Old 07-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #1653
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
I use a small, flat storage container from a sliced lunch meat package. They're fairly small, easy to get into, and when I had under-seat storage, it worked perfectly. Not sure where I'm going to put it in the Interstate cab yet though.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:09 AM   #1654
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Coin Tubes

Coin tubes come in a variety of sizes and materials. I like these square ones because they are made with a plastic that tends to contain the rattle noise and because they are square they don't roll around. Also, the caps fit with a positive motion and satisfying snugness.

https://amzn.to/2xHcNPl
or
https://amzn.to/2YMGmKZ

Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #1655
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
FYI. The Canadian coins fit also. The container is about 1.25 in diameter and 3.5 in tall (both measurement a bit over). Very common size that any drug store would have. I get the with the child proof lock. Sometimes I use the easy open top - it is a bit shorter.

These have tons of uses including toothpicks, gum, some thicker liquids upright, bandaids, paper lips, etc.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #1656
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
FYI, these medication bottles will hold 34 $1 coins ... and 37 if one uses the expansion space in the child proof lid
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #1657
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Bolted onto the centre console.
(Not sure if it fits loonies or not)

https://www.amazon.com/Advantus-MCG1...19934797&psc=1
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #1658
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
Bolted onto the centre console.
(Not sure if it fits loonies or not)
Nope. Does not fit loonies or twoonies.

To date, I've used zip-lock bags. One of which split at a critical moment and dumped coins all over the cab, all over the ground at the toll both... ugh (I told you it was a first world problem).

I've also been guilty of walking into a laundry with the wrong country's bag of coins in hand. It's inefficient.

The issue with "normal" coin holders is that nobody sane carries that much change around in their daily activities - it's like a pound or more. So the commercial offerings of coin purses are mostly too small and not strong enough. They'll split open from the weight.

This is a possibility - a pair of these, which are larger like wallet-sized, one bright red for Canada and blue for America. That way I'm less likely to screw up en route to the laundry.

And I could potentially hang them on the MOLLE seat back organizer.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #1659
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
Coin tubes come in a variety of sizes and materials. ....[/IMG]
I like those!! I'm going to measure the "slot" that is present in the left hand size of the T1N dash. There's a little cubby there which I have always under-utilized. Whether it's coin holders or something else, I have never decided what piece of gear to assign to that space. I worry about stuff rolling out of the open end. But maybe square coin holders, if they would fit, would go nicely there.

I can't measure today because our van is now in storage. We are not likely to be hit by the impending Hurricane Barry, but there's about a 25% chance that we are going to get a crap-ton of rain from it. So our Interstate has been put up for now.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #1660
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I ended up going with these - bought one in red, one in blue, same brand from the same seller on the same order. For reasons beyond comprehension, they could not ship on the same day, and so I only have the "American" one so far.

I like the coin tubes, but if they were placed on their sides here, with the scorching temperatures that we must endure (up to about 107 degrees inside the van on a GOOD day), I worried that the plastic might soften, the tops might pop off, and aaaaalll that change would be all over me, the floor, and the ground.

Amazon description (about $7 each): FurArt Genuine Leather Coin Purse,Change Purse With Zipper,Soft Leather Coin Pouch Mini Size

Old 07-15-2019, 07:28 AM   #1661
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Oro Valley , Arizona
Small Space Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

Amazon description (about $7 each): FurArt Genuine Leather Coin Purse,Change Purse With Zipper,Soft Leather Coin Pouch Mini Size

I think this is the correct link:

https://amzn.to/2lusOVR
Old 07-19-2019, 07:15 AM   #1662
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I've got a separate thread for cab table ideas, but this pic of my DIY arm rest caddy also captures the coinage solution if you peer through the bottom of the steering wheel.

Every teeny tiny bit of small space organization adds up.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:41 AM   #1663
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Small space clothing:

Believe it or not, this style of women's low-cost, low-bulk polycotton shorts has almost disappeared from the marketplace.

Every last pair of lower-cost women's shorts in Academy right now has a thick and bunchy elastic waistband. Every one of them - I checked.

That style is not good for the traveling I do because:

(1) It's uncomfortable for sleeping in. I always wear clothing to bed (not PJs) while highway-boondocking because you never know who will knock on the van at midnight (sometimes law enforcement).

(2) A thick elastic waist does not air-dry well during off-grid camping. It tends to remain soggy.

(3) In the deep south, we avoid elastic because it attracts chiggers.

(4) IMO those elasticated shorts also look terrible, like we are scrunching modified trash bags around our waists or something.

Anyway, at this point, it's an apocalyptic style of experience walking into one of the few remaining Sears brick-and-mortars. But they do have those shorts on the rack for eight bucks a pair.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:10 AM   #1664
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
PINE PLAINS , New York
Big Dog, Small Space

1966 Caravel - Compact, yet comfy! Even for a Big Dog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream - Abe in the Flo[w].jpg
Views:	9
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	347051  
lakemaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:56 AM   #1665
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Clothes Hamper

One problem we have encountered since leaving trailers for AIs, is the lack of somewhere to put dirty clothing. In the trailer, we used a see-thru mesh hamper in the closet that we could carry into the house after a trip. In the AI, that became an eyesore no matter where we tried to hang it. No one needs to see my dirty underwear, socks, and wadded up T-shirts!

I installed a permanent, opaque hamper in the AI that conceals our dirty clothing. I suspended it with footman's loops from the shelf I added beneath the rear upper cabinet. The hamper zips open at the bottom for emptying. On the road, we will empty it into a canvas tote to carry to the laundry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hamper.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	347164  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #1666
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Sometimes I need to go to considerable effort to DIY van upgrades.

Sometimes they simply fall off a retail shelf. Rarely, but case in point here: A Craftsman magnetic cup holder. They were intended for use with those large rolling upright Cadillac tool chests, to stick on the sides of them. But there is just enough steel exposed at our van's rear door latch that it fits nicely here.

A cup holder, in the rear of our Interstate - first time in 5 years.

Of course, it can also be taken outside and stuck on the side of the van when needed. A very good find, especially given that it fits every cup that I use on the road, and a few that I do not. The magnet is very strong - it will hold a 30-ounce Yeti.