Old 04-09-2016, 12:03 AM   #897
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Well, thanks for your concerns about my personal safety! Ynefel, I'm concerned about yours. Thankfully the ice didn't come through your windshield.

Our cooking pots consist of one 8" cast iron frying pan, one 8" Le Creuset pot plus lid. We sometimes take along a Dutch oven (8" or 10") for real campfire cooking, but if we do it lives in the truck.

Curiously, our edition of the 19' 2015 Flying Cloud did not come with a microwave-- which is sort of OK, considering that we'd have to sacrifice on storage space to have one.

Interblog, on short trips I do prepare a lot of food at home, to take along. I have a big enough kitchen to work in, and then just pop the food into fridge storage containers or baggies. Plus this way we're enjoying the reason why we went camping in the Great Outdoors to begin with, or lounging about with a glass of wine before dinner, not fussing with food prep.

The problem is that home food prep is good only for short trips. On our latest trip (just back on Monday) we were gone for 8 weeks. I kind of balk at buying prepared foods like supermarket potato salad. It's never as good as home-made and anything heavily packaged and prepared with preservatives and other chemicals isn't normally stuff we want to put into our stomachs.

I did pack a small crock pot on this latest trip. I didn't use it as often as I imagined, but one of its charms was making enough chilli or whatever to have sufficient leftovers for several meals.

At home, I often think of a pasta dish as something I can put together quickly. I'll have to think of whether a bigger pot that mostly lives in the truck is worth it. Possibly so, if it doesn't migrate under and behind the generator, gas can, canoe paddles, biffy box, and the like.

I hadn't thought of cooking in the truck. No sink of counter-space, for one thing. Has anyone plugged in a crock pot in their trailer while traveling? How does it handle bumpy roads?

Old 04-09-2016, 05:56 AM   #898
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynefel View Post
As ex backpackers, we are attracted to the efficiency & compactness of backpacking gear. We'll just see how it does.
It's been many years since I've actually cooked in the backcountry. Jetboil came onto the market more than a decade ago now, and it was a total game-changer. Jetboil coupled with freeze dry quality improvements (Mountain House most notably) made eating out of disposable bags the way to go, considering that most of my backpacking has been in west Texas and Arizona - two locations where every hiker must carry all of their own water. One gallon per person per day gets very heavy, and I never did have actual cookware in my kit because I couldn't afford the weight or space. So I'm way behind the learning curve on what works and what doesn't.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:00 AM   #899
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
My husband doesn't like one pot meals or crock pot meals very much. I use a rice cooker with steamer tray. I can't find my model-it's too old, but here's similar http://goo.gl/S0xyys

It's not good for cooking down the road, but good if have power. The fish or meat and vegetables end up flavoring the rice.

This conversation reminds me of a funny cookbook: http://goo.gl/msr192

Maybe it's worth a try!
Old 04-09-2016, 06:25 AM   #900
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I understand....Doug ate one dish meals because they were simple and quick, and loved crock pot meals because they were almost always meat....pot roast, Swiss steak, meatloaf, etc...cooked on "being still" days in campsites with electricity.

He liked best meals with a protein, a starch, and a vegetable or salad....with nothing touching the other. My Iowa farm boy, a meat and potatoes guy.

You gotta cook what works for you and yours, and we used a small rice steamer/cooker often at home....usually with salmon filets in the steamer tray.

As quick as those little guys cook, when camping without electricity it could be worth running the generator and charging things up whilst cooking dinner.

Maggie
Old 04-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #901
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotdonne View Post
My husband doesn't like one pot meals or crock pot meals very much. I use a rice cooker with steamer tray. I can't find my model-it's too old, but here's similar http://goo.gl/S0xyys

It's not good for cooking down the road, but good if have power. The fish or meat and vegetables end up flavoring the rice.
I have an 8-cup Aroma brand rice cooker, which is what I use to make jambalaya for pot-luck dinners— when I travel to other parts of the country for rallies people always expect me to bring a traditional Louisiana dish to potlucks. Not being terribly domestic to begin with, I always go for easy-to-prepare, and this is as easy as it gets.
1 package of Zatarain's spicy jambalaya mix, diced cooked chicken, diced cooked sausage, a tablespoon of Pons Tabasco-infused olive oil, and enough water to cover the lot by about an inch. Stir well, turn on the rice cooker, come back about an hour later and it's done to perfection every time.

For those who think that's too spicy, there's the mild Zatarain's jambalaya mix and regular extra-virgin olive oil, but that's the wimpy way to do it.

Sometimes when I'm preparing it for myself I use boiled shrimp instead of chicken, but never for potlucks because you never know who has a shellfish allergy. Sometimes I use mini pepperoni slices instead of sausage. Sometimes I add crumbled bacon, because even jambalaya is better with bacon.

Sometimes I'll do a different Zaratain's mix. Every Zatarain's mix can all be prepared in a rice cooker. The "dirty rice" mix with crumbled beef also works well for potlucks.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:57 AM   #902
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Someone ought to start a thread on one-dish meal recipes.

Maggie
I don't think this exists, does it? There are recipe and cooking threads on Air Forums, but I don't recall seeing anything devoted to super-small space considerations. And I think it does make a difference whether one is trying to prepare food in an Interstate vs. a larger trailer or RV with more storage and working space.

My husband would not touch a whole lotta stuff, including most one-pot meals, before I started targeting them more to his taste. His mother has referred to me as a "miracle worker" for getting him to eat a wider range of meals, but it's a simple issue of trial and error. And I was highly motivated to keep iterating, because if he kept on eating grotesque bachelor food, I was afraid his health wouldn't hold up and he'd be gone from this world far sooner than I'd prefer.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:22 AM   #903
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There isn't a one dish meal thread....which is why I suggested someone start one.

I probably will, eventually, if someone else doesn't get to it first.

I love Zatarains mixes, Protag, and always pick up a few extra when I am south, in varieties not available up here in Yankee-land.

They are excellent, quick and easy.

Maggie
Old 04-09-2016, 07:36 AM   #904
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I will start a one dish meal thread today... Working on it now ---
Old 04-09-2016, 08:43 AM   #905
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Zatarain's frustrates the hell out of me. Their products that I have tried are wonderful in terms of flavor, but OMG, the *SALT*. That's all I need on an Interstate trip to a remote area is friggin' major water retention, bloating up like a beluga, and then needing to pee every 15 minutes as body fluids come back into balance and the excess is removed.

It's a problem with pre-packaged products other than Zatarain's also - most of them tend to be salt-polluted. I make a good home-made lower-salt jambalaya but it's one of the few one-pot meals that we have not taken in the Interstate because mine always contains shrimp. And shrimp is red alert for stink potential if we are some distance between trash dumps.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #906
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Thread started in this forum... One pot meals in a super small space -

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ce-149044.html

Katy
Old 04-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #907
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Katy!

Let's take this particular discussion over there.

Maggie
Old 04-12-2016, 05:54 AM   #908
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
HUGE small-space improvement, but with some installation caveats I describe in the post. I still have to patch those original holes in this before-after pic.

TOWEL BARS FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160412_TOWEL_BAR_BEFORE_AFTER.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	260526  
Old 04-12-2016, 05:58 AM   #909
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes.

What were they thinking with only one tiny towel bar on the door.

I have several suction cup towel bars, purchased a number of years ago from a now-defunct company, which can go on the bathroom walls or on an outside surface on a sunny day.

Someone should start making those again.

Maggie
Old 04-12-2016, 06:14 AM   #910
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Great improvement but too bad about the hollow core door. Even the road vibration of a wet towel on the bars/pulls may compromise the screw threads in the thin surface veneer of the door, sorry to say, not to mention the temptation to grab the bars. Adding 1/8" x 2" +/- aluminum stock across both sides of the door, and through-bolting the new bars/pulls (without the new base plates) would be a back up plan down the road, but more weight and not as elegant looking. Not sure if the door interior core could take this? BTW the small robe hooks I had suggested would not work either without a backing cross-piece, like the Shakers used centuries ago. The more things change . . .