Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #1241
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
My husband and I had that discussion and concluded that there are pros and cons either way. For now, we're going with gas. In fact, my husband is working on an extension to our hitch carrier, an extension that is custom-fit to the Wavian jerry can that I picked up to go with the saw.

Of course there've been previous discussions about the safety issues with carrying any flammable material on the rear end, but I'll only have to do it for short local trips in remote areas (about a 40 mile round trip to the nearest gas station). Otherwise the can will be chained on but carried empty.
I ditched gas chain saws 25 years or more ago when I realized that electric saws are... QUIETER...so you can hear warnings and wood "snap" and they SAVE YOUR HEARING and don't bother the neighbors..... LIGHTER... so they don't tire you so quickly and are therefore SAFER to handle and they can be used in more locations... MULTI-POSITION because they don't require one to avoid hot exhaust or worry about spillage.... EASIER TO START because they only require a pull on the trigger.... LONGER-LIVED because they don't wear-out from lousy/stale fuel or incorrect fuel/oil ratios.

Any lightweight, quiet generator will power them in out-of-the-way places or boondocking ...as they use only a few watts.
The WORX brand (German company) is particularly durable and inexpensive. $99 at Lowes.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #1242
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the WORX reference. This one draws 15 amps:

https://www.amazon.com/18-Inch-Elect...n+saw+electric

Shifting over to cordless battery options, this 12" one was recommended on the Lithium Tools thread in an early post there:

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-...ithium+40+volt

Ditto for this GreenWorks 12": https://www.amazon.com/GreenWorks-20...electric+12%22

In the Milwaukee M18 line, this one-handed reciprocating saw could handle some fairly large tree branch diameters IMO, but it is no chain saw of course:

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-262...aukee+m18+saws

Sure would be worth considering some compromises not to carry gasoline!

Cheers,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:11 PM   #1243
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I've been looking at forestry sites to get a rough estimate of how many trees I have. If this were a seedling-planted property, it would right around five thousand (to be appropriately thinned with successive growth seasons). It's a wild-regenerated previously-logged property, helter skelter growth, but I'm figuring it's at least five thousand trees and very possibly more. Some of it is referred to in local vernacular as "rabbit spruce" not because rabbits can eat it (a misconception) but because only a rabbit can fit between the individual trunks.

Of course I don't have to cut down nearly all of them - just a select number. But given the size of the job, we went with the proven gasoline alternative. We don't yet have a feel for how much demand a lithium chain saw would place upon our Interstate's lithium battery bank, and there's no propane in the area so the option of jury-rigging a recharge to our generator doesn't appeal to me. And shore power is not present, of course.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:28 AM   #1244
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Makes sense! Thanks for the reply. The gas option does indeed seem like the best.

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- Until you can build your new tool shed with solar panels on the roof!

Old 08-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #1245
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Add on storage solution

Saw this add on storage unit while in Norway!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3093.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	291380  
Old 08-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #1246
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
A couple of minor space enhancements here, courtesy of The Container Store. I like to actually bring the Interstate over there, so I can check / fit my purchases prior to bringing them home, so I did that this morning.

(1) I used the wider "magnetic strip bulletin board", 14 x 2 inch size, to create a storage area to the left of the galley window. It's only a tiny bit of wall space that is available, and the only neodymium container that would fit it properly was the "three by three" magnetic acrylic pencil cup, shown here as a pair, obviously:

(2) I used another of the same sized magnetic strip to create a space over the wet bath door which will be used to store general hardware (nails, screws, nuts, bolts, etc., sorted) for the upcoming boondock. Five of the magnetic spice tins fit on it - the tins that are not sufficiently moisture-proof for spices and are therefore reserved for other small items:

(3) And speaking of spices, I finally got all my 1, 2, and 4-oz Nalgene bottles labeled and filled. They ARE moisture-proof, and the radical breakthrough in creativity shown here is to actually use the Interstate spice rack to hold spices.

The things hanging on the spice rack bar with the R on them are Rumpl can koozies, which they call "beer blankets". They unpack to become cylindrical and fit around a beverage can in the usual fashion.

I bought a Brother P-Touch labeling machine - have been meaning to do this for a while now, not so much because of spices but because we put in an entire lithium battery system and don't have anything labeled yet, except via hen scratch on masking tape. It sorta makes the show-and-tell look like crap if stuff is not finished out and labeled as professionally as it was built.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:14 PM   #1247
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
On the p touch labels, you may want to do Check in a bit

I had several come off in high heat a few years ago - they were stuck to themselves when I was labeling wires - it would have likely been fine if scotch tape was put on the ends

It may have been a bad batch of tape as I have sence ran many through the dishwasher cycle with no issues attached to glass jars

I like the p touch and use it for many things and have never had another issue

Like the nalgene - I also use it for coconut oil
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:44 AM   #1248
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Here's an interesting vendor for small-space and secure-packing enthusiasts -- Strapworks out of Eugene.

There was some tie-down hardware that I could not buy locally for some of my small-space and rescued-space projects, so I turned to these guys, but in the process of placing a standard order, I also requested one of their free grab bags.

What you see in this photo below is my order on the left, and the pile of free scraps on the right. Obviously they've hit upon a creative waste management idea - rather than disposing of their many order trimmings in a landfill, they send them out to customers.

Well, this pile on the right is like heaven arriving in a cardboard box for any given seamstress or seamster. This is top-quality strapping - I can adapt those pieces in multiple different Interstate applications. The colors don't coordinate but many of the applications are hidden from view (such as securing items inside cabinetry), so that doesn't matter.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #1249
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Manna from Heaven! Do you have a sewing machine heavy duty enough to sew two layers of strapping together? Could you post a link for it please.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 08-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #1250
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'll take the purple and the pink, if you don't want it.

Maggie
Old 08-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #1251
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I happened upon a Camping World the other day, which I had not been in in years, and they have a good variety of suction cup holders of various types, for our space challenged bathrooms, also a number of suction hooks.

FWIW, I have found the flat suction cups far superior in holding power to the ones that you sort of lever and snap in place...

Maggie
Old 08-11-2017, 11:11 AM   #1252
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Ooooh, Makes you want to place an order just to see what comes in your grab bag of scraps. Very nice.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #1253
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Hose and power cord management

As you can relate, the first thing I need to get to when I pull into an RV site is the power cord and the potable water hose. I couldn't stand having loosely coiled items out on top of things, and it made no sense to stow them away deep under other things like camp chairs etc. so I found these nifty zippered bags.

The gray one holds a 25ft hose and I even have a 15ft hose coiled up inside the 25ft and it zips up easily. I keep the water filter attached to the end; it's hanging out and it all works great. No dribbles!
Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The black bag is larger; the power cord would not fit into another of those gray bags. After much searching for a US source, I finally gave in and ordered direct from a supplier in China. It arrived in two weeks and I'm really happy with it. It accepts the OEM power cord and the bulky surge suppressor.
Link: https://www.jpson.com/product/carry-...lor_p1319.html

The plastic bins I posted recently in another post. These are from Container Store; they "lock" and are good quality. Two of them fit perfectly in the rear bin of my GT with room leftover on top for a 2-3 inch tall tool kit, plus room next to them for other items.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5258.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	380.1 KB
ID:	292049   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5257.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	609.2 KB
ID:	292050  

Name:	IMG_5256.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	541.2 KB
ID:	292051   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5254.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	292052  

Name:	IMG_5135.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	292053   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5136.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	292054  

Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #1254
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
BTW, this is what I had intended for those acrylic organizer cups I installed last week. I've struggled with little cardboard boxes of disposable cutlery jiggling and bouncing their way into the darkest recesses of the galley cabinetry, such that I have to go on an expedition to find them. I'm done with that.

And I know that some people don't like seeing disposable food ware, but when I'm on the road traveling long distances, especially when I'm traveling alone, there is no way I'm going to stop to do dishes. I'm eating out of plastic, cardboard, and paper wraps. When I get to a campsite, that's another scenario, and I can take the extra time to use regular dishes.

Anyway, I like this combination... it's acrylic on acrylic. Reminds me of my visit to MOMA.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:14 AM   #1255
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
And another small-space exploit, going where I haven't been required to go previously - into the deepest darkest recesses under our couches. We store bedding under there, in specially-designed protective tubes (blog post). But there is still a bit of space remaining aaaallll the way in the very back, behind the bedding area, and I need to use that for extra clothing.

Why? Yesterday when it was almost 100 degrees here, LB_3 drove over to the Cabela's parking lot to help me troubleshoot our electrical system (see the lithium adventures thread). We got the thing stabilized and were hanging out and resting, reading our phones, when all of a sudden he bellowed, "THE HIGH TODAY [ON OUR CANADA LAND] WAS SIXTY-THREE DEGREES!!"

A far cry from 100, eh? Eh?!

So we need to take quite a range of clothing on this trip, which means that I need to exploit that little bit of remaining space. I used rip stop nylon to create a few of these longish packages for that purpose (white Velcro closures because I have trouble seeing black on black).

Of course someone could simply use plastic bags, but the trouble there is that they tend to hook on the many components and appurtenances that are also stuffed underneath the couches (couch springs, hardware pieces, seat belts, electrical and water lines, etc.). I'm hoping that these smooth rip stop packages prevent a lot of that interference.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #1256
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
BTW, this is what I had intended for those acrylic organizer cups I installed last week. I've struggled with little cardboard boxes of disposable cutlery jiggling and bouncing their way into the darkest recesses of the galley cabinetry, such that I have to go on an expedition to find them. I'm done with that.

And I know that some people don't like seeing disposable food ware, but when I'm on the road traveling long distances, especially when I'm traveling alone, there is no way I'm going to stop to do dishes. I'm eating out of plastic, cardboard, and paper wraps. When I get to a campsite, that's another scenario, and I can take the extra time to use regular dishes.

Anyway, I like this combination... it's acrylic on acrylic. Reminds me of my visit to MOMA.

I like these, IB, but fear the holders are shallow enough that utensils may bounce off in transit...you'll have to tell us how it works out.

I use way more paper and plastic for eating while traveling, and am unapologetic about it.

Fresh water and holding tank capacity are always on ones mind in a small rig, and dishes must be washed.

Maggie
Old 08-13-2017, 12:46 PM   #1257
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I like these, IB, but fear the holders are shallow enough that utensils may bounce off in transit...
. . .
Same concern . . . plus the utensils will get dusty fairly quickly from the static electricity which plastic seems to have IMO. Why not just stow a few plastic utensils in a drawer, with the back up quantity stowed deeper? BTW does the Interstate have a "silver drawer" even a small one?

Great round cloth storage bags in Post #1253, Tronadora.

More
Old 08-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #1258
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I like these, IB, but fear the holders are shallow enough that utensils may bounce off in transit...you'll have to tell us how it works out.

I use way more paper and plastic for eating while traveling, and am unapologetic about it.

Fresh water and holding tank capacity are always on ones mind in a small rig, and dishes must be washed.

Maggie
If that happens, then first inserting the flatware in a clear plastic bag and then stuffing in the holder would both cover the utensils and the bag would help take up any void space making the contents less likely to shift around.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:43 AM   #1259
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
On the disposable cutlery, I thought about the bounce factor, but maybe I'm just being optimistic about our chances of eventually getting air suspension (there have been delays with the vendor).

Now, different subject, this is one of the applications where I wanted to try using some of the goodies I bought from Strapworks. I love paracord - I'm one of those nerds who drools over all the elaborate paracord weavings on Instagram; it has such fascinating potential as a crafting material. The paracord shown in the photo below is the color "titanium" ($0.17 per foot), which is perfectly coordinated to the interior of the majority of T1N Interstates that have the same color scheme as ours. The findings are called "ball style cord locks" ($0.35 each). They are surprisingly strong.

For this trial, I simply took some lengths of the paracord, ran them through the aluminum perforations on the suspended under-cabinet shelves I built (blog post here), and used the cord locks to create cinch loops to hold our two REI camp chairs.

I still have plenty of headroom with this in place. The ends don't need to dangle down like that - they could be rotated out of the way.

When I built the suspended aluminum shelves, I realized that they had great potential for organizing a range of smaller equipment pieces, like bats hanging from the roof of a cave. I haven't had to leverage that full potential yet, but I'm getting there. I think I am going to be able to accommodate (without generating clutter) the incredible increase in equipment that we need for this upcoming trip - the kayak and all its parts, the chain saw and its parts, the bicycle and its accessories, the bushcraft equipment, new aluminum step stool, BBQ stuff, extra bedding, extra clothing, etc. Everything in its place and a place for everything, but of course it has taken me a few months of free time to create all the different storage solutions that the stuff requires.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:15 AM   #1260
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Interblog,

A para-cord junky should invest in a pair of KEEN water shoes like I have. Each is a sole attached to an upper made of two pieces of para-cord woven together. Very airy and comfortable. Colorful too!

Richard
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote