Old 02-25-2016, 11:12 AM   #827
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
We ended up with shoe bags from dress shoes that are no longer around. One holds the remotes when not in use with the draw string tied to a stereo compartment swing up door hinge. When in use, the remote goes in the magazine rack beside the bed. Gets returned to the bag in the morning. Bag does fall out when door is opened after a ride down the road, but since it is attached, no problem.

Surprised AS does not install a lip on the narrow shelf in front of the electronics to hold the remotes in place. Guess that would stifle creativity and dump the loop and hook market. Pat

Old 02-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #828
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So, heading for two weeks to the Beach Campground at Edisto Beach State Park, I had the bright idea to purchase a length of tablecloth material at Hobby Lobby to use as a mat outside my door. Home decor fabrics are always 30% off there.

Anyone who has camped on sand...especially with a dog ...knows how difficult it is to keep the sand out of the interior.

I bought 2 yards, and 3 would have been better, but this is the 2 in place....adequate, tho barely, it will do for now.

Breezy here, I tacked down two of the corners....four would be better, but I only have two stakes.

One could buy an entire plastic tablecloth, but that is more than I personally need. These two yards were $7, so can't beat the price.

The fabric can be swept or shaken, even tossed in a washing machine, and will provide a dry area to step on if it happens to rain. This is black, with a white sort of medallion print. Color coordination is good.

It will also take up a fraction of the space needed for a rug the same size, or one of the commercial, under-awning mats.

I am pleased, and will pick up 3 yards of this next time I am in Hobby Lobby.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	358.8 KB
ID:	257990  

Old 03-04-2016, 04:04 PM   #829
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
A small but well-appreciated convenience... I found this light-gauge, light-colored apron in World Market for 20 bucks and let me tell you why I like this one as opposed to others:

--I eat a lot of one-handed meals behind the wheel - and by that I mean I can't recall a trip when I wasn't eating while driving. Cloth napkins in the lap tend to dislodge and don't protect the front of the shirt. We Texans must have our burritos and BBQ, especially on the road, so good protection is essential. Yup - I'm often wearing an apron behind the wheel.

-- Most aprons make one look like Grandma OR Betty Boop OR they are chef's thick canvas aprons which can get very hot while driving. Remember your butt, rear thighs and back are against Ultraleather. If you have canvas over your chest, belly and front thighs, you might be feeling it and not in a good way.

-- This one is very light fabric and breathable and (important) not dark in color because dark colors can absorb sunlight coming through the windshield and can get very hot. I put it through the washer and dryer and it stood up well. Lighter fabric also means smaller storage area required. I could have lived without the front stripes but they remind me of pavement markings, so it's a propos of road trips.

Hopefully no more strange looks at me when I pull up to a state park kiosk driving a humongous van and wearing my former bizarre apron. This one is more understated.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #830
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
A small but well-appreciated convenience... I found this light-gauge, light-colored apron in World Market for 20 bucks and let me tell you why I like this one as opposed to others:

Hopefully no more strange looks at me when I pull up to a state park kiosk driving a humongous van and wearing my former bizarre apron. This one is more understated.
Obviously not a guy thing. Many of us just wear scruffy clothes where one more stain won't make a difference…
…besides, doggies are more likely to play with us if we smell like food!

But seriously, since I'd look utterly silly wearing an apron while driving I just wear doctor's scrubs, which are excellent all-around casual wear.

Though now that I think of it, patient's scrubs left untied in the back makes excellent aprons as long as you're not naked under them! Or unless you've got a really cute butt…
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #831
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Mama used to call it a bib!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:24 PM   #832
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I love a multifunction piece of gear!
Old 03-05-2016, 05:27 AM   #833
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Though now that I think of it, patient's scrubs left untied in the back makes excellent aprons as long as you're not naked under them! Or unless you've got a really cute butt…
They are for sale in the retail market, a wide variety of patient scrubs and gowns. Many of them are too short for this purpose, however. Nobody cares about covering up their knees during chemo. And the ob/gyn-wear tends to be two piece which is useless for this purpose.

I have an intention to make an extra-long apron, which looks more like a fashion accessory than an apron, for this purpose. But I haven't gotten to it yet. Because yes, it does look strange to be driving an Interstate in an apron. Male or female.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:20 AM   #834
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
OK, how about this?

Take the basic idea of a patient's hospital gown, open in the back, knee length, while standing. That would be long enough to cover everything at risk of food spills while sitting. Delete the sleeves and just leave shoulder straps of a convenient width (unless you're a truly sloppy eater, then you'd need full-length sleeves). What is left is an apron that would protect clothing while eating and that could easily be put on or taken off right at the vehicle door--or while actually in the seat for that matter. Choose a color that does not attract attention, maybe matching the car's interior, and who's to know you're wearing an apron.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #835
2 Rivet Member

Rohnert Park , California
Every time I have to put on a hospital gown, I have to futz with my beard in the front to get it on. Then, when the doctor or nurse come in, I always say that I wish Vera Wang would design hospital gowns.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:29 AM   #836
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
<< That "Huh!" feeling you get when you thought you were the only one on earth bothered by a particular minor annoyance, only to find that other people have either given it thought, or are potentially interested in giving it thought >>

I will say that I intend to take the light-fabric apron and delete the long ties that are supposed to be knotted and tied in regular bows. I'm going to shorten them to the appropriate length and install Velcro fasteners instead. This is because I don't want lumpy bows behind my neck or waist as I'm in the driver's seat.

And I also don't like long dangling ties because they tend to get hooked in the seatbelt or arm rest crease when I get up. Common scenario: Stop at a red light, bolt out of the seat to grab a granola bar inside five seconds, only to --SCHTOING!-- get yanked backwards because the tie got caught on the seat. Note to self: "Aw, geez, I just reached the end of my apron leash AGAIN."

And then maybe with Velcro I could rip it off more quickly when an actual human approaches the Interstate. Me? Apron? No. You must have been mistaken.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #837
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
So, heading for two weeks to the Beach Campground at Edisto Beach State Park, I had the bright idea to purchase a length of tablecloth material at Hobby Lobby to use as a mat outside my door. Home decor fabrics are always 30% off there.

Anyone who has camped on sand...especially with a dog ...knows how difficult it is to keep the sand out of the interior.

I bought 2 yards, and 3 would have been better, but this is the 2 in place....adequate, tho barely, it will do for now.

Breezy here, I tacked down two of the corners....four would be better, but I only have two stakes.

One could buy an entire plastic tablecloth, but that is more than I personally need. These two yards were $7, so can't beat the price.

The fabric can be swept or shaken, even tossed in a washing machine, and will provide a dry area to step on if it happens to rain. This is black, with a white sort of medallion print. Color coordination is good.

It will also take up a fraction of the space needed for a rug the same size, or one of the commercial, under-awning mats.

I am pleased, and will pick up 3 yards of this next time I am in Hobby Lobby.

Maggie
An update....

The tablecloth fabric has been difficult to keep in place on this windy beach campground, so today I picked up some of these fabric staples one uses in the garden....have a handful of these in around the perimeter, and we are good to go.

That sucker ain't gonna move.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	258330  
Old 03-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #838
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Rumpl is attempting to kill me with cuteness factor and it's working. These are "beer blankets" - three of them tossed for free into my latest order as a customer appeasement measure because they missed their delivery deadline on an unrelated item. They unpack to become drink koozies, and I have to admit, they take up a lot less space than the rigid foam varieties. I can snap them around the aluminum bar in the "spice rack" of the Interstate's kitchen and thus they become one more item that I no longer have to rummage for.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-IMG_2705.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	258467  
Old 03-09-2016, 08:46 AM   #839
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
And speaking of rummage prevention, I found this mini-journal in World Market for $1.99 (mostly hidden behind the turn signal in this photo). It's so insignificant as a consumer item that it doesn't even make their website, but it's in the greeting cards and stationery section. The elastic loop is intended to cinch the journal tightly closed, but it can used to hook the book over any of the driver control levers. I no longer have to haul out my 3-ring "take with" binder to record gas (diesel) mileage - I will just jot it down in this. The little journal is cord-bound, not adhesive-bound, so it won't fall apart in our subtropical humidity.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160307_NOTEBOOK.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	258468  
Old 03-10-2016, 01:40 AM   #840
2 Rivet Member

Rohnert Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I no longer have to haul out my 3-ring "take with" binder to record gas (diesel) mileage - I will just jot it down in this. The little journal is cord-bound, not adhesive-bound, so it won't fall apart in our subtropical humidity.
It looks like it would be a great place to keep the "ready to go" checklist.