Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2014, 09:07 AM   #361
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
The microwave is good for storage also.
That's where I carry my paper plates and paper towels, stuff that won't damage the microwave itself.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #362
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have one of those soft, collapsible cork bowls in mine, and keep crackers, etc., in there.

Airtight when closed, and the bowl makes for easy removal if I want to reheat something.

Maggie
Old 11-20-2014, 04:35 AM   #363
1 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Carrollton , Texas
Smile small space heater?

Having just come off a bitter cold trip with my RV group in my Airstream Class B Avenue van, I am in a disappointed that the manufacturer did not add heat vents from the furnace to the front half of the van. Yes, it did get freezing here in the DFW metroplex last weekend. The only hot air was coming out from the two furnace vents under the back sofa/bed. That was not adequate to warm the passenger seats in the front half of the van. So my dog Pepe and I were quite cold during the day. When I am working or eating at the little insert table nestled between the front and middle seats, the area is waaaaaaaaay too cold. So does anyone one have an idea of a heating unit that is suitable for small spaces that I could plug in, to warm the front half of the van?
Thanks!
Bess
TexasGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:03 AM   #364
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGal View Post
Having just come off a bitter cold trip with my RV group in my Airstream Class B Avenue van, I am in a disappointed that the manufacturer did not add heat vents from the furnace to the front half of the van. Yes, it did get freezing here in the DFW metroplex last weekend. The only hot air was coming out from the two furnace vents under the back sofa/bed. That was not adequate to warm the passenger seats in the front half of the van. So my dog Pepe and I were quite cold during the day. When I am working or eating at the little insert table nestled between the front and middle seats, the area is waaaaaaaaay too cold. So does anyone one have an idea of a heating unit that is suitable for small spaces that I could plug in, to warm the front half of the van?
Thanks!
Bess
This is the one I use for supplemental heating in my Interstate: http://www.amazon.com/Duraflame-DFHD...p+space+heater.
But as long as you get a "desktop" heater, and it has a switch on the bottom that turns it off if it tips over, you'll do all right, regardless of brand.

If you have carpet where you want to place the heater, it's not a bad idea to set a small cutting board on the floor, so the heater has a solid base for that tip-over switch to make contact against.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:15 AM   #365
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, a small space heater......and, something warm on your feet.

Keeping your feet warm makes all the difference.

Maggie
Old 11-20-2014, 06:55 AM   #366
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Remember that anything you have set out must be secured for travel, or you will find items all over your floor when you stop for the night.
Maggie
Am I seeing what I think I might be seeing in this attached photo? Has anyone investigated whether there are steel structural members beneath the aluminum inner skin that would be close enough to the surface for attachment of small magnetic storage containers??

If this were the case, THAT would be SWEET. All manner of small object could be organized and stored that way (not just spices but fuses, hardware, meds, coins, etc). I had thought of this idea but assumed that, with the aluminum and the underlying insulation, there wouldn't be any accessible steel.

This is an Interstate currently for sale on eBay and it caught my eye because (a) it's apparently being auctioned with no reserve and (b) it's the same model year as mine, except it has something attached to the wall there that mine does not have. Here's the URL in case anyone wants to examine further.

2007 Airstream Interstate 22 Rear Lounge Used | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ebaygrab_annot.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	227019  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:07 AM   #367
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know, I just don't know.

I have tried magnetics all over the interior, and found nothing to which they would adhere, but for the steel area over the burners, where I have successfully had a magnetic paper towel holder the past couple of years.

Love it, works great.....and, no, I don't worry about fires. It doesn't hang that low, and if I have the heat high to boil water for pasta or something, I simply slip the paper towel roll off the bar. I suppose, if one had the burner up high, and nothing on it, and really tried, you could set the paper towels on fire.

That little rack above the galley is where I keeo spice jars and other small items. Very handy there. I bought pretty bottles with brushed stainless caps, fill them from the health food store.

As I love magnets, I mounted with double stick tape one of those small memo boards (black) made for lockers, etc., and have my magnets there. Works great.

Also, the little bar that is part of the blind in the kitchen will take small magnets....I have ladybugs, tiny frogs, handmade of glass that I picked up somewhere.....I like the color.

You could also put up magnetic strips that are sticky backed. I have seen those somewhere. There is also sticky backed magnetic tape you can cut....I suspect that is what is used in the photo, as that area will not accept magnets.....I know, because I have tried.

Maggie
Old 11-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #368
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
You know, I just don't know.

I have tried magnetics all over the interior, and found nothing to which they would adhere, but for the steel area over the burners, where I have successfully had a magnetic paper towel holder the past couple of years.

Maggie
There's another possibility - that this previous AI owner replaced the original magnets on these containers with super-strong magnets. Therefore even if an ordinary magnet would not adhere, the resulting configuration would.

I will investigate the potential for this to work because I would really like to have something like this for sorting and storing small objects. We, too, are fond of magnetic devices. My engineer husband buys super-strong magnets on the internet and puts them on our fridge. I need two hands to pry them off.

Historically they have been a bit hard to procure because they are dangerous, as in life-threatening, in certain situations - particularly if the smaller ones are swallowed by toddlers or young children. They will perforate the intestines as they attract to each other and a child can bleed to death internally before anyone even realizes what's transpiring.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:03 AM   #369
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The super strong ones also like to band together, rather like cells multiplying, wherever you try to put them or store them.

I forgot to mention that I put the little memo board for magnets on the outside of the aluminum covered bathroom door.

Maggie
Old 11-20-2014, 08:15 AM   #370
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Boerne , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGal View Post
So does anyone one have an idea of a heating unit that is suitable for small spaces that I could plug in, to warm the front half of the van?
When we bought ours the PO had a small electric heater in it. We cleaned it up and it works great for small spaces. I have used similar in my office. They aren't expensive. I've seen similar ones at Wal-mart and Target.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #371
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Boerne , Texas
Great tips, everyone. I like the idea of using the microwave for storage. Seems it would keep that silly little spinning plate from moving if I did fill it with paper goods. Unfortunately, right now, it's still in the box in came in because we haven't reconfigured the kitchen for mounting it yet. Someday...

I used the kitchen sink to hold aerosol cans and dishsoap last trip and forgot it was in there. Now there is a blue layer of dawn in the sink. As soon as I'm hooked up to water, I'll have to clean that out.

And we've tried the "super strong" magnets with not much luck. I'm thinking of adding some sort of sheet metal backsplash in the kitchen when we remodel that section so that there is something to stick magnetic spice racks to.

We just put a futon in... I hope it doesn't move around too much in travel.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #372
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I secure hand soap and shampoo pump dispensers to their respective places using a bit of velcro stuck to the side of the bottle and the wall. Use in place, and remove to refill. Those little velcro buttons are good.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #373
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Basking Ridge , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by campindaisy View Post
When we bought ours the PO had a small electric heater in it. We cleaned it up and it works great for small spaces. I have used similar in my office. They aren't expensive. I've seen similar ones at Wal-mart and Target.

I used a little one and in an hour and half it raised the temp from 36 to 50. I was just experimenting to see what works and what doesn't. Also I didn't want waste propane in my driveway when I'm connected to shore power

Silver 2014.5 Interstate EXT
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #374
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by campindaisy View Post
Great tips, everyone. I like the idea of using the microwave for storage. ...
Also sink and microwave for opened packaged food storage that doesn't otherwise fit anywhere or I don't necessarily want to be digging inside vertically-faced cabinets while the vehicle is in motion (for instance, snacks on-the-go). We have this issue of a dog who is a virtuoso when it comes to getting her jaws around any item of food or trash. The smallest hint of food residue in trash will result in the shredding of the entire bag or can. I just realized that she won't be able to get into the sink or microwave. This is good. I had planned to put a collapsible trash receptacle in the wet bath. But this is not ideal because someone must move that out to use the wet bath, and therein will reside the dog's golden opportunity.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #375
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Boerne , Texas
Yeah, we have a pooch that likes to eat toilet paper. Can you say "eww"?
Old 11-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #376
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Has anyone with the 2005-2007 Interstate switched out the microwave for a micro-convection oven.

Thanks

Kate
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:51 AM   #377
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
Has anyone with the 2005-2007 Interstate switched out the microwave for a micro-convection oven.

Thanks

Kate
I know someone whom I believe has done this with their 2007, but they are on the road for Thanksgiving right now. I'll try to get info when they return. It's one of the things that I want to look into also.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:34 AM   #378
1 Rivet Member

2011 Avenue Coach
Carrollton , Texas
Thanks for the link. That type of heater is exactly what I need.
Bess
TexasGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #379
X New Yorker

2013 Interstate Coach
Springfield , Massachusetts
Thank you all for your posts, I have been studying as I pick up my rv tomorrow. I'm a newbie first timer, so I'm sucking up all the hints & tips I can. Thank you again!
X New Yorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #380
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Ummmm, read this thread and we won't all have to repeat it.
Alternatively, they can read this blog post below which will be a lot more efficient.

This thread is excellent but it's now approaching 370 comments long, which takes quite a bit of time and energy to read through. I have attempted to take the best of the small-space ideas from here and consolidate them into a giant linkpost (adding some of my own ideas in the process). Some of the referenced products I can't find links for, some get crummy reviews on the internet, and some are not strictly small-space (e.g., anything cast iron tends to get a veto from me). But most of what is here is now also there, in much shorter form, and I will continue to refine it in the future.

Any way to make this comment sticky and/or move the blog post link to the top of the thread? I have visions of people going, "Oh, geez, I can't believe I read through 400 comments only to find the summary I needed at the very end!!"

THE INTERSTATE BLOG: BEST OF "SMALL SPACE LIVING", PART 1: PRODUCTS

Thanks for all the ideas! I got some of my holiday shopping done this morning just be reading through this entire list (finally).