Old 03-23-2016, 07:03 AM   #855
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
This find also makes me contemplate what else might be achieved with other kinds of toy snakes, namely the hyper-realistic varieties. Of all the potential security measures we talked about on other threads, I don't think anyone raised the possibility of having a rubber snake fall onto the neck of a thief as he pried open an Interstate door... Snakes in an Interstate instead of Snakes on a Plane...

Years ago, my late husband and I put rubber snakes in the rafters and above the doors of an aircraft hangar, in an attempt to prevent birds from nesting there. One day, when John was out there alone, he pulled the hangar door shut with some force. The impact caused a snake to fall from above the door. It hit him on the shoulder and then fell onto the ground near his feet. He was just thinking, "I'm glad I knew that was a rubber snake." when the snake came to and slithered away.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #856
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
That's pretty funny!

The other thing I thought about was having a motion-activated recording of a rattlesnake commence playing in the Interstate if someone broke in.

The only issue with that is that many thieves wouldn't recognize the sound and respond accordingly. Rattlesnakes do not rattle - they buzz. TV has done a world of disservice in this regard by associating them with the wrong sound in the minds of the public. A group of young people cornered one in Palo Duro last week and I noted to them that it was a good learning experience for this reason - they got to hear what a rattler really sounds like - a buzzer, because this guy did NOT like being surrounded and his tail was just going at it non-stop. But an uninformed person might have mistaken that sound for a cicada.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:58 PM   #857
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
. . . He was just thinking, "I'm glad I knew that was a rubber snake." when the snake came to and slithered away.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #858
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I thought I would post a pic of this because I found it impossible to gauge the size and usefulness of these products from the internet sales postings.

Context. In many of the older state and federal camping areas to which I've been, there are no appurtenances or conveniences of any kind. There's a hot and cold shower knob, a spigot, and if we are lucky, there is a shower curtain but it doesn't remotely come to the floor. There are no stall doors, no benches, no floor grates, no hanging hooks on the wall - nothing, nada, zilch. I've seen women leave their clothing and toiletries in small heaps by the entrances to these facilities because they have nowhere to stash their stuff and they don't want their items to soak up the overspray from the showers because the entire floor of the facility is usually under water.

Until now, we had been porting our toiletries to public showers in a small undivided tote bag, which would proceed to sit on the floor and get soaked in some cases. Furthermore, with a bunch of stuff thrown disorganized in a tote, I have to do my least favorite thing ever - rummage, rummage, rummage. I'm a -8 diopter so when I'm getting in and out of the shower without glasses, all I do is rummage because I literally can't see a blessed thing.

Even if the shower curtains are missing from a facility, a shower rod is usually still in place - and therein lies the key to my product purchasing decision tree. There are two products shown in this photo - the Container Store "resort hanging organizer" and a "train case" clipped to the bottom of it using a carabiner key ring. If one does not require hair care products, one could delete the "train case". I wish that were true of me, but every time I give myself a buzz cut, my husband and daughter whine about it because they are under the impression that females are supposed to have hair. I don't know where they got that idea, but for the moment I am humoring them.

Anyway, issue solved - even a blind woman could find her soap and fresh socks with this thing. And it folds down into a small package for stowage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-IMG_3327.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	259304  
Old 03-24-2016, 02:35 PM   #859
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Hmmmm, I do love me some organization. Thanks nice product.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:56 PM   #860
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
in situations like that.. I take a small collapsible camp chair in with me and set everything on that... I also have the divided bag similar to the one you've shown... it all works fine.... gail
Old 03-25-2016, 08:38 AM   #861
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
General comment on my substantial flow of gadgetry -

I must say, I can't think of a single thing that I have purchased that I later regretted or thought "It turns out that I don't really use that". This is a situation of two people and a dog living in a space of about 100 square feet. It's not like a stick house where one can always "make do" with something else because there are no restrictions on adaptation. I keep buying gadgets because I keep being delighted with the results.

In fact, I took my little blue silicone hand tongs, the ones whose exclusive function is to flip toast on the portable propane gas stove toaster, and I started waving them around and clapping them on our last trip. I was going, "Yay!!" (clap clap clap) "I'm so glad that I have these tiny little hand tongs because what other tool would ever get this particular job done?" (clap clap clap). And my husband was going, "Oh God... please stop..."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-IMG_1315.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	259344  
Old 04-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #862
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
It's not often that you'll hear me describe Airstream using the word "genius", but today is the day. Let me explain.

I want to better utilize the space on the back of our wet bath door. In the T1N Interstate, there is just one 14 inch low-profile towel bar on that entire door. If I could even add a second matching towel bar below it, I would double the usable space. A two-layer towel bar system would work well because we use those microfiber towels that are smaller than conventional towels to start with. Plus I could also hang small pieces of wet clothing on a second bar so that I wouldn't have to look at them strewn throughout the vehicle.

For the life of me, I could not locate any similar product in the consumer marketplace, so I looked up the Airstream part number, only to find that it's not a towel bar at all - they took an oversized drawer handle pull and riveted on a pair of modified washers so that they could attach it from the front side rather than from the back side as drawer and cabinet pulls are universally designed. An absolutely brilliant repurposing and adaptation which accounted perfectly for the fact that there just isn't space on the back of that door for a conventional towel bar - it would stick out too far.

I am going to call Airstream next week to see if they could sell me a second one, but a decade following production, I'm figuring that my chances are slim that they would still have any in stock.

Meanwhile, I thought I would ask -- has anyone else attempted to reconfigure the back of the wet bath door for improved space utilization, and if so, how did you do it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160402_TOWEL_BAR_SPECS.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	259790  
Old 04-02-2016, 09:27 AM   #863
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Seems like you could use a variety of cabinet "wire pulls" like the one below (from the residential construction arena). There are all kinds of designs and lengths.

http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Stee...shed+stainless

Do your smaller towels have loops for hanging from one corner? Smaller hooks are handy for lots of things, especially items that have been dried and need to stay nearby and handy to grab with a wet hand.

You can also hang wet things from several of these by folding over the top edge, but this would not be stable on the road of course:

http://www.amazon.com/Liberty-Hardwa...l+closet+hooks

They make a double-hook version of these too.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:51 AM   #864
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I use the towel bar as a hook to hang an organizer for soap, shampoo,etc. This organizer lifts off to carry to the campground shower when I am using it instead of the camper's shower.

I use over-the-door hooks and reverse them when I 'land.' They face out when camping and turn into the bathroom when driving. Same with the closet door--in when driving, out when settled.

And, if I don't need what's on the hooks, then they stay tucked away and there's slightly less clutter. Plus, I don't have to conquer my aversion to making holes.

Have you installed a retractable clothesline in the bathroom? I use these to put on the retractable clothesline to keep wet things separate and hold more. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004F3MQIM/...=IG6W0J5S8CYWI

You could also put these or S-hooks on your towel bar. You have to take them off when driving, though, if they're empty.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:12 AM   #865
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
OTRA, thanks, I may decide to get one or more wire pulls and duplicate what is there already.

Regarding hooks, unless they are the removable over-the-door types or strong magnet types, I have resolved to use only those that fold flat when not in use. In the Interstate's small space, I know that people and things are going to get stabbed by, or caught up in, permanent hooks that stick out.

Here is one version that I found on Amazon and I really love the quality and the look, although I haven't decided where I'm going to mount this yet. Perhaps on the inside of the closet door as a pair (one on each side of the mirror).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160402_KES_HOOK.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	259871  
Old 04-03-2016, 07:33 AM   #866
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Also on the subject of hooks, I really love this device although I note with frustration that the internet lists it as 13 inches wide when it is actually 12 inches wide.

After a year and a half of Interstate ownership, I conceded to the realization that there is just no way that I can customize the closet to meet all possible needs, which include but are not limited to the following:

- Mobile office storage space
- Fancy clothes hanging space
- Backcountry pack stacking space
- Coat storage space
- Grocery space if I'm running errands
- If I'm lazy sometimes I simply cram bedding in there, floor to ceiling, rather than re-packing it each morning.

Furthermore, we may lose part of the space near the floor to the upcoming lithium retrofit (right now our house battery is beneath the cab passenger seat and that has to change).

Anyway, the hooks on this product can be folded up while not in use. Furthermore the unit itself can be lifted off its mounting screws and removed, which is important because one of the main wire chases is behind the adjacent closet wall and my husband needs to remove wall sections routinely to get at it.

No more hiking poles rattling in the closet - halleluja. Also, husband and I both use water bladders in our day packs (Camelback or similar) and we've learned the hard way that those things must be hung up. They are very good at finding new ways to leak.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160403_UMBRA_FLIP3.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	259872  
Old 04-03-2016, 08:42 AM   #867
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Good alternative hooks, especially that fold-up one with multiple hooks. The white deal on the back of the door "looks" heavy IMO even with the hooks folded up. Will they stay up on the road?

I am pretty sure this small double robe hook only sticks out 1 1/2" and offers the least cluttered look. Used these all over for decades at home. No moving parts. KISS but of course limited utility for large bunched up fabric items. Items with hanging loops work great, as each item can have its own separate mini-hook. Small mounting screws so holes are easy to patch if relocation makes sense. Through-bolt to thin cabinet doors, etc..

http://www.amazon.com/LIBERTY-B46114...productDetails
Old 04-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #868
4 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari
Saco , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
"I'm so glad that I have these tiny little hand tongs because what other tool would ever get this particular job done?"
I have bamboo toast tongs for the Airstream and for home. But I understand what you are saying.