Old 11-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #407
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
There are other nesting cookwares out there, for those that want them but not the expense of these lovely ones from the UK.
I've got a 10-piece set of Magma nesting induction cookware for home use. I don't do enough cooking in my Interstate's tiny galley to make it worth bringing along on trips. But my home kitchen is awfully small, too, and nesting cookware just made good sense there as well.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #408
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Maybe of interest to others....we have been searching for some space efficient pots and pans, partially to minimize size for storage but also (because we are installing a Dometic sink/burner combo in our Argosy MH) minimum real-estate on the burner (it has two small burners, quite close together).

We have been tent and trailer campers for many years so used to the flimsy stackable cooksets made for camping and wanted something considerably better.

Well our solution appears to be the new Ingenio range made by Tefal (aka T-fal in the US). These are domestic quality (10 year guarantee) pans and accessories designed specifically for 'space efficiency', Tefal Ingenio - YouTube .

I couldn't find any supplier in the US so importing a few items from the UK (they are available from Amazon.co.uk but not Amazon.com)....relatively expensive yes but I think worth it.
That set looks very promising. I did check around and could not find anything comparable for sale here in the U.S.

My cookware-shopping issue with the Interstate is that I did not want to be locked into buying an entire cookware set - I won't need it and there isn't space for it (although if that Tefal set were available here, I might go for it). Therefore I settled on an "open stock" (meaning you can buy individual pieces) Anolon and Calphalon frying pan and sauce pot (2 quart from the "Umber" collection; about $40 in BBB, less if you use the regular 20% off coupon). The pot has a built-in pour spout and strainer and it's one of the tallest small pots on the market which means maximum volume for minimum footprint. They both fit very well side-by-side on the small stove.

The frying pan is proving useful for heating up frozen foods, a method I have never used at home. I thaw the containers in a sink-full of water until they get "soft" frozen such that the food can be broken into large chunks. Then I transfer that to the frying pan which, with its large surface area, does the remainder of the thawing efficiently on low flame. This prevents me from having to use the microwave, which would require either the generator or a hook-up. I don't necessarily want to draw noisy attention to myself while boondocking so this is a way to get around that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anolon-calphalon.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	227742  

Old 11-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #409
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I guess I have an advantage of having an account with Amazon.co.uk and a shipping address there so have been able to order just the pans I wanted, not a set; I did look at the Magma nesting set - looks lovely but I only need two saucepans and a 'frying pan' (actually I went with a saute pan from the Ingenio range so I could also by the steamer accessory) so would not use the vast majority of it.

In general the problems with space in the 20ft Argosy is exactly the same as an Interstate; we have managed to get a design which gives us a 6ft run of cabinets, and want as much as possible of that to be countertop so installing a Dometic combo sink/burner, which is even tighter for 'on hob space' than the twin burner in the Interstate, only 24" wide x 18" deep.

So the maximum pan base size is around 9" for the big burner and 7" on the small one.

This sink has the same look as the Interstate burner when closed, but saves another few inches over the separates.

Which leaves just enough room for the matching Dometic 'waste bin' (I use the term loosely as it is just about suitable for kitchen scraps and tea bags!)

Old 11-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #410
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My first cookware for the Interstate were 1 quart and 2 quart, stainless steel, glass lidded, saucepans from WalMart open stock selection.

I don't recall the brand name off hand, but it is something easily recognizable, a decent quality, department store cookware, and I was able to buy only what I wanted and needed.

I chose them because they were very sturdy and heavy, seemed of good quality, and 7 1/2 years later I still have that opinion of them. They were about $30 and $40 each, I think.

Also, because their lids have small holes over a lip on one side and slightly larger holes over a lip on the other.....allowing for draining of pasta and potatoes without dirtying another item.

Other than the two Calphalon pieces I found at TJ Maxx years later, the other purchase which became essential was a small, spatterware, enamel stockpot, which I needed for the occasional corn on the cob picked up at roadside markets late summers. Also at WalMart, for $8, I think.

The stockpot takes up a bit of room, but other things ride inside it so it makes itself useful....is also very lightweight.

When you need something that big, you just need it.

WalMart caters to shoppers from all income groups, and lots of college students, so open stock items are big sellers.

A good, non-stick skillet with a lid doubles as a pancake griddle and stove-top baker for biscuits, too......did many pans of biscuits for sweet hubby over the years in that skillet. Use your lid, turn them when browned. Works great.

Maggie
Old 11-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #411
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Wearever brand?

I have similar pots big one for pasta, smaller saucepan. They cook well over gas stove.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #412
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Wearever sounds right.

Maggie
Old 11-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #413
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
Thanks for this thread, I started reading this on thanksgiving, and just finished today with all sorts of space saving tips!
Old 12-01-2014, 06:48 AM   #414
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
... a Dometic combo sink/burner, which is even tighter for 'on hob space' than the twin burner in the Interstate, only 24" wide x 18" deep. ...
When I looked at that combo pic, my reaction was "Auuuuggghhhh!!!!!" because it reminded me of a fiasco I accidentally self-created within my home-not-on-wheels.

SHORT VERSION: Piezos and water do not mix. Has Dometic properly accounted for this fact in their design?? Given that they can't even get the design of their friggin' sink faucet correct, I think the question is worth asking.

LONG VERSION: We have an in-counter gas cooktop at home, with an in-wall oven mounted directly beneath it. I made the mistake *just one time* of getting a tiny bit of water in the piezo actuator while cleaning the cooktop. The piezo mechanism shorted out, and I was rewarded with an unstoppable cascade of TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK-TICK despite the fact that the stove was not turned on. My husband had to (get this) de-install the oven from the wall so that we could access the bowels of the cooktop, remove it from the countertop, and set it out to dry in the presence of a portable fan for about 12 hours. There was no permanent damage to the cooktop or its piezos, and everything worked fine once dry. But what a pain in the a$$.

The gas stove in our Interstate doesn't have the same type of piezo mechanism, but it still raises the question in my mind of what the behavior will be if it gets wet, which looks inevitable with that sink-stove combo. Hopefully your worst-case scenario will be that you will need to use a BIC lighting wand to light your stove, but the stoves do have those safety mechanisms that cut off the gas flow in certain scenarios, so you may want to check this.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:03 AM   #415
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Thanks for the 'heads-up', I will watch out for this and maybe a reason the combo can be bought both with and without ignitors???

Although these are all badged as Dometic, they are actually from their Cramer/Waeco sub-division, not the SMEV sub-division that supply the badly designed faucets...which actually means the (SMEV) Dometic faucet doesn't even fit the (Cramer) Dometic sink without modification. They are used in many many European motorhomes/van conversions, so hopefully they will have worked out the bugs! In have gone with a faucet from another vendor which lifts up to turn on, and closing the glass lid actually stops the flow (left/right sets temperature).

Either way, I guess we will find out once it's installed and we start to use it.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:06 AM   #416
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have not had any problems with my burners, InterBlog.

Don't think I have ever dumped a pan of water there , but things have boiled over on occasion and been cleaned up to go on without any issue.

I like that the burners are covered on that Dometic combo, but the burners are really tiny looking. Would require some creative cooking.

My biggest issue with my burners are that they are not covered, are black, and therefore show every speck of dust and crumb that lands on them. Wiping down at least daily is necessary to avoid visual disturbance.

I solved that, at least cosmetically, with a glass burner cover that has worked well and which I love. The area still collects everything, you just can't see it immediately upon entering the Interstate.

Maggie
Old 12-01-2014, 07:11 AM   #417
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:

Which leaves just enough room for the matching Dometic 'waste bin' (I use the term loosely as it is just about suitable for kitchen scraps and tea bags!)

BTW, *love* the little waste bin, and it would certainly resolve the dog-ripped-apart-the-trash-again scenario. I don't believe I would trade separate sink and stove for it, but it's definitely cool.

My low-tech substitute is a small collapsible nylon food waste bin lined with a one-gallon zip-lock and attached to the smoke detector with its elastic loop, being careful not to block the air intake of the detector. I slightly burned some toast a few days ago and can testify that our smoke detector does, indeed, still function admirably while in this condition. Yyyyyup. Like a champ. What a racket in such a tiny space.

The smoke detector is on the cabinet bulkhead directly above the sink, so this is as convenient as a low-tech option gets.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-DSC_07983-001.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	227833  
Old 12-01-2014, 07:28 AM   #418
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:

Although these are all badged as Dometic, they are actually from their Cramer/Waeco sub-division, not the SMEV sub-division that supply the badly designed faucets...

It's funny you should mention SMEV because two days ago I was astonished to discover a yellow SMEV label on my stove cover - or so I thought. I initially believed I was genuinely going MAD because all of a sudden I saw a label where I was certain no label had been before!!

When I lifted the cover, I realized what had happened: I had placed the kitchen sponge in that nook to dry. The yellow sponge was showing through the transparency in the lettering on the cover, which ordinarily was not visible due to the darkness inside the stove. Whew - senior moment avoided! For once!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	duo.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	227834  
Old 12-01-2014, 07:30 AM   #419
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You have a stove cover?

I'm so jealous.

Maggie
Old 12-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #420
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
If you want to be seriously jealous, take a look at the parts that are available in Europe (where van conversions are very popular)....

I get a lot of stuff from a company called Grasshopper Leisure (Kitchen Equipment) but there are many others, for example Reimo (REIMO campervans, van conversions, motorhome parts & technology, roofs & bench seats - camping supply, folding chairs, tents & awnings (EN)) in Germany (Eurocamper.com are their US agents). All the small things that make small space living so much more practical.

For example SMEV in Europe do a really nice built-in broiler/toaster oven (called a grill in Europe) that gives the functionality of a toaster oven running just on gas and 12v ignition so can be run without hook-up/generator, here I had to search high and low for even a 600w toaster oven that can run on a small generator/invertor.