Old 10-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #1457
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yeah, I thought about that, too.

One of the things I like about the throw rugs is their ability to be shaken and into the washing machine, but these look like they would vacuum up nicely and one could use some of that dry carpet cleaner periodically.

I’m going to have to have this, I do believe, and with the new configuration will probably go with a T shape so there is carpet across the back and in front of the bench.

I love the red, also the purple , but the Mink would look best with what I’ve already got in there for decor, I think.

Maggie

Old 10-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #1458
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
This is nice, and would work for many here, but our Interstates won’t accommodate something 24” wide...20” width is what works for our ittie bitties, which is what the Flor product is.

Maggie

Old 10-05-2018, 06:36 PM   #1459
2 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Northfield , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
This is nice, and would work for many here, but our Interstates won’t accommodate something 24” wide...20” width is what works for our ittie bitties, which is what the Flor product is.

Maggie
I use

Maples Rugs Runner Rug - Reggie Artwork Collection 2 x 6 Non Skid Hallway Carpet Entry Rugs Runners [Made in USA] for Kitchen and Entryway, 2' x 6' https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071J2YDCW..._xS1TBbDZX4MBM
rwigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:48 AM   #1460
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Apologies if I've already posted this pic further up the thread (the LONG thread).

I use this institutional mat from Home Depot, cut down to about the 19 inch width of our aisle. It has a weave that does not unravel when cut, and it's rubber-backed so it doesn't slip. About twenty bucks... I think it's called Traffic Master or something. It's commercial grade so it takes a tremendous beating without showing any wear.

It's also my potential ace up the sleeve if I ever get sand-bogged or mud-bogged. I'll put it under a drive wheel for traction and it's tough enough that I expect it to stand up. I'd rather not destroy it, but replacing it would be far less money than other options in a stuck scenario.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:10 AM   #1461
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I tried a commercial runner a couple of years back, mostly cut to fit , but it wasn’t of this quality and I had it only one winter.

Difficult to keep clean, it was a wet winter, dog vomited on it once, I threw it in the washing machine and that was the end of that.

The Flor tiles and colors are very appealing to me, I’m deciding if I want to spend the money.

Mine would go all the way back, because I like to cover the portals for the table legs, as I don’t use them...mine came with two tables, I believe.

I like that with the individual tiles you can customize it to provide one uninterrupted front-to-back rug.

The picture shown is very attractive, in my opinion, looking more household than industrial.

We’ll see.

Maggie
Old 10-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #1462
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Looking at the Flor website, they have a wide variety of these carpet tiles, all individually adhering to each other but not to the floor...and they are washable.

If there was a spill or doggie event, the soiled tiles could just be picked up and put in the washing machine.

I’m still pondering, but they are very appealing.

Maggie
Old 10-06-2018, 10:32 AM   #1463
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
They sell Flor samples for $2 each.

I am not sure that 19.7" would be ideal for the T1N Interstate.

Also, I clean our existing runner by the old school method - taking it out and smashing it up against the nearest tree or structure (no vacuuming off-grid). I'm not sure how these would work if they were removed from the van on almost a daily basis. I suspect I'd have to stitch them together and then not use the adhesives. Stitched together, the bulk of them would be self-holding in place.

Anyway, I plan to cut 19.7" x 19.7" squares of construction paper and see how they look in the Interstate. If I like them, I'm going to order a half dozen samples or so. If I like the quality of the samples, I might buy.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:09 AM   #1464
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would vacuum these, taking up to wash if necessary.

You could also sweep them.

My rig is having some cosmetic work done, so not here to measure, but I suspect there is at least one spot where a 20” runner would be too wide...the spot where the galley ends and couches begin, if I recall correctly.

The trim there protrudes a bit.

I believe my current throw rugs are 20” wide, and that spot is why they are rugs and not a runner.

Tho, one could have a runner in the galley area and a different shape in the back.

Having a crosswise bench in the new one allows for a different configuration back there.

I think these are a great idea for our small spaces, tho kind of spendy as my MN friends would say.

Maggie
Old 10-06-2018, 07:30 PM   #1465
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
Flor Tiles

I feel like I'm late to the party here but feel the need to jump in on the subject of Flor.
We have quite a few years' experience with these in our home. We use them as entry and stairway landing "rugs" and also use one as a runner in our upstairs hallway. There's lots of good things about them but a few possible deal breakers that you might want to consider:
1. They take FOREVER to dry. If you're using them to manage puppy problems as we have, or dog/cat/child digestive issues, this means easily several days with a patchwork floor covering for each incident.
2. They're heavy and those dots they provide to keep them together aren't really adequate. But duct tape works!
3. You cannot put them is a washing machine. The backing is heavy (1/4"?) thick vinyl. It doesn't bend well.

But.. they do clean well with a hose and look good for several years. You have lots of design options, too.

An alternative to Flor that we're considering, because we've had such a good experience with three of them so far is Chilewich "shag" mats and woven vinyl mats. The largest size shag is 24x72in and easily trimmable. They're lightweight, dry FAST, catch a surprising amount of stuff, and clean like new. And ... comfy to walk, sit, and stretch on. I've had the woven vinyl in my kitchen for 11 years and it still looks great.
http://www.dwr.com/rugs-runners/chil...nner/8118.html

The downside is that they make Flor seem Ikea-inexpensive by comparison. I found two "seconds" at Homegoods for a fraction of retail, but I think my luck has run out. The best I can do for a 24x72 is at the current Design Within Reach sale: $136. There are other sizes as well. All pricey.
Definitely something to consider. Sure do wish I could find a less expensive imitation, though.
Hope this helps!
runswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:58 PM   #1466
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for all that info.

Maggie
Old 10-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #1467
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithdogs View Post
I feel like I'm late to the party here but feel the need to jump in on the subject of Flor.
We have quite a few years' experience with these in our home. We use them as entry and stairway landing "rugs" and also use one as a runner in our upstairs hallway. There's lots of good things about them but a few possible deal breakers that you might want to consider:
1. They take FOREVER to dry. If you're using them to manage puppy problems as we have, or dog/cat/child digestive issues, this means easily several days with a patchwork floor covering for each incident.
2. They're heavy and those dots they provide to keep them together aren't really adequate. But duct tape works!
3. You cannot put them is a washing machine. The backing is heavy (1/4"?) thick vinyl. It doesn't bend well.

But.. they do clean well with a hose and look good for several years. You have lots of design options, too.

An alternative to Flor that we're considering, because we've had such a good experience with three of them so far is Chilewich "shag" mats and woven vinyl mats. The largest size shag is 24x72in and easily trimmable. They're lightweight, dry FAST, catch a surprising amount of stuff, and clean like new. And ... comfy to walk, sit, and stretch on. I've had the woven vinyl in my kitchen for 11 years and it still looks great.
http://www.dwr.com/rugs-runners/chil...nner/8118.html

The downside is that they make Flor seem Ikea-inexpensive by comparison. I found two "seconds" at Homegoods for a fraction of retail, but I think my luck has run out. The best I can do for a 24x72 is at the current Design Within Reach sale: $136. There are other sizes as well. All pricey.
Definitely something to consider. Sure do wish I could find a less expensive imitation, though.
Hope this helps!

Thanks for sharing. Have you trimmed these before? Will they unravel or fray if cut?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2018, 11:27 PM   #1468
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
A friend of mine uses Chilewich rugs in her Bambi. Some of them are made of vinyl shag and has had them for 4 or 5 years and no sign of wear. She said they stay in place well. She bought two door mat sizes and puts them together inside or can move them around including outside. I will likely buy some in the spring for the AI.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:19 AM   #1469
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithdogs View Post

1. They take FOREVER to dry. ..

... ...
^^ Something we typically don't have to worry about in the Deep South. I once shrank a batch of clothing by leaving it out in the sun to dry (the sun is hotter than a clothes dryer here). Totally destroyed it.

I have one of the polymer rugs (not Chilewich but SOB) on my patio. I'm totally amazed by how it has stood up. It is immune to ultraviolet degradation. But the style I have is woven and therefore un-trimmable.

One thing the Chilewhich mats have working against them: BORING! They've mixed in a few colors, but I don't like stripes and the textures are blah.

For $20 one can get a comparable-looking institutional mat at the BORG (maybe not with multi-colored stripes). To clean the BORG mat, I hose it off in our driveway. I put some Dawn dish soap on it and scrub it with a broom. Hose it off again. Looks like new.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #1470
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
When God was handing out patience, I was in the other line getting a second helping of mathematical aptitude.

I ordered 4 samples of various Flor patterns that might coordinate well with the gray T1N decor. I want to see what the product is like. If it doesn't work and I don't like any of them, then I'm only out nine bucks.

And -- your lucky day might come -- once I get done with my touchy feely experiment, I'll put the samples on the trading post thread so that anyone else who is interested can see the product for themselves. Maybe we can pass them around the country.