Old 11-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #1513
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Not to be too caviler, but what about taping the backing with duct tape, and re-taping after cleaning?

Duct tape won’t stand up well to immersion. I could re-tape, yes, but I like tinkering and so that’s why I’m experimenting with other methods that might produce less hassle and greater versatility.

It occurred to me this morning that I have some leftover gray tapestry floss from when I bound the edges of my perforated aluminum table top. I might try some center knots to augment the corner zip ties. That will prevent all the weight from bearing on the corners when I pick these up for cleaning.

The purpose, again, is to have something that looks great AND takes all the abuse without requiring special treatment. “Less stuff but higher-quality stuff” proves to be the most functional option time and time again. I have found that life off-grid is about a hundred times easier when stuff just works without requiring heroic measures. Otherwise, yes, I’d go with some IKEA product or something similar.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #1514
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I think the zip ties are a good way to go, IB, but would add something fabric-like that adheres to the backing that will keep the parts from moving too much when you clean them.

Otherwise, I fear the backing will give way, develop holes, etc.

Maggie

Old 11-19-2018, 05:01 AM   #1515
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
If you think you would be able to sew them physically together, then I think that would be the most satisfactory solution.

The zip tie method to me is less than ideal because of the physical bump needed for the tie-keeper to be there.

Or there may be some marine-specific tapes that would perform better than BORG duck tape.

You might be able to use a fuse-on product as a backing for sewing the squares together. (I'm thinking of those knee patches our moms ironed on our jeans when we were kids.) A half-circle of that over the intersections, with a heated fuse of the mending patch, and then a basting together of the pieces. Filaments to consider would be fishing line, dental floss, or the tapestry thread. Is there sunbrella thread? A non-rotting thread would enhance the life of the seam.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:27 AM   #1516
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Forgot to add that there are many types of upholstery needles. Get a pack if you don't have one. There is a curved one that may be easer to use. Sew like a surgeon with pliers.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:53 AM   #1517
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Teeny tiny drill bits. Drill holes in that tough backing first, less wear and tear on the fingers. I do have tapestry needles from when I did my computer table project.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:30 AM   #1518
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
IB
I must have missed it in a previous post, sorry, What is it about the adhesive disks that is or will not work.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:33 AM   #1519
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Currently Looking...
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Hi, you don’t think the adhesive ‘dots’ that come with the FLOR tiles to join them together will work out? Works fine for me. I think you can get more dots so you could have more adhesive junctures than corners and middles. I‘d worry the zip ties are going to create bumps in the corners and ruin the look.
As for keeping them clean, I just run our small Dyson rechargeable vac over them every couple days and they’re spotless. Honestly I’ve never thought about bringing them outside to ‘beat’. They seem to stay clean.
Good luck whatever you decide!
Rich
Rg416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #1520
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
IB
I must have missed it in a previous post, sorry, What is it about the adhesive disks that is or will not work.
Those were designed for light-duty static residential use. They keep the tiles from sliding around on a dry house floor - they don't adhere the tiles together.

I'm looking for a method that will attach them strongly enough to allow me to take them outside the van and beat them with a stick. Or throw the three groups of them in the lake when they get too muddy.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #1521
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Okay, got it, so it sounds like the adhering them together is more about being able to pick it up as a unit for cleansing.

I think I also fall into the group of people that would not zip tie them together. caveat being you have a engineered based mind with lots of interesting fixes for things.

I could see where the sewing them together might be interesting.Maybe large criss cross basting type of stitches.

I'm thinking for immersing them in water they could go as single units but the ShakeOut is definitely a one big piece idea. Vacuuming sounds good.

I'll keep a watch to see how it turns out. Hope to use these in our trailers in the future. We tend to like a hard surface flooring but then something warm underfoot as we often walk around barefoot or in socks throughout the day.

Hittenstiehl
Old 11-21-2018, 03:32 AM   #1522
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chicago area , Illinois
If I’m remembering correctly, FLOR tiles are not light. Taping a run of them together will result in something pretty unwieldy I think.

A wide gaffer’s tape would probably work well if adhered to a clean underside of a carpet square.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:38 AM   #1523
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Augmenting the Flor zip ties with tapestry floss. Knotted on the front side, not visible due to color match. Interestingly, the join begins to function as a hinge when done like this.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:16 AM   #1524
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
IB that looks great. Very similar to what I was trying to describe but much more elegant and functional. it is fun to watch you work out the details, you'll have it all solved by the time I get to putting any in our trailer.

Hittenstiehl
Old 11-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #1525
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I bought a 3 foot long piece of carpet off of a 12' wide roll and cut it to fit our AI from the back of the bathroom door (just below the front of the bed when its in the always-down-for-us position to the front of the cab area, between the seats. I had to trim the pile a bit where the fridge door closes to keep it from getting stuck in the door. It has foam back that has stuck itself to the vinyl floor. Surprisingly, we do not find ourselves tripping over it as we get up front seats and walk back, even though it does not stick at all to the cab-area carpet. (Thought I might have to put velcro on the back of it.) We even fold it back from the cab area at least once a year to remove and clean the cab area carpet. We (as in my wife) vacuums it daily. We don't drag in the sawdust as others do and don't have a dog to contend with. I am sure that there is a lot of embedded dirt by now and its time to buy and cut a new piece. But it has served us well - much warmer to walk on when we get up at night barefoot and it at least seems cleaner because we don't feel the sand underfoot.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:34 AM   #1526
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
1/ I’m loving the Flor tiles. We made our first mini-road trip with all three of us, and they worked well. No sliding around, no catching a foot on the edge of them.

2/ At some point, someone recommended this little heater called a Vornado. It’s great. In true gomboc style, it really won’t tip. I put a waffle-weave silicone pot holder under it to absorb vibration and prevent a hum from transmitting through the cabinet. It’s a good use for the pot holder. Silicone does not burn in a typical sense of combustion. If the temperature ever gets too high, it just crumbles into a white ash with no flame (ask me how I know this).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0798.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	328394