Old 12-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #505
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Protagonist-- Everything in a Fishing Vest? You win the Light Packing Award! Plus it would leave your hands free. Though today you might raise some eyebrows in the airport security clearance area.

"Ultra-Light" backpacking has gotten very popular among the wilderness campers, mostly by young 'uns who want to clock big distances per day. I read up on it when Len and I planned a couple of short backpacking trips several years ago. As seniors, the goal wasn't distance but just being able to schlep the stuff into the backcountry campsite.

Some of the recommendations were sensible, like an ultra-light tent; but I drew the line at: (1) no changes of clothing, (2) no underwear, (3) no lid for the lightweight cooking pot, and (4) no toothbrush. Probably a true ultra-lighter would dispense with the gear altogether, and have enough survival skills to make a brush shelter and eat termites.

Which sort of reminds me of why we are so happy to have an Airstream.

Happy trails in 2015, everyone!

Jeanne

Old 12-31-2014, 11:58 AM   #506
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Doug had a great, washable canvas jacket from Duluth Trading Co.....a Presentation Jacket, I think it was called....that had about 20 pockets in it, and pockets inside of pockets.

A bit classier for the city than a fishing vest , and a man could pack for a weekend in it if they had to.

I love pockets in things. I have a small, fabric, hanging pocket thingie in the Interstate's bathrooom, attached to the wall with a hook, which is great for extra soap, razors, shampoo bars, etc.

I met a couple from Canada witb an AS trailer of some sort, who had a fabric shoe organizer they picked up for a few dollars in Mexico that hung inside a closet door and was used for canned goods.

Maggie

Old 12-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #507
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Doug had a great, washable canvas jacket from Duluth Trading Co.....a Presentation Jacket, I think it was called....that had about 20 pockets in it, and pockets inside of pockets.
I have one of those as well. But it tends to be lumpier when the pockets are filled. And there's no file-folder-sized back pocket that you could put a folded pair of jeans in and use for lumbar support like the vest has…
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:19 PM   #508
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
I met a couple from Canada witb an AS trailer of some sort, who had a fabric shoe organizer they picked up for a few dollars in Mexico that hung inside a closet door and was used for canned goods.
Maggie
This should work. Even better, put the cans inside shoes in the shoe organizer.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:55 AM   #509
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:

Maggie
Yowza!! Great minds think alike. I've currently got a particular shoe organizer on backorder from The Container Store. It ain't yer grandmother's shoe organizer; it's closer to being a higher-tech fabric version, and I don't plan to hang it like a conventional shoe organizer, but rather to separate and adapt all those pockets in unconventional ways to help curtail all the rummaging, analogous to what I did with the PVC sewer pipe.

Unfortunately, The Container Store can't ship it until the end of January, so that project is on hold.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:03 AM   #510
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's all about creativity and ingenuity.

A shoe organizer could be cut apart and mounted on cabinet walls and backs, as well as inside cabinet doors, using otherwise wasted vertical space. Every inch really does count.

I have several pocket packet thingies, on the sides and rear of the kitchen cabinet.....hold toothbrush/toothpaste, those little beef and chicken concentrated broths (so much better than a can), etc., although haven't been able to find them lately.

Doug put tiny screws in these, which have held well....now, for years.

Maggie
Old 01-01-2015, 12:57 PM   #511
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
It's all about creativity and ingenuity.

A shoe organizer could be cut apart and mounted on cabinet walls and backs, as well as inside cabinet doors, using otherwise wasted vertical space. Every inch really does count.
Maggie
Yup - that was my thought with respect to the 45 degree upper cabinet interior wall in particular. If I can cut the shoe organizer into horizontal strips, reinforce them by sewing on strips of binding tape, and mount them to the angled wall, then the openings of the resulting pockets are basically staring me in the face. As opposed to me having to reach up and over the top into a vertical pocket.

I picked this Container Store model because there's enough excess woven nylon fabric at the top and bottom of each pocket for me to cut, fold, and sew on the reinforcements (heavy gauge plastic sheeting would not sew well; cloth would not be see-thru). Plus this one is translucent white, resembling the Airstream sliding doors on the cabinets. Plus it's soft nylon so no rattling or crackling.

The attached pic might be a bit misleading - the product is not IKEA, just the measuring tape. IKEA makes the best "portable" (and free) measuring tape for carrying in a woman's purse (I think it's actually supposed to be disposable).

I'm ahead of myself, though, as I don't have the organizer yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150101_SHOE_GRAB.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	229620  
Old 01-01-2015, 01:05 PM   #512
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is a great idea, IB, and something that could be put and used anywhere.

I put extra pairs of shoes in plastic bags under one of the rear benches.

Maggie
Old 01-01-2015, 09:17 PM   #513
Dachsiemobile

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lubbock , Texas
Quote:
Nice work, jerhofer! I'm going to be interested to hear how well these stay in place on the road.

IB, clever idea, but I see lots of unused space between those pipes.

To me, the "squish factor" is critical and required, whenever possible, for anything inside the cabinets, as by definition items then fit available space, however that may be shaped.

Instead of something rigid, and if you want to keep items separated, might instead wrap things in that waffle-ey shelf liner that you can buy by the big rolls. This would allow items to nestle together, also leave a very small wrapper once the clothing item was removed. Just a thought.

Doug folded, then rolled, his tshirts for his cabinet, which worked well for him and used space efficiently.

I liked to hang most of my tops, use packing bags in the cabinet for undergarments.... which keep items sorted according to type but still squish into available space.

We use larger packing bags for jeans/pants, and a smattering of off season clothing to dress ourselves appropriately, when weather is unseasonably warm or cold.

These can go in the bottom of the closet or under the benches.....again, they squish together to use all available space and when the benches go down for a bed at night.

We took the pedestal table out and left it in the garage after the first trip. It was annoyingly large and unwieldy, and took up one entire under-bench area. Never looked back nor missed it.

Learned to eat without a table, or use a picnic table, picked up one of those small, roll-up aluminum ones for use when needed, and I now have the small storage ottoman which fits perfectly between the rear benches and doubles as a small table. Love it.

Maggie
We may end up leaving our table behind as well. We found an unbelievably sturdy but lightweight folding table (folds up like a TV tray) at Target for $15. It adjusts to different heights and the top is about 20X30". The rectangular shape makes a great "table for 2" or an adjustable desk space. It can be left up without skittering around when we are driving - or stowed behind the driver's seat when we have the dog crate set up there. BTW - a thin dog-bed pad on top of the dog crate makes a great place to keep things we don't want to have under our feet but need to be able to reach when driving - like magazines or my knitting bag - and a convenient spot for a "charging station" at night.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:33 AM   #514
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The carpenter who custom-built two book racks for the rear of our Interstate built a larger one for behind the drivers seat.

We kept an atlas, laminated maps for oft-visited, favorite states there, also those bulky Trailer Life Directory, Passport America directories, etc. Now that apps have replaced the paper directories , just the atlas and maps in their cover live there.

Above that, Doug installed sturdy hooks for jackets, and beneath that we keep the little roll-up table in its' bag and another, soft bag with odds and ends of things with no place else to live, and room for small gift items picked up while traveling.

Lots of dead space behind that drivers seat.

Maggie
Old 01-02-2015, 07:01 PM   #515
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybree View Post
We may end up leaving our table behind as well. We found an unbelievably sturdy but lightweight folding table (folds up like a TV tray) at Target for $15. It adjusts to different heights and the top is about 20X30". The rectangular shape makes a great "table for 2" or an adjustable desk space. It can be left up without skittering around when we are driving - or stowed behind the driver's seat when we have the dog crate set up there. BTW - a thin dog-bed pad on top of the dog crate makes a great place to keep things we don't want to have under our feet but need to be able to reach when driving - like magazines or my knitting bag - and a convenient spot for a "charging station" at night.
andybree....do you have pictures of the table? I'd love to see the table, and see what it looks like when set up in the AI. thx.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:32 PM   #516
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
For anyone with an older Interstate or trailer who has thought about replacing cabinet pulls with lower-profile versions, some tips are given in this post (you guys with newer vehicles have those push-button latches and you don't have to worry about getting tangled up in cabinet handles that stick out).

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE CABINET PULLS REPLACEMENT
Old 01-03-2015, 04:40 PM   #517
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
When we looked at our AI this was the first thing I noticed. I have torn the pockets of too many shorts on the handles in our kitchen....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-03-2015, 04:41 PM   #518
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
andybree....do you have pictures of the table? I'd love to see the table, and see what it looks like when set up in the AI. thx.
Weirdstuff, I don't know what andybree has, but it might be similar to the one in the pic I attached. I remember clearly that Target used to have one but I'm not finding it on their website now. We got ours at PPL (no URL that I can find) and we probably paid too much (but I love, love, love this table and would not trade it for anything... we have a mid-bath model Interstate and it fits neatly behind the driver's seat). Here is the Walmart link which looks similar but I don't know if it would be as sturdy as the PPL version is.

Ozark Trail Folding Table - Walmart.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aluminum-table.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	305.1 KB
ID:	229744