Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2017, 05:35 AM   #1081
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
That's another flame toaster. Post #700, page 50 in the thread above above shows the GSI version. If anyone wants a flame toaster as opposed to electric, I do recommend the GSI. I think it is probably about as good as it can get for a flame approach.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:41 AM   #1082
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I rarely get to use the angry-faced swearing-a-blue-streak smilie, but I think this is a perfect venting occasion, so here goes.

Did you know that there are SO MANY toasters on the American market that you can even buy one in the shape of a storm trooper's head?? You can also buy one that looks like Darth Vader's head! But you cannot buy a compact electric toaster designed for small-space living. Here's what I have to say about that:

Old 04-23-2017, 07:26 AM   #1083
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Maybe this. Kind of spendy.
Mixed reviews.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xbwJZE3FXr_aKw

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:32 AM   #1084
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Maybe this. Kind of spendy.
Mixed reviews.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xbwJZE3FXr_aKw
Reviews are mixed in part because it appears to be 220 V (Japanese manufacturer) and people without electrical familiarity don't understand what that means. One reviewer said it was a "fraud". No. It's just designed to be used in a country that is not America and that operates an electrical grid not compatible with America's.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:06 AM   #1085
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
The toaster thing has me searching like a mad man now.... I found several "vintage" single slice toasters, so it seems at some point they were available. Maybe you need to "restore" a toaster:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2584262...toYaAhP_8P8HAQ
Old 04-23-2017, 08:12 AM   #1086
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
During the 1940s, my dad brought hole a single slice toaster that had a motor and two toothed bars that alternately raised up and pushed the bread through from end to end. You put a slice in one end and after a time, it would tumble out the other end. Darkness was adjusted by the speed of the motor. I never saw another like it. It actually worked well because the bread moved across the heating elements and the toast was perfectly even across the bread. We used it for years. I have no idea where he found it except that the company that made it was bankrupt.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:12 AM   #1087
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Apart from open flame toasters like the one by Coleman https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-C...aster/35395560 which is cheap and packs flat, normally we'd switch to muffins or something like banana bread.

But-- we have simply buttered both sides of a slice of bread, and gently fried it in a frying pan. Sort of like how you'd make a grilled cheese sandwich. Only without the cheese. If your bread slice is extra thick, you basically have Texas toast.

Yes, it does come out greasier than actual-toast-from-a toaster. But no extra appliance required.

For added efficiency, try this with that old-fashioned breakfast "egg in the hole" (aka egg in the basket.)

Something we've not tried is an old-fashioned toasting fork. This is an upscale one that telescopes, for more compact storage. https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Craft.../dp/B0001IX05I

We tend not to use our oven, but if you do, you can easily make unbuttered toast by broiling your bread slice. You do have to watch it to avoid burning, but it comes out like toast from the toaster.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #1088
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Today in the "first world problems" category, I'm here to announce that there are no western manufacturers of single-slice, ultra-compact electric toasters - and I challenge you to prove me wrong about that.

They are sold in space-conscious societies including but not limited to Japan, Korea, Germany, and the UK, but of course those are 220 volt appliances that we cannot easily use.

There are literally *hundreds* of toaster models sold in America, but it's just the same product paradigm over and over again, with minor differences in style. Not one of them was designed with compactness in mind. It's a market hole, as it were. I sent a suggestion to Amazon that they encourage manufacturers to correct it. Amazon has a widget for such feedback.

I can certainly live a very fulfilling life without a compact toaster, but if the opportunity came for me to replace that blocky thing that takes up too much space in my galley cabinet, I'd jump on it.

I'm running internet searches to look for antique toasters, because such things were manufactured and sold here in the past, say, about 60 to 80 years ago (!!). If I find one in acceptable condition, it will likely become another DIY project as I upgrade the original wiring.

Cuisinart has one. It's $100 and on backorder though. ...

http://www.cuisinartwebstore.com/pro...ss-steel-black

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:18 AM   #1089
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I use the frying pan method to make toast. You can skip the butter and it will make dry toast.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #1090
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Small Space Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Far too many Interstate owners have found their unit flooded because someone closed the sink glass with hot water selected. The glass bumps the faucet on and eventually the gray tank overflows onto the floor....

.....found an appropriate size bolt in my parts box and threaded it into the water control. The threads do not match, but the bolt is screwed firmly in place. We now fold the spout to the left after use. It would still be possible to accidentally bump the water on, but the bolt is a visual clue as is the necessity to fold the spout to the left.

I solved problem by trimming about 1/8" off end of the handle. It's just soft brass and unscrews from the valve. Now no matter the position of valve it clears a closed sink cover.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:22 PM   #1091
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Storage boxes

I just bought two additional storage boxes for the overhead across-coach storage at the rear. The boxes lock nicely by snapping the handles over the lids. Two levels of the boxes can be stacked in the overhead storage and fill the vertical space completely so that there is no wasted space. Two of the narrower (7.5 gallons) boxes stack neatly on the wider 15 gallon box. We have 4 of the larger and 6 of the smaller boxes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170423_152804.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	374.6 KB
ID:	283965  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:02 PM   #1092
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I just bought two additional storage boxes for the overhead across-coach storage at the rear. The boxes lock nicely by snapping the handles over the lids. Two levels of the boxes can be stacked in the overhead storage and fill the vertical space completely so that there is no wasted space. Two of the narrower (7.5 gallons) boxes stack neatly on the wider 15 gallon box. We have 4 of the larger and 6 of the smaller boxes.

Nice! I use two of the same wide 15 gallon boxes to store most of my clothes (jeans, shorts and t-shirts) when traveling. That overhead across-coach storage is my closet. Spouse uses the wardrobe behind the bath.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:51 AM   #1093
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
Cuisinart has one. It's $100 and on backorder though. ...

http://www.cuisinartwebstore.com/pro...ss-steel-black

That one is narrower but just shy of 16 inches long, so it's not compact. I don't consider it an improvement space-wise.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #1094
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
The toaster thing has me searching like a mad man now.... I found several "vintage" single slice toasters, so it seems at some point they were available. Maybe you need to "restore" a toaster:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2584262...toYaAhP_8P8HAQ

The Toastmaster 1A5 is my leading choice but yes, as I noted above, if I find one in suitably good shape (i.e., no rust), it's going to be another DIY project to upgrade the wiring. They date from the 1940's mostly. What I've seen online so far tends to be rusty on the inside of the slots (hard to see in external photos).
Old 04-24-2017, 10:06 AM   #1095
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss Guy View Post
By-the-way, I save space in my cabinet by searching for liquor in bottles that are square, rather than round.
This is the opposite of space saving, but I went to a shop that built road cases for equipment and had them cut a piece of 4" thick foam to my dimensions. I then cut circles and squares and plugged the liquor bottles in. No rattle, no break, easy in/out.
I did the same for a cabinet that held the coffee maker, but in 1". Nothing moves.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #1096
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Denver , Colorado
make toast with butane chef's torch

Use chef's butane torch to make toast. Try not to set your Airstream on fire ;-). Here is a link to youtube video instructions:
My community is where, to quote Walt Whitman, I encounter"the beggar's tramp, the drunkard's stagger, the laughing party of mechanics, the escaped youth, the rich person's carriage, the fop, the eloping couple, the early market man, the hearse."
Redd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:49 AM   #1097
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
First, you should cut your bread with a chainsaw.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:21 PM   #1098
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
Table site moved

Everyone uses their AI in their own way to suit their individual needs. We never found it convenient to use the table in either of the locations provided in the floor plan of our 214 AI. We keep our folding lounge in bed mode so the back table mount was never used. We did try the front location a couple of times but for our use, it takes up to much room in the middle area between the four seats. Also, our Golden retriever tends to use this area to lie on the floor unless she is in her curbside second row seat. So, we moved the table to the drivers side and we use it for meals with the drivers seat turned around, and it makes a great place to sit in the second row seat and use a laptop or hobby work etc even when we are traveling. Last, it is out of the way of movement into or out of the van and front to back movement as well. We leave it mounted most of the time so we are not constantly assembling and disassembling the thing. We just picked up our new 2017 yesterday and I moved the table mount today.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:37 AM   #1099
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Speaking of tables, fortunately the Interstate is fairly forgiving of two-dimensional storage needs, even fairly large ones. After I modified our closet to accept a folding bike, I had to move my custom computer table to a new location, as I'd formerly been hanging it on the interior closet wall.

Our model of Interstate has a flat, rather monolithic wet bath door. With two zip ties, two light-gauge D-rings from Lowes hardware store, and two over-cabinet-door hooks, ...

...that door became the new table storage location. It's a solid perforated aluminum table, nice looking, consistent with the rest of the Interstate design, so I actually think it dresses up the plain door, in an industrial chic kind of way.

There's a small square of adhesive Velcro on the door front which grabs the table top's inward-facing Velcro computer tie-down strap (you can see the outline of it near the lower table leg bracket), to keep the table top from bouncing around on its over-the-door hanging hardware. Therefore, this mini-project was completed without making any permanent holes in, or marks on, the door. I can remove the adhesive Velcro later if I need to.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:44 AM   #1100
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great looking, as you said! Not sure the Velcro can be counted on to hold the table to the door in the wildest of side-to-side motions on a rough road, but it should settle back down and re-adhere IMO. Very creative solution.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote