Old 12-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #435
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Not exactly related to small space living, but definitely related to camping out of a small RV…

If you routinely camp in campgrounds that provide picnic tables, you can leave some of the lawn chairs at home and carry stadium seats. They work on most picnic benches just as well as on stadium bleachers, and make sitting at the picnic table ever so much more comfortable by giving you some back support. Face them toward the table to eat, face them out toward the lawn chairs for conversational groupings.

Some concrete picnic benches might be too thick for the spring clip attachments on some stadium seats, but should still be usable for the velcro attachments on other seats.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:45 AM   #436
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Undecided. Thus far, all I've got is a Walmart mat in front of the door; I think I paid five bucks for it. Its main virtues are that it matches the color scheme and serves as a dirt-catcher (and occasionally a planting spot for our dog). I have mostly New Zealand wool rugs in my house, but those are high-pile and might be tripping hazards in a small space. I have few other decor issues to resolve before I turn my attention to rugs.
You will find that rugs in your Interstate trap a fair amount of dust and debris, need to be vacuumed/shaken and washed on occasion. Wool may not be a good option,

Tuesday Morning had a raised-pile kind of vinyl mat, in perfect, variegated colors, which I found this year and have put near the front door. I shake it when it's dirty and rinse it off occasionally. $10.

Maggie

Old 12-04-2014, 02:42 PM   #437
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Extra Cabinet

I was looking for additional storage in the rear compartment of our AI EXT. The space is limited vertically as you must allow for when the rear seat is laid out as a bed. I had already removed the bed extensions as we discovered that the bed was large enough for us without them. This opened up some vertical storage area on the sides as I used the bed extension tie backs to fasten some tall items on one side like a broom.

That helped but what I was really looking for was a vertical cabinet as the area directly behind and above the folded down bed is dead space. After doing some measurements, I could see that a cabinet about 15" deep and 13" across would fit and still allow me to use the sunken storage area in the center. I did a search on Google and came up with this cabinet at Ikea. While it has a flat finish, the color of the cabinet goes with the stock cabinets quite well.

LILLÅNGEN High cabinet - black-brown - IKEA

The depth and width dimensions were perfect but it was too tall. 58" was the height I needed and this one is 70 1/2". While I do a lot of work on cars, I am not very good at working with wood. But, fortunately, my best friend has a full wood workshop. He made quick work of cutting down the cabinet and routing out one hole for one of the hinges. When I got it back to my garage, I used one of the pieces we cut off as a pattern to drill four holes needed to mount the bottom piece of the cabinet. I used some tape on my drill bit to make sure the holes were the correct depth. The sides were cut to 58" length with the cabinet door cut to 57 1/2".

A trip to Lowe's netted me some cabinet door fasteners.

The measurements above gave me 1/4" to spare between the floor and the lower lip on the rear overhead cabinet. To get the cabinet in I had to pull up the carpet at the rear and remove the right angle metal piece along the rear floor that the carpet is attached to. To get this piece off I had to remove some of the lower screws that hold the vertical gray plastic factory trim piece on the left side as the metal piece goes behind it. To make it easier to remove the metal piece in the future, I cut about 1/2" off each end so it no longer goes behind the gray trim piece.

My buddy had some 1/4" walnut shims that I used at the top between the cabinet and the lower lip of the overhead cabinet. I ran four screws into the floor and two into that lower lip to securely mount the cabinet. Since the cabinet would need to be removed to service the water heater, I tried to make that an easy task. Six screws on the cabinet and another six to remove the rear metal trim piece and it can be lifted out.

The headrest must be removed to lower the rear seat. I have a door pull on the way to match the overhead cabinet pulls. I can still reach in along side the cabinet and will be able to store tall vertical items there. I am so pleased with the way this turned out that I am going to buy another one of these cabinets for the other side. As you can see, it holds lots of stuff.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #438
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Very nice!

Maggie
Old 12-04-2014, 04:06 PM   #439
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Slick!

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #440
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Slick!
Thanks. It will be very tempting once I have the other cabinet installed to connect them with an overhead cabinet.
Old 12-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #441
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Nice job jerhofer! I also used a small IKEA Billy bookcase in black-brown to add a mini-desk behind the drivers seat.

A lesson learned from my experience, if you plan to apply something like clear polyurethane to increase they durability of the very thin IKEA finish. Whatever IKEA applies as a finish has prevented the poly from adhering completely. I probably should have cleaned it with a fine 3M abrasive pad first and perhaps also whipped it down with a solvent like denatured alcohol. Now my finish looks good but can easily be scratched. I think refinishing my IKEA hack project may now be required.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #442
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Also noticed that red Ferrari in background -- is that a F355 Coupe? Nice!
Old 12-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #443
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Also noticed that red Ferrari in background -- is that a F355 Coupe? Nice!
It is a 1990 348.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #444
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Daily driver, right?

Old 12-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #445
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Daily driver, right?
I bought the car a little over a year ago and have put around 5,000 miles on it.

This time a year ago the engine, transmission and the entire rear suspension were sitting on a table in my garage so I could do the timing belt service.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:07 PM   #446
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Bet that was fun.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #447
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
it is a 1990 348.

beautiful!!
Old 12-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #448
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Bet that was fun.
When I told my son I had bought the car and that the engine needed to come out, he was excited. We have worked together on a number of projects. He has a '69 Camaro that he has owned for 14 years. The most recent engine we installed was a 525HP LS3. It is a strong car. We replaced the rear suspension and mini-tubbed that car as well.

He is a mechanical engineer who went to work for Michelin and designed race tires there for 12 years. About seven years ago he made the transition to NASCAR, where the money is. He now works for Toyota Racing Development and is in charge of tire testing for all of the Toyota NASCAR teams. He gets to play with all of their fancy machines every day!!