Old 11-28-2015, 06:51 AM   #743
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
That Costco looks like an interesting option - and certainly on the less expensive end of the spectrum. If you are not finding it in stock, it might be due to seasonal sell-out.

This is the time of year to search for bargains, of course. The cost of the Rumpl I ordered fell 25% three days after my purchase (now about $71). Fortunately, Amazon has a 7-day price policy, so I was able to call and get the difference refunded.

I haven't tested the Rumpl in the Interstate yet, but my couch potato experimentation has been promising. It is certainly warmer than my low-end goose down comforter.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #744
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
How to secure oversized drink containers in the Interstate without drilling holes in the cabinetry for conventional cup holders.

I realize that this is a Texas thing that might not be universally appreciated, but Texans take their Yetis very seriously. Explanation in the blog post.

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: OVERSIZED CUP HOLDER FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151130_YETI_PLUS_TWO_OGRES.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	253134  

Old 12-11-2015, 05:21 AM   #745
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
"Hi, My wife installed a tension curtain rod across, behind the front seats. She hung a pair of proper length curtains that are pushed to the sides when underway. The side facing out is white and that facing the living quarters is black. When settled in for the night we simply pull them together behind the front seats and have easy, complete privacy."

This was posted by Eberheld on another thread, and would be a quick and easy solution for overnight stops when you didn't want to pull out covers for the interior or exterior windshield.

Maggie
Old 12-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #746
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Making myself do some tool-use things this morning , I went thru the big tool bag to move some things over to the new, little one, and found a couple of things to add to this list.

Cabinet latches are always going, also the drain plug to the hot water tank.....the former can't be bought just anywhere, and the latter can be a particular pia if stripped and you are miles from someplace that has the right size plug.

Small Space Tool Bag

Screwdrivers
Hammer (I like the multi tool one, with pliers, wire cutter, etc.)
Needle nosed pliers
Adjustable wrench
Channel lock
Duct tape
Zip ties of various sizes
Spare cabinet latches
Spare drain plug for hot water tank
Sturdy rope (do we need 100 feet?)
Collapsible shovel
Leatherman or good pocketknife
Multimeter
Tire pressure gauge
Small flashlight

Maggie
Old 12-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #747
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Suggest you make that two adjustable wrenches (or throw in a small set of open-end or combination wrenches). Sometimes you have to hold the head of a bolt with one while you tighten or loosen the nut with the other.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:15 AM   #748
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post

Cabinet latches are always going.
Maggie
I have a feeling that the cabinet latch issue may be a T1N issue, but I always carry a big roll of Velcro as a partial work-around for this and many other potential issues.

On one of my recent business combination trips, the closet latch let go, my "mobile office" rollaboard launched out despite the face that I had preemptively used my yoga mat to cram it securely in there (as a back-up method for the door), and it landed on the floor wedged firmly between both sets of cabinets, port and starboard.

It just so happens that the rollaboard is a tiny bit taller than the aisle is wide, plus it is one of those fancy carbon-fiber hard-sided things, and it took me forever to figure out how to pry it loose without tearing up the cabinets.

Now I loop a long piece of Velcro around the TV wall mount and through the cabinet door handle to prevent a recurrence. Hopefully.
Old 12-13-2015, 05:48 PM   #749
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I think I finally have this off-grid dish washing water conservation scenario worked out to my satisfaction. I have found that to be the most labor-intensive, annoying inefficiency associated with boondocking. My husband has asked me why I simply donít use paper plates and other disposable dishes and avoid the whole mess. The answer, of course, is that the gas stove is almost always used while boondocking because the microwave is not functional and Iím usually not in one place long enough to do BBQ. Soiling dishes is unavoidable.

I had bought the Prepworks collapsible dish tub a few months ago and I love it Ė itís one of the few products Iíve seen on Amazon that gets five stars. Except it doesnít fit into the Interstateís sink, so I got the nylon pocket sink. I then added the collapsible dish drainer to this assemblage. These three items can all semi-nest such that they fit perfectly in the T1N Interstateís small slot which is found below the drawers. When expanded, the drainer can nest in the tub. Therefore, I can stack up soapy dishes and the water will drain into the tub, not onto the counter. I can then take the drainer Ė tub combo and pour fresh water over it for the rinse using either a cup or maybe even the outdoor shower.

All gray water is captured either in the pocket sink or in the tub, both of which can be emptied either outdoors or into the toilet for further conservation. If I were going for longer duration off-grid, I would get a separate container to hold the dishwater for toilet-slugging purposes. Zero gray water generation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151213_PREPWORKS_COMBO.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	253827  
Old 12-13-2015, 05:54 PM   #750
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have a rectangular, collapsible bin, too, which I think holds 3 gallons. Not the same as yours, but very similar, and I use it often.

I stand in it for showering when boondocking, then dumping that away from the Interstate.

Serious boondockers save dishwater in a bucket for toilet flushing.

Maggie
Old 12-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #751
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1450649115

Here's our contribution to small space living: Pic 1 is a 2nd folding mirror and stainless steel basket next to kitchen sink. We don't cook in our rv so we use the kitchen are as our vanity. The basket is attached to the wardrobe wall with suction cups and serves to contain lotion bottles, soap bottles etc. We use a small Keurig for making coffee in the mornings.

Pic 2. is a towel rack we found on Amazon. It simply hangs over the top of the cabinet door, doesn't interfere with opening the door and has felt lining on the hooks so it is non-maring.

Pic 3 is a paper towel holder that just fits in under the shelf forward of the upper kitchen cabinet.

Pic 4 is a magnetic door latch which holds the wardrobe door open and closes off the bedroom area.

Pic 5 show latches I installed to keep the drawers from bumping into the cabinet door and knocking it open. Used to happen a lot on sharp turns. Not now.

Finally pic 6 shows the teak mat in our bath. We don't use the onboard shower so wanted to protect the floor from getting scratched up from our street shoes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151220_133253.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	254208   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151220_135351.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	254209  

Name:	20151220_135404.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	254210   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151220_135508.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	254211  

Name:	20151220_135521.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	254212   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151220_135429.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	254213  

Old 12-20-2015, 03:37 PM   #752
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Fitting a Full Size frozen Pizza in an Interstate Freezer

Although, I don't eat frozen pizza often, sometimes it is just good to have along.

A regular sized frozen pizza will not fit in the freezer - it is not wide enough. I take the frozen pizza out of the box and cut it in half. Then, I stack the halves on on top of each other and put it in a zip lock or plastic wrap. Then I slide it into the original box, including the cardboard which was left whole. Next just fold the box over and tape (or it can be cut down some) depending on how tight one is for space.

I usually cook it on my volcano grill and then slice it on top of the original cardboard to minimize cleanup. Works great!
Old 12-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #753
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Great ideas!

Maggie
Old 12-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #754
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
Although, I don't eat frozen pizza often, sometimes it is just good to have along.

I usually cook it on my volcano grill and then slice it on top of the original cardboard to minimize cleanup. Works great!
I use my Cobb Grill for heating frozen pizza, and slice and serve it on the round cutting board that is available as an accessory for the Cobb.

But I'll admit I never even tried fitting a frozen pizza in the Interstate's dinky 3.1cf Nova Kool fridge. Up until now I would just do pizza on days I have to make a grocery run in my toad anyway, so the pizza goes straight from store to grill.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:22 AM   #755
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post

Pic 5 show latches I installed to keep the drawers from bumping into the cabinet door and knocking it open. Used to happen a lot on sharp turns. Not now.
Source? I took a look on the internet, can't find that specific product.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:11 AM   #756
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Source? I took a look on the internet, can't find that specific product.
MINTCRAFT 23260-SC3L Surface Bolt, 4-Inch, Satin Chrome on Amazon.com

They also have cheaper ones, search for slide latches or barrel bolts.

Good Luck