger named Monica who did a Blog called "Just five more Minutes" (and popped into the forums on ocassions) is discontinuing her Airstream travel due to her husband's health concerns.

She had absolutely beautiful pictures of her organized Airstream and her organized kitchen. I will miss her kitchen pictures. These little bags are something I could have pictured hanging in her trailer also.

So fun to look at.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:55 PM   #1356
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
One picture showed plastic bags in one of these, and I can think of all manner of soft things they could be used for...on the walls, in the bathroom, or in the closet.

Pretty clever.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2018, 07:08 PM   #1357
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
Or, used in the closet or anywhere else for great use of vertical storage.
. . .

Not sure about putting the garlic one in the closet . . .

Seriously they look very handy!

Thanks.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:50 AM   #1358
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The idea being that these expandable, soft, hanging storage items could be used for things other than the potatoes, onion and garlic shown here, Peter...many things would be suitable for a closet.

I’m thinking things like cotton balls, plastic bags, Tide Pods, cleaning rags, underwear , socks, etc.

Maggie
Old 04-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #1359
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
I happened across this item on WalMart’s website, substantially discounted , and have ordered it for the Interstate.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Over-the-...of-2/855461493

I am going to take off the over-the-door hooks it comes with, and use those two holes at the top with those high-octane suction cup hooks to put this on an inner wall in my little bathroom.

I will rig something to secure this to the wall at the bottom corners, as well, lest the rocking and moving of travel dislodge the contents onto the floor.

Although my Interstate model has a tiny medicine cabinet over the toilet, there is basically no storage to speak of in the bathroom, and this would be an excellent way to store and carry lightweight, bathroom-type items.

And...it’s girly and pretty. Being an all-girl traveling band these days , girly and pretty is good, but these kinds of things are also available in solid and more gender-neutral colors.

I was looking for a link toma very inexpensive something I picked up the other day in this department at WalMart, but couldn’t find it...a 2-pack of small, soft, mesh storage bags, which will be perfect for some further organizing in cabinets.

They stand upright, tho have the necessary squish factor that is so helpful in small spaces, and are made of something similar to the waffle-ey shelf liner you can find anywhere and what the tote shown is made of.

I have a smaller, similar tote I have used in the under-galley area, that holds cleaning supplies.

I intend to use them in the kitchen.

Maggie
I mounted this on the wall behind the toilet, with two of those large, heavy duty, meant-for-Xmas-wreaths silicone suction cup hooks, and it fit perfectly...landing at the bottom behind the back of the toilet, which will reduce in-transit movement.

Medicine cabinet and toiletry type supplies are now in there, and there are lots of empty pockets for which I will be sure to eventually find a use.

I used the little silicone mesh bags (fuschia ) I mentioned here under the sink in the galley, where at least we older models have an odd storage space that also houses some hoses and the water pump.

Cleaning supplies fit snugly in these, and these square bags take up negligible space of their own and hold the same items as the bulkier, handled, compartmented ones I have been using for several years.

I love anything in the Interstate that squishes and takes up only the space of what’s in it.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	574AB4BB-AB2F-41E5-8B83-25003D40C754.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	309369  
Old 04-23-2018, 10:14 AM   #1360
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
The idea being that these expandable, soft, hanging storage items could be used for things other than the potatoes, onion and garlic shown here, Peter...many things would be suitable for a closet.
. . .
. . . which is why I said "Seriously" after the [apparently unsuccessful] attempt to joke about garlic in the closet.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote