Old 11-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #351
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I like that you can buy just what you want.....don't have to buy a hundred of something.

They have travel sized toiletries you can't find just anywhere....like contact lens solution.

Great site, kaylorsan! Thanks for sharing.

Maggie

Old 11-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #352
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I picked up my collapsible storage ottoman at WalMart this morning, and love it.

15" square, black, leather look, sturdy, sturdy, sturdy. Weighs 5-6 lbs, I would estimate. The lid is recessed nicely, and lays steadily when inverted, so could be used as a tray/table of sorts. I am very pleased with it.

It will fit perfectly in the rear of the Interstate, will neatly contain my yarns, and is a very good value, as the Irish would say.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	226072  

Old 11-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #353
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I am that old, too.....probably quite a bit older than both of you.

My kids claimed our household was that last in at least the US to have a microwave....it was in the mid-80's, I think.

I have double ovens, and love them. No oven in the Interstate, tho, which challenged my cooking when we were on extended trips.

Voila!!.....Dutch Ovens!

Maggie
THAT is old ... depending upon how you define THAT ... and we are not even Dutch!
Old 11-15-2014, 10:16 AM   #354
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am increasingly in love with my FoodSaver vacuum sealer, purchased a year or so ago.

In my still-new, solo life, it is put to use at least several times each week, now that I feel a bit more like cooking, to portion out and freeze whatever I have cooked, lest I be required to consume the dish ad nauseum from my frig. I also use them to freeze single portions of meat or poultry, and lately raspberries @ $.50 apiece in the store.

My favorite sized bag is the pint, as it nicely holds a single serving. I keep quart bags for soups/chili, and cut-to-size rolls for whatever.

Down to my last few pint bags, I went looking online this morning for a good price and found the best prices....by far....at FoodSaver.com.

They currently have great prices on bags, free shipping @ $25 or more, and $20 off 4 boxes of bags or rolls!

FoodSaver Holiday Savings: Get Over $450 In Total Savings

Maggie
Old 11-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #355
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Boerne , Texas
Outfitting our AS for use. We will be renovating slowly, but are using it in the meantime. Anyone have any pointers on space savers or things that I shouldn't waste my money on?

Gwendolyn
Old 11-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #356
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ummmm, read this thread and we won't all have to repeat it.

Lots of good tips from lots of folks.

And, congratulations.

Maggie
Old 11-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #357
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by campindaisy View Post
Outfitting our AS for use. We will be renovating slowly, but are using it in the meantime. Anyone have any pointers on space savers or things that I shouldn't waste my money on?

Gwendolyn

Welcome to Airstream Lifestyle Campin Daisy!

We are all newbies at some point and now the real fun begins "outfitting" your very own new small space home on wheels. The wealth of information here shared by helpful generous forum members is endless. The single best advice for me was....only take what you need and and love; be sure each item has more than single use for being "worthy" cabinet/drawer/closet and leave the rest home. Basically put simple things, or things we make simple, can make Airstreamin Lifestyle more enjoyable.

Final tip: Look in your own home (go shopping in your closets, cabinets, storage) for items you may already have... I really wanted to add a vase for dinette table or outside picnic table but could not justify the space...last trip I have picked the last flowers in my garden before our late fall camping trip and with a quick look in my kitchen cabinet found the perfect Airstream flower container and quickly removed the shaker top of an empty stainless steel shaker container.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #358
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Boerne , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
Final tip: Look in your own home (go shopping in your closets, cabinets, storage) for items you may already have... I really wanted to add a vase for dinette table or outside picnic table but could not justify the space...last trip I have picked the last flowers in my garden before our late fall camping trip and with a quick look in my kitchen cabinet found the perfect Airstream flower container and quickly removed the shaker top of an empty stainless steel shaker container.
Great points! I have a love of pretty picnic ware so that is definitely going in there! Not microwave safe, but it won't break either. And I have been toying with the idea of taking stealing my stainless utensil crock from my home kitchen for use as well. I just have to explain why all the kitchen utensils are sitting all over the counter to my husband. I'm pretty sure when I'm done our "Penny" will be outfitted better than my house.

Gwendolyn
Old 11-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #359
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Remember that anything you have set out must be secured for travel, or you will find items all over your floor when you stop for the night.

I set such things in my sink.

Maggie
Old 11-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #360
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The microwave is good for storage also.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #361
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
The microwave is good for storage also.
That's where I carry my paper plates and paper towels, stuff that won't damage the microwave itself.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #362
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have one of those soft, collapsible cork bowls in mine, and keep crackers, etc., in there.

Airtight when closed, and the bowl makes for easy removal if I want to reheat something.

Maggie
Old 11-20-2014, 04:35 AM   #363
1 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Carrollton , Texas
Smile small space heater?

Having just come off a bitter cold trip with my RV group in my Airstream Class B Avenue van, I am in a disappointed that the manufacturer did not add heat vents from the furnace to the front half of the van. Yes, it did get freezing here in the DFW metroplex last weekend. The only hot air was coming out from the two furnace vents under the back sofa/bed. That was not adequate to warm the passenger seats in the front half of the van. So my dog Pepe and I were quite cold during the day. When I am working or eating at the little insert table nestled between the front and middle seats, the area is waaaaaaaaay too cold. So does anyone one have an idea of a heating unit that is suitable for small spaces that I could plug in, to warm the front half of the van?
Thanks!
Bess
Old 11-20-2014, 05:03 AM   #364
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGal View Post
Having just come off a bitter cold trip with my RV group in my Airstream Class B Avenue van, I am in a disappointed that the manufacturer did not add heat vents from the furnace to the front half of the van. Yes, it did get freezing here in the DFW metroplex last weekend. The only hot air was coming out from the two furnace vents under the back sofa/bed. That was not adequate to warm the passenger seats in the front half of the van. So my dog Pepe and I were quite cold during the day. When I am working or eating at the little insert table nestled between the front and middle seats, the area is waaaaaaaaay too cold. So does anyone one have an idea of a heating unit that is suitable for small spaces that I could plug in, to warm the front half of the van?
Thanks!
Bess
This is the one I use for supplemental heating in my Interstate: http://www.amazon.com/Duraflame-DFHD...p+space+heater.
But as long as you get a "desktop" heater, and it has a switch on the bottom that turns it off if it tips over, you'll do all right, regardless of brand.

If you have carpet where you want to place the heater, it's not a bad idea to set a small cutting board on the floor, so the heater has a solid base for that tip-over switch to make contact against.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote