Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2017, 09:39 AM   #1161
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I highly recommend those Helinox chairs I mentioned above in this thread. Used them on two outings now. I have two of the sunset, bigger, and two of the chair two rockers. Nothing no like being able to rock by the fire. Kid approve me as well. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7850.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	380.0 KB
ID:	287704
Old 06-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #1162
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
I highly recommend those Helinox chairs I mentioned above in this thread. Used them on two outings now. I have two of the sunset, bigger, and two of the chair two rockers. Nothing no like being able to rock by the fire. Kid approve me as well. Attachment 287704

I have these chairs as well. I find them perfect for the beach, since they are so easy to carry. I would not want him to be my dedicated camping chairs though because there is not all that much back support, but they make great small spare chairs to keep in the trailer in case guests come by, and they work great for kids as well!

Make no mistake though, these chairs are fantastic for their original intended purpose: backpacking or other hike in camping. I know that when I am back packing for extended periods, there is nothing more luxurious than having a chair with a back on it. I have been able to lighten up the rest of my gear enough to allow me to carry this one "heavy" luxury! It's just that if you have the room to carry something larger, you will enjoy that larger thing a little bit more!

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #1163
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I haven't used them much yet, but felt like the back support was fine. We don't sit a lot, usually at night by the fire. I will keep that in mind.

These would be a luxury for backpacking for sure.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:53 AM   #1164
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I'm not sure how many other small-spacers will need this kind of info, but I found a nice small (10 liter) military-grade gasoline can manufactured by Wavian (link). It was recommended by a forum user and I can't recall if it was Air Forums or another one.

We talked about carrying fuel on the exterior of the Interstate on the thread that discusses extra propane, and most people agreed that it's not the best idea, for safety reasons. However, where we're planning to go later this summer, we'll need a chainsaw (already bought a Stihl) and a gas can as we're a 20-mile round trip to the nearest gas station, which is itself an outpost only open for limited hours.

If we have to occasionally mount a gas can on our hitch carrier for local trips, we might as well make it the safest one we can buy. I like this model because it has strip-welded handles in triplicate, which means it's easy to chain for security. And the dispensing design is ingenious - much better than the average consumer model.

We'll also use this when we eventually get to the point of removing the ball-and-chain Onan propane generator in favor of a portable Honda that we take with us only when needed.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #1165
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Northern California , California
These are pretty nice Jerry cans.
jldmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #1166
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
For the amount of backwoods wood cutting we do while boondocking, I went with an ago lithium battery chain saw. No gas and I can charge it from the AS or the sun. This thing is a beast and perfect for camping. This way no gas needed. Have sun, will charge.

https://egopowerplus.com/collections...-inch-chainsaw
Old 06-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #1167
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
For the amount of backwoods wood cutting we do while boondocking, I went with an ago lithium battery chain saw. No gas and I can charge it from the AS or the sun. This thing is a beast and perfect for camping. This way no gas needed. Have sun, will charge.

https://egopowerplus.com/collections...-inch-chainsaw
How interesting!! And you find its operation to be satisfactory? We never even considered a battery-powered model because such tools have historically amounted to jokes lobbed at unsuspecting consumers - underpowered and incapable.

We need to thin out a large number of small softwood (spruce) trees (mostly < 6"; all <12") over several acres (it's a long-term job to be tackled in stages).
Old 06-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #1168
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Ego makes good products. I even have the battery powered mower. Yes. It works fine. Now if I was going out to clear an acre or something, gas is the way to go.

But for deadfall and fire wood cutting it works great. I cut down three aspen trees with a 10-14 inch base, then actually cut in firewood lengths the entire trees. And still had battery power. You still need chain oil.

Go to the Ego site for reviews. Also, Ego is sold at Home Depot. Check out the reviews or go to Home Depot. They usually have the chain saw in stock.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #1169
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Very nice gas can and chain saw thanks to both of you for good recommendations.

The lithium powered tools now available far out perform the previously rechargeable tools.

Many of the reality based home improvement shows are using the lithium tools with good success.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:49 AM   #1170
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I should also mention that there are many other brands of reliable lithium tools, like Ryobi. I like the Ego products and they have have worked well. I also have a Ryobi weed whacker that is great.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:51 AM   #1171
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I need to carry fuel for my motorcycle sometimes also. My hitch carrier doesn't really have room to mount the can on it- and I rarely use a trailer anymore.
I have a couple I use, one I carry in a pack on the bike for longer rides- very nice, but expensive
They don't leak, have a nice funnel (my trials bikes have tiny little fuel filter caps) and will fit in the rear door pocket.
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...24540-543.html

I've carried a 'safety type' fuel can in the bathroom- with vent open. To keep any possible fumes from inside the van. But I don't like it inside.
Further issues are carrying fuel on the ferries- but I don't do that much anymore.

Mark
Lotus54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:31 AM   #1172
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
After some debate last night, hubster and I decided to stick with the gasoline chain saw, even though it presents hazards for transportation in our Interstate.

The issue with the battery-powered chain saws... it's not just a matter of the available power and recharge-ability (which we would be able to achieve with our Interstate's on-board lithium system). It's also a question of expected lifespan. I owned a DeWalt drill several years ago and they simply stopped making batteries to fit it. DeWalt is a good brand, but I had to throw away a perfectly good drill for lack of ability to replace the batteries when the originals stopped holding adequate charge. It was only a few years old and it was in perfect working order, but DeWalt had moved on to a different drill body shape and the new batteries were incompatible.

So that left a bad taste in my mouth regarding battery-operated tools. A drill is less than a hundred bucks so that loss was limited, but if that same thing happened to a bigger investment such as a chain saw, I would be absolutely furious. I'm not sure that I trust the manufacturers to support their product lines over a reasonable future time frame.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:55 AM   #1173
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Interblog we had the same thing g happen and it was very frustrating. I think programmed obsolescence was the term somebody used.

Landfills are not endless, recyclers aren't always taking what you have and we don't want to operate in a disposable society.

We will be looking into that gas can.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:05 AM   #1174
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Understand your thinking. I think EGO is around for good, 10 years and running. The other great thing has been every new product is backward compatible so you can still use older products with new batteries etc. I'm never going back to gas.... operation and maintenance is way easier. Also, my wife who is not very mechanically inclined can use these when I am not home with no issue.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #1175
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Battery packs that can be disassembled can usually have the individual cells replaced as they are usually available on the interweb.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #1176
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Battery packs that can be disassembled can usually have the individual cells replaced as they are usually available on the interweb.
Yes, and LB_3 and I talked about that. But would we want the hassle of doing so? Especially with all the other projects we've continually got going on? Do we even want to research whether the chain saw's existing battery enclosure is sonic-welded to the point where we could not re-use it to incorporate new batteries down the road if we need to? Did it incorporate generic or proprietary battery configurations? And while we're at it, do we want to support manufacturers who rely on tricking consumers into repurchasing via this kind of built-in obsolescence?

Too many questions. We went with gasoline.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:45 PM   #1177
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
There are companies that make aftermarket batteries for pretty cheap prices. I bought one recently for a 20 year old Makita right angle drill. It was assembled locally so was not even Chinese! And it cost something like $25.

As for chainsaws, I am too afraid of the regular ones to own one. I have the black and decker electric loppers. With their lithium battery they last more than I do. And it cuts through branches up to 4 to 5 inches.

I also have a ton of other battery operated lawn equipment including the expensive Stihl ones. It is such a pleasure to pick one up and have it instantly work. I hate, hate maintaining gasoline engines. It seems at any time a couple of them are not working.

My recommendation would be strongly for battery operated one. THere are tons of high voltage ones now that are cheaper than the Stihl.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #1178
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Just to pile on here: there are tons of companies that do battery refurbishment and it's an EXCELLENT deal (and more sustainable).

The only negative is that it puts a cramp in the new tool acquisition cycle. But if you buy good tools at the start you won't want to replace them anyway....
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:19 PM   #1179
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Yes, and LB_3 and I talked about that. But would we want the hassle of doing so? Especially with all the other projects we've continually got going on? Do we even want to research whether the chain saw's existing battery enclosure is sonic-welded to the point where we could not re-use it to incorporate new batteries down the road if we need to? Did it incorporate generic or proprietary battery configurations? And while we're at it, do we want to support manufacturers who rely on tricking consumers into repurchasing via this kind of built-in obsolescence?

Too many questions. We went with gasoline.
I was referring to your Dewalt drill which can be disassembled and cells replaced. There are places that will do that also. BTW my 20 year old Dewalt 18V drill and saw batteries are still sold by both Dewalt and the aftermarket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
I hate, hate maintaining gasoline engines. It seems at any time a couple of them are not working.
A lot of poorly functioning small gas engines is due to the ethanol scam. Even tho most of them today state E10 is acceptable, sooner or later there will be problems. Since I switched to pure gas, no more problems.

Now returning to the Small space living thread.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:03 PM   #1180
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I've said it before - our Interstate just keeps getting bigger and bigger! I'm finally finished with our 48-square-foot outdoor living space addition (or larger if I extend the awning to its full length), and it's a small-space win as far as pack size is concerned. Details in this rather lengthy blog post:

DIY AWNING SCREEN FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE