Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2017, 07:21 AM   #1101
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Clever, as always, IB.

Maggie
Old 04-27-2017, 09:34 AM   #1102
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Great looking, as you said! Not sure the Velcro can be counted on to hold the table to the door in the wildest of side-to-side motions on a rough road, but it should settle back down and re-adhere IMO. Very creative solution.
LOL, I've already road-tested it on some rotten-a$$ed blown-out dirt roads! I bought outdoor heavy gauge Velcro and it's like Velcro on steroids - it does NOT let go. It's so new that I cannot even find an accurate Internet listing for the product, so here's a pic. It's also gray, not the usual black, so when the table is off the wet-bath door, the Velcro patch does not stick out as an ugly thing; it kinda blends in.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:14 PM   #1103
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Good to know about. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-...cro+heavy+duty

It comes in various shapes and sizes, in black and clear, including 1 7/8" diameter "coins" which could be very handy IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:36 AM   #1104
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
That's what I used to hang my picture on the wall of our Bambi. Has stayed up through winter cold, summer heat, and 2000 miles of driving. I cut the velcro into strips the same width as the frame and went around the edges with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2473.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	284301  

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:12 AM   #1105
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Too cute! Too kyooooottt!!! (channeling Dana Carvey in his 1995 HBO special)

It's the smaller of the IKEA Nordrana basket set of 2 for ten bucks. It's the precise shade of T1N Sprinter interior gray.

I used to hang a small Rubbermaid car organizer product called a "vent catch-all" in this location but it was only large enough to accommodate my iPhone 7 Plus. This will also hold other odds and ends that I need to be able to reach, such as sunglasses.

I haven't decided what I'll do with the larger basket yet, but it can be hung in many interior locations. As usual, the flexible / squishable form of the product is the key. These things are far more versatile in a small space than rigid products.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:01 AM   #1106
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Nice!

I have crocheted a couple of something very similar, using single crochet and double strands of yarn, and hang them with S hooks from the bar on the spice racks in the galley.

I keep teabags and TJ's instant packets of coffee w/ cream and sugar in mine.

Maggie
Old 05-01-2017, 07:46 AM   #1107
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
That one is narrower but just shy of 16 inches long, so it's not compact. I don't consider it an improvement space-wise.
I needed a toaster for the staff kitchen where I work, and I got a small — and cheap — one at Dollar General ... works great, cost me $10.

It is small and compact ... smallest toaster I've seen.

Next time I hit the road with my Bambi ... I'm taking this little guy with me.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #1108
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Today in First World problems...

The more I use my $20 Grand Trunk hammock (pictured below) the less I like it. It packs up very small which is great for storage in the Interstate, but it's the type of nylon that has no "give" to it, so it creates major pressure points. We were walking back from a hike through the local campground here and another couple had strung up their hammocks, one of which was a brand sold on Amazon called Live Infinitely. $30 all in, including tree straps, and it seemed to be stretchier and more body-forming (the lady invited me to try hers out, which I did but only briefly because I was dirty). So, that's my next investigation; I ordered one. I sure wish I had the space in the Interstate to store a big Mayan hammock. Those are wonderful. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1541.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	598.0 KB
ID:	284901
Old 05-07-2017, 10:29 PM   #1109
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Check out Eno Hammocks, at REI, awesome, a little pricier, but you know what they say, you get what you pay for!
Old 05-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #1110
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
My issue with REI and with Cabela's and every other place I've been to is that the hammocks are on display hanging vertically from the ceiling and one cannot try them out for size, fit, or feel.

No doubt this practice has prevented numerous skull fractures and millions of dollars in assessed liability from small children playing unsupervised on outstretched, horizontal display hammocks. But it still leaves me with the challenge of assessing the fabric quality and construction efficacy.

With REI, I could always return the hammock if I didn't like it, and if the el cheapo Amazon hammock I ordered proves to be not fit for purpose, that'll be my next step.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:37 PM   #1111
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
That's what I like about REI, they have changed their policy, but you can still pretty much return anything if it's not abused.

Also, if you haven't tried a garage sale at REI, highly recommend it. Great deals on almost new equipment...
Old 05-09-2017, 04:25 AM   #1112
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Small Space Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
My issue with REI and with Cabela's and every other place I've been to is that the hammocks are on display hanging vertically from the ceiling and one cannot try them out for size, fit, or feel.

No doubt this practice has prevented numerous skull fractures and millions of dollars in assessed liability from small children playing unsupervised on outstretched, horizontal display hammocks. But it still leaves me with the challenge of assessing the fabric quality and construction efficacy.

With REI, I could always return the hammock if I didn't like it, and if the el cheapo Amazon hammock I ordered proves to be not fit for purpose, that'll be my next step.

Your search for the best travel hammock reminded me of my two year quest for one for myself. While the portability of the compact pocket size hammocks was of great appeal....with over 375 nights camped in past two years....calculated less than 30 percent had perfect trees at our sight for hanging a hammock. This "aha" moment then lead to pursuit of all-in-one style hammock with folding stand. Finally found the Kijarro Hammock last year and ordered directly from Kijarro. Company provided excellent customer service and I could not be happier with my purchase. Now I can conceivably use my hammock anywhere we camp. Last year even toted it to a beach location at Lake Tahoe for an ultimate relaxing experience!
Here's the link: https://kijaro.com/products/all_in_one_hammock/
Be forewarned....total weight 29.7 lbs. and a bit pricey at $130 but pleasant customer service rep offered us a just missed sale at 20 percent off and always free shipping. Several nice colors available but I chose the grey and love it! Looking forward to using it again in a few days when we head to South Carolina beaches...this time with our new puppy.
Happy hammock hunting,
FCloud9
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:40 AM   #1113
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
My primary destination this year is a tract of lake front land. Not only do I have hammock trees there, I have *so many* trees that I'm currently trying to hire someone to clear me a pad for my rig so that I can park somewhere besides on the private dirt road that several of us landowners in the area share for access.

I am very pleased with the Live Infinitely hammock from Amazon. It's obviously not top quality materials at $30, but it's very good.

Most importantly, the double size is just wide enough for someone of my stature (5'6") to lie cross-wise. The best way to use a hammock is to orient oneself perpendicular to the long axis. Parallel to the long axis means that the entire length of the body contact is one continuous linear pressure point (or axis). Cross-wise means that force becomes more-or-less evenly distributed and the hammock will conform to the body, supporting all parts of it semi-equally.

Mayan hammocks are specifically designed for cross-wise use, but you'd never know that from looking at them on Instagram, where most people are using them incorrectly.

Conventional hammocks were not designed that way, but they should be, especially now that ultralight materials are being used (parachute nylon). In the past, it would have made for one heck of a bulky hammock to make a body-width one out of conventional materials. But with the thin nylon, there's hardly any added mass.

This Live Infinitely hammock comes with straps that are extensively adjustable - better than any straps I've seen previously.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:51 AM   #1114
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Have we discussed camp chairs yet? I have the standard fold out chairs that weigh 10 pounds each and break down but take up. Space. These Helinox chairs are light weight, 3 pounds, and Pack small. They even have a rocker model.

I ordered one of each to see what they are like. They are $$$$. But if they work will save space and weight.

Any experience or thoughts?

https://www.rei.com/product/112213/helinox-sunset-chair
Old 05-09-2017, 09:25 AM   #1115
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I don't like sitting on the ground so I'm always looking for a good camp chair or stool. Some are better than others but I haven't found the perfect seat yet. Next time I'm in REI I'll check out their new chairs.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:19 AM   #1116
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I don't have this new Helinox chair. I have a couple of REIs older folding chairs. They are the best folding chairs I've seen. REI sells good product in my experience, not cheap, but high quality.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #1117
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I don't want no stinkin' camp chair! We ran into chiggers so bad last weekend that they coulda killed a person! And it's only mid-May!

But check this out - I don't think they can jump this high:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1694.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	398.9 KB
ID:	285531
Old 05-14-2017, 07:53 PM   #1118
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI there is already a Best Folding Chairs thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...rs-162303.html

and a 43-page Camp Chair Mulling thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ng-120940.html

. . . which would allow this Small Space Living thread, in the Sprinter and B-Van Forum, to focus on nifty interior efficiency items and storage short-cuts.

"Camp Chairs" search results also disclose many other threads FYI:

https://www.google.com/search?q=camp...=airforums.com

FYI and FWIW

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:59 AM   #1119
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
My latest acquisition for my planned boondocking in Canada later this year is a Kelly Kettle. There are a couple of versions of this device on the market, but the Kelly Kettle is the original, as I understand it.

There's a small-space strategy behind this decision. What we have on our Canada land is an infinite supply of dead fall wood (i.e., naturally seasoned and ready to burn), plus an infinite supply of non-potable water (because the land has lake frontage). Especially with RV propane fills being almost impossible to obtain in eastern Canada, there is *no way* I'm going to fire up the Interstate's on-board hot water heater every time I need to do dishes or wash some clothing - that's just too wasteful of propane. With the Kelly Kettle Base Camp, I'll get 56 ounces of boiling water in a couple of minutes of effort, with neither my fresh tank drawn down, nor my limited propane consumed.

It'll also be good for filling my portable Sea to Summit pocket shower bag with hot water on cooler days when the sun alone cannot heat the water sufficiently, and for batch-sterilizing drinking water to re-fill our military 10 liter container. Years ago, when we were backcountry campers, the only water purification device we carried was a Jetboil - we simply boiled everything we drank rather than messing with other sterilizing equipment such as filters or UV systems. Jetboil is a wonderful product and I'll continue to use it for day hikes, but it does require the carrying of butane fuel canisters and, as such, is not appropriate for larger-volume boiling needs, such as generating hot water to wash dishes every day.

Here's a six-minute vid demonstrating this product. I got the Base Camp (largest model) in stainless steel and the construction quality is wonderful. I also got the "Basic" kit which includes cooking implements. I think it will be fun to mess around with that stuff and see if I can get good at cooking simple meals on this unusual device.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:21 PM   #1120
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Let us know how this works for you. I've seen them in mountain shop in Utah, but was reluctant to invest without an endorsement from someone who had actually used one. Lots of dead wood and lake frontage in BC, as well.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote