Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2017, 04:05 PM   #1061
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I know what will go on my birthday/xmas lists. I always get complaints because I don't ask for anything specific. I have something I want in mind now.
You might want to ask Santa Claus for a twenty-dollar Luminoodle also. This thing is more fun than a barrel of monkeys - I keep finding new things to do with it. This is it sitting on one of the under-cabinet shelves I designed (blog post here). In a position such as this, it throws a diffuse light around the entire back end of the Interstate, which I prefer over any of the installed lighting (this photo has a much sharper contrast than the way it looks in real life).

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:30 PM   #1062
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Key Largo , Florida
More Luminoodle

[QUOTE=InterBlog;1923833]You might want to ask Santa Claus for a twenty-dollar Luminoodle also. This thing is more fun than a barrel of monkeys - I keep finding new things to do with it. This is it sitting on one of the under-cabinet shelves I designed

They are great - these Luminoodles. We added one below our gallery counter in our 2016 EXT-GT -- one of the color ones. It is great - lots of subtle lighting; tremendous choice of colors; and the remote is great - mounted it by the bed so the Luminoodle is last thing we turn off at night. And, yes, it provides lots of light for the interior of the coach, even with this undercounter mount. Sometimes we set it on pure bright white light when we are working in the kitchen and even though under the counter, we get lots of light in the interior as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GO-Power Install Interstate - 1 (1).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	281638   Click image for larger version

Name:	GO-Power Install Interstate - 1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	281639  

Old 03-27-2017, 06:18 AM   #1063
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
A few T1N Interstate owners might recognize this space and smile. At least in the RS model, this is the access area for the hot water tank bypass. It is necessary to unscrew the inset panel in order to access the water line valves when winterizing.

I removed two of the screws, pierced holes in strips of Velcro using a small scratch awl, put the screws through the holes, and re-installed (I prefer to put no new holes in cabinetry - I use existing fastenings to the extent possible). Now I have a lashing point for my UCO grill case. Both of the Flat Pack and Grilliput grills are within this case.

If it starts rattling on the road, I can put additional Velcro strips across the other diagonal, forming an "X" that will cinch it down more securely. And there is still room in front to stack a couple of shoes in this cubby.

This is what I mean when I say our Interstate keeps getting bigger and bigger. A few weeks ago, we had no grill in our Interstate. Now it has suddenly expanded to include not one, but two, and with no perceivable loss of space.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #1064
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Does everyone know that REI is offering 20% off one full-priced item right now? Through April 10, I believe. What an excellent time to pick up items that don't seem to go on sale very often, such as those binoculars I'd been needing. Two weeks ago, I camped overnight on the beach at Bolivar flats (blog post). I was literally surrounded by one thousand sea birds and I had zero pairs of binoculars with me. Never again. I chose the Nikon Aculon T11 8-24x25, given that I wanted a compact option for the Interstate. They don't have the magnification range of the bigger clunkers, but the ergonomics are great.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:40 PM   #1065
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Thanks InterBlog, I was not aware, but will take advantage of the 20% off! Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:23 PM   #1066
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
This type of thing is potentially of interest to a few of the ladies...

I searched a long time before finding a driving poncho for the Interstate. This falls squarely in the category of first world problems, but when you're behind the wheel six hours a day, things like this tend to take on an outsized importance.

The issue of course with the Interstate is that summer driving results in a personal freeze-boil phenomenon. Most of the van becomes extremely warm but if you're in the drivers seat, you can't escape the cab air conditioner's arctic blast of cold air directly on your torso (if you shut the driver's side vents, the rest of the van tends to gets too hot).

I had been using a regular wrap for this purpose, but it would fall off when I turned around to do a shoulder check, and/or it would bunch up behind my back. And then I would be loathe to remove hands from the wheel to adjust it. So I'd be saying to my husband, "Honey, could you please replace this thing around my shoulders?" Not very safe at highway speeds.

Anyway, I finally found a poncho that fits the need - summer weight to cut the force of the cold air blast but light enough and porous enough not to overheat the body. Plus the delicate knit folds up into a tiny wad for storage in a small space. I got it on Etsy from a maker in Lithuania. Here's a pic from her internet storefront. (Plus I've got my fingers crossed that there was no invisible middle man in the transaction and that the money went to the actual craftsperson, because I like to support micro-entrepreneurs in less fortunate countries... the news headlines about the political situation in Lithuania are not great right now).

Old 04-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #1067
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Denver , Colorado
Disabled lift chair for Interstate

Has anyone with a recent model Interstate had experience with installation of a lift chair or lift platform for a disabled person? I'm NOT asking about a wheelchair lift here. We've ordered a 2017 Interstate GT. We've owned two Airstream trailers but my wife's disability makes it too difficult for her to get into both the tow vehicle and trailer multiple times a day. There are companies that install a small screw-lift seat at the sliding door. And one company has a photo of same on its website with an Interstate. But, as usual, I like to hear from my Airstream brethren about their experiences. What can you tell me?
My community is where, to quote Walt Whitman, I encounter"the beggar's tramp, the drunkard's stagger, the laughing party of mechanics, the escaped youth, the rich person's carriage, the fop, the eloping couple, the early market man, the hearse."
Redd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:22 AM   #1068
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Colorado Springs , Colorado
German Shepherd helps with Security. But you have to store more food. LOL. Helps with cold nights however so pros and conns. Lightweight IKEA desks and furniture are also favs. People often talk about power but weight is a consideration as well. Outside things need to be stored like BBQ etc so a couple storage bins on the back bumper are great (you will need to extend it).
Kristof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #1069
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Failsafe folding faucet

Far too many Interstate owners have found their unit flooded because someone closed the sink glass with hot water selected. The glass bumps the faucet on and eventually the gray tank overflows onto the floor. I figured with two seniors in residence, it would happen to us eventually.

I found an appropriate size bolt in my parts box and threaded it into the water control. The threads do not match, but the bolt is screwed firmly in place. We now fold the spout to the left after use. It would still be possible to accidentally bump the water on, but the bolt is a visual clue as is the necessity to fold the spout to the left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170411_100741.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	283254  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #1070
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
Far too many Interstate owners have found their unit flooded because someone closed the sink glass with hot water selected. The glass bumps the faucet on and eventually the gray tank overflows onto the floor. I figured with two seniors in residence, it would happen to us eventually.

I found an appropriate size bolt in my parts box and threaded it into the water control. The threads do not match, but the bolt is screwed firmly in place. We now fold the spout to the left after use. It would still be possible to accidentally bump the water on, but the bolt is a visual clue as is the necessity to fold the spout to the left.
THANK YOU for the idea! We have the same galley sink in our Sport and have found it to have the same problem (although there's not much chance of our grey tank flooding the floor) I hate to lose valuable water. (I also suspect it's metric threads and a lock-nut will accomplish a nice-looking install. Thanks ag'in.)
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:27 AM   #1071
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Ah, the sink problem rears its ugly head again!

We resolved this via an alternative method, that being the installation of an overflow valve on our gray water tank. It might not have been worth going to this trouble, but we happened to find out about the issue while our tank was already dismounted for DIY repairs. Therefore, adding an overflow mechanism entailed only minimal scope creep. The blog post linked below references the Interstate, but the same sink was installed in many different MHs and trailers.

This method offers the added protective bonus of preventing interior overflows from ALL sources - not just the faucet handle being ill-positioned. For example, when your teenager simply uses too much water for the gray tank to accommodate (ask me how I know this).

AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE FAUCET DEFECT: TANK OVERFLOW INSTALL
Old 04-19-2017, 05:21 AM   #1072
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYi thiel's recent post about OXO containers fitting nicely in their trailer's pull-out pantry. Not sure if the Interstates have a comparable space, but we also like this line of storage containers -- durable, lids come apart for cleaning, see-through to ID contents, airtight, etc. etc.. One possible downside -- they need to be stored in such a way that you can't accidentally push on the lid's release button on the top, because they will spring open for sure, spilling the contents.

Cheers,

Peter

[click on arrow to go to the post, and see photo attachments]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
Look here! These "Good Grips Pop Containers" are a PERFECT FIT for the pull out pantry in my 25FB -- not only width wise, but they also add up to use ever available linear inch of each shelf!

Seriously: these things seem like they are absolutely made for the pantry in my trailer.

The bad news? They are not cheap!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:46 PM   #1073
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I really prefer paper myself ... for novels, magazines and recipes, however, where space is limited, I use the iPad and Kindle. You just can't have everything! By-the-way, I save space in my cabinet by searching for liquor in bottles that are square, rather than round. If I can't find what I want, I re-label used bottles to hold my "nectar". I haven't tried the smaller "box" wines, but think that is a good use of space as well, and they don't break!
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #1074
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Small Space Living

Airstream and On The Go Food Storage for Healthy Eating

Each year since our Airstream purchase I explore packing, organizing and storage options and alternatives to improve optimal organization while "keeping it simple". Last years best addition was purchase of two (color coded for me and hubby) Pack To Go silicone bento style lunch boxes with matching tote. Using these for lunch on the road, picnics, in backpack for hikes, day at the beach/lake, and even food storage in our small Dometic frig! Also, found they are TSA approved and invaluable for 13 hour flight! Additionally, they are environmentally friendly and easy to clean after use.

Pack To Go Lunch Box
https://www.packtogo.net/

Now for this year.....exploring new additions for improved food storage, particularly in the small frig. I might add that I came upon this item- Monbento boxes ( see below) while trying to improve my diet to include more healthy eating. Although, I've tried vegetarian without success....always trying to work toward more plant based diet....came upon YouTube "Pick Up Limes" created by a genuine nutritionist and she recently shared her Bento box source.

Enjoy the following links:

Monbento
http://us.monbento.com/en/

Monbento Unboxed

https://youtu.be/XlajFMv8eu4

Amazon Link

https://www.amazon.com/monbento-MB-O.../dp/B009QTBG5E

Sadia's "Pick Up Limes" YouTube Channel

Healthy Lunches

https://youtu.be/CaItdegkoNE

Healthy Breakfasts

https://youtu.be/DtZ1EjV0EEw

Healthy Snacks

https://youtu.be/8Cq19bdJ2nI

Will update after completing my purchase of Monbento and report back after first travel use.

All the best,
FCloud9

Footnote: while we all know how inexpensive plastic storage boxes are easy...they do not last forever, many are not microwave safe and when we toss them they add to our waste problem....always looking for more eco friendly and BPA free food storage. I have found with use of Pack To Go- sandwich bags not needed, little use for plastic wrap as well.
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:45 AM   #1075
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Today in the "first world problems" category, I'm here to announce that there are no western manufacturers of single-slice, ultra-compact electric toasters - and I challenge you to prove me wrong about that.

They are sold in space-conscious societies including but not limited to Japan, Korea, Germany, and the UK, but of course those are 220 volt appliances that we cannot easily use.

There are literally *hundreds* of toaster models sold in America, but it's just the same product paradigm over and over again, with minor differences in style. Not one of them was designed with compactness in mind. It's a market hole, as it were. I sent a suggestion to Amazon that they encourage manufacturers to correct it. Amazon has a widget for such feedback.

I can certainly live a very fulfilling life without a compact toaster, but if the opportunity came for me to replace that blocky thing that takes up too much space in my galley cabinet, I'd jump on it.

I'm running internet searches to look for antique toasters, because such things were manufactured and sold here in the past, say, about 60 to 80 years ago (!!). If I find one in acceptable condition, it will likely become another DIY project as I upgrade the original wiring.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:02 AM   #1076
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Agreed, but we determined early on that a toaster was a must-have.

An alternative might be an old fashioned toasting fork over your propane flame.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2017, 07:08 AM   #1077
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I do carry the GSI Outdoors camping toaster as well as the electric, but open-flame toast is inferior to electric toaster toast. Plus the GSI sets off the smoke detector Every. Single. Time.

Some people are particular about how their coffee is brewed. With me, it's toast (I don't even drink coffee). I don't know why. Some specific but unnamed neurosis, I suppose. I've had toast virtually every morning for about the last 20 years.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:12 AM   #1078
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari
Old Orchard Beach , Maine
I have a Black & Decker toaster oven that is convenient.
2019-2022 President, Northeast Mountaineers Airstream Club
MaineStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:33 AM   #1079
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have one of those in the house, but even the smaller ones are impractical, size-wise, in an Interstate.

I carry my toaster and other large, bulky items, under one of the rear benches in mine.

Takes up more space than I would like, but is a requiresd item.

Maggie
Old 04-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #1080
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L2...3dL&ref=plSrch