Old 11-07-2014, 06:26 AM   #323
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Whatever is most important to you and yours is all that really matters.

There are space restrictions with an Interstate, so your lifestyle will require a journey of a different sort than most of us.

Pagey and beetlebob on these forums are vegan, I believe, so she may chime in here with some suggestions. They carry a food dehydrator with them in their truck, and that might be something for you to thnk about.

There is a thread entitled The Vegetarian and Special Dietary Lifestyle Thread, in the Stella's Kitchen sub forum, which you might want to take a look at.....that might be an existing thread that will work for you.

Maggie

Old 11-07-2014, 06:28 AM   #324
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Anyway, bottom line, I would enjoy seeing a standalone thread where healthy AI-compatible ultra-small-space meal plans and recipes are accumulated. I plan to make a blog category for that one; it's on my ever-lengthening to-do list.
Small-space meal plans and recipes are a wonderful idea, especially for a single guy like me who doesn't want elaborate preparation or myriad ingredients just to feed myself— I have little patience for cooking, so my crock pots (I have three: 4-quart, 1˝-quart, and 12v-1˝ quart) are my number-one go-to kitchen appliances. I'll only bring one with me on any given trip, and I only bring the 4-quart if I'm preparing a dish for a potluck dinner.

While camping, my Cobb Grill (AKA "Kitchen in a bag") is my number-two go-to appliance.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #325
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
I like the idea of preparing dinners at home dividing leftovers into small portions and freezing them in quart size freezer bags. Taking the frozen bags along with you to heat up while camping. Eating these leftovers a month later while on camping trip isn't much like eating leftovers and all the prep work was done at home in your kitchen!
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #326
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
This is a good idea above - one I hadn't yet considered. Bags in hot water on the stove eliminates the need to use the electricity-pig microwave for quick defrosting and heating.

I was planning to start a separate thread on small-space food management ideas - it has been on my to-do list but we've been dealing with other issues and it was a lower priority for us. My food predicament is larger-scale, though, so I'll start that thread and let folks reply on whichever thread best fits their input.
MAGGIE - Isn't it wonderful to be so darned old that we didn't HAVE NO STINKIN' MICROWAVES when we learned to cook? Reheating on a stove top is now a revolutionary idea! What's old is new again.

Now here is TRUE laziness. Once you reheat the boiling bag get an oven mitt, hold the bag in the mitt, snip off the top with a pair of scissors, use a plastic fork to eat directly FROM the bag... and have no dishes to wash. OK it's tacky but when you live alone and have just thoroughly cleaned the Airstream including scrubbing the sink and putting Pledge on the countertops - you don't want water spots from doing dishes.

Paula
Old 11-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #327
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is, Paula.

I remember when boil-in-bags were a revolutionary convenience food, and all manner of things came frozen to thaw and heat in boiling water.

Not being a big microwave user, when I have stored leftovers in one of my Corelle ware bowls, my preferred way to reheat is to set the bowl in a little water in a saucepan, cover with the lid, and simmer 10 min or so. Perfect reheating!

I haven't yet eaten out of the bag, but will have to give that a try. Not terribly civilized, but of you're by yourself, who cares.

Maggie
Old 11-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #328

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I haven't yet eaten out of the bag, but will have to give that a try. Not terribly civilized, but of you're by yourself, who cares.
Any plastic that is marked "microwave safe" can be safely boiled, too, because any microwave can heat water to boiling; it makes no difference how the water is heated, boiling is boiling, so "microwave safe" also means "safe to dunk in a boiling pot of water." Ziploc bags are made of food-grade plastics and don't leach chemicals into the food unless you heat them to about 1500°F, so unless you cook with an acetylene torch…
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Old 11-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #329
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddledipper View Post
I like the idea of preparing dinners at home dividing leftovers into small portions and freezing them in quart size freezer bags. Taking the frozen bags along with you to heat up while camping. Eating these leftovers a month later while on camping trip isn't much like eating leftovers and all the prep work was done at home in your kitchen!
Yes, that works well for us, too!
Microwave or induction cooktop is handy and keeps the cooking smells mostly out of the AS ... no bear trap for us.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #330
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Any plastic that is marked "microwave safe" can be safely boiled, too, because any microwave can heat water to boiling; it makes no difference how the water is heated, boiling is boiling, so "microwave safe" also means "safe to dunk in a boiling pot of water." Ziploc bags are made of food-grade plastics and don't leach chemicals into the food unless you heat them to about 1500°F, so unless you cook with an acetylene torch…
True, but there is often a leakage issue with food frozen in traditional, ziploc bags, that you don't have with the vacuum sealer bags.

Altho, we have been known to set frozen zipocs, on a paper plate with a paper towel on it, in the frig to defrost, which deals with that issue nicely.

Maggie
Old 11-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #331

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
True, but there is often a leakage issue with food frozen in traditional, ziploc bags, that you don't have with the vacuum sealer bags.
I used Ziploc as an easily recognizable name-brand example. Plus, Paula's post about eating out of the bag reminded me of Ziploc omelettes that people used to say were hazardous but really aren't.

The point of the post was, if the packaging says "microwave safe" you can heat it in a pot of boiling water. No matter what brand. Including vacuum sealer bags.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 11-07-2014, 10:52 PM   #332
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
For a short trip, I generally knock myself out before the trip making up healthy main dishes, bread, &c. This gets impossible for a long trip, when I found that its best to get some pre-bagged salad greens (something I don't do at home, but when traveling it's less muss & fuss, wraps for sandwiches (they don't crush or crumble or even need refrigeration.) Starting with prepared dips like hummus, a little feta and olives, red wine-- and supper is served. Something like a noodle bowl is also easy-- add thinly cut-up veggies, tofu, and soy sauce or other seasoning to hot noodles. Breakfast is often granola with fresh fruit and soy milk.

Our poor 16' Bambi has gone for salvage, but I used to joke about baking square cookies so that they would better fit in my limited fridge & cupboards with no wasted space. The amount of cupboard space in our soon-to-be 19' Bambi seems capacious by comparison.

For our next longer trip, I might do some sleuthing ahead of time to locate health food stores along our route. This is easier to do in some areas than others, but western resort-type communities usually have a good natural foods store or two.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:33 AM   #333
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Small-space meal plans and recipes are a wonderful idea, especially for a single guy like me who doesn't want elaborate preparation or myriad ingredients just to feed myself— I have little patience for cooking, so my crock pots (I have three: 4-quart, 1˝-quart, and 12v-1˝ quart) are my number-one go-to kitchen appliances. I'll only bring one with me on any given trip, and I only bring the 4-quart if I'm preparing a dish for a potluck dinner.

While camping, my Cobb Grill (AKA "Kitchen in a bag") is my number-two go-to appliance.
I used to use a crock pot at home much more frequently than I do now, but since we got into the freezer-based lifestyle by virtue of backyard gardening, it became too small and I now use a 15-quart stock pot and a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok almost exclusively. We even tracked down a Fagor 30-inch gas cooktop that, owing to its unusual European design, can accept both vessels simultaneously.

Pretty much anything you can cook in a crock pot is stew-y enough to freeze well, so I would tend to do any such cooking at home and then take with. Assuming we have a frozen food workaround, that is.

Now, as for the grill, that is an issue we had not yet solved. Where to carry a grill in an Interstate?? Even if it's very small, there is still the issue of the smoky smell, which tends to persist even if it is cleaned out. We had almost resolved that the best option is disposable grills (glorified aluminum baking pans costing about six bucks apiece), but I will definitely be checking out the Cobb.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #334
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
MAGGIE - Isn't it wonderful to be so darned old that we didn't HAVE NO STINKIN' MICROWAVES when we learned to cook? Reheating on a stove top is now a revolutionary idea! What's old is new again.

Paula
I actually AM that old... I can't remember when I first had access to a microwave but I believe I was in grad school by that point, so probably 23 years of age.

However, once we started serious gardening and were harvesting and cooking up to 15 pounds of food per week at peak season, the full freezer-based lifestyle kicked in and now we can't live without them. Some folks proudly announce that their cooking-intensive kitchens have double ovens. I only have one oven, but I have double microwaves.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:52 AM   #335
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
I used Ziploc as an easily recognizable name-brand example. Plus, Paula's post about eating out of the bag reminded me of Ziploc omelettes that people used to say were hazardous but really aren't.

The point of the post was, if the packaging says "microwave safe" you can heat it in a pot of boiling water. No matter what brand. Including vacuum sealer bags.
Y'all are reminded me of years of backcountry camping where we would eat exclusively out of bags for a week at a stretch, except that most of those bags had the words "Mountain House" written on them. Their version beef teriyaki in particular represented a quality breakthrough in freeze-dried food quality, and they also had very good breakfast egg scramble choices.

The one thing we could never figure out, however, is why freeze-dried foods gave so much gas. What is it about taking water out and then putting it back in later that causes this problem?? We may never know.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:55 AM   #336
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am that old, too.....probably quite a bit older than both of you.

My kids claimed our household was that last in at least the US to have a microwave....it was in the mid-80's, I think.

I have double ovens, and love them. No oven in the Interstate, tho, which challenged my cooking when we were on extended trips.

Voila!!.....Dutch Ovens!

Maggie