Old 12-21-2015, 03:35 PM   #757
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Source? I took a look on the internet, can't find that specific product.
Check your local BORG.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:56 AM   #758
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Master Magnetics 07580 Magnetic Hook - it may not hold the 65 pounds that the product description claims, but it will hold a heavy backpack or a saturated knee-length down winter parka (also very heavy). I don't want to cram wet items into the closet - they need to be hung to dry in a way that doesn't interfere with window visibility. This thing works. Widely available including at the BORG, but Amazon has the best price I've seen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-IMG_1753.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	254960  

Old 01-02-2016, 07:13 AM   #759
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's a great idea, IB, and in a space I never thought of using.

I have one of those expandable clothes rods for the backs of cars, that I hook onto the lower base of the upper cabinets, when I have damp clothing on hangers after doing laundry, but this would be perfect for single items.

Going to get one!

Maggie
Old 01-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #760
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
A little small space laughter in small space living, although I'm sure this kind of silliness won't appeal to everyone.

First, the framing context. Texas is characterized by an abundance of what I call southern hospitality signage. Where etiquette is concerned, especially in public areas of bodily consumption and bodily elimination, one tends to see many politeness reminders that run the gamut from the delicate ("Please be a sweetie and lower the seatie") to the brusque ("Yo Mama's not here - clean up yo mess!").

Many years ago, I resolved to eventually do something creative with Texas Parks and Wildlife Department's (TPWD's) iconic contribution to this amusing social awareness campaign. I don't think there's a way to acquire one of their signs legally (state property), so I took a photograph of one, printed it in a Walgreens kiosk, trimmed it to size, and laminated it. Then mounted it using double-sided exterior tape.

It's about the only piece of decor that could possibly be made to fit in the tiny wet bath (or "phone booth" as one poster recently described it). It's analogous to a college freshman putting a beer sign on a dorm wall, but going camping makes me feel like a kid again, so there you have it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160102_TPWD_RESTROOM.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	255007  
Old 01-09-2016, 05:23 PM   #761
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
*Love* this wall pocket strip - here you see it storing a pocketknife, LED book reading light, iPhone while charging, glasses, paperback novel, and the TV remote - six items with room to spare, and it's only 0.75 inches thick. On the other side of the vehicle I have a bedside caddy, but this space here was too small for anything bulky. However, the 12 V and 110 outlets are directly above the TV, so there's no way my husband is going to store his iPhone anywhere but right here. I did not want to drill into the side of the cabinet so I mounted it with the Scotch exterior double-sided tape.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160109_POCKET_STRIP.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	255380  
Old 01-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #762
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's a great idea, and it goes so nicely with the AS decor!

Maggie
Old 01-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #763
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Interblog that magnetic strip looks great. Think we'll pick up a few of those to act as our nightstands. Nice description and the photo pulls it all together for us visual folks.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:45 AM   #764
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
As a postscript, after some personal trial and error I have found the following with respect to neodymium magnets.

For these types of applications in which an object such as a TV remote is made to be magnetic, I've found that the best magnet size is 3/8 in wide by 1/16 in thick (here is a link to my favorite source - $0.41 apiece). If you get them thinner, they shatter too easily (neodymium magnets are brittle). If you get them thicker, the object sticks out too far from the surface where you want to place it and you run the risk of knocking it loose as you pass by in the narrow space of the Interstate.

It is really easy to over-do a neodymium application. This pocket strip comes with six of its own powerful neodymiums - but they have a smaller radius and a thicker depth, which makes them very difficult to manipulate (you'll nearly bruise your fingertips prying them loose). Those come-with neodymiums would be best for (e.g.) sticking objects to the outside of the strip such as a Broadway playbill or something.

Pretty much any object that I can superglue a neodymium onto, I have done, especially because I installed that magnetic org board behind the driver's seat (shown previously in this thread). I always take a file and score the back side of the magnets and the receiving object before gluing, for best adherence.

I will caution against the newer style "gel" super glues, however. They are slower-drying and it's very easy to smear them where you least expect it. I haven't found a brand that I like that is similar to what "Krazy Glue" was when it first came out decades ago.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:05 AM   #765
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I found somewhere, too, a magnetic tape with a peel and stick backing.

Not terribly strong, but works for small things.

Maggie
Old 01-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #766
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
These little guys do an excellent job of cleaning things like the inside of our kitchen cabinet doors, which are white and tend to accumulate scuff marks.

Takes them right..off..., along with what appears to be somewhat ground in dirt that regular cleaning apparently leaves behind.

It also took a lot of hidden grime off the exterior of the AC.

I have used these very effectively on marks on the painted exterior, will now keep one inside for just these purposes.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #767
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Hi Maggie,

Great Tip!

What type of exterior marks on the paint?

Thanks,
Bugs
Old 01-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #768
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Bug bits and residue, bird strikes, road grime, etc.....anything that doesn't readily remove with elbow grease and washing.

It even took some smudges off my cutting board/work surface I keep on the counter.

Maggie
Old 01-11-2016, 08:04 AM   #769
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I found somewhere, too, a magnetic tape with a peel and stick backing.

Not terribly strong, but works for small things.

Maggie
Not terribly strong but large surface area and high coefficient of friction, which are also important. I use cut-to-size magnetic business card backers for this purpose on objects that are less suitable for neodymiums or don't need neodymiums such that I can save on the cost.

For example we have a tire gauge with a large circular dial instead of the tiny stick gauges which I find more difficult to read. That gauge needs to live on my magnetic org board so that I can put my hands on it in an instant. The surface area of the back side of the dial is large enough for a sheet magnet. The only caveat is that superglue must usually augment the existing sticky back.

Here is one such product:
ProMAG Adhesive Business Card Magnets Pack Of 25 by Office Depot & OfficeMax
Old 01-14-2016, 07:24 AM   #770
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I don't think I have a use for this--or space--but maybe you do. It will only be available for today.

Redi Top Portable Folding Table - Sport.Woot