Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2017, 10:22 AM   #1261
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I happened upon a Camping World the other day, which I had not been in in years, and they have a good variety of suction cup holders of various types, for our space challenged bathrooms, also a number of suction hooks.

FWIW, I have found the flat suction cups far superior in holding power to the ones that you sort of lever and snap in place...

Maggie
I never had any luck with any suction cup based item. I got some bathroom stuff from Wally that had the command strip based stuff and they work.
itsmeok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:23 AM   #1262
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
On the p touch labels, you may want to do Check in a bit

I had several come off in high heat a few years ago - they were stuck to themselves when I was labeling wires - it would have likely been fine if scotch tape was put on the ends

It may have been a bad batch of tape as I have sence ran many through the dishwasher cycle with no issues attached to glass jars

I like the p touch and use it for many things and have never had another issue

Like the nalgene - I also use it for coconut oil
They also make a strong adhesive version of the tape. Doesn't seem to be in local stores so I buy online.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:31 AM   #1263
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Overland Park , Kansas
Side note after my own searching for just the right size acrylic boxes, I wish there was a site that you could put in the exact dimensions and get back a box you could order. I mean for this purpose telling me its 2 quarts is useless.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:24 PM   #1264
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Magnetic bar

In the Lounge models, drawer space is gold. As a hater of clutter, I started looking for a place to stow small galley gear outside of the limited drawer space. I hit upon the 4" strip of mouse fur valence above the window over the galley and just under the cabinets.

I knew that anything stowed there would potentially stain the light-colored mouse fur. My "Ouddy" magnetic bar is 18" long, so I cut a 4" x 21" piece of scrap Lexan for backing. I mounted the back piece of the mag-bar on the Lexan with two stainless #6x32x1# screws through drilled holes in the valance with a washer and cap nut on the window side (first photo). The cap nut guarantees a smooth surface should the shade ever contact the screw.

The visible part of the mag bar simply attached so the back piece magnetically. The is the time to watch your fingers since it is very strong and snaps in place quite violently.

I'm not sure what my wife will stow there, but I put a few items up for a photo. There is space for more such bars if it works out well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bar backing.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	292305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Magnetic bar.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	292306  

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:15 PM   #1265
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Great place to use a magnet to hold a recipe while mixing ingredients or some spice containers perhaps
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:37 AM   #1266
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss Guy View Post
Interblog,

A para-cord junky should invest in a pair of KEEN water shoes like I have. Each is a sole attached to an upper made of two pieces of para-cord woven together. Very airy and comfortable. Colorful too!

Richard
Yeah, well, don't even get me started on what it's like being a full 40 pounds lighter than the average American woman of my age bracket, and how difficult it is to obtain shoes and clothing that fit. The 1st gen KEENs were awesome, because they had a very narrow foot bed. I wore mine until they literally fell into pieces. But of course all the other ladies with fat feet howled about how they didn't fit, and KEEN widened their lasts. The result is that I can no longer wear them, just as I cannot wear at least 90% of what's on the market generally.

How old do the feet look in this pic? They're the feet of a woman in her mid-50's. And there are no KEENs on them.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:39 AM   #1267
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Yeah, well, don't even get me started on what it's like being a full 40 pounds lighter than the average American woman of my age bracket, and how difficult it is to obtain shoes and clothing that fit. The 1st gen KEENs were awesome, because they had a very narrow foot bed. I wore mine until they literally fell into pieces. But of course all the other ladies with fat feet howled about how they didn't fit, and KEEN widened their lasts. The result is that I can no longer wear them, just as I cannot wear at least 90% of what's on the market generally.

How old do the feet look in this pic? They're the feet of a woman in her mid-50's. And there are no KEENs on them.

Keen's are made in cool kids sizes as well[emoji3][emoji3]
Old 08-16-2017, 06:51 AM   #1268
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Keen's are made in cool kids sizes as well[emoji3][emoji3]
I tried the kids' versions, but again, too wide. Also Tevas. I'm currently wearing one falling-apart pair of Tevas, many years old, and periodically I check in with REI, which is really good about monitoring the manufacturers (REI has very skilled buyers at the corporate level - they pay strict attention to product details like that). As recently as a few weeks ago, they explained to me that Teva was bought out by some parent company and they are not using quality lasts right now - this is a known problem, with many customer complaints resulting from it.

Manufacturers rotate out their shapes as well as styles. I have learned to keep tabs on every season's new offerings, because if something comes on the market that I can actually wear, I need to strike while the iron is hot.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:25 AM   #1269
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
IB I share your feet and your shopping frustrations. Skinny feet without much flesh on them with a highish arch and long arch length.

I did find that 2 years ago the Keen Whisper was narrow enough for me that I could wear it. It's on a different footbed than their others.

The chaco with the toe loop also works OK for me, though the footbed is quite firm.

And this year I was able for the first time ever to get Birks that fit me. The twisting ankle strap held them on well.

http://www.zappos.com/p/birkenstock-...22/color/14963

If you don't mind dropping some change, this store/website has sandals that come in narrows still built on old lasts.
https://marmishoes.com/

Just finding a go-to comfy shoe is pretty hard for me too, so I wanted to share some things that have worked for me in case they help you out.

To keep this on-topic, it is a challenge finding a few really good shoes to have and travel with when you have a hard-to-fit foot.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #1270
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
One more in the category of "not a single inch of space wasted".

I think I paid three or four bucks each for these hanging things that look like oversized tea infusers. I got them a year or two ago at World Market but I can't find an internet listing now (I use them at home for storing garlic and other odds and ends).

One holds full teabags, individually wrapped by their producers. One holds empty tea bags, the "roll your own" kind that accepts loose tea leaves. One holds 20 packets of my husband's Crystal Light - OMG, we have to have Crystal Light onboard, or it's not a good situation.

I used two of the Magnolia clamp spoons to keep them from sliding around. So far, with limited driving, they don't swing so badly that I become motivated to do anything about them, such as take them down for the ride duration.

I'll be so glad to depart this place for a northern break from it (very soon!). I've been running Vitrifrigo trials, and the overnight low inside the van was 85. It was 90 degrees inside the van by 8:30 a.m. as I was waxing the exterior (Rejex - love that stuff!), and it's well over 100 now, before noon, despite the Fantastic ventilation. Thus far, knock wood, the solar alone has been keeping up with an almost-constant fridge compressor demand under extreme heat, keeping the fridge in the 30's and the batteries between 90% and 100% by the time sundown rolls around. I haven't had to invoke any other charging mechanism over the past several days.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:20 AM   #1271
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Nice XXL' infusers there great idea for organizing this bits.

What's Tex Joy in the spice bottle in the center.

Got the needles/nettles, wood salt figured out.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:15 PM   #1272
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
...What's Tex Joy in the spice bottle in the center.

I guess non-Texans wouldn't necessarily recognize that. Remembering that my husband is a native Houstonian, it's a type of steak seasoning. The van does not move without TexJoy onboard. I don't even think the engine would turn over if it weren't present.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:20 PM   #1273
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
OK, how about this one?

The plastic sack that the Wamsutta sheet sets are sold in at Bed Bath and Beyond, holding 8 bags of Stacy's pita chips and four bags of vacuum-packed popcorn. It barely weighs 1 pound but is obviously very bulky, so it's a perfect candidate for the gear loft I crafted for our cab.

Those PITA chips have always been a P.I.T.A. where storage is concerned. But I like cheese and chips, hummus and chips, canned wild salmon and chips, stew and chips. A veritable chip freak, and so they must be brought along. But there is no way that this king-sized sheet package can be allowed to consume valuable overhead bin space.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:31 PM   #1274
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Interbug,

Pretty nice feet, actually. I do believe I have seen them before!

Richard
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:56 AM   #1275
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Nice XXL' infusers there great idea for organizing this bits.

What's Tex Joy in the spice bottle in the center.

Got the needles/nettles, wood salt figured out.
It's an exceptionally effective blood-pressure-booster and salivary-gland inciter.
The ingredient list (in descending order): Salt, Garlic, Black Pepper, other Spices, Monosodium Glutamate, calcium stearate.
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:05 PM   #1276
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Boxite

On a quick initial look at the photo I saw Sex Joy and that would likely do the same.

Upon zooming in on the photo I then saw Tex Joy .

Here in AZ we buy a seasoning called Arizona Dreaming (actually from Penzy's).

It's fun to try spices blended for a nod to regional tastes.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #1277
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
. . .
. . . So far, with limited driving, they don't swing so badly that I become motivated to do anything about them . . .
. . .
They will probably wear down the edge of that wood (?) shelf on which the chains are rubbing IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:43 PM   #1278
DotPaul

2006 22' Parkway
Rochester , Minnesota
What is the weird/cut-off generator cable?

I am new owner of old Parkway. Crawled under to check generator oil and saw this strange cable. Comes out left side of generator and then just stops - looks like cut with cable cutters. Anyone know what this is?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gennie Cable.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	292590
Paul708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:22 PM   #1279
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul708 View Post
I am new owner of old Parkway. Crawled under to check generator oil and saw this strange cable. Comes out left side of generator and then just stops - looks like cut with cable cutters. Anyone know what this is?

Attachment 292590
Can you start the generator? That almost looks like the heavy 12VDC cable that feeds the starter and ignition.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #1280
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul708 View Post

Attachment 292590
I did a quick look, my 2006 Interstate is just the same.
Might be some sort of breather/drain.

My generator works fine.
Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote