Old 12-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #421
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Neat links, Martin! Thanks!

We met a couple several years ago who were on their way to Brunswick, GA, to ship to England an RV they had bought and traveled in from California almost 8 weeks prior.

They owned and operated a campground in England, and were here "on holiday", while their campground was closed for what amounts to winter over there.

I talked with him about my dream of shipping the Interstate overseas for travel, and he encouraged me to do so. Said we would find what we needed for accommodations, also could sell the Interstate before we left for a huge profit.

Some cool conversion vans for sale there. Maybe in my next life.

Maggie

Old 12-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #422
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
My house in the UK is really near the sea, and is right next to a campground. It is very common for campgrounds/RV parks to only be open 10 months per year, so folks can't live there permanently. Means many retirees either take their trailers/RVs to southern Europe (it's like driving from NYC to Florida so not too bad) or just shut them up (no need to winterize over there as it rarely stays below freezing for very long) and go on two month vacation.

Van conversions are very popular because a new van has a different tax rating to a passenger vehicle (much lower). If you convert a new van you have to pay the tax difference, but because depreciation is so high (most vehicles in the UK drop to under 60% of purchase price after 3 years), buying a 3 year old van and then rebuilding/converting results in only paying tax on the current value (and is often simply ignored).

Certainly the reason we are having our 20ft rebuilt (and not the 28ft donor) is simply because we will be shipping to Europe when we go back - if you are doing a temporary import you don't need to register the vehicle at all (many folks fly there motorbikes to Europe for vacation), and in our case because of the age of the MH it won't need to meet current emission controls/and will be road tax exempt......as an aside the value is also so much higher over there we will get most of the cost of the rebuild back.

There are some things that are different (obviously 240v shore hook up, but it is possible to buy a 240v to 110v line converter - just be careful of ampage), gas comes in cylinders not tanks that get refilled, and the majority of RV parks don't have dumping stations like here - we are converting to a cassette toilet with no black water tank. But otherwise, I agree....go for it!

Old 12-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #423
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Others may do it, but I think I have missed my personal window.

Because the cost of shipping is so high, my thought was to ship it over early summer, store it somewhere and be home for a couple of months over the holidays, then go back for 4-6 months before bringing it back here......unless we were really tempted to sell it, which is hard to imagine, but you never know.

Could do the British Isles, Ireland, and Europe.

The very idea is nearly intoxicating.

Maggie
Old 12-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #424
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
How nice of you to summarize and organize all of that, InterBlog, especially for new owners of any small space. ...

Maggie
I try to pay it both forward and back.

Here is my next slew of small space living tips. Iím providing links to full descriptions but also attaching pics to this post so that folks can judge without having to go to the individual URLs whether any of these tips would be useful to them. All of these are also listed under the SMALL SPACE LIVING TIPS blog category.

As a newbie, I am finding that I tend to fritter away too much valuable time trying deal with the Interstateís small space. My husband and I are not retired, nor are we empty-nesters. Our short trips need to be executed with military precision due to the limited time we have on the road. If I seem a little obsessive about details such as these, thatís why Ė we have to maximize our efficiency. So every time I run up against an unnecessary small-space time-sink, I develop a workaround on the spot.

(1) Use a check file to store Corelle plates in the gap beside the microwave (if you have a gap) or in a cupboard if you donít (the dividers in the check file prevent the plates from rattling while traveling). This is my absolute favorite small-space workaround to date because of the time that it saves me. Use a second larger check file to store flat kitchen items such as trivet, cutting board, dish cloths, drying towels, trash bags, and a collapsible trash can while not in use.
THE INTERSTATE BLOG: STORING DISHES IN AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE, PART 1: PLATES

(2) Use a wide-webbed fabric basket to store cutlery, bowls, and drinking glasses. This is my second favorite small-space workaround. By inserting the cutlery into the web weave, you donít get that jangling that you would hear on the road if using a conventional cutlery tray (the Interstate is not large enough for a dedicated tray anyway - I need the drawer space for other items).
THE INTERSTATE BLOG: STORING DISHES IN AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE, PART 2: EVERYTHING ELSE

(3) Use an IKEA Frakta bag for pillow storage in under-couch cabinets to both contain the pillows and also to help muffle road noise. The Frakta is the perfect size and keeps the pillows clean.
THE INTERSTATE BLOG: STORING PILLOWS IN AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE

(4) Create custom sized bedding storage to suit your needs (in our case, special uncompressed sleeping bag tubes that fit beneath the jack-knife couches).
THE INTERSTATE BLOG: STORING BEDDING IN AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE

(5) Use the BBB bed caddy for stowable small-item storage and access. Best product of its type that Iíve found on the market to date.
THE INTERSTATE BLOG: STORING PERSONAL ITEMS IN AN AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_0934.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	227840   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_0911.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	227841  

Name:	1-DSC_0924.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	227842   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_0900.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	227843  

Name:	1-DSC_0089 - Copy.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	227844   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_0050 - Copy.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	227845  

Old 12-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #425
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Oooooh, you are good!

A check file! I had never thought of that!!

Those odd spaces either side of the microwave are a pia, but I have the First Aid kit wedged on one side....easy access ....and a few movies/boxed sets on the other. The latter have fallen out more than once, but a check file would secure them.

Great ideas! The collective minds thing here is such an asset.

It sounds like you are a naturally inclined organizer....likely leaning a bit toward the OCD end of it, like me.

I always told my husband....not naturally organized....that someone had to be, or it would just be chaos.

Maggie
Old 12-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #426
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What are you going to do with your floors, InterBlog?

Rugs make the floors warmer, and kind of pull things together for me.

I ordered rugs from Stroud's braided rugs, http://www.stroudbraidedrugs.com/?ut...Ko0aAuv18P8HAQ who have an infinite variety of colors and styles, will custom make, are pretty quick, and the rugs are reversible and washable. Love mine

Maggie
Old 12-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #427
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Remember, too, that it is a process and not an event, as we say in the business.

It will all come together, if not necessarily at lightening speed.

Maggie
Old 12-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #428
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I had a local and beloved carpenter make and install book racks in cherry matching the interior for those bench end areas where you have a bed organizer, IB.

They include a small shelf area where I keep a couple of pretty mugs on one side, and a large mug on the other that holds pens, scissors, etc.

Pretty mugs, of course....Chatham Pottery mugs.

Maggie
Old 12-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #429
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
I found this Coleman silverware set at Wal-Mart. No rattling as they fit snugly in the holder.

jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #430
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Cute!

No need for one of those tray organizers that take up an entire drawer.

Maggie
Old 12-02-2014, 06:26 AM   #431
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
You have a stove cover?

I'm so jealous.

Maggie
I have the covered stove and covered sink. It was an upgrade back then (I believe it became standard at some point). Of the two other 2007 owners I've met off-forum, one has the glass covered units and one does not (both bought their vehicles used). Most of the 2007-ish units I have seen for sale online have sinks and stoves that are not covered.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:31 AM   #432
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have neither the stove nor sink cover, and would love them both.

I took a look at your blog links, IB, and you've really done a lot of work on them.

Very nice, and will be a real timesaver for anyone in a hurry or who doesn't want to read thru all the chatter here.....and, some do.

We leave our table for the back at home, covering those holes with a rug, and have done this since returning from the first trip.

Not terribly practical for our kind of travel, heavy, and takes up too much space.

Maggie
Old 12-02-2014, 06:37 AM   #433
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
I found this Coleman silverware set at Wal-Mart. No rattling as they fit snugly in the holder.

That is a wonderful option and I also considered something like that. One can also purchase artist paint brush holders that are essentially rolled up versions.

My original idea, and this might work for some people, was to lay the cutlery out flat on a bamboo place mat and use sewing elastic to create loops to hold each piece (I'm a DIY junkie). I've attached a Pinterest grab of a similar idea for cosmetic brushes. Then I was going to Velcro that cutlery-laden placemat to the top of the microwave, such that all the cutlery pointed out toward the aisle and could be grabbed with one hand, piece by piece, and then re-inserted into each loop when needed (also one-handed). This made rational sense because I had already inserted the plates and kitchen essentials into the microwave's side gaps.

As good as that idea was, it did not address my remaining issue of what to do with the bowls and drinking glasses. When I found this basket that could well-incorporate all three needs, I went with it instead. As well as being efficient, it also fulfills the design vibe I was going for. It happens to come in the color I want to use as an accent in the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pinterest-grab.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	227902  
Old 12-02-2014, 07:00 AM   #434
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
What are you going to do with your floors, InterBlog? ...

Maggie
Undecided. Thus far, all I've got is a Walmart mat in front of the door; I think I paid five bucks for it. Its main virtues are that it matches the color scheme and serves as a dirt-catcher (and occasionally a planting spot for our dog). I have mostly New Zealand wool rugs in my house, but those are high-pile and might be tripping hazards in a small space. I have few other decor issues to resolve before I turn my attention to rugs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-DSC_0028 - Copy.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	227903