Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #1201
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
In the Blog it shows a chart that says 40AH estimated daily draw.
But I would be intereted in actual Amp current draw- probably once down to temp. Of course, outside temperature would certainly affect that and how often and long the door is open etc.

Mark

Edit:
One link shows a 2.8 Amp Current.
Lotus54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:29 AM   #1202
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We haven't run the full range of tests yet, as we had it operating for less than 24 hours. Also, Sunday's temps were much milder than Saturday afternoon conditions (about 91 degrees vs. 100 - which from a burden perspective seems much worse than the difference between 71 and 80 degrees). So multiple variables were in play.

We have a 300 AH battery bank with 300 watts of solar. The solar had the batteries back to 100% before 1 p.m. under partly cloudy conditions. Furthermore, ambient solar was able to keep the batteries at 100% for the rest of the daylight hours even as the fridge was under peak load. The short answer is YES, we expect to be able to boondock with this fridge.

Now, we can also do what Amirm does, and use the alternator rather than the solar to re-charge the batteries if they aren't brought back up by the sun. The alternator delivers amperage far more quickly but we don't have data on that yet either, partly because with so much capacity in the lithiums, our state of charge (SOC) perpetually hovers between 90% and 100% most of the time. We know theoretically what the alternator is supposed to deliver, but we haven't put it to the test yet under lower SOC conditions.

Knock wood, thus far I'm pleased with this whole situation. The fridge easily remained down around freezing even as the temperature exceeded 90 degrees with full sun blasting on the driver side of the vehicle.

And it "re-legitimized" our solar. We've been doing all these upgrades piecemeal, because we set out incrementally, not knowing what our final goal was. We installed solar before we had lithium, because solar was really important and far more relevant when all we had was a single Lifeline battery. But then after the lithiums went in, the solar sort of became obsolete because the engine alternator was capable of delivering a much faster charge (which it can't do as quickly with a Lifeline because of the internal resistance). But now that the electric fridge is in, it really benefits from having that smaller but constant solar input that means I don't have to crank the engine in the middle of nowhere just to get the batteries back up.

Additionally, this also means that I can delete my aspirations for a diesel heater (which saves $1,500+) because we won't need that for our foreseeable boondocking future. We just deleted our big propane-eater - the 3-way fridge. The pressure is now off our tiny propane tank. It can run the existing furnace quite nicely under these conditions.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:20 AM   #1203
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Thanks. Sounds like a plan. I have 500W solar, 320 amphour lithium, but not alternator like yours. Sounds doable, so something to consider over the long haul.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #1204
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Totally different small-space subject now, of potential interest for T1N Interstate owners, whose cab ceilings are undeveloped.

I designed a bulky / light gear loft for ours, and here is the Eureka take-away on this project:

You can use Airstream's OEM snap bases, the ones from which the privacy curtain was intended to be hung. Those snaps are a universal size, and by embedding the cap part of the same-sized snap in a fitted gear loft, it can be snapped in place and suspended there without having to make a single modification to the cab or its headliner (and furthermore it can be removed for trips where it is not needed). We use Heatshield brand window liners, so I don't need Airstream's privacy curtain. I can use those snaps to anchor a gear loft instead.

Blog post:

DIY CAB GEAR LOFT FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE

Money shot:

Old 07-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #1205
2 Rivet Member

2007 Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Very nice gear loft and much cleaner looking than my gear net (p. 69 of this thread). Using that space has freed behind-the-driver's-seat space as well as cabinet space because I put the heat shields up there with the pillows.

The frig is gorgeous.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #1206
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I really like the gear loft, IB, and the straps look adjustable for the amount of whatever you have in there.

I fear, if I had one, I would just find more stuff to carry, tho...

Seriously, you could open a small but profitable business with some of these things you've come up with.

Maggie
Old 07-10-2017, 12:20 PM   #1207
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I found this latch at a hardware store on my way to the UP a couple of weeks ago, then a friend with a drill this morning who helped me install it.

No more clothes swaying against the closet door, causing it to come open while driving.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5045.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	289156  
Old 07-10-2017, 12:42 PM   #1208
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
LOL... that closet is a real P.I.T.A. My solution was to run a Gear Tie around from the TV mount, and tie the door handle to it.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #1209
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Doug had put in a few screw-in hooks in the closet walls years ago, and we have in the past stretched a bungee cord between them to hold the clothes in place, but this is a better solution and goes reasonable well with the interior.

Maggie
Old 07-11-2017, 10:18 PM   #1210
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
We actually flipped our closet door upside down. Now it hinges on the left making it much more accessible when we leave the bed made up. I used all the factory hardware and it never flew open like it use to. Maggie's solution is one I was considering.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #1211
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebtown View Post
We actually flipped our closet door upside down. Now it hinges on the left making it much more accessible when we leave the bed made up. I used all the factory hardware and it never flew open like it use to. Maggie's solution is one I was considering.

I did the same thing. I also put a large mirror right on the door so the wife is happy and I have a few more minutes in bed.[emoji2]
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:15 PM   #1212
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
InterBlog.....I'm fascinated with your refer changeout.... However I'm also aware of the noise issues some have with the cooling fans of absorption refers... I switched my refer fans to a pair of computer fans and am happy with that solution... but...
Has the new refer compressor been so obvious? I saw your posts with the soundmeter and that concerns me...
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:51 PM   #1213
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Strange- my closet has never opened by itself, and I Load it up with riding gear.
Maybe the latch is better?

The latch did stick 'closed' the other day, a quick lever fixed it.
Mark
Lotus54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:48 AM   #1214
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
InterBlog.....I'm fascinated with your refer changeout.... However I'm also aware of the noise issues some have with the cooling fans of absorption refers... I switched my refer fans to a pair of computer fans and am happy with that solution... but...
Has the new refer compressor been so obvious? I saw your posts with the soundmeter and that concerns me...
It may have a bit to do with the way that people decide to vent their units. With 2-ways, some folks want to vent into the vehicle instead of out the side. James Adinaro (FitRV) recently upgraded to a two-compressor electric from the old propane that his Travato came with. He warns on his video that the compressors are audible. I can't remember and it's a five-video series so I can't check easily, but I believe he might have done interior venting.

It wasn't an issue for me because we were having so much trouble with the Dometic that I just made a command decision to accept whatever limitations might come with a compressor fridge. (Incidentally, there’s a few folks pitching fits on a Base Camp thread right now because they’re having the same refrigerator issues – the new Base Camp is delivered with the same Dometic 3-way model as the older Interstates).

The use of the blanket in the storage slot largely resolved our noise issue, and I did find that I had to cut a length of closed-cell pipe insulation for the slot when the blanket was not in place (I haven't yet done a noise reading on it). Additionally, I had to stuff the bottom edge of the fridge with a half-cut piece of pipe insulation flattened out, because there was a surprising amount of air coming through there which I didn’t realize until it short-circuited the rig’s ventilation.

I don't think the pipe insulation looks bad. It's "Interstate gray".

Old 07-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #1215
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
FWIW, our Nova Kool was so quiet, it was difficult to ascertain if it was running.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:13 AM   #1216
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have to put my ear against the NovaKool to hear my compressor.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #1217
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
As an ancient diabetic, I must carry an array of pills with me in the AI. In my former trailers, I usually grabbed several of my long, skinny, one-week compartmented pill organizers that they are not really designed for small, cluttered cabinet spaces. One or more compartments end up popping open and spilling the pills.

I found this "Lewis N Clark" pill organizer in an outdoors store. Each compartment snaps closed securely, then it folds and locks securely so that every compartment is doubly secured. I ignore the compartment labeling and it holds 4 days with two spare small compartments. It is small enough that I can drop it in a pocket if we are going to be away from the rig in the evening. I bought several to cover our usual week-long trips.

No more spilled pills.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pillbox.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	289847  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #1218
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Similar idea only larger, Sharpie for scale. One pushes the purple tab inward (to the right) to release the locking mechanism. It's called a CraftMates Lockables, available at Joann for about four bucks.

This for spare fuses, not pills. I had been keeping fuses in those magnetic metal spice tins, but I got sick of hauling down multiple tins to look for the right sized fuse. So I'm going to put them in here, and put magnets on the back of it to hold it to the organizer board.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:38 PM   #1219
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I also carry pills and supplements, and like to sort them out a week at a time...am and pm...and have also had problems with the pill case falling and the pills all over the floor...most recently, today.

When I remember, I lay a piece of tape over each side for traveling, which prevents the spill.

I have a case like Pahaska shows, and it is very secure, but it isn't big enough for me.

Maggie

p.s. I still have this units original Dometic frig, and it is silent running, all the time.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #1220
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Thanks, InterBlog.... I may have to ask a favor next time I'm down to Houston area and hope you'll let me buy a beer to listen.... ??

League City is an old haunt of mine when I flew pipeline patrol for S&S back in the early '70s. (Our old grass strip is now a neighborhood out west of I45).

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/TX/...n_SE.htm#sands
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote