Old 11-24-2018, 07:32 AM   #1527
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Speaking of Vornado fans, we're in the AI on shore power for most of the next six weeks and I wanted to get away from the noisy propane furnace. That furnace waits until you are too cold, then comes on loudly and stays on until you are roasting and shedding blankets.

After messing with a borrowed space heater, I knew I wanted something better than what $30 would buy. Vornado makes a wide range of products, some that boast "automatic temperature control" or some similar description. I read reviews and saw one being hailed as very quiet, the AVH10. I was intrigued enough to drop $100 to check it out and I've been pleasantly surprised. It pushes air gently in multiple directions so now the interior of the van is MUCH more evenly heated. When it's on low, I don't notice it being on even when sitting near it. On high setting and positioned near the front pointing back, we never hear it when in bed.

It draws about 6A or 7A of 110v on low, 12A on high. Footprint is 12x10 at the base. Bigger than I wanted, but worth it. Here's an Amazon link:
https://amzn.to/2OV6sWB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	91nBH3qGWDL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	328454  

Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:50 AM   #1528
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Long Island , New York
I second the Vornado. Quiet, no burning smell and efficient. Plus it has remote control is you want to use it. Well worth it.

2019 23FB International Serenity
2018 Jeep Overland 5.7L Hemi with factory towing package
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Wally Bryan Airstream Club #2600

Id rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:31 AM   #1529
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Anacortes , Washington
Heating (&cooling)

We recently splurged for a Dyson hot/cold unit while passing through Oregon (no sales tax) and Costco had them at $100 off
It is small and very quiet (pretty well silent) and sits nicely between the two front seats and has a remote and not only does it heat but it will provide cooling as well. Their literature says it also had a hepa filter to remove pollen etc and it also can oscillate if desired.
So far we have not seen how well the cooling function works but certainly it provides enough heat to keep the inside very comfortable - Of course you need to be plugged into shore power but we have never used the propane heater for over night due to the noise and the fact it resides only a few inches below where my head is while sleeping
We are hoping the cooling feature will pay dividends when we eventually find ourselves in warmer climes and will post more on this if we ever get to where it is warm or even hot. !
Interstate20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:56 AM   #1530
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
How does the cooling part of the Dyson work? Is it simply a fan? If it is more than a fan, is there a tube that rejects the hot side of the (thermionic?) cooler to the outside of the van? If not all you are doing is trading off cooling on one side of the thing for heating on the other side of the thing.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:28 AM   #1531
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Aaaaand Im reminded of why I sprung for ultra-durable removable, clean-able carpet tiles, because our dog just threw up on them...
InterBlog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:14 AM   #1532
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
The Dyson fan only accomplishes cooling the same way other fans do... by moving ambient air over your skin.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:49 AM   #1533
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Here on one of the longest forum threads ever, I cannot remember if I ever posted this, but the full-timers Far Out Ride published an alternative today, so I thought of it. (By the way, if anyone needs pretty pics for their Friday, their November travelogue is awesome. Almost all pics, few words, as it should be.)

For those of you who stay off-grid for lengths of time, I recommend getting a couple of large MSR Dromedary bags so that you can fetch water to top off your fresh tank without needing to use a hose connection.

These things have been lifesavers for me. I fill them via the wide mouth in someone's bathtub or sink, then re-attach the large cap and "squirt" the water into our sideways-loading tank by squishing them between the side of the van and my chest. An inelegant sight, but it works well. It works because there are effectively three openings to each Dromedary - cap completely off for fill, squirt cap completely off for medium stream, and squirt cap on for small stream (difficult to describe but readily apparent if you examine the bag). After use, I hang them to dry in our wet bath. The little squirt caps can be unscrewed and stored inside the bag itself, so that the interiors can dry well without the caps getting lost.

Far Out Ride bought this beer bong on Amazon to accomplish the same type of transfer. However the bong is hard-sided and doesn't collapse for storage. It would take up too much room, and it leaves unanswered the logistic of transporting water from the source to the fill port.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #1534
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
AUSTIN , TX
I bought the "personal" heater from Vornado. It didn't have great reviews but I wanted something smaller for the AI. Used it this weekend and kept the inside temp at 70 while it was 44 outside. Worked great.

Vornado VH202 Personal Space Heater, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VXEJ6PC..._2aDdCbNZCEAQJ
TX-Newbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #1535
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I've had good luck with one similar by lasko. Works great in an AI and saves your propane.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #1536
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Northfield , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Newbie View Post
I bought the "personal" heater from Vornado. It didn't have great reviews but I wanted something smaller for the AI. Used it this weekend and kept the inside temp at 70 while it was 44 outside. Worked great.

Vornado VH202 Personal Space Heater, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VXEJ6PC..._2aDdCbNZCEAQJ
I'm a newbie so I'm really asking a question..... doesn't the propane heater vent to the underside to keep the water and gray tanks from freezing... ??
rwigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #1537
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwigley View Post
I'm a newbie so I'm really asking a question..... doesn't the propane heater vent to the underside to keep the water and gray tanks from freezing... ??
Not on the Interstate. The fresh and gray tanks are exposed. They do have heating pads that will keep them from freezing a few degrees below 32. You have to be plugged in or running for the pads to be practical; otherwise they will run the batteries down in a hurry.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #1538
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
AUSTIN , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwigley View Post
WRIGLEY. this was more for heating inside the AI. I didn't want to run the generator and furnace the whole time so this was a great alternative.
TX-Newbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:25 AM   #1539
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Your van needs the item on the left, or something of equivalent capabilities. The item on the right is yet another cheaply made victim of perpetual uncontrolled temperature and humidity.

I keep trying to ferret out all the cheap crap that crept into our Interstate over the years, but I still get surprised by new and unexpected failures. The 25-year-old Swiss army knife saved my bacon twice on this trip.

. Click image for larger version

Name:	20181226_CAN-OPENER-FAIL.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	557.5 KB
ID:	330416
Old 12-29-2018, 06:28 PM   #1540
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
First of two (second comes tomorrow) -

In this location, I had been using smaller shoe pockets cut from a hanging device I got at Container Store. Those pockets would only accommodate one shoe in each pocket, so, two pairs fit here under that arrangement.

This IKEA shoe organizer has more generously-sized, baggy pockets. It's called a Stuk, which seems fitting given that I cut out and stuck part of it on the back of this flip-down cabinet face. They cost a whopping six bucks.

It's tight and I have to ease them in gently, but herein lies two pairs of shower flip flops, my low-heeled leather pumps, and my Cabela's sheepskin slippers. Four pairs now, not two.