Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2017, 10:13 PM   #1281
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
I did a quick look, my 2006 Interstate is just the same.
Might be some sort of breather/drain.

My generator works fine.
Mark
Agree. I looked at parts manual but this hose was not shown. There are two possible breather/vent tubes on these generators. One as a breather tube for the OH valve cover. The other is a vent tube from the LP regulator/mixer on the engine near the carburetor. The are all shown as terminating inside the cover, but one of these hoses may have been extended outside the case/cover.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:58 PM   #1282
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Small Space Living

If you look at InterBlog's recent post #17 on the "Interstate coach battery access" thread you will see a clear photo of her same vintage Onan generator and this same vent tube.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89849
Old 08-19-2017, 02:21 PM   #1283
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Breather Tube

Took a closer look today at the part manuals for both new and old Onan LP generators used in Interstate/Parkway models. That tube on outside of generators on the older units is definitely the breather tube from the valve cover. It is crankcase ventilation that was eliminated on newer generators, no doubt to meet later emissions requirements. The newer generators have a crankcase vent tube that sends breather air, which has some oil and combustion residue, back into the intake via the air cleaner base where it re-enters the combustion process to get burned off like most modern engines.

A bit more trivia: the older generators had an Over Head Valve (OHV) engine with push rods, likely an Onan design; the new generators have a Robin Subaru Over Head Cam (OHC) engine.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #1284
DotPaul

2006 22' Parkway
Rochester , Minnesota
Generator breather tub

My THANKS to all for the very helpful responses. I bought this Parkway model this past April and sadly it is lacking most of the helpful books, manuals, and other reference material. I found most things on-line but was stumped by the breather tube.
Paul708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:45 AM   #1285
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Storing 3" memory foam mattress

Like many of you, we added a memory foam mattress. Our jack knife chairs have a hard side bolster that sticks up and makes sleeping difficult so we went with 3" memory foam, queen size and very heavy. Putting the darn thing away in the rear overhead locker was a real chore so we slit the mattress down the middle and found these nifty oversize storage sacks at REI. Now the hard part is getting each half mattress rolled up with enough compression to get the sack around them, but once it's done they stow nicely with room to spare.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5306.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	293491   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5305.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	293492  

Name:	IMG_5304.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	293493  
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:34 PM   #1286
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Of all the small space gizmos I bought for my big boondocking trip, my favorite thus far is the Kelly Kettle. It Has One Job - to boil water - and it does that very well. I had clothing, dishes and my hair washed in record time using it this afternoon. It heats water far faster than either the little SMEV stove or the onboard water heater, for which I don't need that kind of gallonage every time anyway.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:59 PM   #1287
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Using the Airstream window shades

In the morning I like to let light into the cockpit. The stock window shades have ribbons that you trap in the raised window at night. If I choose to remove them I'd have to turn on the ignition key and listen to loud beeping that would wake my wife.

So I put a knot into the ribbon that hangs down and I can swing the shade up out of the way and slip it in between the overhead plastic shelf and the fuzzy surface at the center. The pics should illustrate what I mean.

Works great !

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5276.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	293536   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5277.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	293537  

Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:33 AM   #1288
DotPaul

2006 22' Parkway
Rochester , Minnesota
Foam mattress - a different approach

We have an older Parkway - 2006. But, it still had those fold-down beds with all the lumps and bumps. We thought about another mattress to layer on top but decided a better idea might be to remove the existing beds and convert them to two twin beds. These two pictures show the results. We now have walking space between, plus two standard futon mattresses. BTW the bolsters came straight from the Amazon site - not custom made.

The top now hinges up so we have access to all the storage space underneath without worrying about cables and boxes. I re-used the old frames so the entire project took about one day.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bed Conv 1.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	293559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed Conv 2.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	293560  

Old 08-30-2017, 09:35 AM   #1289
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul708 View Post
a better idea might be to remove the existing beds and convert them to two twin beds. These two pictures show the results. We now have walking space between.
After two trips in my 2014.5, I came to the same conclusion and converted to twins. I cut down foam mattresses to Airstream size.

Much nicer to always have walking space to the rear cabinets, a mattress that doesn't have lumps and bumps in it, no need to crawl down over the foot of the bed, and to not disturb my DW when I get up at night.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:39 PM   #1290
DotPaul

2006 22' Parkway
Rochester , Minnesota
Correct pictures of twin bed conversion

Sorry... often when transferring photos from iPhone to Windows the pictures get rotated. Here's the correct view
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bed Conv 1.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	293593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bed Conv 2.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	293594  

Old 09-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #1291
1 Rivet Member

Downing , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Stuff for tent camping can also be useful. If it's small enough to go in a backpack, it's small enough to go in an overhead locker in an Interstate.

Some of my gear was obtained for tent camping back before I got foot surgery, and before backpacking became my personal version of the Bataan Death March.

One item in particular is still available, the Coleman All-N-1 dining set:
Coleman All-N-1 Dining Set: Camping : Walmart.com.
The plates and shalllow bowls snap together to hold leftovers, with one serving as a lid for the other. The storage container itself works as a mixing bowl, too, and has a cover that snaps on. Best of all, with everything snapped into the storage container, it doesn't rattle!

Come to think of it, the whole set may be small enough to fit in the galley sink with the cover down. If so, the galley sink could hold my dishes in transit, and free up some more locker space for non-perishable groceries. I'll have to check on that when I get home.

Another thing that I use in my Interstate, one that might surprise some people, a 12vDC refirgerator that plugs into a cigarette lighter outlet and holds twelve 12oz. cans or six 20oz. bottles of my favorite carbonated diet beverage. As a solo traveler, I can't reach the Nova Kool refrigerator while I'm driving, so a small refrigerator in between the front seats is handy for storing sodas on a long drive. Then, at my destination, I move it outside, plug it into the external 12v outlet at curbside rear, and keep drinks cold next to my lawn chair under the awning.
Thanks, just ordered the "Coleman All N 1 dining set" , need to outfit that new rv.
choptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:09 PM   #1292
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Added magnetic boards

I covered the space between windows, behind the galley sink, with a brushed-finish steel sheet. For trim, I used the edging that HD sells that goes with the faux stamped-tin sheets. I attached the edging to the back of the board with a fabric-backed tape. The board is held behind the Corean at the bottom and is held in place by the paper roll holder and one pop-rivet. So far, I have very little on the board. One important thing is my refrigerator thermometer. My changes to the refrigerator obviously are paying off with a temperature of 33 degrees on a warm day.

I had one small piece of the steel sheet left. I edged this piece and mounted it above the second-row DS-side seat. Right now there is only a wine opener there, but I am in the process of gluing magnets on the TV and DVR player remotes to be stored there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Big mag board.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	519.4 KB
ID:	294755   Click image for larger version

Name:	Little mag board.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	294756  

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #1293
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Very nice!

Maggie
Old 09-17-2017, 07:13 AM   #1294
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Cross-post from the lithium thread, because so much of this relates back to small space challenges:

TOP TEN LESSONS FROM AN OFF-GRID MONTH ON THE ROAD
Old 09-18-2017, 07:26 AM   #1295
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
FYI, Brent Rose, who has lived largely in his T1N Sprinter-based Class B for the past two years, published a summary of his most essential van gear, many of which are small space adaptations. You can see his list here.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #1296
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Sea to Summit collapsible pots. ...
Today in the "bummer" category, I rescind my previous recommendation for this product line. You can see from this pic below that I took very good care of this pot, no scorching, no wear. But Sea to Summit had apparently specified the wrong grade of plastic for the lid, and it warped beyond recovery, just from the temperature of steam liberated from boiling water in the pot.

Fortunately I had bought both of the pots at REI which promptly issued a full refund. At this point, I haven't identified a viable alternative. Not a collapsible one, anyway.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #1297
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just my opinion....I would dispense with collapsible cooking pots, in favor of two stainless steel ones, within which one can cook most anything.

Mine are Wearever, I believe, from Walmart, one quart and two quart, and I've had them about 15 years.

Glass lids, with strainers in two sizes as part of the lids, so you don't need a colander for whatever.

They work very well, nest into each other, so take up just a small amount of space.

Maggie
Old 09-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #1298
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We've been tempted by those collapsing pots, but were concerned that it might collapse with boiling food or water in it. I think we'll wait a little longer.

We did get a collapsible drip coffee cone from REI, however, which works great. We brew the coffee directly into a thermos, which sits in the sink during the process, so if there's a mishap with the boiling water or grounds, the clean-up is easy. Then the thermos is kind of a 2-for-1 space-saver, as we want to carry a thermos anyway, but dispense with the need for a separate coffee pot.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #1299
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
The frustrating part is, the silicone sides / metal base are absolutely fine. Not once did I have a concern with collapsing, and I used mine daily, every trip we took. I didn't even stop to consider that the tops might have been constructed improperly until I saw this warping happen.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:45 AM   #1300
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Something our recent trip re-emphasized for me:

DO NOT carry liquid containers that are soft-walled, whether buckets or foldable sinks or anything else. They have an uncanny way of collapsing spontaneously at exactly the wrong moment.

To that end, I'm searching for a semi-rigid, hopefully stiff-collapsible insert for the round Dometic sink, to replace the too-flimsy waterproof fabric camp sink I bought a while back. Does anyone know of a source for a product that comes close to fitting that sink well?

This looks like a close item, but I cannot find a retail source, only wholesale such as Alibaba. I have a similarly-designed rectangular basin and dish-drying board, and they work great.