Old 05-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #939
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Gloria, you can buy a no-slip tape for rugs at WalMart, that you tape to the floor and is sticky on both sides, which holds things in place pretty well.

Maggie

Old 05-10-2016, 07:52 AM   #940
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tega Cay , South Carolina
Good idea Maggie. Will check it out
Gloria

Old 05-14-2016, 07:34 AM   #941
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Today in the "First World Problems" category, I'd like to solicit opinions on what type of salt, pepper, seasoning, and spice dispenser(s) folks have found useful and functional in a very small space.

I'm on my fourth or fifth candidate and I'm not happy with any of them. Grains of uncooked rice are no match for Gulf Coast humidity, so whatever device I use must be air tight. I'm not really looking for multiple containers because of the space issues - I'd like an all-in-one if a good one exists. At one point, I had been using multiple tiny Nalgene bottles but then I had multiple bottles scattered about.

In the photo below, the Coghlan's is perfect design-wise but the little white flip-up lids are not moisture-proof so that's not going to work long term. I take it in the Interstate but I have to wrap it in multiple layers of plastic to keep the moisture out and then it's a pain to unwrap and re-wrap during every use.

The GSI Outdoors is advertised as being moisture-proof and it probably is (I just bought it). However it unscrews into multiple small pieces which is an inefficiency on par with unwrapping the Coghlan's from plastic baggies. Plus I know I will eventually misplace a segment of it like I used to lose track of the individual Nalgenes.

Suggestions are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160514_SPICE_OPTIONS.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	262504  
Old 05-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #942
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have small, hand squeeze salt & pepper mills that I found online that have worked very well, and are held together by powerful magnets.

They are clear acrylic, and I have had no problem with salt clumping. They fit in our little racks in the galley, too, which is where I keep mine.

I have spices and herbs in airtight, purpose made containers, some metal with labels and others in little plastics from the Container Store.

I have kept extra salt, peppercorns, some sugar, etc., in these same containers for years, without humidity invading...nor ants.

If you have a World Market near you, they have tightly sealed, decorative spice jars. You can also order from them online.

Ziploc bags seal things from the elements well, too.

Maggie
Old 05-15-2016, 11:27 AM   #943
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
You could put the Coghlan's container in a lager plastic jar with some of those little moisture absorbing packets that seem to come in everything these day... I live on the Oregon coast... we do moisture!!! I keep everyone that I get for uses such as that... good luck...
gail
Old 05-15-2016, 12:05 PM   #944
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
I have the same problem and was doing a bit a searching. I came across this website, and this shaker looks promising.

http://www.kitchenworksinc.com/Old-F...FUWTfgodvaEKFw

I've never heard of this website, never ordered from them before, but I might be willing to take a chance on this product.
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:29 PM   #945
RivetingTravels

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 30' International
Richmond , Virginia
Maybe try those Tupperware-Hourglass-Pepper-Shakers that were prevalent in the 70s?

WBCCI 22386 | SKP 111234 | Follow Us!
BlogFacebookTwitterInstagram
RivetingTrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #946
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Small space, large surface area to volume ratio, massive heat gain potential. I created a nylon shroud to cover the black mask and side windows for when the sun is unavoidably broad-siding the parked Interstate on the hottest days of the year (which are upon us now). Details in the blog post.

SIDE WINDOW SHROUD FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-IMG_4579.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	264373  
Old 06-13-2016, 10:59 AM   #947
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Small space, large surface area to volume ratio, massive heat gain potential. I created a nylon shroud to cover the black mask and side windows for when the sun is unavoidably broad-siding the parked Interstate on the hottest days of the year (which are upon us now). Details in the blog post.

SIDE WINDOW SHROUD FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE

That looks like a great idea - thanks for sharing.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #948
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
That looks like a great idea - thanks for sharing.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Oh, I forgot to mention one of my motivations - the posters who revealed on other threads that there is no insulation behind the wet bath. We have the style windows extending the full distance down both sides of our Interstate even where no windows actually look out on anything because it's a solid structure behind them... I think all Interstates were built that way regardless of lay-out. So there's a window over the wet bath even though the purpose is only decorative.

Anyway, of course I noticed that the wet bath is an inferno-within-an-inferno in hot weather, but I never joined the dots until someone lamented the lack of insulation. So I wanted to experiment with an outer reflective covering because if that helps the situation, it's a whole boat-load less work than hauling out the wet bath structure and insulating behind it. So my experiments now begin.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #949
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I saw this product in Michael's craft store the other day and thought it was pretty cool... little state stickers in case someone wanted to do their own crafty project commemorating where they have traveled.

A couple of manufacturers make state sticker maps for RVs but they can be large - one of the popular ones on Amazon is 20 inches across and 14 inches deep. That's more Class A size than Interstate size, I think.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160615_MICHAELS.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	264508  
Old 06-15-2016, 09:35 AM   #950
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's pretty cute, and I like them better than the map I have.

I have it on the bathroom door, as that is really the only place it fits.

Maggie
Old 06-15-2016, 09:49 AM   #951
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I saw a small map that used crystals to bedazzle - looking for one of those if anyone comes across them
Old 06-19-2016, 03:49 PM   #952
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quite by accident, I found some metallized fabric on clearance and so I sewed an overlay on top of my original polyester shroud. It certainly looks better - a much closer match to the metallized windshield bra. And it doesn't add too much mass - now it's about the size of two ham sandwiches.

You can see that this was not high-dollar fabric - there are some tension irregularities in the weave. It cost me $13 for this piece, to try this experiment. Not sure how it will stand up to use, but it seems surprisingly strong for being so light weight.

Oh my word, it's hot here now. I set my iPhone down long enough to place the shroud on the side of the vehicle and in that short amount of time, the phone became so hot I could barely pick it back up again. We had an unusually cool spring and early summer so we're not used to this, our typical mid-summer hell on earth.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-IMG_4762 (1).JPG
Views:	119
Size:	307.8 KB
ID:	264773