Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 04:24 AM   #1181
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Very clever, IB.

Maggie
Old 06-26-2017, 05:19 AM   #1182
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Batteries + Bulbs store

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Yes, and LB_3 and I talked about that. But would we want the hassle of doing so? Especially with all the other projects we've continually got going on? Do we even want to research whether the chain saw's existing battery enclosure is sonic-welded to the point where we could not re-use it to incorporate new batteries down the road if we need to? Did it incorporate generic or proprietary battery configurations? And while we're at it, do we want to support manufacturers who rely on tricking consumers into repurchasing via this kind of built-in obsolescence?

Too many questions. We went with gasoline.
I have had my DeWalt battery packs rebuilt by Batteries + Bulbs several times. They do good work and the price is far less than what DeWalt was charging for a new battery pack.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #1183
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I've said it before - our Interstate just keeps getting bigger and bigger! I'm finally finished with our 48-square-foot outdoor living space addition (or larger if I extend the awning to its full length)
I just finished reading your full description. Wow- No way I have the sewing skills to make something like that, let along a space to do it. Much as I think it would be great to have (although I've yet to use the van anyplace that bugs were an issue- got it in the fall)

Looks great!
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:48 AM   #1184
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Well, you'll notice that I didn't make one, either, until I had a very targeted need, that being my property in Canada and our planned trip. It's a massive DIY.

There are free-standing bug enclosures that people sometimes buy... I believe Protag may have had one. And, IIRC, he may have carried it in his toad. Therein lies the rub. I went through this project often thinking to myself, "There MUST be a better way." But I'm not sure there is, due to the size constraints. Without a toad or at least an EXT, I think the options are very limited.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #1185
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Towel bars for Interstate

I picked up two drawer pulls at a junk sale to use as towel bars in the van. I did not want to bolt them through the wall, so I copied what Airstream did on the bathroom door (yes, that bar started life as a drawer pull, too.)

I bought 4 large, thin stainless steel washers, center punched 2 mounting hole locations on each, and drilled the washers for 1/2" #6 stainless screws. I made a simple jig onto which I bolted the washers while they were being drilled. Saves fingers! I then attached the washers to the bars with machine screws.

Using a square, I marked the wall with pencil at the center of each bar leg. Because the machine screw heads holding the washers to the bars would otherwise prevent the washers from laying flat, I drilled a shallow hole at the center of each leg with a Forsner bit, just deep enough to accommodate the machine screw head. I then drilled small pilot holes at each mounting point and screwed the bars to the wall.

I attached the bars high, out of the "splash zone." They are pretty much hidden behind the curtain and do not protrude far enough to be noticeable when using the toilet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Towel bars.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	288349  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:18 PM   #1186
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
I have the 20 liter version of that can. Works great & doesn't vent if gasket is intact. But -- no way I'd travel with it as you propose to do unless you can securely mount on the outside as 4x4 trail riders do. Fire school training gave me too healthy a respect for portable gas cans.

That said, is also strongly consider a propane Honda. No volatile gas to carry, fuel never goes bad, hooks up to existing RV tanks and all around excellent generator option.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #1187
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Should add that I painted mine yellow and carry that in the pickup bed as I use diesel.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:55 AM   #1188
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
For those of you who are relaxing and sipping a cold one on this holiday, James Adinaro's new video might make for some good small-space viewing. Their rig is not an Airstream Interstate, but the principles are identical - every single inch really counts. In this vid, he shows a new external storage box added to their bike rack (from the look of it, the box appears in the range of about 2.5 cu ft), bike rack which IRRC is a Fiamma, and then he goes to an enormous amount of work to re-capture storage volume of approximately 1.3 cubic feet in the unused rear bulkhead by the back door.

Those are small numbers, but in a Class B, small numbers can make or break a storage regime. My husband and I have not posted our Vitrifrigo refrigerator installation pictures yet because we're taking extra time to inset it into the cabinetry by one inch. It would have been a simpler job to install the danged thing flush, but every inch counts.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:46 PM   #1189
DotPaul

2006 22' Parkway
Rochester , Minnesota
Converting fold out bed into twin beds

I just finished a project that removed the two fold out couch/beds and created two twin beds in the same space. Two can sleep comfortably and there is still walking space in between for those late night dog walks.

The original frames are re-used and the storage is now accessible from the top instead of those drop down doors near the floor.

I have a .PDF of steps and photos for anyone interested. This is our solution to maximize space in our 2006 Parkway
Paul708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #1190
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I really tried to keep my sense of humor today while working on the Interstate, but at 96 degrees and 65% RH, I had to mostly fake it.

But while we had the refrigerator de-installed and a bit more space than usual in which to maneuver, I finally got around to completing a mini-project which entailed mounting a paper towel rod UNDER the galley counter, not above it. Some clever sucker on another forum did that in his Class B, I forget which forum (IRV2?), but it was a forehead slapper for me because that's exactly the solution I needed (I wasn't going to accept paper towels above the counter with an open-flame stove).

The best way I found to do this job was to get an ottoman from our house, put in the aisle of the Interstate, and stretch across the van perpendicular to its long axis so that I could stick my head, shoulders, and arms into the galley cabinet and work with the tools above my face. It was just two screws that were required, but nothing is ever easy in these tiny rigs (short blot post here).

Hail the small-space mantra: Not a cubic inch of space wasted. The paper towels are now suspended above my pot, pan, and small appliance basket.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:27 AM   #1191
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
IB, you really "got into this project"! HaHa Just like magic!

Enjoyed the pic! and a great idea!

Katy
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #1192
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Interblog--- Was David Copperfield there?? Was this a try-out for a different
magician? Great Feat (and feet).
AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #1193
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
That photo will hopefully fit into a photo contest thread someday.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:44 PM   #1194
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I really love my magnetic paper towel holder, which has them handy, secure and 19" above the stove top....probably 18" above a flame.

It's been up for 5 years or so, and I've never had the first problem with cooking directly beneath it.

The towels would need to be substantially unfurled, and nothing cooking over the flame, for there to be a risk of them catching fire...there's just too much space between flame and the roll of paper towels, and why would you unfurl them and turn the flame on, then leave it all unattended.

No drilling of holes, nor mounting of anything underneath the cabinet.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5042.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	288956  
Old 07-09-2017, 06:46 AM   #1195
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Cross-posting this pic below for the benefit of those who might not be interested in reading refrigerator threads. Our new Vitrifrigo fridge is finally in, and I managed to snag excess cabinet width for use as a blanket storage slot. Remember the small-space mantra (and the Alamo): Not a single inch of space wasted.

Blog post here.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #1196
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Any concerns about reducing the air flow around the new fridge? Is there a ventilation path out of the AI in the back of that cabinet space, or does the hot air from the fridge exit out the front?

Edit -- oops -- I guess your feet were sticking out of the place where you have a (louvered?) ventilation door?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #1197
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Any concerns about reducing the air flow around the new fridge? Is there a ventilation path out of the AI in the back of that cabinet space, or does the hot air from the fridge exit out the front?

Thanks,

Peter
I cover that in the blog post, with a picture. The venting is 100% out the back, into the older 3-way fridge "chimney". The blanket doesn't impinge on that area.

We kept the chimney in part because it is so danged hot in our area that, even with a 2-way fridge, we need the maximum ventilation possible. Some people do vent 2-way fridges into the interior spaces of their rigs. They typically live in milder climates.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:22 AM   #1198
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks see my edit. Nice job on that retrofit! We had to replace a Dometic on our 25' AS back in the 90's. No fun but it gave us many more years of use.

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:10 AM   #1199
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Nice write up. When you say this fridge is 2-way. Is it just D.C. And AC?

I'm wondering what is the DC amp draw? If it feasible to boon dock for any length of time with this fridge?

I saw in your post that it drained your batteries 11% in one night. What size are your lithium battery bank again?

Please keep us posted, very interested in power consumption etc.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #1200
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Thanks very much for the (as usual) excellent write up.
I'll keep it in mind for possible future mods (with appropriate battery/solar).

Speaking of solar, did you ever run across the factory solar wiring that it says is installed? The only mention I have from Airstream refers to rear bath.

Thanks
mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote