Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2017, 03:09 PM   #1141
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I've been on the look-out for an analogous item that will allow me to store over a month's worth of spices. The zip closures on those pockets wouldn't work for that application. And the purpose-built spice organizers... most of them are not moisture-proof, which is a big no-no in my neck of the woods. I'm figuring I'm going to have to build an organizer myself using Nalgene bottles.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:34 PM   #1142
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Container Store has plastic containers in all sizes, and I have some that are smaller than pill bottles that are airtight and keep such things well.

Maggie
Old 06-11-2017, 05:59 PM   #1143
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Assuming you are talking about dried spices in the regular glass bottles, why not take your favorites in a Sterilite hinge-top box like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-180...ged+containers

We use this size all over our FC20, as it is big enough to hold a fair amount, and small enough to stack in our various upper and lower cabinets. Having the top attached is very handy for some uses. Amazon has them for $22.99 for 6!

The issue of spice racks brings back fond memories of our 1985 25' which had a great spice rack right above the stove, with its own tambour sliding door. Filled it once with all kinds of spice bottles for the season, and everything stayed in place through thick and thin.

Cheers,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #1144
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I like these for spices. Can mount them out if way.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N5...ogL&ref=plSrch
Old 06-11-2017, 06:30 PM   #1145
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
I like these for spices. Can mount them out if way.
. . .
You realize this thread is about furnishing the inside of an AS Interstate RV, not an AS trailer? Very limited storage and counter space.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #1146
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
You realize this thread is about furnishing the inside of an AS Interstate RV, not an AS trailer? Very limited storage and counter space.

Have a buddy that travels around in a roadtek RV, about same size as interstate, he is a chili cook off guy. He has this unit hanging on the wall or one similar with the magnets. Works great and saves counter space. YMMV.... just a suggestion.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:06 AM   #1147
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I use the magnetic mounted spice tins for fuses, hardware, and other odds and ends. They live on the magnetic organizer board that I mounted behind the driver's seat. They are not moisture-proof, so I would not use them for spices.

Most of the options on the market are not moisture-proof, with Nalgene bottles being the exception. GSI makes smaller spice / salt / pepper containers of which I have two, and they're great, but the small quantities they hold are only sufficient for short trips.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:15 AM   #1148
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I tried keeping spices in similar magnetic metal containers from IKEA. It was a disaster. Even though the tops seemed very tight, enough moisture got in to clump the spices and ultimately corrode the metal. I ended up throwing the containers away.

The magnetic containers would be great for things like fuses.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:03 AM   #1149
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We have a high degree of ethnic, racial, and religious diversity in our extended family. One of the most practical outcomes of this is that we have evolved tremendous variability in the foods we prepare. Because of this, proper spicing became a big hairy friggin' deal for me - perhaps moreso than for the average person. Cooking for multiple cultures simultaneously requires some skill and a lot of resources, LOL.

Normally with traveling, I simplify those logistics by cooking in advance and bringing everything with us in frozen form - hence our custom Yeti hitch carrier. But this year I'm looking at an extended boondocking where I am (gulp) going to have to cook some things in real time, without the benefit of my carefully-curated kitchen.

To that end, I'm still working on a method for making the spice issue maximally small-space-efficient for use in the bush. I don't yet know what that will consist of, but there will be no moisture penetration and spice caking issues with whatever I put together.

Meanwhile, in the spirit of "I never do anything half way", I'll leave you with a pic of my spice racks at home. Three custom-built rack units with laboratory-grade glass jar-ware, all of which have Teflon-lined lids.

It's a bit messy right now because I have some semi-custom spice blends stacked in plastic vendor bags when they should have been transferred to glassware. But I've been working on our no-see-um "outdoor room" to surround the existing Interstate awning, and it's such a massive project that many other household tasks have not gotten done.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:28 AM   #1150
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yikes, IB!

You put my very high level of organization to absolute shame.

I looked on the Container Store website for my small plastic cylinders, and didn't see them, but that doesn't mean they don't still carry them.

As I said, my smallest are about the same height, but smaller in circumference, than a small pill bottle...a tube with a tight lid, basically... and I have these same type containers from the very small to large enough for a 5lb bag of flour.

They are clear, and I like that they are not rigid, but have a bit of give, are rather thin walled and without accoutrements such as gripping bits, handles, etc....more space economical.

If you have a Container Store near you, I would suggest a good browse, and take your checkbook as there will be lots to tempt you.

The cylinders could be tucked into something fabric, with strips of elastic sewn in to hold them, then rolled up and secured with Velcro.

Maggie
Old 06-12-2017, 09:22 AM   #1151
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post

If you have a Container Store near you, I would suggest a good browse, and take your checkbook as there will be lots to tempt you.

The cylinders could be tucked into something fabric, with strips of elastic sewn in to hold them, then rolled up and secured with Velcro.

Maggie
A Container Store just opened in the Clear Lake area of greater Houston. I like to joke that it was my cumulative purchases at the Westheimer location (Houston Galleria) that allowed them to finance their new Clear Lake store.

At this point, I am leaning toward incorporating a bunch of Nalg into a carrying case of some kind. Or perhaps a holder mounted under the galley counter. Or if LB_3 weren't so tall, maybe I could velcro them to the ceiling.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #1152
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
i have often wondered how prescription bottles would work in your climate.

I am sure they are not hermetic, but they have to be pretty airtight and thankfully cheap!

They work well in mine, but we have fairly low humidity and temperatures compared to yours.... Or maybe something that holds matches. Maybe a pelican case?
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:44 PM   #1153
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Some people do use prescription bottles - I have heard of that. But with 2 oz. Nalg being $0.99 and 4 oz. Nalg being $1.49 each at Container Store, for me it's not worth thinking about. I got a slew of them today when I was out getting my spare Interstate key programmed.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:23 AM   #1154
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I really need to stay out of housewares departments , but spied these Farberware nesting bowls at the Meier store and they came home with me for my Interstate.

They nest with their lids on, are pretty colors, and inexpensive @ $7.99 for the set.

Googling them, I don't find the exact item tho these that are similar listed as "prep bowls", also priced at least twice what I paid for them.

The ones I bought are not what I would call prep bowls, @ 1 cup, 2 cup, 3 cup and 4 cup. The outer bowl is also red, should you look for them.

I would like the bowls not to be hard sided, but their colors and other space efficiency qualities will get me past that.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4921.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	287474  
Old 06-13-2017, 05:35 AM   #1155
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
These are mine, nested and ready to store....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4923.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	287475  
Old 06-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #1156
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Concentrates

In hot weather, I need cold beverages to keep me cool, my favorites (besides water) being iced tea and coffee...the latter heavy with cold milk and a squirt of chocolate syrup for do-it-yourself iced mocha.

I almost always make my own, and have started leaving the concentrate from my teabags or decaf instant coffee undiluted for my not-enormous home frig.

It has worked out very well, and I'll do the same when traveling this summer.

Pour into glass, add cold liquid and ice to desired strength.

Much less space taken up for more glasses of beverage in our little refrigerators, and these Sistema Juice Jugs hold 1 quart and fit very nicely into the door shelves.

They also come in a variety of color accents...I have a purple and a cream colored one.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2017, 01:09 PM   #1157
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
You realize there are lots of good ideas in this thread that can be utilized in a AS trailer, as well as an Interstate? Is it bad thing to have ideas posted which are applicable to both? I just hate to see someone discouraged or criticized for posting a good idea.

ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #1158
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Tis true, this thread really is about all spaces small, even tho it started in the BVan subforum, and lots of contributors here are in trailers of varying sizes.

Even the largest Airstreams are small living spaces, and we've had lots of good ideas over the years.

Maggie
Old 06-17-2017, 07:35 AM   #1159
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Yes, and no, on the trailer vs. B-van comparison. There's small, and then there's SMALL. The 22-foot Interstate is SMALL. Capacity-wise it's closer to a Sport or a Basecamp than any of the other Airstream trailers (remember, a big part of that 22 feet is consumed by the engine compartment and cab). Even in the case of the shorter versions of the other trailer models, remember that trailer owners still have storage space in their TVs, which themselves have to be fairly large to do the towing job safely.

My husband and I had a good chuckle while checking out the... I think it was FC or Classic but not one of the large ones... that was on display at the recent Houston RV Show. It felt like the Airstream equivalent of a 3,500-square-foot McMansion. It represented a totally different storage equation.

Point being, some of the small space suggestions that work for trailers wouldn't work at all for Interstates. Camp chairs are a great example. Trailer owners generally have a wider range of choices.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #1160
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Point being, some of the small space suggestions that work for trailers wouldn't work at all for Interstates. Camp chairs are a great example. Trailer owners generally have a wider range of choices.
After 5 months of owning an Interstate, I still have boxes of "stuff" that accumulated in the Classic 28 since 2005. I have flea marketed, given away, and trashed a lot of stuff and the boxes are still there in the garage.

As far as chairs go, we have 2 Pico chairs that I bought for the Classic 28 that fit nicely in the Interstate. Not cheap; about $100 each. They are a bit heavy, but they are comfortable, sturdy, and fold into bags that act as extra pockets when hung on the chair backs. My 2 Pico's store flat under the twin bed head between the battery box and the back door with several flat items in top. They are narrow enough to not impede access to the under-floor box.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote