Old 07-29-2015, 11:04 PM   #673
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Re: Bambi bedding.

We never did find a really easy way to tuck in the mattress pad and bottom fitted sheet. But for the top layer, a comforter/duvet inside a duvet cover, vs. the traditional top sheet, blanket, & bedspread, seemed to work the best.

I saw some of those older threads, and think that some people got a foam mattress topper, and then just put the mattress pad/bottom fitted sheet over that.

Re: bathing. Hopefully everyone knows how to take a sponge bath in a tiny amount of water. Not wonderful, but it works. We always take a packet of baby wipes with us for hygiene purposes.

Jeanne

Old 07-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #674
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Okay, this is just cute and practical.

I found one of these a few months ago at the Meier store here, and picked up another one yesterday......a 16 oz, Anchor Hocking milk bottle, a few dollars.

Heavy glass, with a tight fitting, silicone lid that looks like milk , and which snuggles nicely on our small frig shelves for cream, milk, cold tea or coffee, etc.

Everything is colder in glass, and I have mixed cold coffee with half & half in this bottle the night before.....then sipped directly from it in the morning. A near instant infusion of coffee. Stays cold a long time, too.

I carry little glass in the Interstate, due to weight and fear of breakage, but have a couple of things for the frig that I just feel I need. This, and a 3 oz or so milk bottle with plastic cap from Crate & Barrel, which is perfect to rid oneself of an entire cream carton that has just the last couple of ounces in the bottom....efficient use of space is so important.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	244264  

Old 08-09-2015, 06:54 PM   #675
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
bedding: i've tried everything. sleeping bags, sleep saks, etc. finally got it. Got a queen size foam topper (pick your size type depending on your budget). Then got 2 king-size summer comforters with a cotton cover from Ikea. One is bottom sheet and one is top. No comforter covers. This is my easiest way for both of us to be comfortable and still sleep together. We have a sofa pullout in the rear of 2007 Interstate. In the morning, I roll it all up and stuff to the side. Now, if I could solve the problem of "we both need at least 2 pillows." There's just no where to put all this bedding.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #676
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's still a lot of bedding for the small space of an Interstate, methinks.

I'm sure the foam topper is comfy, but I can't imagine storing it in there.

You may find yet another something that works well.

I have both bed pillows in one, large pillow cover, then used as a back rest for reading, watching TV, etc. They don't need to be stored this way, can stay out during the day.

I found pillow covers on clearance at BB&BY....black and washable.

Maggie
Old 08-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #677
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Puyallup , Washington
Has anyone ever made custom fitted inserts for the 16' Bambi bedroom storage bins? We would like some ideas for something we can pack, stick in the bin, then pull down when we get home. I saw a photo of one when we first purchased the Bambi but I can't find it now.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:58 PM   #678
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You might try soft carry bags, such as fabric ones for groceries?

You could use some Velcro tape in the bins and on the bags, to keep them in place and/or open, if you liked.

I like packing bags for like-types of items, which I stick here and there, according to their size and what they hold.

Maggie
Old 08-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #679
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Puyallup , Washington
Bambi 16' above bed storage

Has anyone made or found a custom storage bag that will fit in the above-bed storage bin? We would like something that we pack, load, unload, and unpack all in one bag. I saw a photo of one that someone made but now I can't find the photo again
Old 08-10-2015, 05:30 PM   #680
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Are you talking about the rolling tambour doors?

I have a 22 sport. I found that plastic bins that are for storing ice in the freezer work really well.

Ikea and LL Bean also have a lot of storage bags

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:25 AM   #681
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I always like to peruse the back-to-school sections for small items that assist with organizing the small spaces of my Interstate.

A heretofore unresolved problem has been cleaning items that I like to store underneath in the galley area, to the left of the fresh water tank.

An oddly configured space, it requires flexible storage somethings, and the best I have found so far are those inexpensive, colorful totes from Hobby Lobby.... but they don't hold up well to temperature changes, cracking and splitting and needing to be replaced too often, in my opinion.

I ran across these in BB&BY this morning....Mesh Shower Totes. $12.99, going to try them.

About 11"x6" on the bottom, fully opened, with two large and 6 smaller pockets around the outside.

The mesh feels rather like silicone, has that important squish factor which seems to work best in our small spaces, and is labeled waterproof and washable.

I will use them for under cabinet cleaning items, but their short height would also lend themselves well to the upper cabinets, and would handle lots of small things.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	245309  
Old 08-12-2015, 06:13 PM   #682
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwlund View Post
Has anyone ever made custom fitted inserts for the 16' Bambi bedroom storage bins? We would like some ideas for something we can pack, stick in the bin, then pull down when we get home. I saw a photo of one when we first purchased the Bambi but I can't find it now.

I too was thinking along the same lines for "custom" storage units but after our 3 month trip this past winter realized biggest storage issue for me was really to ease the overhead storage of clothing items. I finally realized "hard custom fit units we not the best answer for me".... found a great deal at TJ Max purchased two sets of soft mesh and nylon organizers made for organizing clothing etc in luggage....( many different types and prices ) use these to organize clothing packing at home....transfer to Airstream using large "Thirty One Extra large tote" and typically contents fit easily into overhead storage unit. Easy to juggle while traveling and doing laundry on the road is great as clean folded items are packed in laundry facility and the easily loaded into storage compartment!
Old 08-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #683
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Surprised no one has designed "Airstream" luggage that conforms to the overhead lockers.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:10 AM   #684
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Went to ebags.com where they have all sizes travel packing bags (packing "cubes" in numerous colors. Fit perfectly in bins. Got 4 sizes, different colors for hubby and me. Example: his undies in medium black cube, mine in Orange. Long small cube holds travel size toilet items because hubby prefers CG showers over our small bath.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:16 AM   #685
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My packing cubes/bags are also from ebags.com....long been a fan of them.

They take up no space, themselves, really, and can be used for everything from undergarments to jeans/pants.

The problem with luggage of any type, really, or even fabric bags, is that they themselves take up our limited storage space.

I store smaller clothing items in packing cubes in an overhead bin, larger and heavier items, such as pants, under one of the rear benches or on the floor of the closet.

Keeps them clean, organized, and easily accessible.

Maggie
Old 08-14-2015, 07:43 AM   #686
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
These are at Ikea, if you're close to a store. UPPTÄCKA Packing bag, set of 4 - dark blue - IKEA

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/images/pro...E311667_S4.JPG