Old 11-05-2015, 06:50 AM   #701
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Trigger warning: Content may inspire intense Jeff Foxworthy flashbacks.

I needed a protective solution for those overnights when I put my floor-to-ceiling bug screen in place and leave my Interstate's back doors open so that I can fully enjoy the million-dollar views that I came to camp in.

Leaving the doors open exposes the interior door finishes, including the fancy pleated fabric shades that Airstream permanently mounted in the Sprinter window frames, to bugs, sudden rain showers, tree sap dripping from overhead, and most consequentially - birds. In remote areas where wildlife doesn't experience much human persecution, it can be quite bold. Birds have a tendency to sit all over the Interstate, especially along the top edge of those open doors (they love to eyeball what's going on inside). They sing (at 5 a.m.), they squabble among themselves over who is going to claim the new territory represented by the Interstate, and they do that other thing that birds do so well - they poo.

I don't want all that nature's glory mess dripping onto the interior door finishes, so I needed to construct a sleeve that I could slip over the tops of the doors when I have them open. But how to construct?? The doors are a curved, compound shape. Well, I thought to myself, let me first see how close I can come to a template by using a contractor grade trash bag.

To my surprise, a 3-mil 42 gallon bag just happens to be a perfect fit (for the T1N rear door, at least). All one has to do is make a slit part way up one side to accommodate the hinge, and hold it in place with a couple of magnets.

Long term, I hope to devise a more elegant solution, perhaps a nylon sheath with a Velcro strap to hold it in place below the hinge. But short term, in a pinch, this is a perfectly functional solution. And it doesn't consume any storage space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151105_TRASH_BAG_COVER.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	251657  

Old 11-05-2015, 06:57 AM   #702
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Clever!

We have never slept with those rear doors open, but for open just slightly on Padre Island at night....for air flow.

I have wanted to, but feared a deer or other animal might get too close and Lily would leap thru the screen after it.....or at least be overstimulated by the smells and movements of the night and so keep me up with growling or barking.

Do often leave the rear doors open during the day. Hadn't really thought about debris landing on them, but it would only be a matter of time.

Great suggestion.

Maggie

Old 11-05-2015, 07:25 AM   #703
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Clever!

We have never slept with those rear doors open, but for open just slightly on Padre Island at night....for air flow.

I have wanted to, but feared a deer or other animal might get too close and Lily would leap thru the screen after it.....or at least be overstimulated by the smells and movements of the night and so keep me up with growling or barking.

Do often leave the rear doors open during the day. Hadn't really thought about debris landing on them, but it would only be a matter of time.

Great suggestion.

Maggie
Raccoons. The biggest threat for midnight intrusion is raccoons (unless you are in bear country). Same with tent campsite - I've had it happen. They Do Not Care - they will come after whatever they can, crawling over sleeping human bodies if they have to. They can smell peanut butter at 300 yards.

Dog behavior depends on the breed and temperament of the dog. My husband and I have gone backcountry camping with our dog, whose primary drive is to herd - namely, to herd us. Her instinct is to maintain pack cohesion by sticking close by and ensuring all members are accounted for (it's an amazing thing to watch when she's off leash on a long trail). We have had her growl in the night as animals approach, but not bolt, because that would mean leaving the pack (she sleeps under the tent fly extension, so she could leave if she wanted to). Same has been true in the Interstate (knock wood). We have slept with the doors open but she has not attempted to exit the vehicle.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #704
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lily is hyper-protective, and runs intruders off.

She doesn't try to catch them....but for squirrels ....but will run off deer, etc.

I could always leash her down inside, but that wouldn't keep her quiet.

Maggie
Old 11-05-2015, 07:52 AM   #705
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
*THIS* is what it's all about. Just beyond the line of vegetation in this picture-window view is the San Marcos River at dawn - what we came to experience. The arm in the foreground belongs to my daughter, whose teenage sensibilities require a bit of privacy even from her own mother, hence the use of the coroplast bed screen / divider I described in this blog post.

You can see in this photo that I had left the rear pleated shades raised overnight, which exposes them to even more dirt than if they were folded down. That's because this was a campground with other people in it. In those scenarios, I never fold the rear doors all the way back - I use them as privacy screens on each side of the Interstate in case anyone walks through our campsite. I want to hear people coming before they get to set eyes on us. I need the windows blocked for that reason.

Leaving the pleated shades raised with the doors open guarantees that the shades will become soaked with dew at the very least (even if no birds poo on them). This is not acceptable. I need to sheath the doors somehow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151009_SAN_MARCOS.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	251660  
Old 11-07-2015, 04:02 PM   #706
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
*THIS* is what it's all about. Just beyond the line of vegetation in this picture-window view is the San Marcos River at dawn - what we came to experience. The arm in the foreground belongs to my daughter, whose teenage sensibilities require a bit of privacy even from her own mother, hence the use of the coroplast bed screen / divider I described in this blog post.

You can see in this photo that I had left the rear pleated shades raised overnight, which exposes them to even more dirt than if they were folded down. That's because this was a campground with other people in it. In those scenarios, I never fold the rear doors all the way back - I use them as privacy screens on each side of the Interstate in case anyone walks through our campsite. I want to hear people coming before they get to set eyes on us. I need the windows blocked for that reason.

Leaving the pleated shades raised with the doors open guarantees that the shades will become soaked with dew at the very least (even if no birds poo on them). This is not acceptable. I need to sheath the doors somehow.

Interblog - PM me the dimensions with the hing slits measured and I'll see if we can make some up for you. We might even be able to custom print them! I work for a large format print and sew company and we have lots of pcs of vinyl hanging around that will work.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:17 AM   #707
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I received a Container Store catalog in the mail the other day.....many great items, often pricey, but fun to look thru for ideas.

They had a small, ratcheting, multi-bit screwdriver that looked like it would be good for the Interstate and my new project of creating a small tool bag to replace the large, 40 pound or so, one I have been carrying around.....because that's what Doug did.

Many tools and items I not only don't know how to use properly, but would likely never use. It also takes up way too much space. Why then carry it, when I really only need a few basics.

At any rate, googling for something similar and less expensive, found this little guy at Amazon for $5.01 as an add on item.

A Stanley product, small, great price, good reviews.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	252033  
Old 11-21-2015, 06:48 AM   #708
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
"This is what's called being suckered by the cuteness factor," I said to the salesperson in Sur La Table, the kitchen retailer where, for five bucks, I obtained these mini-tongs with silicone hands.

It was an accidental find, just happened to be walking by and saw them, but they are perfect for flipping my toast on the GSI Outdoors gas cooktop toaster. I had been using a spatula, but that would often cause the toast to slide off the unit and onto the cooktop. Now I have better control. Except over my wallet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20151120_MINI-TONGS.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	252589  
Old 11-21-2015, 07:00 AM   #709
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Cute is sometimes important.

I have a small pair of ice tongs that do very well for those kind of jobs.

Maggie
Old 11-21-2015, 07:03 AM   #710
Rivet Master

2015 22' FB Sport
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Ah I got that stovetop toaster myself. Now I know what else I "need"!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:08 AM   #711
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have a small, black with red, Snap-On tool bag that I am going to outfit with bare necessities for the Interstate.

Full, it will take up about 1/4 the space of the big one Doug always carried, and a fraction of the weight.

The little screwdriver set, above, arrived, along with a small hammer/saw multi tool. They will be perfect for what I am able and willing to do.

Going to add the tape measure, a small assortment of screw and nails, a couple of wrenches, needle nosed pliers, etc.....and probably move my stash of magnetic or tape stick on supplies to there, which will get them out of my over the microwave storage area.

Duct tape, too, of course.

Any other thoughts on must-carry, small toolbag items?

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2015, 11:35 AM   #712
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Maggie, I think you should add Zip ties, of various lengths, accurate tire pressure gauge, 100 feet of strong poly rope, collapsible shovel, and adapters for all the various electrical outlets (20, 30, and 50 amps). AEW
Old 11-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #713
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good ideas.

We have carried a folding shovel since day 1, and once dug ourselves out of deep snow with it. I have the adapters and pressure gauge, too, tho no rope.

I am going to go thru the gigantic bag I am replacing, and transfer over anything that looks like it could be important.

I will make sure to grab zip ties and purchase a length of rope. Thanks.

I can get stuck in trying to prepare for any and all eventualities, which is really not possible, and creates an endless list.

Maggie
Old 11-22-2015, 01:41 PM   #714
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by unifreck View Post
100 feet of strong poly rope
Polypropylene rope isn't terribly strong, and it has a tendency to kink up. Its main virtue is that it floats. If you want strong rope, get double-braid nylon rope. Half-inch diameter is a good compromise between strength and flexibility.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote